Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

We've a lot of Polish community here and the travellers who are very catholic and I'd assume they'd like to keep it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

catallus wrote: »
    With the marvellous modern God-given miracles of portable music players one can delight in the Angelus anyplace in the whole of creation at the time of one's choosing.

Weren't you banned from AH for trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Why would any Catholic secure in their beliefs care? Why the tetchiness?

That seems to be a general trend amongst Boards' ultramontanist contingent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

The Angelus is fine by me if it continues to annoy this crowd who spend most of their day looking for any excuse to bash the Catholic Church, and who look down their nose at an older generation, many of whom hold their faith dear to them, as if they are more enlightened or "see through the church". So keep it rolling at 18 hundred hours if it continues to p!ss these people off

100% agree I'm not even a catholic , was born an muslim. After 25years living here it's crazy how the enlightened people want to turn their backs on everything that built this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

arayess wrote: »
    100% agree I'm not even a catholic , was born an muslim. After 25years living here it's crazy how the enlightened people want to turn their backs on everything that built this country

Ah yes, the golden age of Ireland where women were kept in their place and being gay was illegal.

The construction industry in UAE literally built the country but I doubt you'll see people being against the idea of paying people fairly and all that jazz.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the golden age of Ireland where women were kept in their place and being gay was illegal.

of course , how could I forget because everything is measured against gay rights.

No achievement is ever justified if gay rights isn't promoted to the top of the queue.:rolleyes:

Times have moved on , it doesnt invalidate things because some things werent done correctly.

In my 25 years here Ireland has achieved a lot to be proud of. more than many other countries. But there are those (a lot on boards) who seem to think the past was something to be ashamed of. It wasn't. some stuff was shameful but a lot wasnt. a bit of perspective would be helpful

of course , how could I forget because everything is measured against gay rights.

No achievement is ever justified if gay rights isn't promoted to the top of the queue.:rolleyes:

Times have moved on , it doesnt invalidate things because some things werent done correctly.

In my 25 years here Ireland has achieved a lot to be proud of. more than many other countries. But there are those (a lot on boards) who seem to think the past was something to be ashamed of. It wasn't. some stuff was shameful but a lot wasnt. a bit of perspective would be helpful

I dont think all women were gay. I may be wrong but I think most of the women sent to the laundries were straight. But hey, lets pretend that never happened.

Or you know the whole covering up child abuse.

On boards if you dare question anything shady in the past youre just a catholic basher anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Considering some of the utter ****e thats on RTE the Angelus is probably one of the best programs it airs. Why axe a good programme when theres ghastly **** being kept?

I dont think all women were gay. I may be wrong but I think most of the women sent to the laundries were straight. But hey, lets pretend that never happened.

Or you know the whole covering up child abuse.

you mis-read what I said and are projecting to what i said.

I never mentioned covering up abuse. I did state some shameful things happened. I was clear on that so I don't see your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

What's wrong with it ?. Militant atheists getting worked up over something trivial.

• Advertisement

I mis-read what I said and are projecting to what i said.

I never mentioned covering up abuse. I did state some shameful things happened. I was clear on that so I don't see your point.

Your claims of people turning their backs on what built the country.

People turn the backs on an organisation which abused it's power and negatively affected the lives of a lot of people and still to this day drags its heels at any attempt to progress or discover the details of what happened in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

What's wrong with it ?. Militant atheists getting worked up over something trivial.

Hipster generation. Trivial things are now integral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

After 25years living here it's crazy how the enlightened people want to turn their backs on everything that built this country

America was built on slavery, but thankfully they've seen the light and abolished that idea, despite having the support of the (old testament) bible on their side. More recently Ireland agreed that married women had equal rights of employment to single women, single and married men. Soon we may even see equal pay between the genders, and equal rights to the protection afforded by state marriage.

We should always question our societal norms and seek to improve upon them. Whether those norms played a part in our past is irrelevant; the issue is whether they have a place in our future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Lol..Militant atheists would be campaigning for a minute of screen time showing Stephen Fry reading God Is Not Great or The God Delusion before the news. You really have no clue about the idea of freedom of religion or secularism. But hey, the angelus does no harm and it's a tradition, so let's not discuss it ever, and instead accuse anyone who thinks it should be removed as being part of some anti-catholic brigade or militant atheists!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Rabid Merlot

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Hadn't he

Leo let it slip that it's part of some legislation currently being drafted but wont be through the houses & enacted in time to take out this years ban on Good Friday drinking.
    So this year is your last chance to get house party wasted on Good Friday, make it count.

K4t wrote: »
    Lol..Militant atheists would be campaigning for a minute of screen time showing Stephen Fry reading God Is Not Great or The God Delusion before the news. You really have no clue about the idea of freedom of religion or secularism. But hey, the angelus does no harm and it's a tradition, so let's not discuss it ever, and instead accuse anyone who thinks it should be removed as being part of some anti-catholic brigade or militant atheists!

It's not an accusation its a fact that people who want it removed are anti-Catholic. You only need to read posts on here to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Leo let it slip that it's part of some legislation currently being drafted
    A few weeks ago, the Minister for Justice said, in answer to a question from a journalist, that a change is something she will consider. Then another member of the Cabinet said he would oppose any such change.

Given that there has been no talk of a green paper, or any type of consultation, or a heads of bill, it's highly unlikely that any decision has been made, let alone any legislation being drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

The State should not be promoting any religion. So make the catholic church pay for the advertising time. Tradition maintained, conflict of interest gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

A lot of that period was an embarrassment, particularly when you consider things like condoms being effectively banned until the late 1970s and then only available on prescription until the 90s when sale was finally normalised.

No divorce from the foundation of the state until 1997 (date of first divorce granted).

The Magdalene laundry scandals, the massive institutional child abuse scandals, symphsioyomy, use of mental institutions on an inexplicably large scale (we had a higher proportion of our population in institutions in the 1950 and 60s than any other country).

Little things like that are an absolute embarrassment.

I'm proud of how far we've come in the last three or four decadea and how quickly but, our recent past is an absolute social disaster zone.

How many aging, homeless or under achieving under-educated Irish people in Britian were denied a start in life by our nutjob of a system.

That whole generation were basically just treated like dirt by the establishment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's not an accusation its a fact that people who want it removed are anti-Catholic. You only need to read posts on here to see that.

Not anti-Catholic; pro-secularism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You really are a precious soul; asking and advocating for separation of church and state does not mean one is anti-catholic or anti-religious. If anything, it means the opposite, it would mean freedom of all religions. But as you and so many of your friends who have posted on this thread have shown, you only believe in freedom of your own religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vi Peterson

tbh Ireland is still havily regarded as a Catholic country, so it would be a shame to remove the Angelus, it's like a tradition. Yes, Ireland is multicultural, but so is Italy and they still keep the Vatican. Also, there are tons of people living here from Eastern Europe, part of Africa that are either Catholic or at least Christian. I don't think Ireland should remove it's identity just to pander to different religions who only make up a small percentage.

conorh91 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, the Minister for Justice said, in answer to a question from a journalist, that a change is something she will consider. Then another member of the Cabinet said he would oppose any such change.

Given that there has been no talk of a green paper, or any type of consultation, or a heads of bill, it's highly unlikely that any decision has been made, let alone any legislation being drafted.

Shane Coleman on Newstalk said on the George Hook show (where Ireland's drinking culture was being discussed with Dr. Ciara Kelly) that Leo Varadkar has said that Francis Fitzgerald was about to bring legislation before the Dail regrading the abolition of the Good Friday prohibition but it wouldn't be ready for this year.

Maybe Leo was off on a solo run again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

The Angelus on RTE ....

.......... Bong .......... Bong .......... Bong ..........

.... should be taken off. Pure fooooookin annoying.

But the land of "De Little Peeple" is run by a bunch of Clowns for a bunch of Clowns
    and the mindset takes a very long time to change .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Shane Coleman on Newstalk said on the George Hook show (where Ireland's drinking culture was being discussed with Dr. Ciara Kelly) that Leo Varadkar has said that Francis Fitzgerald was about to bring legislation before the Dail
    So you say that Shane Coleman said that Leo Varadkar said that Frances FitzGerald said something.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Yes, Ireland is multicultural, but so is Italy and they still keep the Vatican.
    The Vatican is not technically a part of Italy though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I thought they'd technically done away with calling it the Angelus, and it was now a "moment for reflection"? When I was a kid it was always accompanied with some holy picture, now it's random people pausing whatever they're doing and looking into the middle distance for a few seconds.

Equally weird, it certainly has no place in Ireland today. It's really no different to the Muslim call to prayer. For all our talk, Ireland has many vestiges of a nation ruled just as harshly as Sharia law.

conorh91 wrote: »
    So you say that Shane Coleman said that Leo Varadkar said that Frances FitzGerald said something.

I'll believe it when I see it.

You know the weeks before the summer recess would be the perfect time to enact this.
    It's not anywhere near Good Friday for a start, the gay marriage referendum will have been done so it won't get dragged into the debate of undermining Christianity, it will be lost behind minimum pricing & restricted opening times, plus the politicians are then off for weeks so don't have to answer any tough questions.
    I can almost see their plan hatching.

Equally weird, it certainly has no place in Ireland today.

Of course it has a place in Ireland today, Ireland being a country where the majority of the population are catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Bong... people mowing the grass....bong....young ones colouring angels....bong..... baldy babies heads....bong....

I wish they'd give a rest. It would flippin drive you to religion :rolleyes:

Advertisement