Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options
  • 04-07-2012 5:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

The Angelus . I watch RTE News, however I am not religious. Every night when I tune in, I am met and infringed with this codswallop.

Why should I put up with this? Who wants the Angelus ? If you want prayer, go to mass, don't inflict in on the masses.

At this stage I find it semi- offensive, and semi-hilarious . Black man painting a wall, white woman looks at clock, pause, tries to divide 37 by 4, .. Pause. Bong..

When will RTE give up ramming religion down out throat. Change with the times.

I hate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

.............. aaaaaand breathe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

dchris wrote: »
    The Angelus . I watch RTE News, however I am not religious. Every night when I tune in, I am met and infringed with this codswallop.

Why should I put up with this? Who wants the Angelus ? If you want prayer, go to mass, don't inflict in on the masses.

At this stage I find it semi- offensive, and semi-hilarious . Black man painting a wall, white woman looks at clock, pause, tries to divide 37 by 4, .. Pause. Bong..

I hate it!

Our generation isn't religious but the previous one was and they are still alive and make up the bulk of RTE's audience. They will continue to play the angelus aslong as the old biddy's want it.

Give it about 15-20 years and it will be gone. This doesn't help you now ofcourse but it might calm you down knowing that it won't grace the airwaves forever......and you sound like you need calming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Bongggg

This might make you feel better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MrGeneric

The Angelus should be replaced by Aslan. At least then RTE will be consistent. Let's get a petition going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrGeneric wrote: »
    The Angelus should be replaced by Aslan. At least then RTE will be consistent. Let's get a petition going.

The Aslangelus!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Its perfect, I use that Minute to get the Headlines on BBC

I think the minute be much better spent highlighting missing people , instead of random people pausing and posing. Keep the bongs if the religious want it, but use it for communal good and benefit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who watches the news these days? Old people is all, the kind of people who want to listen to the Angelus.

I think they should make an album with all the best moments of The Angelus.

They could call it Hits from the Bongs.

I think they should make an album with all the best moments of The Angelus.

They could call it Hits from the Bongs.

Thats just gas! We could have a reeling in the bongs too, The Angelus through the decades.

We must be the only folk to have it in Europe . If we had tourists, they'd think we were (funda)mentalists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Kirby wrote: »

Give it about 15-20 years and it will be gone.

it won't though, people were saying the same in the 80's and its still here.

to be fair a trend we seem to go through in this country, those in their 20's and even 30's & 40's have no time for religion (well obviously some do but most don't)

but by the time people get into their 50's 60's their social calendar again usually (there are always exceptions) becomes less about 21st's and 30th's, an more about "did you hear who died?"

Most People fear death, religion helps people feel comforted they go to mass and the angelus continues for the new religious oldies! :pac:

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Most People fear death, religion helps people feel comforted they go to mass and the angelus continues for the new religious oldies! :pac:

I don't buy this for a single second. Yes, in the moments before death while we are petrified, most ask for help or turn to god in fear of the unknown. But thats at the very end.

People don't suddenly turn religious as they get older. You either are or aren't. My granny wasn't a religious person and she thought the Angelus was a load of old cod....that didn't change as she got older. Both my parents are in their 50's now and haven't suddenly started going to mass. They simply aren't religious people.

As I said, its a different generation. The god fearing, ruled by the church paddies are dying out. In twenty years when the current crop of 30 year olds are 50, they will think the same about the Angelus and it will be phased out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

BONG

Bong

Bong

Bong

BONG

Bong

BONG

Bongggggggggggg....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I hate it!

We are a Catholic country, deal with it. If you go to another county you will have to deal with their religion, have some respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's not the Angelus, it's a "Time to Reflect" ;)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thats just gas! We could have a reeling in the bongs too, The Angelus through the decades.

We must be the only folk to have it in Europe . If we had tourists, they'd think we were (funda)mentalists

Why do you watch it then? If you're sitting there watching it and counting the bongs, the only one inflicting religion upon himself is you, unless you've been tied to a chair by a religious zealot who's holding the remote out of reach and laughing like a lunatic.

The tourists couldn't give a toss, they're too busy walking in the rain and moaning about getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I do my best to duck the angelus. Quick reactions to mute the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

As far as Im concerned its just 18 bongs which means its 6pm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

I hate it!

Don't turn on RTE One till 6.01pm

Your life will probably be better for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

woman looks at clock, pause, tries to divide 37 by 4, .. Pause. Bong..

Bravo sir, I am holding my sides here.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

BONG

Bong

Bong

BONG

Bong

Bong

BONG

Bong

Bong

BONG

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong

Bong
    FYP:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

@ninjak-We are not all catholics. The church should not be considered to rule this country. Religion should be freedom of choice,along with alot of other major life decisions. Ireland has changed hugely,maybe now we ought to have the muslim call to prayer, a pagan ritual,jewish prayers.Or none at all.There are churches and mosques for people to go to practice their relioion. Surely our national state run broadcaster should not be biased to a religion.Many people in this country pay tv licence money,not all of us are catholic,i'd like to see that reflected in the programming.Just a thought,no ill will meant to you personally,of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭squonk

I hate it!

I replied to another post from you over on the radio forum. The Angelus is a tradition and means something to some generations. Nothing is stopping you turning over to RTE2 to watch the Simpsons or any of the other channels you have. Stop the hate posts and go out and get a life for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

NinjaK wrote: »
    We are a Catholic country, deal with it. If you go to another county you will have to deal with their religion, have some respect.

You do realise that this argument is devoid of logic?

Even if the majority of the population is of a certain religion why should the state broadcaster show favour or bias towards that religion. State institutions should be secular and unbiased.

When I visit other European countries I haven't noticed the state broadcaster transmitting in favour of the religion of one segment of the population. Maybe you are referring to countries of North Africa or Arabia or maybe Franco's Spain? Are they the models of society you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why would i want to Buck, suck or muck the anglelus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Between the angelus and aslan on rte, they really have to find a goldilocks zone to keep everyone happy and I don't think that will be possible with faircity being broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Why would i want to Buck, suck or muck the anglelus

I keep imagining the word as Duck. For some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

squonk-just because it has been a tradition does not mean that it should be carried on. That does not make it right. The national state run broadcater ought to be neutral and not biased to any one religion.That's just it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Heh, The News, I remember that

Advertisement