Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Congrats ShaShaBear, whens the wedding?

9th September, so we have a good bit to go to get all of the planning done! Going to see a band next week so hopefully we will be able to book them on the night and thats one out of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Amoureux

Have my makeup sorted now as well, €230 for me, two bridesmaids and my mothers and they're coming to my house. Much prefer having hair and makeup coming to mine rather than me having to travel to them. I plan on being in my dressing gown all day until I have to put on the dress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Quick question, am a bit ahead of myself as I'm not getting married till September 2016 but I like to know these things! My cousin is a pastry chef and has offered to do the cake as a present( which is great!). Should I just let her do it whichever she likes or would it be cheeky of me to suggest what way I'd like it? I've seen her wedding cakes previously and they do be fab, but we have one or two things we'd like to have on it. What's the norm in these situations?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Wow lucky you, so much handier.. Id say suggest what ye would like I am sure she will ask ye herself, as sure there is not point in her making something that ye would not like yerselfs..

Not etiquette really just a make sure and thank her after

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    9th September, so we have a good bit to go to get all of the planning done! Going to see a band next week so hopefully we will be able to book them on the night and thats one out of the road!

Awh that's my birthday! We're seeing a band this weekend too so hopefully get that box ticked:)

Hair is officially booked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Paying for make up and hair trials is definitely the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble finding someone to marry us! HSE are booked out for our date, as are all the Humanists. So there's another one looking at Interfaith Ministers! Finding their prices a bit steep though but don't think we'll have a choice. For the people that have booked one, does your package include a rehearsal? I'm wondering is a rehearsal really necessary but I suppose it could stop one of us making a fool out of ourselves on the big day!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We didn't have a rehearsal for ours - too hard to schedule one in when we flew back to Limerick less than 3 days before the wedding! We had a meeting with our celebrant on the Friday afternoon though.

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble finding someone to marry us! HSE are booked out for our date, as are all the Humanists. So there's another one looking at Interfaith Ministers! Finding their prices a bit steep though but don't think we'll have a choice. For the people that have booked one, does your package include a rehearsal? I'm wondering is a rehearsal really necessary but I suppose it could stop one of us making a fool out of ourselves on the big day!

I was wondering the same for the HSE actually - I've not been to a wedding in a long time, and feel like I'd end up making an ass of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Crazy_Fool

Hey all, another (May) 2016 bride here! We'll be just over a year engaged when we get married, all I have is people telling me how quickly time ticks past......Church/church music/hotel/photographer/videographer/band/cake/dress and pre-marraige course sorted so far, I think I'm doing ok :/ I've my friend doing the church music and my cousin doing the cake and they are AMAZING at their jobs so I know I'm sorted there :)

Lucky for me I found my dress on my first bridal shop visit, got mine in Simone's in Sligo. Next in line are my bridesmaids dresses, I'm really hoping not to have to pay an absolute fortune for something nice, I've been quite shocked at the price of everything wedding related! Invitations have especially surprised me....I've decided that I will not spend a ridiculous amount of money on things the guests won't even remember.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is the band, we've booked them on recommendations without actually hearing them.....They're called Da Derga and are from Loughrea, Co. Galway, if anyone can share a (hopefully good) experience I'd be delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Crazy_Fool wrote: »
    Next in line are my bridesmaids dresses, I'm really hoping not to have to pay an absolute fortune for something nice, I've been quite shocked at the price of everything wedding related! Invitations have especially surprised me....I've decided that I will not spend a ridiculous amount of money on things the guests won't even remember.

Try VLabel London, they are also on ASOS, very good value dresses, got 3 v good quality ones on ASOS other day for under 120 quid :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Crazy_Fool

etymon wrote: »
    Try VLabel London, they are also on ASOS, very good value dresses, got 3 v good quality ones on ASOS other day for under 120 quid :-)

Ooh thanks for that, will check them out! Anything to while away the hours working nights :D

Some nice dresses there etymon, which did you go for?

Got mine in Debenhans online in the Xmas sales, 3 Debut dresses for under €250. People were laughing at me buying so far in advance but you can't get them now so delight with myself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I got the three raspberry colored strand dresses, delighted as I needed two 8 and one 12, they are fit true to form and stunning, lovely lining etc. It's a city wedding so they suit the occasion. Virgos lounge is their sister label which occasionally have good sales on in Asos too.

The VLabel website has dresses on 'final sale' for crazy prices too.

etymon wrote: »
    I got the three raspberry colored strand dresses, delighted as I needed two 8 and one 12, they are fit true to form and stunning, lovely lining etc. It's a city wedding so they suit the occasion. Virgos lounge is their sister label which occasionally have good sales on in Asos too.

The VLabel website has dresses on 'final sale' for crazy prices too.

Just found some glorious dresses in the right shade of gold! The prices nearly made me soil myself though :(

Just here listening to Rubix. Of course they are fabulous and also booked the day of our wedding. Only a provisional booking with no deposit though, so I've to hunt someone in Kerry down!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just here listening to Rubix. Of course they are fabulous and also booked the day of our wedding. Only a provisional booking with no deposit though, so I've to hunt someone in Kerry down!

