Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal hygiene

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I'm being genuine here. Maybe if you're working outdoors cutting down trees or mixing cement it doesn't matter if you have a bang of sweat off you. However if you work indoors and are interacting with others then I would assume most people have the common sense and decency to wash themselves on a daily basis.

Some probably don't... and don't smell. So if you're working with someone who never smells and doesn't shower daily, how would you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I was speaking hypothetically but whatever.

Or are you actually saying I stink, because you've met me.. and tbh you're not exactly a poster boy for personal hygiene/grooming yourself.
    Jesus!!! That's not very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Tilly wrote: »

I would just like to point out that I have impeccable personal hygiene habits and that I smell absolutely delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Has anyone put forward an argument of why they wouldn't shower??

They last time I heard someone protest over washing themselves was my 4 year old nephew throwing a tantrum because he didn't want a bath. Bizarre behaviour for an adult I would have thought?

Okay, now I'm paranoid. Can you elaborate? My experience re smelly people has been the opposite: they have always clearly been people who rarely showered/changed their clothes. Now I'm worried that although I shower every day, that I may be one of those people!
    Obviously there was the really smelly guy in school who seemed to never wash himself or his clothes. :P
    I remember one lad from school who was fine all year around, come March/April he'd be smelling bogging in the afternoon. Meet him in the pub and he was fine (well "groomed", hair done, aftershave on) but meet him in a sweaty club and it was a very different story.
    A guy in college seemed fine to me but the girls said he stank.
    A friend of mine is rather unfortunate when it comes to his feet, has to change his socks a few times a day and you don't want to be there when he takes his shoes off after work. :P He's a clean freak when it comes to his hands and that but a shower for him takes ages due to a skin issue. While working facing the public and on his feet all day he could get away with a shower on Monday morning and Wednesday evening just by changing his shirt each day.

People are all different, while no-one likes to smell of sweat it's not something that can always be controlled. BO is less predictable between different people and just because one person starts smelling after a few hours doesn't mean everyone will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Once you wash all over with a wash cloth it would be ok I would imagine
    At what point does it get easier to shower though....just me personally would rather the shower than a cloth...

At the point your shower doesn't break your heart by being a lukewarm trickle in a house with solid fuel central heating. ie. the bathroom is freezing in the mornings so minimal stripping off is the only way to go. Strip off tops, wash top half, put tops back on. Strip off bottoms, do similar. Stick feet under hot tap for a scrub.
    As for wash cloths...I'd like to know the detail of how people use them, I don't see how it's possible to get anywhere near as clean using one, compared to a shower.

Well....goodness. The same way they were used for ever?! Thoroughly lather area to be washed with soap (unless not using soap on sensitive skin parts). Rinse repeatedly with wet wash cloth. Nobody has to be germ free, just un-smelly. Being germ free is dangerous for your health and too much washing (particularly of hair) strips your hair of the natural oils and increases the need for washing it as it gets oily more quickly.

Many of us consider daily showering unnecessary. Every other day does me.

Can you explain how you would ascertain if a non-smelly colleague hadn't showered before work?

Why don't you shower 5 times a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Some amount of dirt birds in here.

And that rich, coming from a pig. State of yis.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Neither was Frada's yet you still 'thanked' it

I merely responded in kind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Some probably don't... and don't smell. So if you're working with someone who never smells and doesn't shower daily, how would you know?

But would not be afraid people are being polite and not telling you if your starting to smell??
    (not saying you are)
    I wouldn't tell anyone...it's an awlful thing to say to someone!!

But if you get into routine of it...you'll feel uncomfortable without it....like I wouldn't dream on going to a music festival etc ...I would just feel gross and uncomfortable without at an absolute minimum of one a day...and prefer at least two a day...if I was being honest

Eh no pal that's not how it went down. You personally attacked him when you commented on his hygiene after meeting him face to face. No way can you back out of that one. You were nasty towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You went from being confident you could get by on 2-3 showers a week to lashing out when someone commented otherwise. Not so confident then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I enjoy showering...it's the drying and towelling afterwards the gives me the willies.
    If I ever become a millionaire I'll install one of them hot air drying rooms, like the one in Blade Runner.

But would not be afraid people are being polite and not telling you if your starting to smell??

At every other day, you'd want to be a very sweaty person for this to happen.

But this to me is why many people shower every day, paranoia about smelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

People often aren't great at telling whether they themselves smell or not. The smelly kid usually doesn't know their the smelly kid til people start saying it to them.

Lived with a girl briefly that insisted she only needed to wash her hair once a week (apparently doing it more than that meant it would be horrendously bad for it despite the fact everyone else's regularly cleaned hair was the picture of silky health), stank rotten 2 or 3 days of the week, couldn't smell it herself as presumably she thought that was just the background smell of the world as it was constantly around her.

Lad I went to school with commented on someone saying they showered every morning one day by saying it was overkill and you only needed to wash twice a week like he did. No one was surprised by his revelation. Well known smell bag. Presumably another that had just grown accustomed to his own stench over time.

