Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It's not really me, more the OH. Hes involved in the music industry with a lot of friends and was telling me of an alternative international band that was booked in Dublin for 1200. Hes reluctant to spend more on someone for a wedding. I really like Rubix though and they are playing a gig very local at the end of the month so I'll drag him along!

I used to be involved in promoting gigs as well. Its a totally different ballgame. If he can use his contacts, he should. I did but am still paying around that level with the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It's not really me, more the OH. Hes involved in the music industry with a lot of friends and was telling me of an alternative international band that was booked in Dublin for 1200. Hes reluctant to spend more on someone for a wedding. I really like Rubix though and they are playing a gig very local at the end of the month so I'll drag him along!

Trust me they are worth going to see. I didn't think much of them by their website promo but because they were local we went along. They were class. Really good singers and people of all ages up dancing in the pub so I thought that was a good sign too.
    Plus the 90's medley really sold it for us. It was class! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

June 2016 here! was not bothered about wedding at ALL but kind of excited now. Been v easy to organize. Have humanist, ceremony, reception venue sorted. Dress not too pushed about, will prob get online and have a good seamstress who will fit me into it! Just need a band. Don't want to spend more than 2k on band and DJ but hopefully will find one. Absolutely not doing crazy bridesmaids dresses (ASOS here I come), stationery, favors, candy carts, photographers etc. Brother will do photos and brother in law will do cake. Wedding bands will most defo be Argos.

All in Dublin City and not one person will have to pay for transport or accommodation bar taxi home. A few from UK who have family to crash with.

I say all this after being at a wedding for 200 where I heard the bride greet people on the way out of the church (AFTER being married) saying 'lovely to meet you'. We had to travel 5 hours and pay a fortune to stay there. The whole thing cost a fortune (for us AND her poor Da), everything was pristine and Pinteresty and it was honestly one of the most boring weddings ever.
    None of that at our wedding!

It's a bit like organizing a surprise party without the trepidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

andreac wrote: »
    Trust me they are worth going to see. I didn't think much of them by their website promo but because they were local we went along. They were class. Really good singers and people of all ages up dancing in the pub so I thought that was a good sign too.
    Plus the 90's medley really sold it for us. It was class! !

I played the promo video for my mum and sister (bridesmaid) and they were both swooning :pac: Both are very musical and good vocalists and I am tone deaf so I just wanted to be sure. But they loved them and we've all been working on my OH from the rafters. I pointed out that I am buying a second hand dress, making my own invitations and crocheting my own bouquets so the least he could do is let me have a nice band :p

I played the promo video for my mum and sister (bridesmaid) and they were both swooning :pac: Both are very musical and good vocalists and I am tone deaf so I just wanted to be sure. But they loved them and we've all been working on my OH from the rafters. I pointed out that I am buying a second hand dress, making my own invitations and crocheting my own bouquets so the least he could do is let me have a nice band :p

Deffo, well if you think they are good on the video, wait until you hear them live!!

I would def spend money on a band, within reason of course. I got about ten or twelve quotes from bands, all ranging from say 1500 up to 3600!! The Rubix were one of the cheapest and i thought they might not be as good as the other ones for that reason, but i was wrong. We viewed 3 bands and they were by far the best, and yes, quite swoon too ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Deffo, well if you think they are good on the video, wait until you hear them live!!

I would def spend money on a band, within reason of course. I got about ten or twelve quotes from bands, all ranging from say 1500 up to 3600!! The Rubix were one of the cheapest and i thought they might not be as good as the other ones for that reason, but i was wrong. We viewed 3 bands and they were by far the best, and yes, quite swoon too ha ha.

I made two stipulations, I want guests to be well-fed and entertained. Not really much point in having a reception if guests are going to be bored or hungry! After that I'm not hugely bothered :pac:
    He agreed to come and see them play and I told him he was under no obligation and if we weren't happy we could just leave the gig like everyone else - not like it's a private show!
    If you don't mind me asking, how much of a deposit did they look for?

I made two stipulations, I want guests to be well-fed and entertained. Not really much point in having a reception if guests are going to be bored or hungry! After that I'm not hugely bothered :pac:
    He agreed to come and see them play and I told him he was under no obligation and if we weren't happy we could just leave the gig like everyone else - not like it's a private show!
    If you don't mind me asking, how much of a deposit did they look for?

