Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options
  • 05-03-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭

Was reading an article on the upcoming marriage equality referendum in the Guardian newspaper - biased on that issue of course - but came across this line:
    This is, after all, a country where the national broadcaster, RTE, still broadcasts the Angelus twice a day.

I actually don't mind it. It's a bit quirky almost like a tradition at this stage and I don't see the harm in it. Also it gives the chance to flick over to the BBC for the headlines there before switching back. :)

Keep it I say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No, it has had its day and has no place in the national broadcaster of what is supposed to be a secular state.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, it has had its day and has no place in the national broadcaster of what is supposed to be a secular state.

Is it supposed to be a secular state?

If they remove it, How will the full the extra minute before the six one news ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

I don't mind it, sure it's doing no harm for all of 60 seconds.

Plus, we wouldn't be able to call the news 6 1 if we got rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it supposed to be a secular state?

If they remove it, How will the full the extra minute before the six one news ?
    How about a kitten playing with a ball of wool. Or a potter's wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Aural poison. I have to mute the TV when it comes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's quaint and quirky, and does no harm. Leave it, I say. We don't really need another minute of Dobbo and the Series T-X. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

When did this become official policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The only good that the Angelus ever did is serve as my 'dinner's ready' alarm when I was a child. But since that was broadcast from a church I see no reason why the Angelus should be played by our national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

You shouldnt have to give up all your traditions because you are a secular state.

I'm all for keeping it for nostalgias sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Play the angelus but defuse it with pics of kittens and dolphins?

It used to annoy me but its now got to the stage of being like religious buildings around the place, interesting pieces of architecture that the cities would be poorer without.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I find a lot of the ads on de telly more annoying than the Angelus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm not in anyway religious but I think it would be a disgrace to get rid of it. My mother acknowledges it every evening as did my grand mother and she use to say her rosary before bed every night as they do :) but who has any right to say we should take away a very tradition of our state going back decades even if we don't acknowledged it I'm sure there is alot of folk like my mother and other members of our family that use the moment for whatever they do. I know our country is multi cultural these days and I have nothing against that I have plenty of friends from different religions but if we went over to certain countries that have strong beliefs and traditions we would be expected to respect them and in some cases I you don't they are serious consequences. I'm not saying we should be like that but we should respect traditions of our country that our former generations fought hard to build.

Soups123 wrote: »
    You shouldnt have to give up all your traditions because you are a secular state.

I'm all for keeping it for nostalgias sake

It's not my tradition and should not be forced on you by a broadcaster. If you want to observe a religious event at 12:00 and 18:00 then that's your own business.
    People complain about smoking and drinking restrictions are Nanny state but this is worse in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't watch RTE all that often, so I don't really care what they play for fillers.
    German TV used to have several-minute-long clips of kittens, and walrusses, to play whenever they needed to fill a gap. Whatever suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Keep it I say.

Who is getting rid of it? Or are you just reacting to the Guardian article?

It's not my tradition and should not be forced on you by a broadcaster.

It's not forced on you. You can watch something else. Nanny statism would be taking it away, not keeping it imo.

Valetta wrote: »
    When did this become official policy?

The church is separate from the state and that makes a state secular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

It's not forced on you. You can watch something else. Nanny statism would be taking it away, not keeping it imo.

Okay then, how about adding the Adhan? Since you can just change it when it comes on, it shouldn't bother you, right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dont watch live TV anymore so didn't realise it was still on..
    No logical reason it should be there anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's not my tradition and should not be forced on you by a broadcaster. If you want to observe a religious event at 12:00 and 18:00 then that's your own business.
    People complain about smoking and drinking restrictions are Nanny state but this is worse in my opinion.

But its not forced like every other station you choose what you watch or take notice off. Its a programme choice like everything esle.

If they forced you to watch it so that you could see the news then it would be forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm not in anyway religious but I think it would be a disgrace to get rid of it. My mother acknowledges it every evening as did my grand mother and she use to say her rosary before bed every night as they do :) but who has any right to say we should take away a very tradition of our state going back decades even if we don't acknowledged it I'm sure there is alot of folk like my mother and other members of our family that use the moment for whatever they do. I know our country is multi cultural these days and I have nothing against that I have plenty of friends from different religions but if we went over to certain countries that have strong beliefs and traditions we would be expected to respect them and in some cases I you don't they are serious consequences. I'm not saying we should be like that but we should respect traditions of our country that our former generations fought hard to build.

Your mum and gran would hardly have been unable to pray if the Angelus wasn't broadcast though.

The thing about the Angelus in a multicultural state is this: Everyone has to pay their TV licence, regardless of religious affiliation. The TV licence funds RTE. RTE is using the money of non-Christians to broadcast a Christian call to prayer. This is unfair; the Muslim community would have just as much right to demand that their calls to prayer also be broadcast as they fund RTE too. Therefore unless we want the state broadcaster to broadcast the call to prayer of every religion present in the country in the name of equality the only fair thing to do is to remove it.

They could broadcast 60 seconds of silence or relaxing music as a Time of Reflection instead.

Cuban Pete wrote: »
    Okay then, how about adding the Adhan? Since you can just change it when it comes on, it shouldn't bother you, right? :)

Why would it bother me? If there is an audience for it by all means. Doesn't take much effort to change the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jayo26 wrote: »
    but who has any right to say we should take away a very tradition of our state going back decades even if we don't acknowledged it I'm sure there is alot of folk like my mother and other members of our family that use the moment for whatever they do. I know our country is multi cultural these days and I have nothing against that I have plenty of friends from different religions but if we went over to certain countries that have strong beliefs and traditions we would be expected to respect them and in some cases I you don't they are serious consequences. I'm not saying we should be like that but we should respect traditions of our country that our former generations fought hard to build.

I'm looking forward to the introduction of the 1 minute of Hare coursing footage with accompanying fiddle music to begin the 9 o'clock news.........

Why would it bother me? If there is an audience for it by all means. Doesn't take much effort to change the channel.

Are these the best you can come up with?

Change the channel or watch something else for one minute.

Ignore the fact that a state broadcaster promoting a religion and that is not something it should be doing.
    It's not something that is done in other European countries and is not right in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

*Atheist rabble force* ACTIVATE!!!!!!!!

Keep it id say, nothing wrong with a bit of tradition, and I get to catch the headlines on Newstalk before I switch over to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I pity the desperately poor people who can only afford one TV station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I automatically change the channel on the radio when it comes on. I wonder do RTE Radio 1 ratings drop after 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Who said it was a Christian thing? It's not anymore. It's just a minute for private reflection.
    If more people took a moments's reflection before posting in AH we'd all be better off.

There,I've said it.

Advertisement