Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal hygiene

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

And, in my experience, roll-on deodorant is FAR more effective than spray-on. I use the latter after using roll-on, just for the nice smell though, not because it serves a useful purpose.

My armpit hair tends to get caught in the roller so i find it very uncomfortable and it leaves a sticky sensation.

I usually only wash every second day unless its hot or ive been doing some strenuous work. I think excessive daily washing is bad for my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

MissNomer wrote: »
    Again, how can you not wash properly in 3 minutes? Please explain. It's plenty of time for me to turn on the shower, lather up shower gel everywhere it needs to go and rinse it off. Bear in mind this is in addition to a long shower in the evening at least 3 times a week where I wash my hair/shave my legs/exfoliate/put in leave-in conditioner etc. Aside from that though, it's simply ridiculous to think a 10 minute shower every second day is better than a daily 3 minute shower.

What makes me laugh is that people who stink never know they stink. If they did, they'd probably shower more. Almost everyone I know with bad hygiene smells. It isn't always the classic BO armpit smell (which I don't actually find that offensive). It's a noticeable vag/willy odour, or a stale urine odour, or a weird skin smell.

:eek: willy smells? Vag smells? Skin smells? Now I'm really paranoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

The willy smell off someone is the worst.
    I can't describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The willy smell off someone is the worst.
    I can't describe it.

Smells like willies.

Smells like willies.

I have never smelled a willy. But I know a willy smell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

The dick can become one of the most foul-smelling things going after 2/3 days. Plus there is the build up of "cheese" which is equally rank. Only if the guy still has his "hood up", so to speak.

But yeah, I don't know how a guy can go for more than a day without giving himself a proper wash down below. It's just vile if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,011 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's all good, but cut to 5:23 for the main point.

Armpits, asshole, crotch and teeth...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Wow, lots of people going to be hit hard by the water charges then! My house is very old, with a shower fitting on the bath taps that would break your heart due to the rubbish water pressure (cottage = not enough height for the tank). I wash every morning and sometimes evening (if the bf is staying) and rarely shower, except for a hair wash once a week. But I live in the country, so there's no dust and car fumes getting in it. I bath, about once a week. No smell off any of my family or the bf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Shrap wrote: »
    Wow, lots of people going to be hit hard by the water charges then! My house is very old, with a shower fitting on the bath taps that would break your heart due to the rubbish water pressure (cottage = not enough height for the tank). I wash every morning and sometimes evening (if the bf is staying) and rarely shower, except for a hair wash once a week. But I live in the country, so there's no dust and car fumes getting in it. I bath, about once a week. No smell off any of my family or the bf.

I think we can all afford to be clean until 2019 anyway, since the water charges will be capped until then... There'll be no extra credit for crusties in the meantime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

Yep. Maybe I have a super sense of smell but a lot of the time, I find a man's crotch quite musty smelling even if he has showered that day. If he hasn't showered in a few days, it's noticeable even without sticking your face anywhere near it. Skin also has a weird odour (not like BO) if someone hasn't showered in a few days. People sweat all the time, even in cold weather. If you're wearing several layers and walk up a hill, you're going to get quite sweaty and the idea of letting the sweat dry and then not showering for several days is revolting to me.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

teeth, armpits, crotch and arsehole

all with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but what about all this excessive showering washing away pheromones. I thought the ladies got weak knees at the smell of fresh male sweat?? Maybe they were just passing out with the stench.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's all good, but cut to 5:23 for the main point.

Armpits, asshole, crotch and teeth...

George Carlin was such a whinger. And, apparently, a smelly whinger.

Agricola wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but what about all this excessive showering washing away pheromones. I thought the ladies got weak knees at the smell of fresh male sweat?? Maybe they were just passing out with the stench.......

No. That's lynx Africa

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

Agricola wrote: »

If you have twelve or more showers per day, this might pose a threat alright...

Do folk who only shower twice a week not exercise or what's the deal there?

Maybe they walk everywhere because they are too smelly to be allowed on public transport :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

MissNomer wrote: »
    and the idea of letting the sweat dry and then not showering for several days is revolting to me.

Why is it 'revolting'? It's not faeces, it's sweat. Your own sweat.

How would you fare on a multi day outdoor excursion? You couldn't enjoy it for thinking of your revolting state.

I shower every day when I can, which is almost always. But I won't get stressed if I'm somewhere which precludes a daily shower.

Anyone showering 3 times a day, unless you're working a slaughterhouse floor or similar, needs to take a good hard think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

shower every day (sometimes two if in gym, or getting lucky or have a bath in eve) -- feel yucky if I don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'd shower every morning and would have typical hygiene all around, that said if I miss the odd shower because I slept in or for whatever reason it's not the end of the world.

I don't understand people who "can't function without a shower" or who constantly complain about the smell of sweat - how would people like these have survived a couple of hundred years ago, or in the caveman era; when bathing was more difficult and significantly less important. Humans smell, so what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

For the last 2 months I've been treating a skin condition with a cream that stinks, I put it on at night and then rinse it off in the morning.
    Before that I wouldn't have a shower absolutely every day. If I'd been to the gym then of course I would but if not it could be every 2nd morning

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sweat only becomes smelly once it comes into contact with a certain bacteria on the skin. Some people both sweat less naturally and have fewer such bacteria on their skin.

I'm confident enough that I could get by on 2-3 showers a week (including two gym visits) without becoming a walking stink-bomb, assuming I'm still allowed to 'freshen up' as I normally would.

Those showering multiple times per day are either paranoid or genuinely smelly themselves and just projecting onto others by saying it's gross not to shower as often as they do.

If someone showers twice a day or 3 times when exercising how do they survive something like a wedding going on for 10-12 hours? Or a long-haul flight with connections? It just seems like madness to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you're not exactly exercising on a long haul flight

as for an outdoor excursion, it's a bit different to when you're in close contact in confined areas with loads of other people and stinking out the place when trying to look/be professional

If someone showers twice a day or 3 times when exercising how do they survive something like a wedding going on for 10-12 hours? Or a long-haul flight with connections? It just seems like madness to me.

I believe the original "dispute" was between showering once a day and showering every second or third day.

I don't think it's a question of "survival" tbh, just what they do on a normal day. A normal day being one that does not involve a wedding or a long haul flight. I don't panic or feel like I won't survive if I am at a wedding or have to fly for 24 hours but in the normal scheme of things when I am simply going to work, then yes it's one shower a day. As for people exercising, well it makes sense as part of the whole gym experience I guess. Work out, unwind in the sauna/steam room then shower and dress. It's not a big deal. I would do the same, if I were so inclined, though I prefer to exercise by walking the dogs outdoors.

bluewolf wrote: »
    you're not exactly exercising on a long haul flight

Someone mentioned twice a day plus another if they exercised.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I believe the original "dispute" was between showering once a day and showering every second or third day.

I don't think it's a question of "survival" tbh, just what they do on a normal day. A normal day being one that does not involve a wedding or a long haul flight.
    I'm sure the "original" dispute if we go back in time far enough was once a month or once a week. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

I hate it when I am expected to work with someone stinking of sweat and cheap deodorant.

I don't know which is worse, actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

An heap of anti perspirant deodorant..

..im genuinely amazed by the amount that thinks its ok to only shower once or twice a week...at an absolute minimum it should be once a day...even at that I wouldn't be overly comfortable once a day
    How could you be comfortable in work knowing you hadnt showered??

And a shower before bed is like brilliant...you get some nights sleep after it

• Advertisement

Sweat only becomes smelly once it comes into contact with a certain bacteria on the skin. Some people both sweat less naturally and have fewer such bacteria on their skin.

I'm confident enough that I could get by on 2-3 showers a week (including two gym visits) without becoming a walking stink-bomb, assuming I'm still allowed to 'freshen up' as I normally would.

Those showering multiple times per day are either paranoid or genuinely smelly themselves and just projecting onto others by saying it's gross not to shower as often as they do.

What do you mean by freshen up?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement