Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards representative of society in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-08-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Well is it? Personally I wonder is it at all. The large number of dole threads and threads aimed at poorer section of society can't be Representative of the population. I don't hear conversations like this in real life from people from any section of society. Then again I may be wrong and people might keep their thoughts to themselves on the issue. So I'm wondering are the threads on Boards representative of the feelings of society on all issues or do we make up a small part of society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No, I would think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well is it? Personally I wonder is it at all. The large number of dole threads and threads aimed at poorer section of society can't be Representative of the population. I don't hear conversations like this in real life from people from any section of society. Then again I may be wrong and people might keep their thoughts to themselves on the issue. So I'm wondering are the threads on Boards representative of the feelings of society on all issues or do we make up a small part of society?

The right wing types are more vociferous definitely, I can just imagine aspiring Leo Varadkars posting from their bedrooms fantasising about the day Public Service pay and welfare gets slashed. They thought the IMF would sort it all out and are extra disillusioned and full of unsatiated power complexes.

Overall I'd say it is more liberal than general society but probably more in tune with what under 40's think.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No is the answer.

A look at poll results on Boards and that among the general populace shows that Boards is not representative of Ireland as a whole by any means. Boards tends to be dominated by younger people (under 40) and skewed towards young males in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's representative of people in Ireland who have too much free time and nothing better to do with it, excluding those for whom posting on an internet forum is still alien.

5000+ posts, woot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I fcuking hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

Hardly. Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I frickin hope not!

anncoates, beat me to it.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

It over represents the following groups:

Shinners
    Atheists
    LBGT Supporters
    Computer Nerds

Every poll is skewed massively against the normal population

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Mostly under 30 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Shinners
    Atheists
    LBGT Supporters
    Computer Nerds

Well what would a poll from the normal population look like on these issues?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Thread needs a poll
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thread needs a poll

Would it be representative?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thread needs a poll

Good idea! Mods would it be OK to add one? xoxox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

kneemos wrote: »
    Would it be representative?

Only if AH'ers are allowed vote, we know there's a good cross section of society there .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I would safely say it is far from representative of society as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

People say things online that they would never say in real life. Except maybe after 8 pints on a Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Some posters write off sections of society as sub human scum.They frequently fantasise about punishing them in varied draconian ways. I hope they don't represent anything but their own warped brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Some posters write off sections of society as sub human scum.They frequently fantasise about punishing them in varied draconian ways. I hope they don't represent anything but their own warped brains.
    I suggest just avoiding the Soccer forum altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Jesus Christ no. Like twitter, thejournal and other 'social media' outlets it draws every sort of loon, leftie and ne'er do well. Mouth-breathers spouting their ill-conceived views on hugely complex issues in an attempt to bring some sense of purpose to their bland and bleak existence.

The Sunday Independent is way more representative of Irish society when it comes to social, political and economic issues than boards could ever hope to be. The spotty student neckbeard viewpoint doesn't really contribute much to the rich tapestry of Irish life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Jesus Christ no. Like twitter, thejournal and other 'social media' outlets it draws every sort of loon, leftie and ne'er do well. Mouth-breathers spouting their ill-conceived views on hugely complex issues in an attempt to bring some sense of purpose to their bland and bleak existence.

The Sunday Independent is way more representative of Irish society when it comes to social, political and economic issues than boards could ever hope to be. The spotty student neckbeard viewpoint doesn't really contribute much to the rich tapestry of Irish life.

I'm hoping that you are not representative of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Common mistake of confusing After Hours with the rest of Boards.ie going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Shinners
    Atheists
    LBGT Supporters
    Computer Nerds

Poor Normies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Boards is made up of 63% highly intellectual people and the other 51% who never went to school - I like to think I'm one of the 63%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Is this view representative of the whole walrus population?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Well what would a poll from the normal population look like on these issues?

Shinners - rarely get above 15% at electoral events. On boards you'd think they were about to sieze power in a coup!
    Athiests - 84% of Irish people identify as Catholic. This is a FACT, bourne out in the last census. On Boards, you'd think 84% of people were atheist.
    LGBT - Homosexuality, tattoos, piercings etc. seem to be commonplace on Boards. In real life, these things are still well-and-truly in the "weirdo" category. (Maybe not so much the tattoos nowadays, they're seen as more "waster" than "weird" [not MY view, just my observation])
    Computer Nerds - Nerds in general, are a rarity in society. They are obviously going to congregate more on the internet than they would in real life, so maybe that is the truest bit of representation on Boards. Still though, they are on the margain of the margains of society offline.

I'll add another stat to that. Views on abortion. On Boards (and in the Irish media in general), you'd think people were about to bring down the government with the overwhelming demand to legalise abortion up to full term. The reality is, when the govt. were enacting the recent legislation, 5,000 pre-choicers turned out to protest that it didn't go far enough. 80,000 pro-lifers turned out to protest that it went too far. The govt didn't hold a referendum because they knew the bill to legalise abortion would be spectacularly annihilated.

Typical Boardsie v a normal person. Skip to 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY54fnWQ-48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

No. I mean first off, there's only like two women around here. And they're most likely men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Knowing it is so unrepresentative of society, I often wonder why people get so het up with arguments on threads at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Well there's Boards and then there's After Hours. When I joined Boards it was to get answers relating to stuff going on in real life. For me After Hours is just for entertainment and I think of most people on it as drunk people you might get chatting to on a Friday night. So no I don't think it is representative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Archeron

I only ever wear my monocle when posting here, I never wear it real life.

Advertisement