I had to give €300.

Yeah everyone has said to me, make sure you spend money on the food and the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Hey everyone,

Looks like all the planning is well underway. 10 months to go here & have all the major things sorted (I hope!). Venue, humanist, photographer, singer for ceremony, DJ for afters and my dress, all done. Also made our appt with hse for notification of intention for November, just need to get his birth certificate stamped as he was born in UK.

I've researched all the other bits & bobs but not really much to be done for the next few months so taking a much needed break from Wedding planning for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Well that's photographers deposit paid now too. Not sure i have anything else that needs to be planned for a while. Thankfully because all these deposits have me skint now lol

Well, i think i may have found my dress!! Had my first appt on saturday and it was the very first dress i tried on!! Surely it cant be that easy??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

Well, i think i may have found my dress!! Had my first appt on saturday and it was the very first dress i tried on!! Surely it cant be that easy??

Mine was the very first dress I tried on! It can happen :) I tried on a load of dresses in that shop after the first one just to be sure but they just weren't right so I bought the first one that day, my first day of looking! I just knew I'd keep thinking about it.

I think if you know you know so go for it:)

Abrean wrote: »
    Mine was the very first dress I tried on! It can happen :) I tried on a load of dresses in that shop after the first one just to be sure but they just weren't right so I bought the first one that day, my first day of looking! I just knew I'd keep thinking about it.

I think if you know you know so go for it:)

Yeah i cant believe it. Im going to try on a few more with my other bridesmaids in a couple of weeks, so will just try on a few others and see how i feel.

But it really did feel like the one and my mam and 2 of my bridesmaids were there and they thought it was amazing too!!

Yeah i cant believe it. Im going to try on a few more with my other bridesmaids in a couple of weeks, so will just try on a few others and see how i feel.

But it really did feel like the one and my mam and 2 of my bridesmaids were there and they thought it was amazing too!!

Happened to me too! Went to a sample sale a few weeks ago not expecting to find anything, tried on the first one, loved it, tried on around 10 or so other ones but when I tried the first one on again everyone loved it so its in my bridesmaids house now until I need to get the alterations done next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Haven't been on in ages! Congrats on the big purchase Andreac, I got mine the 1st day I looked too, was only going for a look;) was afraid Id go off it but tried it on again recently (got it in sample sale but shop are storing for me) & love it, does need a lot of alternations though!

Booked our videographer today, Cathal Farrelly, love his work! Bit more than I wanted to spend but he seems to be cheaper than a lot for cinematic style.

Next thing we really need is the band, tried Rubix but they are booked for our date:( any other recommendations around that price level? Have gone way over budget on photo & video so can't go crazy here!

Thinking of getting a fancy executive mini bus instead of a wedding car, that way he lads can be collected, then the girls & we'll all fit in afterwards, what do you's think? Working out at 325 for a 19seater (though there's only 9in the bridal party) for 4hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Hi all, Just looking for feedback to see if what's going on with my venue is the norm. We were about to sign contract and pay deposit, but they have now said that prices are subject to increase. So the package we are signing a contract for could become however much more expensive they want next year. I assumed that once a package was agreed and contract signed that would have to be honoured, and not that it could increase however much they want it to? Is this normal for a venue? Thanks guys, head wrecked by them at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Hi all, Just looking for feedback to see if what's going on with my venue is the norm. We were about to sign contract and pay deposit, but they have now said that prices are subject to increase. So the package we are signing a contract for could become however much more expensive they want next year. I assumed that once a package was agreed and contract signed that would have to be honoured, and not that it could increase however much they want it to? Is this normal for a venue? Thanks guys, head wrecked by them at this stage

Yes the norm you pay for contract price. That's why its a contract

Yes the norm you pay for contract price. That's why its a contract

That's what I thought. This venue are driving me mad we're about to walk altogether

That's what I thought. This venue are driving me mad we're about to walk altogether

In the contract we have it sets out the price per person and the details of our package. Then in the T&Cs it says may be subject to change due to to increase in tax rate, intro of govt levy. Apart from that there's nothing to say the price can be increased by the venue.

If you don't mind me asking, is this still the venue you were having problems with a few weeks ago? They sound like a nightmare if so. Sorry to hear you're having all this hassle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would just walk away. No venue is special enough to cause you this much hassle. Imagine how bad it will be in the manic weeks before the wedding, if this is what they're like now.

Thanks everyone for the reply, I thought that maybe it was normal in a wedding contract, but from what I see it's like signing a blank cheque. It's the same venue shybride, they've been horrible to deal with so we're moving on now. They could easily add 5 grand onto our bill, it's not worth it, even though it looked beautiful!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the reply, I thought that maybe it was normal in a wedding contract, but from what I see it's like signing a blank cheque. It's the same venue shybride, they've been horrible to deal with so we're moving on now. They could easily add 5 grand onto our bill, it's not worth it, even though it looked beautiful!

That's dreadful carry on on their part lovelystuff. I know it's hard when you have your heart set on somewhere but seriously not worth
    The heartache and you haven't even signed anything yet?! They should be doing everything they can to get your business, not stressing you out.

The nosy part of me would love to know what venue it is as I've a few friends looking for venues at the moment & would obviously not be recommending it to them. Otherwise if you're back to the drawing board yourself I'd be happy to
    PM you my venue if you want.

Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

First dress shopping appointment this weekend, cant wait!!

Going to Fiona Todhunter as my Mam lives right beside it which is handy. Have a few other appointments booked in other places in the next few weeks too.

How did the shopping go? I was at Kleinfelds at the weekend - oh la la get me- they are so OTT it was hilarious. Great fun but I didn't say yes to the dress!

Dovies wrote: »
    How did the shopping go? I was at Kleinfelds at the weekend - oh la la get me- they are so OTT it was hilarious. Great fun but I didn't say yes to the dress!

It was amazing, think i may have found my dress!! Plus it was the first one i tried on too. Will go to a few others salons just to make my decision 100% but it looked amazing on.

It was amazing, think i may have found my dress!! Plus it was the first one i tried on too. Will go to a few others salons just to make my decision 100% but it looked amazing on.

Ooh so worth my while going then?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Oh Dovies please tell us about Kleinfelds. Was it like the TV show? what are the dresses and consultants like?

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Oh Dovies please tell us about Kleinfelds. Was it like the TV show? what are the dresses and consultants like?

Lovely. Very OTT - yayy lets give 'OH name' a cheer because without him you wouldnt be here etc etc!! They have interns in at the moment so I had 2 consultants. Each Consultant has their own little room and yes you do get the satin robe to wear!! Even hand out bottles of water! Lots of buzz around and you can hear whats going on in the other rooms.

You don't actually get to go to the dresses - they go 'shopping' for you and you try them on in the room - only when you have picked your favourite and have it on again then you go outside to the 'showroom' to a bigger mirror. Dresses are lovely - lots of false tan and makeup on them but they are just the trying on ones. And they fit!!! As in they aren't all a size 8 which I found was a problem in a lot of the shops here so I could try them all on with no problem.

Really enjoyed my appointment. They were all lovely and very kissy when you are leaving lol.

And they fit!!! As in they aren't all a size 8 which I found was a problem in a lot of the shops here so I could try them all on with no problem.

I know it's crazy how the average woman is a size 14 yet most bridal stores carry size 8-10! its the most expensive dress i'll ever buy and im expected to know how it will look by squeezing into a dress thats 3 sizes too small.

Have to say i bought from Lilac rose in Limerick and all her dresses were size 14ish, I even had to have them clamped. Such a nicer experience.

Sounds like Kleinfelds is a fab experience alright the real fun part of wedding planning!

Sounds like Kleinfelds is a fab experience alright the real fun part of wedding planning!

It was. Had no intentions of buying anything but as we were in NY my OH decided I had to go and try anyway as I make him watch the programme all the time lol

It was. Had no intentions of buying anything but as we were in NY my OH decided I had to go and try anyway as I make him watch the programme all the time lol

Was he part of your entourage:D

• Advertisement

Was he part of your entourage:D

lol nope it was just me - felt a bit odd going in but I wasnt the only one on my own. There were a couple of people with an entourage. One girl had 8 people with her! They say max is 4 but they did accommodate her.

Advertisement