Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is this forum so liberal/far left wing?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

random1337 wrote: »
    Yes but I mean do boardsie posters represent the views of the general Irish youth?
    I'm asking do right wingers either not post on this board or just don't exist today in Ireland?

I'd say boards posters represent the views of the general Irish youth but not Irish society. So i think right wing people and people with opposite views of the points in the first post would generally be older people rather than younger people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

user53 wrote: »
    I'd say boards posters represent the views of the general Irish youth but not Irish society. So i think right wing people and people with opposite views of the points in the first post would generally be older people rather than younger people.

That moisturiser was money well spent:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Not necessarily, it could be interpreted in other ways too.

A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook last year after watching 12 years a Slave that he was "ashamed to be white". He's Irish and his ancestors obviously weren't involved in the slave trade of the Americas. That means these Hollywood blockbuster films are instilling a collective white guilt complex into White people around the world, when every race has engaged in slavery and had equally barbaric pasts.

Yeah. The real privilege there is american privilege , so dominant a culture that people who don't live there think they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd put it down to demographics.

Some of these are simply reflective of a more progressive and modern Ireland i.e support with gay marriage is widespread across Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Maybe turn off the TV and pick up a history book and you might find that slavery existed outside of the American Slave Trade. ALL empires and civilizations engaged in Slavery at MASS scales.

Murder & Rape are exclusive to European Nations?? Again nearly every country in existence today would have wiped out tribes in that area before them. Red Indians and Aussie Aboriginals weren't the only groups to lose their land. All races/empires engaged in Colonization...

Incest??

Not sure you understood my post. My post was about Christian values as written in the Bible ?

Not sure you understood my post. My post was about Christian values as written in the Bible ?

Also traditional Christian values = family unit, have kids, against abortion, sexual abstinence outside marriage

Trying to imply "Traditional Christian values" stated in my OP was aimed at glorifying the violence in the old testament is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Not necessarily, it could be interpreted in other ways too.

A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook last year after watching 12 years a Slave that he was "ashamed to be white". He's Irish and his ancestors obviously weren't involved in the slave trade of the Americas. That means these Hollywood blockbuster films are instilling a collective white guilt complex into White people around the world, when every race has engaged in slavery and had equally barbaric pasts.

Or it could just be that your friend decided to interpret it that way?

I tend to think feeling shame in stuff you haven't done is idiotic - I also think feeling pride in attributes that are inert (like that which drives nationalism) is equally idiotic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Because the internet in general is full of hippies, layabouts and deviants not fit for the draft.

All the good folks are too busy manufacturing tenable goods and raising athletic and musically gifted children.

Also traditonal Christian values = family unit, have kids, against abortion, sexual abstinence outside marriage

Trying to imply "Traditional Christian values" stated in my OP was aimed at glorifying the violence in the old testament is absurd.

So when you mean Christian values you mean the ones that you pick and choose so suit yourself?

How about do on to others as you'd have done on to you and love thy neighbours with regards gay marriage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

So when you mean Christian values you mean the ones that you pick and choose so suit yourself?

How about do on to others as you'd have done on to you and love thy neighbours with regards gay marriage

Or not sending women away when they go against such values

What have the yanks got to do with this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Youtube video

That's anti-racism, so I'm not seeing what that has to do with "white guilt".
    random1337 wrote:
    Also traditional Christian values = family unit, have kids, against abortion,
    sexual abstinence outside marriage

Why bother?

In terms of economics I find the place right wing. Being pro gay marriage is centrist. Right wing on travellers. Divided on immigration. Anti-Catholic. Mostly anti-Islam but there are people who shout islamophobia.

There is a general consensus on popcorn being the best snack to sit back and watch a thread kick off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

From reading this forum I can see common themes re-occurring:

-Pro-Multiculturalism
    -Anti traditional Christian values
    -Against pride in their heritage/culture/traditions (white guilt)
    -Believe Gender is a social construct
    -Pro Gay-marriage

Btw, I am not stating whether I am for or against any of the above, I am just stating the general consensus this forum follows and wondering why.

Also do you think this forum typically represents the mindset of modern Irish youth?

100% with you OP. And no, Boards doesn't represent typical Irish youth. However, unfortunately, some gullible people often change their views to suit the masses. So, if someone wants to push an agenda, they try to influence different media (such as RTE, newspapers, Boards etc.) to give the impression that their views are dominant, and they sway the gullible people to their way of thinking.

But the questions are, who is doing this, where are they getting the money, and why are they doing it? I consider myself an average Irish fella, but every time I log on here, I am offended left-right-and centre by the plastic-paddy sh1te that's tolerated on here, but dare you express an "unpopular" opinion (unpopular by boards's standards) and you'll be red-carded into oblivion.

Boards is Ivana Bacik's wet dream. But not everybody subscribes to that kind of poisonous tripe. The text below is a post I wrote in another thread, I think it sums up Boards well:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91808077

Shinners - rarely get above 15% at electoral events. On boards you'd think they were about to sieze power in a coup!
    Athiests - 84% of Irish people identify as Catholic. This is a FACT, bourne out in the last census. On Boards, you'd think 84% of people were atheist.
    LGBT - Homosexuality, tattoos, piercings etc. seem to be commonplace on Boards. In real life, these things are still well-and-truly in the "weirdo" category. (Maybe not so much the tattoos nowadays, they're seen as more "waster" than "weird" [not MY view, just my observation])
    Computer Nerds - Nerds in general, are a rarity in society. They are obviously going to congregate more on the internet than they would in real life, so maybe that is the truest bit of representation on Boards. Still though, they are on the margain of the margains of society offline.

I'll add another stat to that. Views on abortion. On Boards (and in the Irish media in general), you'd think people were about to bring down the government with the overwhelming demand to legalise abortion up to full term. The reality is, when the govt. were enacting the recent legislation, 5,000 pre-choicers turned out to protest that it didn't go far enough. 80,000 pro-lifers turned out to protest that it went too far. The govt didn't hold a referendum because they knew the bill to legalise abortion would be spectacularly annihilated.

Typical Boardsie v a normal person. Skip to 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY54fnWQ-48

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    What have the yanks got to do with this forum?

Quite. That video is for yank consumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

newmug wrote: »

But the questions are, who is doing this, where are they getting the money, and why are they doing it? I consider myself an average Irish fella, but every time I log on here, I am offended left-right-and centre by the plastic-paddy sh1te that's tolerated on here, but dare you express an "unpopular" opinion (unpopular by boards's standards) and you'll be red-carded into oblivion.

wha?

I'm not picking and choosing, Christian values are a set of rules to live by usually set in the 10 commandments. You are taking the violence of the old testament out of context and you know it.

Google what traditional Christian values are and you will see.

Let's not get into the Gay Marriage debate, we all know what it says in the Bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

newmug wrote: »
    100% with you OP. And no, Boards doesn't represent typical Irish youth. However, unfortunately, some gullible people often change their views to suit the masses. So, if someone wants to push an agenda, they try to influence different media (such as RTE, newspapers, Boards etc.) to give the impression that their views are dominant, and they sway the gullible people to their way of thinking.

Boards is Ivana Bacik's wet dream. But not everybody subscribes to that kind of poisonous tripe. The text below is a post I wrote in another thread, I think it sums up Boards well:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91808077

Shinners - rarely get above 15% at electoral events. On boards you'd think they were about to sieze power in a coup!
    Athiests - 84% of Irish people identify as Catholic. This is a FACT, bourne out in the last census. On Boards, you'd think 84% of people were atheist.
    LGBT - Homosexuality, tattoos, piercings etc. seem to be commonplace on Boards. In real life, these things are still well-and-truly in the "weirdo" category. (Maybe not so much the tattoos nowadays, they're seen as more "waster" than "weird" [not MY view, just my observation])
    Computer Nerds - Nerds in general, are a rarity in society. They are obviously going to congregate more on the internet than they would in real life, so maybe that is the truest bit of representation on Boards. Still though, they are on the margain of the margains of society offline.

I'll add another stat to that. Views on abortion. On Boards (and in the Irish media in general), you'd think people were about to bring down the government with the overwhelming demand to legalise abortion up to full term. The reality is, when the govt. were enacting the recent legislation, 5,000 pre-choicers turned out to protest that it didn't go far enough. 80,000 pro-lifers turned out to protest that it went too far. The govt didn't hold a referendum because they knew the bill to legalise abortion would be spectacularly annihilated.

Typical Boardsie v a normal person. Skip to 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY54fnWQ-48

How to find the far right poster on boards: "Im right and everyone else is a sheeple"

newmug wrote:

tl;dr: everyone who is different than me is a "wierdo" or a "waster" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Also traditional Christian values = family unit, have kids, against abortion, sexual abstinence outside marriage

What's absurd in my, and many liberal opinions, is trying to take little snippets out of a book and hanging one's hat on them while using other little snippets to say 'this thing bad'.

Many values form from reason and enlightenment. The family unit for example, the problem with allowing reason to dictate the family unit from a right wing point of view is we realise that as long as a child is loved, exposed to a diverse range of views and supported there's not problem if they're raised by a man and a woman or two men or two women or three men, two women and a kazoo.

That's why so many people are Liberal, in many cases it's the logical, default position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Let's not get into the Gay Marriage debate, we all know what it says in the Bible.

I thought they cut out the bit where Jesus was growing up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I'm not picking and choosing, Christian values are a set of rules to live by usually set in the 10 commandments. You are taking the violence of the old testament out of context and you know it.

Hey there pot... Im kettle..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

do you?

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17)

Jesus explicitly says not to ignore the Old Testament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Trust me, plenty of right wingers exist on here. Plenty of them exist in Irish society; Boards isn't that big to give a general idea of Ireland as a whole. But I would argue that more extreme views that are right sided, would be harder to express within the rules (or lack of effort put forward to stay within the rules).
    That and the more liberal sided comments are generally seen as "good". So more people would make them instead of comments that might cause arguments

See, this is what I don't get about boards.

Praising Hitler = Instant ban (and rightly so).
    Praising Stalin or Che Guevera=Totally acceptable.

So right wing extremism is condemned, but left wing extremism is tolerated, and even celebrated to a certain extent. Maybe the policy should be a little more balanced?

Nodin wrote: »
    That's anti-racism, so I'm not seeing what that has to do with "white guilt".

Why bother?

No that video implies that only white people can be racist and we are "privileged" because of our skin colour. When you think about it, why wouldn't Ethnic Irish people be held in higher regard than foreigners in Ireland? The same way that Japanese Government/society favours Japanese people in their country and rightly so. Modern Western thinking would lead you to be that it is wrong to favour your own kind in your own country and that it is "racist" to do so.

You think whites in Africa are considered to be equal members of society? The latest land grabs from white farmers in South Africa and Zimbabwe would lead me to think otherwise. There is no denying that Universities in Europe and North America are spreading a message to our youth that white people are bigots & oppressors by nature.

That it's ok to sleep with your father? That it's ok to commit least 2 genocides?

That slavery is ok? That a woman on her period should sleep outside?

I'm not sure what parts of God's word I'm meant to ignore and what part I should use to discriminate against people I don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Forums attract nutters. The more of a nutter you are, the more posts you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

I'd love for you to put the violence of the old testament "in context" for me. Care to?

• Advertisement

Praising Hitler = Instant ban (and rightly so).
    Praising Stalin or Che Guevera=Totally acceptable.

Sher I was only thinking to myself today that you can hardly find a thread in this place where praise isn't heaped at the foot of Joseph Stalin :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement