Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

jimgoose wrote: »
    In all fairness it's hard to say what religion exactly it actively promotes, the accompanying film these days comprising all kinds of Multicultural types gazing out office windows, working in shops, arsing around in the park, and so forth. I suppose the bells are a bit religiousy right enough, but what harm. We likes De Bells A' Shandon down here, biy. :D

Be no problem to remove the church bells from it and stop calling it the Angelus then, would it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Im always bemused when something as important as the salvation of ones immortal soul from the fires of hell where it will suffer agony and torment for eternity can in the next instant just be re labelled as 'tradition'. Gotta love the Irish Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

RobertKK wrote: »
    18 bongs.
    Three sets of three
    Then one set of six.

18 bongs is correct.

The other bit..... eh..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

18 bongs.
    Three sets of three
    Then one set of six.

Three sets of three would be 9, right?
    Plus one set of six would give a total of 15, not 18.

Not intending to nit-pick, but it seems that if you've being doing it since you were a kid you'd have spent at least one time listening to it intently enough to remember the pattern?

Oh and yes, there are 18 bells in total in the RTE version.
    As a family when we were children, we as a family would say the Angelus out aloud so we all learned it, it's only a minute, and a family that prays together stays together, or so the saying goes...

Of course there's truth to this . . . because a family that does anything together stays together for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

18 bongs.
    Three sets of three
    Then one set of six.

As a family when we were children, we as a family would say the Angelus out aloud so we all learned it, it's only a minute, and a family that prays together stays together, or so the saying goes...

3 + 3 + 3 + 6 = ...............18......must be the new maths.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Be no problem to remove the church bells from it and stop calling it the Angelus then, would it?

I for one would welcome a minute's reflect accompanied by a calm piece of classical music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

18 bongs.
    Three sets of three
    Then one set of six.

3x3=9
    +6
    =15

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Im always bemused when something as important as the salvation of ones immortal soul from the fires of hell where it will suffer agony and torment for eternity can in the next instant just be re labelled as 'tradition'. Gotta love the Irish Catholic.

I'm always bemused by the way people throw the word 'tradition' around like it's actually means something. It's traditional to stick a goat in a cage hoisted by a crane at the Puck fair, that doesn't mean it's ok to do it (and thankfully public opinion on that is changing). Tradition just means 'has been done for a long time', it's no reason not to stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Zen65 wrote: »
    I for one would welcome a minute's reflect accompanied by a calm piece of classical music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

I'm just amazed that so many people are home in time to see the angelus!

• Advertisement

I'm just amazed that so many people are home in time to see the angelus!

Some people work close to where they live.

Perhaps some people set their UPC up to record it? Every day! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Why not just have a mash up of all the other Religions calls to prey time, Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

jayo26 wrote: »
    ...and in some cases I you don't they...

what the actual fcuk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

No one gets to hear it anyway apart from dole scroungers and lazy bitches who should be working. It's there only to encourage these people to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The simple fact is that a lot of people who listen to/watch RTE day in day out (the elderly) actually like the Angelus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The simple fact is that a lot of people who listen to/watch RTE day in day out (the elderly) actually like the Angelus.

It's also a fact that it doesn't do any harm to anyone, while it may, and probably does bring a lot of good to many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

And they don't even have to pay for a TV licence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

BMJD wrote: »
    And they don't even have to pay for a TV licence
    AMIRITE?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I think they should do a dance version for the younger crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

What type of person decides it's a great idea to start a new thread, in After Hours, about The Angelus, especially when it's been done so often before.

What type of person decides it's a great idea to start a new thread, in After Hours, about The Angelus, especially when it's been done so often before.

the rate it's going the amount of threads will match the number of bongs soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

jamesbere wrote: »
    I think they should do a dance version for the younger crowd.

Needs an update all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What type of person decides it's a great idea to start back seat modding?

kowloon wrote: »

Funky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

If I cared so much about the sound of a bell ringing for 60 seconds before the news on a channel I rarely watch, I'd take a long, hard look at my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

What type of person decides it's a great idea to start back seat modding?

Not modding, just genuinely curious, what motivates you to start a thread like this?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

and a family that prays together stays together, or so the saying goes...

..........even when one spouse is abusive as divorce is a 'sin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

jamesbere wrote: »
    Funky

Those of us who went to college in maynooth got used to seeing Theology students we knew in them. A prayer at bedtime used to have even more students in it.

(I just went looking for a youtube video of it and can't find one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Valetta wrote: »
    18 bongs is correct.

The other bit..... eh..... :)
    Zen65 wrote: »
    Three sets of three would be 9, right?
    Plus one set of six would give a total of 15, not 18.

Not intending to nit-pick, but it seems that if you've being doing it since you were a kid you'd have spent at least one time listening to it intently enough to remember the pattern?

Oh and yes, there are 18 bells in total in the RTE version.

Of course there's truth to this . . . because a family that does anything together stays together for longer.
    vienne86 wrote: »
    3 + 3 + 3 + 6 = ...............18......must be the new maths.

Yes meant to say nine, I can count, 2+2=22 :pac: :p

Advertisement