They are class aren't they? Hopefully you can get to book them. The fact they don't have a deposit from the others is a good sign. Fu gets crossed for you! ! We have them booked for our wedding.

andreac wrote: »
    They are class aren't they? Hopefully you can get to book them. The fact they don't have a deposit from the others is a good sign. Fu gets crossed for you! ! We have them booked for our wedding.

OH was totally won over! The whole pub was electric and all sorts were up dancing! We had a chat with Aaron before they started and they are only booked for the one Friday in September, typically ours. Sending them an email tomorrow to remind them we are deadly serious about booking. We had €500 with us in cash to book them on the spot - so disappointed! He did say that it was nearly two weeks ago when they booked the date and this is the point where he usually starts chasing people up, so fingers crossed!

OH was totally won over! The whole pub was electric and all sorts were up dancing! We had a chat with Aaron before they started and they are only booked for the one Friday in September, typically ours. Sending them an email tomorrow to remind them we are deadly serious about booking. We had €500 with us in cash to book them on the spot - so disappointed! He did say that it was nearly two weeks ago when they booked the date and this is the point where he usually starts chasing people up, so fingers crossed!

Aren't they brilliant? Really strong singers and they were the same when we went to see them. People of all ages up dancing, was great.

I really hope you get them and i think it is in your favour that the other people haven't given a deposit yet. If they were serious they would have given their deposit by now id say.

Ill keep everything crossed for you!!

They were gone for our date, some very organised Nov 16 brides out there!!

Strange he kept their date without a deposit isnt it? Any bands Ive got prices from have it spelt out, no deposit no booking!

Reminds me must send the hairdresser the deposit:)

We went to see a band Saturday night at a wedding, our 1st time gate crashing!! Was a bit awkward as I figured we'd hide at the bar but we were the only ones at it! Actually thought we were walking in on a big fat gypsy wedding going by the style of the guests. She had 6bridesmaids and 2 junior bridesmaids, must have cost her a fortune Wasnt mad about the band, they were good just not worth the money they were asking for, so still on the lookout.

• Advertisement

They were gone for our date, some very organised Nov 16 brides out there!!

Strange he kept their date without a deposit isnt it? Any bands Ive got prices from have it spelt out, no deposit no booking!

Reminds me must send the hairdresser the deposit:)

We went to see a band Saturday night at a wedding, our 1st time gate crashing!! Was a bit awkward as I figured we'd hide at the bar but we were the only ones at it! Actually thought we were walking in on a big fat gypsy wedding going by the style of the guests. She had 6bridesmaids and 2 junior bridesmaids, must have cost her a fortune Wasnt mad about the band, they were good just not worth the money they were asking for, so still on the lookout.

He actually said He doesn't remember doing it so one of the other lads must have and that if its a quiet month they will hold a date provisionally for about two weeks while people finalise a date. I'm hoping that they fall through, they were utter perfection!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I'm finding the band the most stressful thing to book! I want to see them play before booking so I'm limited to fairly local bands and I just don't like many of them! Had one that I loved booked in April but it fell through and can't find anyone to measure up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

are you looking for a particular style? do you want a very lively band? You dont have to limit yourself to a local band as a lot of big wedding bands will play locally to you (if you wish to see them) at some stage.

pampootie wrote: »
    I'm finding the band the most stressful thing to book! I want to see them play before booking so I'm limited to fairly local bands and I just don't like many of them! Had one that I loved booked in April but it fell through and can't find anyone to measure up

Where are you based? Maybe we can recommend someone for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I'm based in Cork. We were hoping for a soul/motown type band but I think we've exhausted most of our options on that front! Wedding is the May Bank holiday next year so I'm panicking that loads of bands will be booked out!

mmm even thinking soul/motown there aren't many in Cork is there.. Have you chanced maybe asking in the Crane Lane would they know any bands...

We were at a wedding the pearls played I thought they were very good, bit loud but they were fun.. Only thing is they are an agency band so you might not get the same lineup...

Theres a band also not sure are they still going under Indigo they are ok missing a bit of something but not the worst

Definately the most stressful. Think its because they're hard to research...have to actually spend time going to see them, cant trust reviews since peoples taste differs... everythingelse has been so handy to organise, send a few emails, find ones in budget, check theyre websites to see do you like their work, check a few reviews, done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

I'm based in Cork. We were hoping for a soul/motown type band but I think we've exhausted most of our options on that front! Wedding is the May Bank holiday next year so I'm panicking that loads of bands will be booked out!

My band weren't a typical wedding band. They have 3 people singing a guy and 2 girls (who'd all be aged in their 20s/30s). I think they might be what you're looking for

http://www.paulodonnell.ie/

We saw them play a street festival in West Cork last summer (they were brilliant really funky) and I tracked them down and was delighted that a) they do weddings b) they were free on my date.
    Paul the guy who leads them said that he has a lot of other projects (he's a professor of music in UCC) so he doesn't get time to promote the band a lot so you might find that they are free on your date. We were really happy with them. They are Cork-based

Uhh they are funky were they expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

1850 Milly but I didn't haggle

Advertisement