It's not like you're going to wash yourself away by popping into the shower with a reasonable amount of regularity. It's not breaking rocks in the mid day sun, it's taking a few minutes to stand under pleasant warm water and soap yourself up into a nice lather with pleasant smelling stuff. I'd rather wash a little more than I may need to than become one of the oblivious stinkies that people are too polite to comment on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Shrap wrote: »
    At the point your shower doesn't break your heart by being a lukewarm trickle in a house with solid fuel central heating. ie. the bathroom is freezing in the mornings so minimal stripping off is the only way to go. Strip off tops, wash top half, put tops back on. Strip off bottoms, do similar. Stick feet under hot tap for a scrub.

As someone who grew up in a house with solid fuel heating and single glazed window I know all about freezing bathroom....I have to be up before six most mornings to turn on immersion

*we do have a power shower and water regularly runs out before im finished so I usually end up finishing me shower with bitter cold water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

strobe wrote: »
    People often aren't great at telling whether they themselves smell or not. The smelly kid usually doesn't know their the smelly kid til people start saying it to them.

Lived with a girl briefly that insisted she only needed to wash her hair once a week (apparently doing it more than that meant it would be horrendously bad for it despite the fact everyone else's regularly cleaned hair was the picture of silky health), stank rotten 2 or 3 days of the week, couldn't smell it herself as presumably she thought that was just the background smell of the world as it was constantly around her.

Lad I went to school with commented on someone saying they showered every morning one day by saying it was overkill and you only needed to wash twice a week like he did. No one was surprised by his revelation. Well known smell bag. Presumably another that had just grown accustomed to his own stench over time.

It's not like you're going to wash yourself away by popping into the shower with a reasonable amount of regularity. It's not breaking rocks in the mid day sun, it's taking a few minutes to stand under pleasant warm water and soap yourself up into a nice lather with pleasant smelling stuff. I'd rather wash a little more than I may need to than become one of the obliviously stinkies that people are too polite to comment on.

Pretty much nail on the head here. I think though some people do know they smell, because they talk about a spray of lynx being enough, so they're trying to cover something up.

Eh no pal that's not how it went down. You personally attacked him when you commented on his hygiene after meeting him face to face. No way can you back out of that one. You were nasty towards him.

He commented on me having met me face to face! Just because he didn't mention in the post that he met me doesn't change that fact.

He said 'you stink', not 'you would stink'. That's as personal as what I said when it comes from someone who has met you!

Anyway.. I can't unsay it now but accept that I shouldn't have said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Tarzana2 wrote: »

The smell is BO, which is a particular kind of smell. If you wash regularly (and properly) you won't have this smell. Having this smell is a sign that you're not washing off all that (natural) sweat that you produced yesterday.

I know there are people that just don't smell (or at least, I've heard it mentioned numerous times on this thread, so will take people on their word. I've also heard it said by and about people in real life, and it's never actually true) but I would think it's very rare. It's natural to sweat, even when not doing strenuous exercise. Walking in cold weather with layers can bring on a sweat in some people. In my experience, this is fine, as long as I wash myself once a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

MissNomer wrote: »

You're being silly now - Not washing it off for 3-4 days is just disgusting.

Like I said, I shower every day. To my mind its you that's being silly. You've twice said sweat is revolting / disgusting. It's a simple byproduct of living. I find it weird how freaked out people are by their own bodies.

Our society has been manipulated to the point of paranoia by marketing companies.

I've a pretty keen sense of smell, work in close proximity to many people every day. I'm pretty sure on the law of averages a fair few don't shower every single day, but it's a rare thing that in my daily interactions, someone smells.

In my experience people who drink alcohol regularly or to excess, and smokers, need to wash more often. I'm sure diet contributes as well. And lack of exercise.

He commented on me having met me face to face! Just because he didn't mention in the post that he met me doesn't change that fact.

He said 'you stink', not 'you would stink'. That's as personal as what I said when it comes from someone who has met you!

Ok I see your point now. You two should probably stick each other on ignore if you dislike each other so much?

Was it a first date gone bad type of thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Was it a first date gone bad type of thing?
    Strong smell of rejection off those two posters. The dream of love died, when one of these guys refused to wash behind his balls.

Let's not get bogged down with who's smellier than who, eh? Bit juvenile. Apologies, URL. Of course, I did mean "you would stink."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I'm about to hop into the shower right now. I got a ton of lovely posh scrubs and toiletries for Christmas so I'm going to stand under the spray and scrub myself raw with my new exfoliating mitts. I shower every second day so I'm by no means a muck savage. I like feeling clean and smelling of oranges. Only thing better than a nice hot shower is getting into clean pyjamas and fresh bed linen afterwards.
    AWW YIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than the guy in work that smells like BO and makes everyone uncomfortable.

You are that guy.

People sweat differently, some smell much less bad than others when they miss a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I prefer the cat method, lick my hands and rub them all over me.

Spit fresh :pac:

Let's not get bogged down with who's smellier than who, eh? Bit juvenile. Apologies, URL. Of course, I did mean "you would stink."

I'm sorry too. I can't really even remember what you looked or smelled like that night with the amount of shots and cocktails that were drank.

I'm sorry too. I can't really even remember what you looked or smelled like that night with the amount of shots and cocktails that were drank.

I smelled great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Get a room you two :P

Shower twice a day, first thing in the morn and in the evening (usually after 5 a side)

Wouldn't even go into work if I couldn't shower in the morn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement