Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal hygiene

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I think we can all afford to be clean until 2019 anyway, since the water charges will be capped until then... There'll be no extra credit for crusties in the meantime.

Not a crusty. I wash every day.
    Do folk who only shower twice a week not exercise or what's the deal there?

Again, what's so hard to understand? A wash every day makes you a clean, non-smelly person. Nobody has to shower that much if they know how to use a wash cloth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Shrap wrote: »

Again, what's so hard to understand? A wash every day makes you a clean, non-smelly person. Nobody has to shower that much if they know how to use a wash cloth.

I didn't say you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I didn't say you were.

Sigh.

Sigh.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

Why is it 'revolting'? It's not faeces, it's sweat. Your own sweat.

How would you fare on a multi day outdoor excursion? You couldn't enjoy it for thinking of your revolting state.

I shower every day when I can, which is almost always. But I won't get stressed if I'm somewhere which precludes a daily shower.

Anyone showering 3 times a day, unless you're working a slaughterhouse floor or similar, needs to take a good hard think.

Because it smells and other people have to smell it.

You're being silly now - obviously on a multi-day excursion or a festival, you're not in your daily routine and it doesn't matter as much if you whiff a bit (although I'd still bring baby wipes). I don't get stressed if I'm somewhere I can't shower (long haul flight etc.), the point is we're talking about normal daily routines. If I shower on Sunday night, then go to work on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday without showering, that is simply rank. I wear several layers, I walk up quite a steep hill every day, I might need to run for a bus or train. That all creates sweat. Not washing it off for 3-4 days is just disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What do you mean by freshen up?

A quick splash of water underarms etc at the sink. Like you might do if you were on a long road trip or a long-haul flight.

Everyone is made up differently at the end of the day, some will stink the place up regardless of them showering twice daily and others could go for a few days without showering and you wouldn't be able to tell.

Having an argument or debate about the subject is kinda pointless when it's such a subjective thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Once you wash all over with a wash cloth it would be ok I would imagine
    At what point does it get easier to shower though....just me personally would rather the shower than a cloth...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I was in Kildare one time and this knacker asked me "Am I anywhere near Clane?"

I replied "Not if you scrubbed yourself for a month, you filthy bastard, now fcuk off!" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm confident enough that I could get by on 2-3 showers a week (including two gym visits) without becoming a walking stink-bomb, assuming I'm still allowed to 'freshen up' as I normally would.

Jesus christ. Take off the sunglasses of delusion, pal, you stink! :eek:

A quick splash of water underarms etc at the sink. Like you might do if you were on a long road trip or a long-haul flight.

Everyone is made up differently at the end of the day, some will stink the place up regardless of them showering twice daily and others could go for a few days without showering and you wouldn't be able to tell.

Having an argument or debate about the subject is kinda pointless when it's such a subjective thing.

Perhaps, though you only need to use public transport for a short while to realise that a lot of people are not getting it right...whether they are the poor putrid f.uckers showering three times a day and still can't get clean or those ethereal poreless fairies who smell like roses all the time :) Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Sure only dirty people wash themselves.... Don't know what that says about the 3 times before breakfast brigade..

Having said that, I'd shower if I had been to the gym.
    (Note that I said IF - like that's going to happen anytime soon !! :P )

Schwiiing wrote: »
    This is my new favourite word.

There is nothing worse than needing to take a dump just after showering in the morning and then having to go shower again afterwards. Cnutish. :mad:

Dump in the shower...arse cleaned, water saved, sorted. :D

Once you wash all over with a wash cloth it would be ok I would imagine
    At what point does it get easier to shower though....just me personally would rather the shower than a cloth...

That was my point. By the time you stand at the sink and wash all your bits and bobs and (presumably, hopefully) wash the cloth and rub a bit of soap onto it etc...wouldn't it be easier to strip off and run under the shower a few times :P

Note to self...never use a facecloth on one's face again....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

About 3 showers a week , wash hair once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

There's a point here....there aren't too many people walking around thinking that they stink, yet there are lots of people walking around that stink. If you had to guess where the gap was, you'd have to start with people that don't shower every day, and pay particular attention to people who go to gym a few times a week and still only shower 2/3 times a week.

As for wash cloths...I'd like to know the detail of how people use them, I don't see how it's possible to get anywhere near as clean using one, compared to a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I would geniunely bring the matter up with the HR department if people were arriving to work unshowered. I can't even understand why someone wouldn't shower at a minimum once a day.

Personally I would shower at least twice a day. I'll normally have a steam-shower at home around 7am after my morning run. I always find that my pores are open and I can exfoliate fully.

I'll also have one that evening if its one of my gym days, or else if its a rest day then I will shower or have a lavender scented bath before bed that evening.

People saying they only wash themselves 2 or 3 times a week are revolting in my opinion. They couldn't possibly be hygienic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Depends - if it's a gym day , twice. Otherwise....it's once a day in the mornings.
    The thing is though, I can't leave the house without showering. I think it's as much about respect for yourself as respect for other people. I can't think of the last time I skipped a shower.

When I lived in Spain - in the summer I showered 3 or 4 times a day, especially in Madrid. In the summer (july->august and a bit of september) it would get up to 45c in the direct sun, and the hottest part of the day (5pm) was usually when I'd be leaving the office and getting onto the metro , so was a wreck by the time I got home. A 5 minute shower then and another one before bed would keep you a lot cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was speaking hypothetically but whatever.

Or are you actually saying I stink, because you've met me.. and tbh you're not exactly a poster boy for personal hygiene/grooming yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I would geniunely bring the matter up with the HR department if people were arriving to work unshowered. I can't even understand why someone wouldn't shower at a minimum once a day.

I was a manager of team once in Barcelona - an english woman would often arrive stinking - at 9am.

In one day alone, I had 3 desk move requests - in the end I had to get my own manager to talk to her about it. She got the message when one of the catalans left a bottle of antiperspirant on her desk that afternoon.

She quit 2 weeks later, and we had to get a new chair for her desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

If I have a bald head then every second day. But with hair its everyday. Fcuking stuff gets greasy too easy :(

Every second day is usually grand. But if I have not showered it usually means I'm not doing anything and just lounging around the house with the odd trip to the shops.

The majority of people I know who ever smelled bad had decent personal hygiene habits, it was their physiology that made the difference. They could come in early and be fine, any kind of sweating and they stank instantly. I've been through some shameful periods hygiene-wise (way beyond anything anyone would admit here :P ) and no-one mentioned anything, the only times it's come up is smelly runners (thrown out very soon after) and when I ran out of clean tshirts when I was away for a few days. Funny enough even that time I had just had a shower and had to put on a worn tshirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Or are you actually saying I stink, because you've met me.. and tbh you're not exactly a poster boy for personal hygiene/grooming yourself.

No need to air any dirty laundry in public! :p

Personally speaking, I don't think anyone is going to change the hygiene habits of a lifetime off the back of a discussion about same on the Internet.

Have you ever brought it up? Do you think that everyone you work with showers every morning without fail even after reading this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Bizarre personal attack there. :confused: No need to lash out, hombre, this poster just calls 'em as he sees 'em. :eek:

Have you ever brought it up? Do you think that everyone you work with showers every morning without fail even after reading this thread?

I'm not sure where most of the people here are working, but I work in a highly professional place of work. People wouldn't dream of showing up unless they are smartly dressed, well-groomed and clean and if they did they'd be shown the door very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Do you notice when other people smell? I'm genuinely curious, btw. Any of the people that I have worked with who stank are people that I assume simply can't smell it. One, however, would just spray lynx on top of it. Not sure what was worse.

The smell isn't just sweat. You can smell sweat when someone is running by you on the street, and while noticeable, isn't a particularly rank odour. What stinks is that sweat being left for a day or more. That's when it starts getting really, really uncomfortable.

I'm not sure where most of the people here are working, but I work in a highly professional place of work. People wouldn't dream of showing up not smartly dressed, well-groomed and clean and if they did they'd be shown the door very quickly.
    Course yeah, AH is the great unwashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

or those ethereal poreless fairies who smell like roses all the time :)

Nobody thinks they're this. But people do vary in how much they sweat. All those non-smelly people you know - how do you know they shower every day?

Course yeah, AH is the great unwashed.

I'm being genuine here. Maybe if you're working outdoors cutting down trees or mixing cement it doesn't matter if you have a bang of sweat off you. However if you work indoors and are interacting with others then I would assume most people have the common sense and decency to wash themselves on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

The majority of people I know who ever smelled bad had decent personal hygiene habits, it was their physiology that made the difference. They could come in early and be fine, any kind of sweating and they stank instantly. I've been through some shameful periods hygiene-wise (way beyond anything anyone would admit here :P ) and no-one mentioned anything, the only times it's come up is smelly runners (thrown out very soon after) and when I ran out of clean tshirts when I was away for a few days. Funny enough even that time I had just had a shower and had to put on a worn tshirt.

Okay, now I'm paranoid. Can you elaborate? My experience re smelly people has been the opposite: they have always clearly been people who rarely showered/changed their clothes. Now I'm worried that although I shower every day, that I may be one of those people!

• Advertisement

I'm being genuine here. Maybe if you're working outdoors cutting down trees or mixing cement it doesn't matter if you have a bang of sweat off you. However if you work indoors and are interacting with others then I would assume most people have the common sense and decency to wash themselves on a daily basis.
    Are we talking about sweat or BO? There's a big difference.
    People are different but if you believe that no-one can go a day without a shower without smelling offensive then you're just wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement