Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is this forum so liberal/far left wing?

Options
  • 08-03-2015 9:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭

From reading this forum I can see common themes re-occurring:

-Pro-Multiculturalism
    -Anti traditional Christian values
    -Against pride in their heritage/culture/traditions (white guilt)
    -Believe Gender is a social construct
    -Pro Gay-marriage

Btw, I am not stating whether I am for or against any of the above, I am just stating the general consensus this forum follows and wondering why.

Also do you think this forum typically represents the mindset of modern Irish youth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

random1337 wrote: »

What threads did you pull that one from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

*grabs popcorn*

Wide Load wrote: »
    *grabs popcorn*

Why is this forum so pro-popcorn too? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You forgot the drugs

They love their drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Such as slavery, incest, murder and rape. Yeah I'm anti those values. I'm also pro shellfish and mixed fabrics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

-Pro-Multiculturalism Nope, should be capped and monitored.
    -Anti traditional Christian values Don't Care what they do
    -Against pride in their heritage/culture/traditions (white guilt) Nope, I'm also quite Nationalist
    -Believe Gender is a social construct Nope, blue for boys pink for girls
    -Pro Gay-marriage Don't care, I'm anti adoption though

But that's just me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What threads did you pull that one from?

One thread I read was removing the angeles.
    Another one was removing the irish language from the education system because of the rise in international students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Why is this forum so pro-popcorn too? :confused:

Damn liberals, popcorn is anti Christian, foreign, gay and whatever else the OP said so they love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Liberal?

They would be criminals hanging in College Green if posters here were in charge :p

Such as slavery, incest, murder and rape. Yeah I'm anti those values. I'm also pro shellfish and mixed fabrics.

Maybe turn off the TV and pick up a history book and you might find that slavery existed outside of the American Slave Trade. ALL empires and civilizations engaged in Slavery at MASS scales.

Murder & Rape are exclusive to European Nations?? Again nearly every country in existence today would have wiped out tribes in that area before them. Red Indians and Aussie Aboriginals weren't the only groups to lose their land. All races/empires engaged in Colonization...

Incest??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

It's because the brothers that own this place are liberals, so they appoint liberal admins and moderators. They own The Journal, too.

They're not "far-left wing", though, far-left is communism/anarchism. This place would be full of praise for Cuba and the Soviet Union if they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

-Pro-Multiculturalism
    -Pro Gay-marriage

Btw, I am not stating whether I am for or against any of the above, I am just stating the general consensus this forum follows and wondering why.

Also do you think this forum typically represents the mindset of modern Irish youth?

The only subject I can think of where the AH consensus falls heavily to the right is on the issue of travellers.

Damn liberals, popcorn is anti Christian, foreign, gay and whatever else the OP said so they love it.

And the butter represents atheism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

I don't think there's a lot of OAP's on this forum so yeah this form represents the mindset of the people who use boards, I'd say 85%+ are under 55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Maybe turn off the TV and pick up a history book and you might find that slavery existed outside of the American Slave Trade. ALL empires and civilizations enslaved others.

Murder & Rape are exclusive to European Nations?? Again nearly every country in existence today would have wiped out tribes in that area before them. Red Indians and Aussie Aboriginals weren't the only groups to lose their land. All races/empires engaged in Colonization..

Incest??

That one flew right over your head. He was referring to the Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Boards is no way representative of irish society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Wide Load wrote: »
    *grabs popcorn*

*grabs Wide Load popcorn*

Maybe people think those things because theres nothing wrong with it?

Dont think Ive seen white guilt here. Pride/tradition for no reason other than itself is hardly something to promote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

-Pro-Multiculturalism
    -Pro Gay-marriage

Maybe turn off the TV and pick up a history book and you might find that slavery existed outside of the American Slave Trade. ALL empires and civilizations engaged in Slavery at MASS scales.

Murder & Rape are exclusive to European Nations?? Again nearly every country in existence today would have wiped out tribes in that area before them. Red Indians and Aussie Aboriginals weren't the only groups to lose their land. All races/empires engaged in Colonization...

Incest??
    The poster must have read that bible yoke....
    Never a good idea.

user53 wrote: »
    I don't think there's a lot of OAP's on this forum so yeah this form represents the mindset of the people who use boards, I'd say 85%+ are under 55.

Yes but I mean do boardsie posters represent the views of the general Irish youth?
    I'm asking do right wingers either not post on this board or just don't exist today in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Dont think Ive seen white guilt here.
    There is the "We can't talk" crowd all right when atrocities in non western countries are talked about (of course we can talk).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Someone rang?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I you associate all that with what culture now?

Edit: oh the bible. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

White guilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Trust me, plenty of right wingers exist on here. Plenty of them exist in Irish society; Boards isn't that big to give a general idea of Ireland as a whole. But I would argue that more extreme views that are right sided, would be harder to express within the rules (or lack of effort put forward to stay within the rules).
    That and the more liberal sided comments are generally seen as "good". So more people would make them instead of comments that might cause arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

*grabs Wide Load popcorn*

Who are you calling fat? :)

Baby Jane wrote: »
    There is the "We can't talk" crowd all right when atrocities in non western countries are talked about (of course we can talk).

True but I wouldnt really consider it white guilt or against being proud of their culture or whatever. Tends to be more of sort our own **** out before commenting on others which I would really only apply to politicians who avoid matters here but will cry for action elsewhere.

That one flew right over your head. He was referring to the Bible.

Not necessarily, it could be interpreted in other ways too.

A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook last year after watching 12 years a Slave that he was "ashamed to be white". He's Irish and his ancestors obviously weren't involved in the slave trade of the Americas. That means these Hollywood blockbuster films are instilling a collective white guilt complex into White people around the world, when every race has engaged in slavery and had equally barbaric pasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

-Pro-Multiculturalism
    -Pro Gay-marriage

The whole pro and anti white guilt thing is all ludicrous. Irelands history is not the history of the US or Britain.

We adopt far too many american ideologies, left and right. Somebody killed by a cop in thr U.S.? Try not giving a sh1t, like you do with cop killings in Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Not necessarily, it could be interpreted in other ways too.

A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook last year after watching 12 years a Slave that he was "ashamed to be white". He's Irish and his ancestors obviously weren't involved in the slave trade of the Americas. That means these Hollywood blockbuster films are instilling a collective white guilt complex into White people around the world, when every race has engaged in slavery and had equally barbaric pasts.

It really couldn't with the mixed fabrics and shellfish comment.

As for the past, one has to be aware of history. I'm not ashamed of my British heritage it wasn't me, doesn't mean I can't feel ashamed at some aspects of my history.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement