Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus

Options
  • 07-01-2007 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

Is anyone actually in favour of it? Or like it?

What's your opinion on the Angelus? 116 votes

Love it. Wouldn't be without my 6.00 pray before the news.
    0%
    Leave it. It's grand.
    7%
    Sangregrowlerh2skikelLisapeepJCBBe The Holyjoebhoy1916Coileach dearg 9 votes
    Don't care.
    50%
    tony 2 toneThe SweeperneGevFrank GrimesFlukeysnickerpussnetwhizkidparasiteRed AlertCactus ColchumpOrielguccijimmycrackcormandrewBig EarsalleepallyCathyMoranSnake PliskenSully 59 votes
    Hate it. Can't stand it. Get rid of it.
    41%
    D-GenerateimpOur man in HavanaV9KaromaBatemanNevynRedrocketHelterSkelterKoldDon1aidan_walshWebmonkeysimuCalhounPonstertbh_blank_beansSmellyirishman 48 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Don't care.
    Its only for a few mins each day. I dont see the problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yeah, but are we not supposed a secular, European society?
    How exactly is it relevant? how is it fair to non-Catholics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It takes away from my valuable TV time...oh wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I don't really have any feelings about it one way or another. When I was younger and living with my parents we would always sit down to dinner just before 6pm and we weren't allowed to eat until we'd said the angelus led by my Dad. Once that was over we'd eat away but always quietly as my Dad insisted on absolute silence to watch the news.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Don't care.
    obl wrote:
    How exactly is it relevant? how is it fair to non-Catholics?

Oh for crying out loud. This is Ireland. The majority of people are Catholics. The majority practise that religion. Just because we have a minority of people who dont believe or believe in different types of religion does not mean we should just take it away altogether and not practise our religion in anyway in front of them. Its like people getting offended at Christmas time because we say "Happy Christmas" - non-believers and believers of other religions winge and cry that we are not being fair to them.

Do we go over to their country and ask them to stop practising their faith because we dont believe in it?

Brings back this to memory: http://www.marcusbarrett.co.uk/musings/wp-content/uploads/CRE_Xmas_Card.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Whats the going rate for 60 seconds of prime time advertising space, bill them I say. The catholic church get away with too much in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Do we go over to their country and ask them to stop practising their faith because we dont believe in it?
    Oops, assuming all these "non-believers and believers of other religions" are not originally Irish is a bit of a PC faux pas, no? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Sully04 wrote:
    Oh for crying out loud. This is Ireland. The majority of people are Catholics. The majority practise that religion.

If that's true, bully for them. Why is a ringing bell on the telly a useful complement for the lifestyle of these pious individuals? Immediately preceding it is five minutes of ads for all manner of unholy things, following it is news of the latest gangland killing.

I won't begrudge anyone their moment of prayer, but a person who feels strongly about the Angelus doesn't need to be reminded by the telly. I incline to the view to somebody sat in front of the goggle box isn't usually there to pray.

We used to have Irish dancing on the radio. It did no harm. But somehow it got taken off air. Why should it be considered offensive to not issue a call to prayer on prime time telly? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd prefer if they used the time to show 2 commericals before the news. Perhaps a cillt-bang or meteor ad followed by one for dell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

DonJose wrote:
    Whats the going rate for 60 seconds of prime time advertising space, bill them I say. The catholic church get away with too much in Ireland.

agreed, it may be on for only 60 seconds but i find it grossly offensive

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote:
    But somehow it got taken off air.
    Because someone finally woke up and realised that dancing is a skill best appreciated visually?

Of course, then we got "Celebrity Jigs and Reels", but thats a different complaint.

Don't care.
    admiralgar wrote:
    agreed, it may be on for only 60 seconds but i find it grossly offensive

Whats so offensive about bells and people stopping in silence? o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I love it...gives me a chance to see what's happening on the BBC news headlines...most of the time I never switch back unless there's something on the RTÉ news that I particulalry want to see.

Seriously though, it does my head in and I think it's time has passed...not for any "oh we're all european now" bullsh*t reason; simply for the fact that it symbolises an Ireland borne out of the strict confines of catholicism, a religion which had far too much bearing on our progress as a state and which it has now come to light, had many dark secrets in it's own closet whilst telling it's denizens how to live and how not to live their lives.

I understand there are many older people out ther, probably more devout than people of my age who like the angelus, like going to mass and all that malarkey....I just don't think it's apropriate that a state run broadcaster should choose to continue to promote one particular religion over all others, when nearly all vestiges of that religion have been removed from the running of that state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Down with this kind of thing! RTE is a state broadcaster and as such should have no truck with a particular faith.

Mike.

Don't care.
    Wertz wrote:
    Seriously though, it does my head in and I think it's time has passed...not for any "oh we're all european now" bullsh*t reason; simply for the fact that it symbolises an Ireland borne out of the strict confines of catholicism, a religion which had far too much bearing on our progress as a state and which it has now come to light, had many dark secrets in it's own closet whilst telling it's denizens how to live and how not to live their lives.

One of the reasons iv turned against the catholic teachings. I believe what I want to believe as I think the Catholic Church is corrupt and full of lies.
    I just don't think it's apropriate that a state run broadcaster should choose to continue to promote one particular religion over all others, when nearly all vestiges of that religion have been removed from the running of that state.

Its because Irelands majority are Catholics. If we were all Muslims, I doubt the state would be having the Angelus on TV. Yes I know we are in Europe, have more then just catholics here - but the majority of the country are nationals and are catholics and this is why the state does this. The same with why we celebreate Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Don't care.
    I've no problem with it whatsoever. Though, with Ireland being so multi-cultural now and with so many religions present in the country, it is a bit biased of RTE to be letting the Catholic Church continue to play it. No problem with the Angelus itself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Leave it. It's grand.
    obl wrote:

No, what gave you that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Don't care.
    We did this debate before, (OP do a search before duplicating old threads) nothing wrong with it at all, I'm sure all of the Polish don't mind it either as the majority of them are Catholics, if you don't like it and u find it offensive like admgar above get off your arse and get the remote and turnover!

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I love the actors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sully04 wrote:
    Its because Irelands majority are Catholics. If we were all Muslims, I doubt the state would be having the Angelus on TV. Yes I know we are in Europe, have more then just catholics here - but the majority of the country are nationals and are catholics and this is why the state does this. The same with why we celebreate Christmas.

What ever happened to the idea of seperation of church and state? Have we just given up on that crazy notion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Don't care.
    I think it should be left there. I'm not Catholic, but I leave it on before the news whether it is TV or radio. I don't see any symbolism in it (in fact they rarely use ant Christian symbolism) it is merely a nice time for reflection or silence. It also comes (these days) around the time of the Isha, last prayer of the day for Muslims, and is just a nice little co-incidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nice vid find Pigman II

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't care.
    Pigman II wrote:
    Good one! :D

Keep the Angelus. It's a nice way of saying it's six o'clock - time to hit the pubs.
    I also say Jesus, Mary and Joseph when surprised. Some things are best left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Leave it I say. Everything else I can remember from my childhood is gone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Leave it. It's grand.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    What ever happened to the idea of seperation of church and state? Have we just given up on that crazy notion?
    Well, we never had that crazy notion in the first place. Have you ever read the 1937 Constitution?

This isn't America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

InFront wrote:
    I think it should be left there. I'm not Catholic, but I leave it on before the news whether it is TV or radio. I don't see any symbolism in it (in fact they rarely use ant Christian symbolism) it is merely a nice time for reflection or silence. It also comes (these days) around the time of the Isha, last prayer of the day for Muslims, and is just a nice little co-incidence

Quick question; do state run broadcasters in Islamist states do similar for evening prayer and the like?

[edit] Or would it be more like, that the tv simply wouldn't be on at a time like that?

DaveMcG wrote:
    http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/html%20files/Constitution%20of%20Ireland%20(Eng)Nov2004.htm
    CONSTITUTION OF IRELAND

In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,

We, the people of Éire,

Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,

Gratefully remembering their heroic and unremitting struggle to regain the rightful independence of our Nation,

And seeking to promote the common good, with due observance of Prudence, Justice and Charity, so that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be assured, true social order attained, the unity of our country restored, and concord established with other nations,

Do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this Constitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My position is still unchanged, don't have an issue with it. Linkeh to auld thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Don't care.
    Wertz wrote:
    Quick question; do state run broadcasters in Islamist states do similar for evening prayer and the like?
    [edit] Or would it be more like, that the tv simply wouldn't be on at a time like that?

Yes there are reminders run on TV but these are of limited value bacause of time differences (times are quite exact) of course you also have the call to prayer from the mosques with the azaan. I don't know about other places but in Pakistan public (government) buildings shut for prayers now, they didn't used to before AFAIK. There are even people who get prayer reminders on their mobile phones... dont think we have that in Ireland yet!

Advertisement