Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Ireland 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

bobmalooka wrote: »
    We get it. More licenses can be applied for.

You seem to think the fact that more licenses CAN be applied for automatically means that the residents have no right to object.

It doesn't work like that, the GAA wanted to build their stadium in an unsuitable location for historic reasons and the consequence of that is they aren't going to be able to host an intensive schedule of events.

The reason most venues of that size are built on purpose built sites with extensive transport links is specifically to avoid this scenario.

The argument that the residents should suck it up because they live beside a stadium is redundant.

How do you know what I think?

Where did I mention the residents objections in the promoters unlimited application for concerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

It wasn't what you said in the morning quoting end of the road, "it is only allowed to host 3 non-sporting events per year".You forgot to mention and more with a public events licence is applied for and granted.

We don't want any confusion that its just 3 and only 3 and nothing more.
    And I have happily accepted that it is as many as are licenced.
    And more once they apply for a public event licence.
    Now as you don't want any confusion, do you accept that you are wrong to say a concert can go ahead if a licence is applied for - it must also be granted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭BrokenHero

Wish certain people would quit attacking people from Dublin. It's needless. Lots of people in Dublin wanted the concerts to go ahead. Indeed, the vast majority of the residents in the end were happy to see the concerts go ahead. Read the Mulvey report.
    I notice you don't attack other artists or bands on boards. Why Garth Brooks. Why the hatred towards him? Thought you had a ticket yourself to see him.

Said it on the last thread and I'll say it again: this would not have happened had this been Bowie selling out five nights, or someone with his level of music credibility. There was without question an overall embarrassment that this was about a country and western singer who, even at the height of his career, most people would be cringing about. For maybe ten minutes line dancing was cool, and that's a big maybe.

Again, had this being an artist with creditability, then it would never have got to the embarrassing levels that it did. The media played on that aspect of things also. There was a smirk and a giggle with every news report and I am firmly convinced it was because the whole debacle took on a comedic tone based purely on the artist and music genre involved.
    Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Any other artist would have not have had a hissy fit, and would have either played the 3 granted concerts or investigated the possibility of the matinees to allow his "children" to see daddy in action.

Are you still prattling on about how the artist responded at the 11th hour?

Can't you for one second take your head out of the sand and see that there is a problem with a system that sees a council phoning a promoter three weeks before concerts are to take place, in which 400,000 people are due to attend, to tell them that they are not allowing some of them to go ahead? You think that is an acceptable system in place that would put a council official in that position?

Not just that, but an 11th hour phone call where the council official isn't even 100% sure yet if they will grant three licences or that there could yet be a chance to grant four. You think that is professional?

Keegan had phones calls with Croke Park about these concerts as far back as December and said he would "support" the applications for five further concerts and he can waffle on until the cows come home (or his road signs get put back up, whichever comes first) about just what that meant but it is quite clear that he led Croke Park and Peter Aiken to believe that he had no issue with these concerts going ahead.

Indeed, he admitted at the hearings that he would have been happy to grant five licences if Croke Park had met the concerns of the residents. Are we supposed to believe that somehow Croke Park and Peter Aiken are someone supposed to be psychic and have some kind of sixth sense and be able to surmise that Keegan was just sending them telekinetic signals that he on the basis of what they were doing on the ground he would only then be happy with approving four nights and not five??

It's farcical and I really wish people would wake up and pay attention. Keegan has admitted at the hearings that the reason he was only willing to consider four nights and not five was because then DCC would not look like "complete sell outs". Therefore, it was pure tokenism and in an effort to save face for himself and DCC he wanted to make sure to at least refuse one single night.

That infamous phone call came a mere 12 hours after it was revealed that the high court injunction had been filed by the Parnell St resident (thought at the time to be a Croke Park resident of course).

I had wondered what Bertie did with Teflon coat when he retired. Nice to see its found a home.

Seriously people: time to take your heads out of the sand and see Owen Keegan for all his glorious and wondrous levels of ineptitude.

And I have happily accepted that it is as many as are licenced.

Now as you don't want any confusion, do you accept that you are wrong to say a concert can go ahead if a licence is applied for - it must also be granted.

Yes I am. Thought it was obvious, the application is applied for to the council and then they may or may not grant the license. Just left out the second part in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

How do you know what I think?

Where did I mention the residents objections in the promoters unlimited application for concerts?

I said you SEEM to think they have no right to object based on your numerous posts trivialising their concerns.

That word SEEM indicates that I am interpreting what your posts.

Anyway would you like to respond to the point I was making?

• Advertisement

I said you SEEM to think they have no right to object based on your numerous posts trivialising their concerns.

That word SEEM indicates that I am interpreting what your posts.

Anyway would you like to respond to the point I was making?

What point were you making? The building of a GAA stadium? Or the intensive schedule of events.

2006 = 2 concerts
    2007 = nothing
    2008 = 1 concert
    2009 = 4 concerts
    2010 =1 concert
    2011 = 2 concerts
    2012= 3 concerts
    2013 = nothing

They could have had more in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013 but they didn't.

That's not intensive. Anything but.

What point were you making? The building of a GAA stadium? Or the intensive schedule of events.

2006 = 2 concerts
    2007 = nothing
    2008 = 1 concert
    2009 = 4 concerts
    2010 =1 concert
    2011 = 2 concerts
    2012= 3 concerts
    2013 = nothing

They could have had more in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013 but they didn't.

That's not intensive. Anything but.

Exactly, an inner city stadium surrounded by narrow residential streets and no proper transport links has long been established as not suitable for an intensive schedule of events.

The stats you've produced highlight my point exactly. The 5 concerts would have doubled the level of non sporting activity at the venue if compared with the venues busiest year 2009. It's location simply isn't suitable to that level of disruption.

But I understand the over intensification concerts and events bring.

Including this year, the past 9 years was 17 non sporting events and at 82000 people, that's 1,394,000 craps that has been left on door steps around Croke park. And that's not including matches.

But I understand the over intensification concerts and events bring.

Including this year, the past 9 years was 17 non sporting events and at 82000 people, that's 1,394,000 craps that has been left on door steps around Croke park. And that's not including matches.

Again through your trivialising you are displaying your complete lack of understanding or worse pretending you don't understand.

Have you ever been to events of that scale??

I'm a keen sports follower and concert goer and have been to large sporting and musical events across Europe and Croke Park is easily the least suitable location I have been to fir events that size.

It created a massive disruption to people in the vicinity of the venue, that is why most venues that size are built away from where people live.

Again through your trivialising you are displaying your complete lack of understanding or worse pretending you don't understand.

Have you ever been to events of that scale??

I'm a keen sports follower and concert goer and have been to large sporting and musical events across Europe and Croke Park is easily the least suitable location I have been to fir events that size.

It created a massive disruption to people in the vicinity of the venue, that is why most venues that size are built away from where people live.

So it shouldn't be used?

Or is it back to the argument, no issue with matches, that's what's for.

But the issue is with concerts. Its 3 concerts a year, maybe 1 more like in 2009. It doesnt happen often.

This year was a once off special event. It was a comeback concert of one of the biggest country music artists in the world. He choosed Dublin for that. That's not going to happen again.

It'll be a long time again before Croke park will get any more than 3 events per year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

There is no huge difference between 82,000 people arriving in the area for a match and 82,000 arriving for a concert.

In fact in regard to traffic at least, the 82,000 for the match are much more likely to be driving so traffic should be lighter for a concert.
    Many walking from local hotels, sharing taxis and buses, etc.

There is drinking, but much of that happens for the matches too.

There is noise, but that finishes at 22:30.

Big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I was in Dublin a few weeks ago, late at night. I was stranded with no accommodation

How did you manage this?

Lucky those concerts were cancelled. Last thing we need is a pack of lost, stranded, half cut dopes wandering around the city getting in our way as we buy our latte's and mochas on our way to work to keep the country afloat and pay their dole. :pac::pac:

Let's be honest. DCC had every intention of allowing all five concerts to go ahead. Everything we know points to that fact. Croke Park, Aiken and Brooks management would never just plough ahead if there was even a smidgen of doubt about one of the concerts going ahead. Not with everything that was at stake and all that is involved logistically with regards to the production.

This was purely a case of last moment jitters for a guy not long in the job. The threat of the injunction is what caused him to not want to look like a "complete sell out" but it was not the fear of looking like that to the residents which I feel he feared most, it was to the country and more importantly, the high court. In his own words:
    "If we had licenced four concerts we could at least have said we had listened to some extent to their concerns of the residents. If we had granted five, the view amongst residents would have been that we completely ignored their concerns and it would have been an indefensible position. We could have made some effort to defending four on the basis that it was not a complete sell out"

Dooley hit the nail on the head on the head with his apt reply showing how nonsensical Keegan's comments were:
    "So they should have gone for six in the hope of getting five then".

One other point of note is that Keegan stated many times that DCC made it clear that they had an issue with the licence application for so many nights but yet he also said in the hearings that he was more than willing to licence five nights if the concerns of the residents been met and saw no reason why Croke Park could not make that happen. To me that is a contradiction as of you are putting out the vibe that you feel the venue is meeting the residents concerns, then it is hardly surprising when they say they are shocked at being told at the 11th hour that they have not.

So it shouldn't be used?

Or is it back to the argument, no issue with matches, that's what's for.

But the issue is with concerts. Its 3 concerts a year, maybe 1 more like in 2009. It doesnt happen often.

This year was a once off special event. It was a comeback concert of one of the biggest country music artists in the world. He choosed Dublin for that. That's not going to happen again.

It'll be a long time again before Croke park will get any more than 3 events per year.

3 concerts a year seems appropriate as a concession perhaps generous to CP given it's lack of suitability however 8 concerts in a year is what you are advocating.

I understand that GB was a once off special event, for him and his fans. This doesn't make CP any more suitable for holding events of that nature.

If the GAA wanted to be capable if hosting events if this nature they should have built a more suitable venue.

The issue is the venue, compare it to Wembley in London where 90,000+ are in and out of the venue with very little disruption to locals because the venue was purpose built.

3 concerts a year seems appropriate as a concession perhaps generous to CP given it's lack of suitability however 8 concerts in a year is what you are advocating.

I understand that GB was a once off special event, for him and his fans. This doesn't make CP any more suitable for holding events of that nature.

If the GAA wanted to be capable if hosting events if this nature they should have built a more suitable venue.

The issue is the venue, compare it to Wembley in London where 90,000+ are in and out of the venue with very little disruption to locals because the venue was purpose built.

Where did I mention I was in favour of 8 concerts a year? Croke Park will never have this again, they very rarely have any more than 3.

Just because someone I wanted to see plays for the first time in 17 years and decides to choose Croke Park and 5 nights were sold, how do you think that I'm in favour of 8 concerts? I had absolutely no say in it all.

U2 and probably all their fans got all the bashing in 2009 so I'm not one bit surprised that its all Garth Brooks fault this year. Except in 2009 the residents made out that MCD were the bully boys instead of Aiken.

Where did I mention I was in favour of 8 concerts a year?

Here.
    Add five more gigs for the fun of it.

Give them something to complain about.

Then five wont seem as bad as ten and they might leave us alone.

Bunch of dry cnuts.

Classy :cool: Here's the thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057143265

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Here.

Classy :cool: Here's the thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057143265

Get over it. The first day the residents came out to the papers last January. I made a joke in after hours.

Get over it. The first day the residents came out to the papers last January. I made a joke in after hours.

Nasty comments come back to bite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭hynesie08

And the nasty comments you made since then?

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Nasty comments come back to bite you.

Get over it. It was a joke. You got your wish, no concerts. Move on to the next years concerts, I think its U2 again.

Where did I mention I was in favour of 8 concerts a year? Croke Park will never have this again, they very rarely have any more than 3.

Just because someone I wanted to see plays for the first time in 17 years and decides to choose Croke Park and 5 nights were sold, how do you think that I'm in favour of 8 concerts? I had absolutely no say in it all.

Were you not in favour of the 5 GB concerts taking place? 3 one direction concerts + 5 GB concerts = 8 concerts

Completely unsuitable amount of evening events in that venue and they residents would be crazy to allow that precedent be set unopposed.

I understand your frustration and disappointment that you didn't get to see your idol but the residents aren't to blame. They are entitled to a reasonable level of peace and quiet considering they live in a residential area of the city and therefore are entitled to oppose actions which would deny that to them.

I cant think of any other venue which imposes that level of disruption to that many people. They really should have held the concerts somewhere else.

Were you not in favour of the 5 GB concerts taking place? 3 one direction concerts + 5 GB concerts = 8 concerts

Completely unsuitable amount of evening events in that venue and they residents would be crazy to allow that precedent be set unopposed.

I understand your frustration and disappointment that you didn't get to see your idol but the residents aren't to blame. They are entitled to a reasonable level of peace and quiet considering they live in a residential area of the city and therefore are entitled to oppose actions which would deny that to them.

I cant think of any other venue which imposes that level of disruption to that many people. They really should have held the concerts somewhere else.

8 evening events in summer out of 365 days in the year. There's 358 nights of sleep left in the year. Oh my god. That's just 2014.

But considering that 5 of those didn't happen, its actually, 362 nights of sleep left.

362 nights left to sleep. It wasn't much. And last year a whole 365 nights of sleep. How do people do it?

So many begrudgers in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

8 evening evening events in summer out of 365 days in the year. There's 358 nights of sleep left in the year. Oh my god. That's just 2014.

But considering that 5 of those didn't happen, its actually, 362 nights of sleep left.

362 nights left to sleep. It wasn't much. And last year a whole 365 nights of sleep. How do people do it?

The residents arent to blame for last year's fiasco. I live on an estate road and I wouldnt have wanted a crowd of farmers with their trousers held up with bailer twine on my road 5 nights in a row either. The fault lies at the feet of Aiken Promotions and Garth Brooks for pure and unadulterated greed.

8 evening events in summer out of 365 days in the year. There's 358 nights of sleep left in the year. Oh my god. That's just 2014.

Your the one who begrudges the CP residents normal enjoyment of their homes.

People living in a residential area should not be subjected to any loss of sleep or lesser enjoyment of their homes to accommodate private enterprise ESPECIALLY when there are alternatives available to avoid this happening.

This is recognised in other countries where new stadiums are built on greenfield sites not residential streets and eventually recognised here with the decision to restrict the amount of concerts.

You never answered me before when I asked have you attended events of this scale because your trivialising of the residents rights seems to suggest you don't understand the level of disruption they cause.

Get over it

I have nothing to get over, you're the one with the problem and you're still spouting nasty stuff here online about people. It's not the residents fault, it's not Dublin's fault, it's not my fault, if you were in their position you would do the exact same. (ie; a dubstep festival outside your house for five days running restricting all access).

You need to divert your ill feelings to the organisers of the Garth Brooks gigs, the GAA and ultimately to Garth Brooks himself for his "I want it all or nothing attitude".

Your the one who begrudges the CP residents normal enjoyment of their homes.

So does Owen Keegan, evidently.

Why did he support an application for five concerts?

Why was he willing to defend allowing four concerts above the agreed three?

Surely the person that begrudged the residents the most was Keegan.

I would love to see how you would like it if thousands of people rocked up to where you lived and had concerts 5 days in a row.
    Imagine the guards blocking your road, hundreds and hundreds streaming up your road, throwing litter around and urinating in your garden.
    The noise in a Monday and Tuesday night when you/your kids are in bed trying to sleep because you have to get up early the next day.

It is a huge disruption, no matter how you feel about Garth brooks.
    The concerts in the phoenix Pk where not repeated this year because of trouble last year and residents complaints.

All they had to do was move his concerts to somewhere more suitable. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You are actually right there.
    Croke Park is a multi purpose venue, but it is only allowed to host 3 non-sporting events per year.

But I suspect you already know that.
    3 non sporting events before having to apply for an events licence

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Don't think so - they were granted a licence, but not the one they applied for.

Hence the toy throwing from Aiken, Brooks, Christy Burke and Timmy Dooley.

CP is only guaranteed 3 non-sporting events every year - that better?
    they aren't. they could have got the 5

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement