Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options
  • 24-03-2013 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Just saw someone mention the Angelus in the embarrassing TV moments thread. I was thinking about this yesterday as I heard it come on before the news and was wondering why do RTE have it on at all?

Surely a state broadcaster should not be promoting one religion over another, rather they should be unbiased and not have any religious prayer schedule. If they are going to have the Angelus why not the Muslim call to prayer or any other prayer schedule for that matter?

I think it's fine if they have religious affairs programming as long as they remain informative and are not preaching.

Whether one is religious or not surely the state broadcaster should not be aligning itself with any one particular faith especially since we currently don't have any ambassador in the Vatican State. I know people will think it's just tradition, but it's so dated now...a part of bygone times and I see no need for it to be forced on TV viewers or Radio listeners.

"What harm is it?", people might say. Well none in particular as in fact I find some source of comedy in all those people pausing and looking to the sky, which by the way nobody ever does. However it does represent an Ireland of the past and if we want to present ourselves as a modern, multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multi-faith society then this should be removed from our broadcasting schedule.

What think ye AH?

Should the Angelus be broadcasted by RTE? 212 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    29% 62 votes
    I don't see any issue either way
    70% 150 votes

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bong.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

being a non catholic i use it as a dinner gong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

This can only end well.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Anyone notice that when its on there's only one Irish person on it now
    Always a farmer looking out to his land leaning on his gate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Ah the Angelus. Nothin' makes an aul rural spinster catholic island dweller any hornier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The state is preferential to Catholicism. It pops up in several places including the Constitution.

For all intents and purposes this is a secular country but we have remnants of our Catholic-tied past.

A lot of people don't see the issue with these symbolic shows of Catholic solidarity and only time will change that. We're becoming more multi-cultural and these things will eventually dissolve into memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

usually ends with brian dobson saying good evening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I preferred the old Angelus. Just a religious icon picture and a few bongs. None of this modern crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I completely agree. RTE in particular is far too biased towards Catholicism with the angelus and their coverage of religious affairs. You don't get this kind of crap on any of the English channels, or least not to a degree.

I dream of a day when religion completely disappears from our screens, our schools and our newspapers. Religion should only be a domestic matter and kept to peoples homes, not shoved down our throats each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Is there anything to be said for another angelus?

Maybe a dance beat & some hotpants clad dancers to entice the yoof back to the church

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Twink wrote the Angelus and gets €948 every time it's played on RTE.

Thats even more annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I don't see any harm in it really. As a religious thing, maybe they could add a few Muslim, Hindu, Protestant, jewish and atheist ;) elements to it.

I do see it as a minute reflection for the day, to just stop, let go all the stress of daily life and have at least one minute of the day where we aren't being bombarded with busyness. As it is before the 6 o' clock news it's kind of nice to have that peaceful time before we hear about job losses, crooked politicians and war and suffering in the world. Maybe there should be another minute reflection, peace time at the end of the news too.

What harm is a minute a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Just what I was thinking seachmall. I really don't want this to turn into a big religious debate as I respect peoples faith. I don't happen to be religious which is neither here nor there with this issue. I just don't think this short religious ident is representative of or appealing to the viewer demographic anymore.

I have a strong feeling it's just there as it would be too difficult to remove it now from the controversy it might cause and also because they'd have to change the name of Six One to Six. Though they could run another minute of ads before the news meaning approximately 6 hours worth of prime time advertising fees per year to fund better programming. I think my calculations are correct, sorry I'm crap at maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The noise of the 'bongs' is really annoying, otherwise I don't think I would take any notice of the Angelus. As another poster said the 'modern' version is irritataing with people staring vacantly into space, but I don't find it offensive. I wonder do non-catholics? I'm not religious btw, but I think there are far more annoying things on RTE - Fairly Shitty for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Zero1986 wrote: »
    You don't get this kind of crap on any of the English channels, or least not to a degree.

Today on the Beeb....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/genres/religionandethics/schedules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This can end in about a minute.

Does anyone know if the likes of Poland, Italy etc have state sponsored bongs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm a disgusting heathen and holy water burns my skin like Alien acid blood.

Having said that I've become comfortable with the Angelus bell thing. I think it has crossed from being an Irish religious thing to a cultural/ethnic thing.

Leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I like it.

I think for the sake of two minutes per day, everybody whether religious or not would probably be better off taking that time to take stock of themselves as a person.

Having said that, speaking as a Catholic, it would not bother me in the slightest if RTE stopped broadcasting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

padma wrote: »
    I don't see any harm in it really. As a religious thing, maybe they could add a few Muslim, Hindu, Protestant, jewish and atheist ;) elements to it.

I do see it as a minute reflection for the day, to just stop, let go all the stress of daily life and have at least one minute of the day where we aren't being bombarded with busyness. As it is before the 6 o' clock news it's kind of nice to have that peaceful time before we hear about job losses, crooked politicians and war and suffering in the world. Maybe there should be another minute reflection, peace time at the end of the news too.

What harm is a minute a day?
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    I like it.

I think for the sake of two minutes per day, everybody whether religious or not would probably be better off taking that time to take stock of themselves as a person.

Having said that, speaking as a Catholic, it would not bother me in the slightest if RTE stopped broadcasting it.

Seriously, who does this? Who actually pauses for the day to self-reflect?

Either, way if you do, that's your own business.

It should not be rammed down our throats by the state broadcaster.

Station has a very catholic agenda. Sending Bryan Dobson to Rome recently for new pope.
    Giving air time to Desmond Connell, Brian Darcy and that pseudo priest David Quinn regulary and also interviewing priests when something bad happens in a vilage (which they often refer to as a parish).

It's a reflectoin of the old Ireland that we should leave behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Having said that I've become comfortable with the Angelus bell thing. I think it has crossed from being an Irish religious thing to a cultural/ethnic thing.

Leave it alone.

No, RTE is paid for by the tax payer under force of law and should remain secular. The Angeles is not secular, we all know where it comes from and what it represents, the timing before the news too really hammers home the catholic message. Here's the news domestic and international, but first let's remind ourselves what's really important. It reminds me that there aren't enough secular schools, that people get children baptised to get preferential treatment over children of any other alignment. It reminds me that we have blasphemy laws, the state of our preamble to the constitution, and the lack of abortion services. Maybe that is a good thing in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously, who does this? Who actually pauses for the day to self-reflect?

Either, way if you do, that's your own business.

It should not be rammed down our throats by the state broadcaster.

Station has a very catholic agenda. Sending Bryan Dobson to Rome recently for new pope.
    Giving air time to Desmond Connell, Brian Darcy and that pseudo priest David Quinn regulary and also interviewing priests when something bad happens in a vilage (which they often refer to as a parish).

It's a reflectoin of the old Ireland that we should leave behind.

Instead we should have coco pops, and kellogs frosties shoved down our throats. Come on man, it ain't bad and yes, you have the option of turning it off for one whole minute while being outraged at the loss of said minute.

As you quoted my post, you would have seen that I also advocated bringing in more groups in to the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Leave it alone.

Same here. The Angelus doesn't bother me at all. Some hipsters seem to have a particular problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

The issue of The Angelus reared it's head some years ago just after TV3 announced that it was to change its 5.30 pm news to 6.00 pm, and it made me wonder if the Angelus issue may have eminated from within RTE.

Otherwise, it does not bother me one way or another as I have not watched any TV in the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Same here. The Angelus doesn't bother me at all. Some hipsters seem to have a particular problem with it.

Apathy is not a quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

padma wrote: »

What? Someone sitting there saying "Cop the fcuk on!. It's just a load of myths and fables"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Get rid of it. I emailed RTE to whinge about it but didn't get much response. I hate it. That awful banging around dinner time when you are waiting on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

What does being a hipster have to do with anything? You don't have to be a hipster to have an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hi there.
    No, RTE is paid for by the tax payer under force of law and should remain secular. The Angeles is not secular, we all know where it comes from and what it represents, the timing before the news too really hammers home the catholic message.

Remain secular? It never was secular. Even the BBC does religious ****. Absolute secularism is an ideal.
    Here's the news domestic and international, but first let's remind ourselves what's really important.

I like this analysis but I don't think it holds any water these days.
    It reminds me that there aren't enough secular schools,

I agree. In fact I think religious should be opt-in rather than how it is now.
    that people get children baptised to get preferential treatment over children of any other alignment. It reminds me that we have blasphemy laws, the state of our preamble to the constitution, and the lack of abortion services. Maybe that is a good thing in a way

Again, I agree. I just think the Angelus bell thingy has crossed from being a religious thing to a cultural thing. It's a quirk that distinguishes us from the masses and I kinda like it for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

being a non catholic i use it as a dinner gong
    I use it as a reminder that I've accidentally switched to the ****ty Irish stations and change the channel.

Advertisement