Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal hygiene

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Every morning, and in evenings when I'm after a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

I shower before I take a shower, and I find that I simply need a shower after a shower.
    I do this 3 times a day, and once at night.

Anyone who doesn't do this is a mank bag.

This is another topic that I can't undertstand. Why on earth people think they need wash things after wearing them once, like you much be washing clothes everyday. Fair enough socks and underwear (though socks are really the only thing that need to be changed everyday) but t-shirts, shirts, boxers should be worn for two days and jeans or trousers are good for a week or more, jumpers for weeks.

If someone needs a shower (because apparently 4 hours is enough time for them to get manky) then how can their underwear not require washing as well? It's going to absorb far more than whatever can gather in the various gaps in the body. It's then going to have all that in it for more than a day. I really can't understand how someone can feel manky if they go most of a day without a shower but be fine with putting on the clothes they just felt so manky in straight after a shower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

every 3 days is manky. esp if you're wearing the same stinky clothes.

I have quick showers myself, only a few mins. plenty of time to rinse lather rinse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hmm, some responders are quite judgmental!
    In the interests of fairness and objective scientific knowledge, I propose a Blind Sniff Test

First sniff, - or at least, stand one foot away from victim and attempt to notice the atmosphere around them - and then ask how often shower/wash/change undies?

I bet there would be some surprises!

Humans aren't really so offensive that they are horrid after one day; but sweat and various effluvia do accumulate when clothing is worn. [which it usually is, in this climate] -

Whereas human mouths with modern diet really do get scummy very fast - you can see it...*shudder* so tooth-brushing is far more important than laundry of outer garments in my opinion

• Advertisement

katemarch wrote: »
    Humans aren't really so offensive that they are horrid after one day; but sweat and various effluvia do accumulate when clothing is worn. [which it usually is, in this climate] -

Some are, some aren't. :P I remember a lad in school who'd be fine in the morning but if he played football at lunchtime he didn't smell of sweat, it was instant, offensive BO. Very few people are like that but many seem to worry they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I've hard a tough week but this thread is making me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Fellas do you clean your foreskin everyday to prevent cheese?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

In the interests of fairness and objective scientific knowledge, I propose a Blind Sniff Test

First sniff, - or at least, stand one foot away from victim and attempt to notice the atmosphere around them - and then ask how often shower/wash/change undies?

Whereas human mouths with modern diet really do get scummy very fast - you can see it...*shudder* so tooth-brushing is far more important than laundry of outer garments in my opinion

This is my new favourite word.

There is nothing worse than needing to take a dump just after showering in the morning and then having to go shower again afterwards. Cnutish. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I remember when I was younger after doing swimming classes I used to love to have long showers, as I felt absolutel freezing after getting out of the pool.

Wish I had a power shower, try to shower once a day, but sometimes when I'm lazy I'll not have a shower till the next.

However people who wash their hair excessively should reconsider, I read an article recommending that shampooing your hair was only neccesary once a week. For the other days, only wash your hair with water and some conditioner, perhaps even condition it every second day. Shampooig excessively removes the natural oils in our hair and can be detrimental to good hair health in the medium to long term.
    We should cut back on the amount of chemicals we use on our body and look towards more natural substances. I try to use soap with no chemicals rather than shower gels which are full of them and not great for the skin.

Similarly, I have started using coconut oil as a skin moisturizer rather than your general skin cream, once again trying to use natural substances. Great thing about coconut oil is that it smells nice as well. Has been said to be also beneficial for hair as well, even your teeth for whitening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Agreed. And yeah, some responders here are very judgemental.

I just find the whole "I HAVE to shower every day or I can't go on!" thing so... precious or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

You don't have to have a shower in order to wash yourself. I would certainly wash everyday but I don't need water to be running over me while I do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Shower once every evening as I have no time in the morning and it's freezing! My hair takes ages to wash too because it's quite long so I could easily spend 10-15 mins in the shower.

Could shower twice a day in the summer if it's humid.

I wash my hair every second day, any longer and it begins to feel and look greasy. Use deoderant every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Every second day?

If you can't wash properly in 3 minutes you're doing it wrong.

Did I say every second day??? :confused:

If you think you're 100% clean after spending 180 seconds getting wet you're wrong ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

As I've mentioned already, I shower at an absolute minimum once a day. I also shave every week day, after my shower.

I put on clean clothes every day. Clean boxers, clean socks, clean t-shirt, clean shirt. I alternate my work suits every day, getting them dry-cleaned on the weekend by a brilliant dry-cleaner. The only things I might wear more than once would be hoodies, jeans or anything similar. Anything else, I wear it once and then I put it in the laundry. I do two loads of washing every weekend to clean the work clothes I've worn that week (shirts and so on).

Maybe I am a clean freak, but I just always have a paranoia or ever reeking of sweat or anything. I could never wear boxers/socks/t-shirt/shirt twice. Call me crazy or whatever, but I just couldn't do it.

As another poster mentioned, the days when I'm lazing about the house or something and I won't have much human contact, I might skip a shower. But if I'm leaving the house, I'll have a shower. I might not shave over the weekend sometimes (to let that Sonny Crockett stubble grow in a bit), but other than that I keep myself well cleaned and well groomed. Part of the job, I'll admit, but even apart from that. A shower and a shave just sets you up for the day so well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Did I say every second day??? :confused:

If you think you're 100% clean after spending 180 seconds getting wet you're wrong ........

Takes me longer than that to get wet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Takes me longer than that to get wet :)

:D:D:D

I shower before I take a shower, and I find that I simply need a shower after a shower.
    I do this 3 times a day, and once at night.

Anyone who doesn't do this is a mank bag.

Is this you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Generally I shower every day but may not bother if not leaving the house. I only wash my hair twice a week though. I can shower in 3 minutes but it's the after shower drying that I find takes ages in this humid country. I will never understand how people claim to be up, showered, dressed and out the door (possibly including make-up) in 10-15 minutes. I couldn't imagine not changing underwear and socks daily though.

I used to believe that not showering daily would be disgusting, however living with people who only showered 3-4 times a week proved that wrong. They were perfectly clean and there was no problem. I think it's a personal choice and I certainly wish I could go a couple of days without because I think it would be so much better for my skin as daily showering is definitely not good for my psoriasis and eczema.

Generally I shower every day but may not bother if not leaving the house. I only wash my hair twice a week though. I can shower in 3 minutes but it's the after shower drying that I find takes ages in this humid country. I will never understand how people claim to be up, showered, dressed and out the door (possibly including make-up) in 10-15 minutes. I couldn't imagine not changing underwear and socks daily though.

I used to believe that not showering daily would be disgusting, however living with people who only showered 3-4 times a week proved that wrong. They were perfectly clean and there was no problem. I think it's a personal choice and I certainly wish I could go a couple of days without because I think it would be so much better for my skin as daily showering is definitely not good for my psoriasis and eczema.

Is your username after the suites? That would be funny cause, you know...bathroom suites :):o Ok maybe not.... :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I'm paranoid about smelling so I shower every second day and wash the other days. Always put on clean socks, underwear and tshirts every day and I'm very liberal with the deodorant :P. I only wash my hair at most twice a week though - I used to wash it every second day but it left my hair in bad condition because it strip it of its natural oils and also I dye it. Of course its washed if I have places to go but if I'm just at home I'll leave it. Its made my hair so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone that needs to shower twice or three times a day is probably just a smelly sweaty bastard regardless

I shower daily because it wakens me up in the mornings, not because I'm afraid of stinking the place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

We should cut back on the amount of chemicals we use on our body and look towards more natural substances. I try to use soap with no chemicals rather than shower gels which are full of them and not great for the skin.

You know the main ingredient in soap is sodium hydroxide (also known as caustic soda) right? Aside from it very much being a chemical it's also not great for the skin as it's quite drying. It's why a lot of those "harmful" shower gels you refer to will advertise that they are soap free.

I always find threads like this hillarious. Everyone who washes less than I do is subhuman scum and everyone who washes more is clearly excessive and has OCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is your username after the suites? That would be funny cause, you know...bathroom suites :):o Ok maybe not.... :(:(

No. The painting, but the misspelling/mispronunciation is just an old joke with a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

You know the main ingredient in soap is sodium hydroxide (also known as caustic soda) right? Aside from it very much being a chemical it's also not great for the skin as it's quite drying. It's why a lot of those "harmful" shower gels you refer to will advertise that they are soap free.

I always find threads like this hillarious. Everyone who washes less than I do is subhuman scum and everyone who washes more is clearly excessive and has OCD!

Now THAT's what I call observational humour at it's best ............ funny AND true!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Showering more than once a day every day (whatever about the odd day) when you haven't done any exercise and the weather isn't warm seems a bit extreme IMO.
    But only showering every two or three days is mank, even if the person feels they don't need it.
    I could get away with skipping showering for one day the odd time (provided it's not warm and I've done no exercise - e.g. I skipped a shower Christmas Day as I had a shower the night before and it was a day of complete laziness and not going anywhere) but I still end up having an extra long shower the next day.
    Sometimes it's just to feel refreshed too, not just because you think you smell (which you more than likely don't if you shower regularly). It's a lovely feeling and takes mere minutes. I can't get up on time for a shower before work either (especially in winter) so I always shower before bed.

I'd wash tops after two days' wear. They don't start to smell at that point, but they lose their freshness. Changing underwear at least once daily is surely just a given.

And, in my experience, roll-on deodorant is FAR more effective than spray-on. I use the latter after using roll-on, just for the nice smell though, not because it serves a useful purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Those marketing boyos at Unilever would be delighted reading this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

But only showering every two or three days is mank, even if the person feels they don't need it.

It's really not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I'd rather get up close and personal with someone who washes properly ...........

Again, how can you not wash properly in 3 minutes? Please explain. It's plenty of time for me to turn on the shower, lather up shower gel everywhere it needs to go and rinse it off. Bear in mind this is in addition to a long shower in the evening at least 3 times a week where I wash my hair/shave my legs/exfoliate/put in leave-in conditioner etc. Aside from that though, it's simply ridiculous to think a 10 minute shower every second day is better than a daily 3 minute shower.
    If you Stank so much that you feel filthy without 2 showers a day then you need 2 showers a day.

If like me, you don't have a BO problem then you're good to go with 2-3 showers a week and a daily wash of the bits and pieces.

From one dinosaur to another, if your a Gowlasaurous then you probably need more than one shower a day.

What makes me laugh is that people who stink never know they stink. If they did, they'd probably shower more. Almost everyone I know with bad hygiene smells. It isn't always the classic BO armpit smell (which I don't actually find that offensive). It's a noticeable vag/willy odour, or a stale urine odour, or a weird skin smell.

• Advertisement

MissNomer wrote: »
    Again, how can you not wash properly in 3 minutes? Please explain. It's plenty of time for me to turn on the shower, lather up shower gel everywhere it needs to go and rinse it off. Bear in mind this is in addition to a long shower in the evening at least 3 times a week where I wash my hair/shave my legs/exfoliate/put in leave-in conditioner etc. Aside from that though, it's simply ridiculous to think a 10 minute shower every second day is better than a daily 3 minute shower.

What makes me laugh is that people who stink never know they stink. If they did, they'd probably shower more. Almost everyone I know with bad hygiene smells. It isn't always the classic BO armpit smell (which I don't actually find that offensive). It's a noticeable vag/willy odour, or a stale urine odour, or a weird skin smell.

And I am still waiting to find out how they wash their "bits and peices" in less than two minutes and without showering! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement