Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I like it. Kinda for nostalgic reasons but I'm so used to it now that when it comes on, it switches me into chillout mode.

I think it's meant to be a moment of collective reflection at the end of the working day which is a nice thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The idea it is forced on people is ridiculous. The Late Late Show is on religiously every Friday. I can't stand it and I find it offensively bad. I think it should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its a slightly backward thing to still have on the TV and radio imho.

But then again if we get rid, how will those folk know its time to stare into the distance aimlessly?

Quick quiz question, without listening to it, how many 'bongs' do you think there are?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Aural poison. I have to mute the TV when it comes on.

^^^^^ Diddums....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I don't mind it, just as I work in a state-run institution that still has a religious picture in 1 of the corridors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

murpho999 wrote: »
    Are these the best you can come up with?

Change the channel or watch something else for one minute.

Ignore the fact that a state broadcaster promoting a religion and that is not something it should be doing.
    It's not something that is done in other European countries and is not right in my opinion.

In all fairness it's hard to say what religion exactly it actively promotes, the accompanying film these days comprising all kinds of Multicultural types gazing out office windows, working in shops, arsing around in the park, and so forth. I suppose the bells are a bit religiousy right enough, but what harm. We likes De Bells A' Shandon down here, biy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jimgoose wrote: »
    In all fairness it's hard to say what religion exactly it actively promotes, the accompanying film these days comprising all kinds of Multicultural types gazing out office windows, working in shops, arsing around in the park, and so forth. I suppose the bells are a bit religiousy right enough, but what harm. We likes De Bells A' Shandon down here, biy. :D

It's broadcast with the soundtrack of a church bell, what else can it be?

You have to remember we live in a country where a 10ft high metal structure is allowed at the side of the road with a picture of Jesus, with the words "Jesus, I trust in you".

I pass it daily.

For me its a danger at the side of the road, someone could put their car through it easily enough.

Was any authority asked for permission before this was cemented into the ground? I doubt it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This is my kind of Angelus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Was reading an article on the upcoming marriage equality referendum in the Guardian newspaper.....

Is that in today's Guardian OP ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's broadcast with the soundtrack of a church bell, what else can it be?

Bell of a synagogue

Buddhist temple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I can put up with it, it doesn't annoy me too much, don't see the need for it but it will gone in a few years anyway.

I wonder to the Guardian use the addendum 'remember this is a country where you can't buy a Panadol or a banana on a Sunday afternoon' when writing about Germany/France/Norway/Switzerland etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hallo dare wrote: »
    Plus, we wouldn't be able to call the news 6 1 if we got rid of it.

Sure we would, just put on a few extra ads for that minute, extra revenue for RTE to pay those fat salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Bong...bong...bong...

The 6 o'clock daily call to weed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I wonder to the Guardian use the addendum 'remember this is a country where you can't buy a Panadol or a banana on a Sunday afternoon' when writing about Germany/France/Norway/Switzerland etc?

Depends......... Does a Panadol or a banana relate to same sex marriage like religion does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I can put up with it, it doesn't annoy me too much, don't see the need for it but it will gone in a few years anyway.

A patronising comment from the Guardian alright, but that comes from a country that has banned face-sitting and spanking.

NIMAN wrote: »

Quick quiz question, without listening to it, how many 'bongs' do you think there are?

30 bongs, about a bong every 2 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I'm an atheist yet always wanted to feature in The Angelus. I've spent years practising my "Staring off into the middle distance in quiet contemplation" look and everything. Don't any of you feckers deny me my dream!

Not 30 bongs, way too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Was reading an article on the upcoming marriage equality referendum in the Guardian newspaper - biased on that issue of course - but came across this line:

I actually don't mind it. It's a bit quirky almost like a tradition at this stage and I don't see the harm in it. Also it gives the chance to flick over to the BBC for the headlines there before switching back. :)

Keep it I say.

The Guardian would be my preferred daily paper, but it's a bit rich for a British newspaper to have a go at RTE's religious programming. The BBC and its local station in Ireland have a 'thought for the day' slot every day. Songs of Praise anyone? And don't geet me started on their Christian overload each Sunday on Radio 3 & 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

You have to remember we live in a country where a 10ft high metal structure is allowed at the side of the road with a picture of Jesus, with the words "Jesus, I trust in you".

I pass it daily.

For me its a danger at the side of the road, someone could put their car through it easily enough.

Was any authority asked for permission before this was cemented into the ground? I doubt it very much.

Sounds like your gripe there is with the planning laws. Don't blame Jesus, blame the county council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

mikom wrote: »
    Depends......... Does a Panadol or a banana relate to same sex marriage like religion does?

About the same as using a one minute segment on one station most people ignore relates to secularist willy waving I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This hasn't received enough appreciation!
    cml387 wrote: »
    Who said it was a Christian thing? It's not anymore. It's just a minute for private reflection.
    If more people took a moments's reflection before posting in AH we'd all be better off.

There,I've said it.

Well the church bells are a fairly strong indication, isn't there usually an image of a church or a crucifix in there I haven't seen it in a while. I have no problem with a moment of refelction (although there's a slight irony in doing it with the TV on) but AFAIK it's called the angelus, as in 'Angelus' appears in writing on the screen (I think) which has definite Christian connotations. Keep the minute of reflection, change the name and ditch the bells (I think Spanish Flea would be an adequate replacement) and make it a little more secular. That's a suggestion, not a demand.

Do they not 'bong' once for every hour? So it's either 6 or 18 bongs, depending on whether the church uses the 24 hour clock … unless my original assumption is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I have a magic remote control that enables me to switch channels when something I don't want to watch comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

belacqua_ wrote: »
    The Guardian would be my preferred daily paper, but it's a bit rich for a British newspaper to have a go at RTE's religious programming. The BBC and its local station in Ireland have a 'thought for the day' slot every day. Songs of Praise anyone? And don't geet me started on their Christian overload each Sunday on Radio 3 & 4.

Yeh but isn't there head of state also head of a religion? Makes sense their state broadcaster would be slightly bias. Ireland doesn't really have that excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

18 bongs.
    Three sets of three
    Then one set of six.

As a family when we were children, we as a family would say the Angelus out aloud so we all learned it, it's only a minute, and a family that prays together stays together, or so the saying goes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

While I agree that it's long since time the daily Roman Catholic call to prayer was discontinued by the national broadcaster, I also think the Brits would want to be careful when they point to us and snigger over the perceived influence that religion might have on this country.

After all, in the home of The Guardian, the holder of the highest office in the land is the Supreme Governer of the Church of England, and a good number of Anglican bishops have an automatic right to an unelected seat in the House of Lords where they can influence the course of legislation at the highest level.

We may be too deeply rooted in our religious past for my (and many other's) liking, but at least we are gradually distancing ourselves from it and can do so without altering our constitution. This is officially impossible in the realm of her Majesty, Queen of the United Kingdom and defender of the faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

The church is separate from the state and that makes a state secular.

Is it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i say they should keep it, BUT

add equal amounts of 1 minute segments before other programs, 60 seconds that are anti-religion, maybe like one of those 60 seconds of science things, or a 60 second clip of the Hadron Collider something.

after all don't RTÉ believe in equality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

belacqua_ wrote: »

Songs of praise sucks. I'm actually ok with the mass on Sunday being broadcast. I watched it once as a kid because I thought that if it was on telly it might be better or more showy. I was wrong :)

I know loads of old people who can't attend church and watch the service. then a minister of the Eucharist will pop into them later and give them communion. It's a service that probably has a small but very regular viewer ship. Plus it's on a Sunday morning which is effectively dead time for TV. If they didn't have mass they'd probably show a Murder She Wrote rerun.

I do think the Angulus needs to go though. It's not actually a programme like the mass. It's just 60 seconds of bell ringing. A ringtone can do that job now.

maybe leave the minute and use it to show various scenes from around the country with some nice music. Or maybe even with no music. I'd imagine there's a lot people could do with 1 minute of prime time space on TV.

Advertisement