Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    No. They wrote us into the wedding book, gave us a receipt with all the details and the manager's signature and told us they'd be in touch 6 weeks before date to go through everything.

Oh. Wonder what the hell we're getting so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Oh. Wonder what the hell we're getting so!

And here was me thinking something was odd with my set up!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We got a contract emailed to us, and we signed it and returned it. I assumed it was standard practice. It outlines everything included in our package, from timings to what's included to penalties that may be incurred in certain situations to our obligations to their obligations. Absolutely everything is covered in it, so if there's a disagreement about anything, we can refer back to the contract.

I'd be very uncomfortable without one, tbh. For instance, between signing our contract to now, several of the packages have changed. If our coordinator tried to say "Oh you only get X with your package", we can point to our contract and say "No, when we signed our contracts, we agreed that we would get X, Y and Z".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

We didn't sign any contract. Everything was done by email though so I'd have a record of everything that was agreed if it did end up in the small claims court. As it was they forgot to charge us for a few things so happy days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well I ordered my dress last night!! Went back to the first place again and tried it on and loved it. So excited!! Plus they had 10% off too which was great.

• Advertisement

Been trying to get hold of our celebrant for the past week and can't. Was trying to arrange to pay a deposit and arrange a few bits. Starting to get worried now cos she was pretty much the only one available on our date so if she's booked someone else in we're a bit screwed!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you tried phoning her at all or were you just emailing? It's prob a busy time with weddings everyday I'd say so maybe she just doesn't have time to reply but I would maybe leave a voice mail with your concerns and hopefully she will get back to you.

Rang her 3 or 4 times. Left voicemails. Maybe she's away or something but if we haven't heard from her in a few days we'll have to start looking at alternatives.

Photographer booked, band getting deposit tomorrow, DJ booked, flowers decided on and to be booked next Friday! Hoping that by December I'll have it all organised bar my dress!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

What band did you go with shashabear? Went to see a couple the past few nights, think I'm gonna book Electric Avenue! Anyone heard them before?

• Advertisement

What band did you go with shashabear? Went to see a couple the past few nights, think I'm gonna book Electric Avenue! Anyone heard them before?

They're known as The Great Pretenders for weddings, or Armageddon when they play as a classic rock cover band in pubs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Amoureux

So I was one of the unfortunate brides that got ripped off in that whole Limerick Wedding Dress Shop saga, luckily I had paid by credit card and I got my money back. Just recently got sorted with a new dress, couldn't get the same one but I didn't mind because I think it was tainted by that whole incident. That now means I have the folloying ticked off my list; Church, Priest, Church Music, Reception Venue, Photographer, Videographer, Dress, Band, DJ. Next on my list is flowers and bridemaid dresses. I have some questions about flowers, what should I be expecting to pay? My wedding is in July and I just plan on going with whatever is in season. How much flowers would I need? Would I get bouquets and church arrangements from the same florist or would it be ok to go with different suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Amoureux wrote: »
    So I was one of the unfortunate brides that got ripped off in that whole Limerick Wedding Dress Shop saga, luckily I had paid by credit card and I got my money back. Just recently got sorted with a new dress, couldn't get the same one but I didn't mind because I think it was tainted by that whole incident. That now means I have the folloying ticked off my list; Church, Priest, Church Music, Reception Venue, Photographer, Videographer, Dress, Band, DJ. Next on my list is flowers and bridemaid dresses. I have some questions about flowers, what should I be expecting to pay? My wedding is in July and I just plan on going with whatever is in season. How much flowers would I need? Would I get bouquets and church arrangements from the same florist or would it be ok to go with different suppliers?

Oh thank god you paid by visa! Is your new dress the same style as the original?

You might get a better deal from florist if you get all from the one. I've my own bouquets done, my early diy project so only need church flowers. Only have one quote so far. €100 for large pedestal arrangements, €70 for medium, €70 for candle arrangement incl plain candles, 10 pew ends €35-80. €40 set up fee. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

So I'm officially joining this conversation! Engaged in May, looking at April 2016 for the wedding (no waiting around for me).

Venue & church provisionally booked, we need to pay the deposit but we attended service at the Unitarian church on Sunday and we were delighted!

Wedding planning = overwhelming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is isn't it, 50 guests and 75 extra for after.. I cant say I know the place would be interesting to find out if tis nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Milly33 wrote: »
    It is isn't it, 50 guests and 75 extra for after.. I cant say I know the place would be interesting to find out if tis nice

Careful it's only 25 extra for after!

yeah you would have to read all the fine print to me that says 75 to the afters after the 50 but youd have to ask..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Milly33 wrote: »
    yeah you would have to read all the fine print to me that says 75 to the afters after the 50 but youd have to ask..

A meal and drinks will fuel a wedding for 50 guests, before an evening buffet caters for an additional 25 celebrants

On the right hand side of the page

• Advertisement

Oh ok sorry I didn't see that I was reading under it the fine print.. They should clear that one up better..

The needs eyes like brides haha

Still a good deal if someone is looking for a venue for a small wedding. There have been a few threads from people that can't find anywhere to host something for 50 people.

I know I was looking for them but they seem to have gone back a few pages, hopefully someone might take a look here and see..

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Guys, this only popped into our heads this morning but we are getting married on the 18th of March. Right in the middle of lent.
    Are we allowed to have flowers in the church during lent?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

As with everything else to do with the church ceremony I would check directly with the priest. Not every parish does things the same and not every priest does things the same. One priest may have no problem with flowers while another is dead against them. I figure priests appreciate when you ask them these things too. It is a sign of respect to check things like this with them, just like checking with them about music for the ceremony, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

So I've my bridesmaids picked and asked (I've 3) and OH is still to ask his groomsmen but he has more close friends than I do (he's 5 people to pick from) and one person will be left out if we match the bridal party evenly unless we can figure out a special job for the extra person so he feels included too. Already thinking to ask one of his friends to perform a blessing at the ceremony (and get married at the registry office prior to the actual thing) but that still leaves one guy out... I could ask my sister to be a bridesmaid but she would only be 13 by the time the wedding rolls around and I think it would be a bit weird with the large age gap and I'm not even certain she can make it (she lives in New Zealand) and same with my OHs youngest niece, she'd only be about 15 at the time.
    Anyone have a similar predicament and have any ideas on how to include someone? Thanks is advance and sorry for the ramble :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The Americans have 'ushers'. Men whose job it is to seat guests and be on hand for any queries. Could you incorporate that? Or ask people to do readings. I've just asked a friend who's not in the bridal party to do a reading, and she is super happy with being included that way.

Callanutd wrote: »
    Guys, this only popped into our heads this morning but we are getting married on the 18th of March. Right in the middle of lent.
    Are we allowed to have flowers in the church during lent?

My sis got married last year during lent. Someone said we couldnt have flowers in the church but the priest said it was no problem so check with the Parish office.

Mm It depends really is it just because he has 5 good friends that he wants to ask and that's the reason for including more groomsmen.. Some men actually don't mind being left out so I wouldn't worry too much about them...

Or if ye really did as Faith said maybe have the two other chaps act as ushers or someone to greet the guest and lead them in the right direction be the "go to" man for all... Have the other then maybe overseeing things like handing out the readings or what do you call them the ceremony speál... You can have someone there to look after the music if you are having music.

I wouldn't worry too much about lets say having enough girls to match the men, like you say if there are young kids there and old groomsmen unless they are related in someway it can look off, mind again tis up to you. The groomsmen don't walk down the aisle all the time nine times out of ten they are at the top of the church when the bridal party comes in tis only for after, and sure just have them walk back singly after the couple go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

I'm having two bridesmaids and two junior bridesmaids (my two nieces) who will be twelve and the other half is having four groomsmen so after the ceremony two of the lads will walk with my nieces back down the aisle I don't think anyone will notice if you wanted to have a younger person in your wedding party. Have as many as you and your partner are happy with if its just a case of being involved i'd say ask them to do readings.

Advertisement