Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park residents to seek concert injuctions.....your opinions?

Options
  • 07-02-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

http://www.her.ie/entertainment/if-tomorrow-never-comes-croke-park-residents-to-seek-concert-injunctions/

I spotted the above on facebook this morning and thought it might be worth a discussion.

As Garth Brooks adds a fifth date to his run of concerts in Croke Park, it seems the residents have decided to try and stop any concerts being played there again.

I'm a little bit torn on this one myself. While I certainly do understand the inconvience caused to residents in the area I also don't like the whole not-in-my-backyward attitude that people in this country are so fond of.

Surely those residents knew what they were getting into when buying their homes?

You'd think it was the Swedish House Mafia or a group/artist of that nature who were playing five nights, not Garth Brooks. It's not like the people going to his concerts are going to be drunks and junkies hell bent on violence.

I personally feel an outright ban is a little over the top.

In all honesty if we were to start banning concerts etc from every place they weren't wanted we never have concerts played at all.

Should we ban concerts completely from Croker or would stiffer regulations be enough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

That's like saying I live in the centre of the city I knew this moving in yet I want the streets cleared of people as they annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Two grand apiece should avert their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You'd think it was the Swedish House Mafia or a group/artist of that nature who were playing five nights, not Garth Brooks.

What difference does it make who it is? The inconveniences in terms of crowds, parking etc are still the exact same.

And you can be sure that there will be plenty of oul wans acting the tit at Brooks after a few overpriced white wines.

The residents agreed to a certain number of concerts per year, the promoters have gone over that without an updated agreement, so they're entitled to complain.

The gigs will still go ahead but hopefully they get more than a few poxy free tickets for their troubles. Five nights of listening to country music deserves serious compensation IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just ban Garth Brooks is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Understand where they are coming from tbh. listening to gareth brooks five nights in a row is enough to drive most people to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

If I was penned in at home being forced to listen to 'Friends in Low Places' blaring out every night, I'd be complaining too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭baldbear

That's like saying I live in the centre of the city I knew this moving in yet I want the streets cleared of people as they annoy me.

No its not. The people around Croke Park have to put up with 8 nights of atrocious ear polluting shoite. The city centre has it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Add five more gigs for the fun of it.

Give them something to complain about.

Then five wont seem as bad as ten and they might leave us alone.

Bunch of dry cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What difference does it make who it is? The inconveniences in terms of crowds, parking etc are still the exact same.

And you can be sure that there will be plenty of oul wans acting the tit at Brooks after a few overpriced white wines.

The residents agreed to a certain number of concerts per year, the promoters have gone over that without an updated agreement, so they're entitled to complain.

The gigs will still go ahead but hopefully they get more than a few poxy free tickets for their troubles. Five nights of listening to country music deserves serious compensation IMO.

The difference is that in general the kind of crowd Brooks attracts would differ vastly from those a group like SHM would.

But to listen to some of what the residents are saying you'd think they were one and the same. And that would seem to be their biggest fear tbh.

baldbear wrote: »
    No its not. The people around Croke Park have to put up with 8 nights of atrocious ear polluting shoite. The city centre has it easy.

But surely people knew what to expect when buying their homes?

I don't know, it's a hard one to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Add five more gigs for the fun of it.

Give them something to complain about.

Then five wont seem as bad as ten and they might leave us alone.

Bunch of dry cnuts.

Cancelling him altogether would be a lot funnier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i understand where they are coming from , 5 nights in a row is a lot for the residents to cope with, many of them will be literally 'prisoners' in their own homes for 5 nights, i don't think 5 nights of concerts would be allowed by the residents near the aviva stadium , they could have had 3 concerts then a further 2/3 at a later date for the croke park residents for the garth brooks concert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Nooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The needs of the many is greater than the wants of a few.

If I was penned in at home being forced to listen to 'Friends in Low Places' blaring out every night, I'd be complaining too...

Don't forget the lengthy daily sound check too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

But surely people knew what to expect when buying their homes?

I don't know, it's a hard one to call.

most residents around croke park have probably been there before the redevelopment of the stadium so that is a non issue

the only difference between Brooks and SHM is age both sets of have equal amounts of loud idiots in my experience

If promoters went over the amount of allocated events then the residents have every right to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Psychobabble

It's not the just the concerts that residents will need to contend with; there'll be major disruption in the area for a couple of days before hand, with noise and traffic from the stage being built and likewise when it is being dismantled. I'd say they're looking about 9 days disruption in all, certainly in the immediate vicinity.
    It's not fair to say that they knew what they were signing up for when they bought in the area; the scale of this concert series is unprecedented for Croke Park and that's in addition to other agreed events.
    There's a degree of cynicism and nastiness going on in relation to 'da residents' also, not all of them will be 'bought off' with a pair of concert tickets. For many this would not make up for the disruption experienced in their lives and the lives of their families. Remember, they are real people that may be aggrieved and distressed by the impact this will have on their day-to-day lives!
    They don't want to spoil the party, but the fifth concert just seemed to be a bridge too far. There are big organisations making lots of money out of this and the rights of ordinary Irish citizens to have their concerns heard in due legal process are being discredited by many online commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

If that happened I would have to cancel my Facebook and twitter account! People are gone bloody crazy!!

I should point out I am not unsympathetic to the residents nor am I trying to be nasty or cynical.

I just think asking for an outright ban is a little extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Like the GAA care about thousands of local residents. Didn't they take legal action against some of them over that local community centre they were trying to redevelop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have no doubt that if the OP lived anywhere near Croke Park he would have instead written about how awful it was that ordinary Irish people were being locked up in their houses for a week while tens of thousands of people are herded past his front door every evening.

Fact is fact, the local residents have a very valid complaint. There was an agreement for a certain number of concerts and the promoters have exceeded that number. The promoters will be making millions while the residents will have their lives massively disrupted. They have every right to vocally complain about the situation, not least because they have to stand up for themselves at some point. What if they say nothing now and the promoters do decide to make it ten shows, are they allowed to complain then?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like I say in the other thread, Croke park has been in existence since before all of the residents were even alive.

If you don't like the disruption a stadium brings, don't live beside it.

If there was an agreement, formal or informal about the number of concerts, then it's just plain decency for the promoter to offer additional compensation for the overspill, but I see no general basis for residents to complain about the facility being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

If i was a resident and faced with the upcoming 5 Garth Brooks and 3 one Direction concerts i would sell up, i would question my mental health if i had to live through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,344 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

seamus wrote: »
    Like I say in the other thread, Croke park has been in existence since before all of the residents were even alive.

If you don't like the disruption a stadium brings, don't live beside it.

Either put up with whatever Croke park does, or move house. Those are your only options folks in the world according to seamus.

I have no doubt that if the OP lived anywhere near Croke Park he would have instead written about how awful it was that ordinary Irish people were being locked up in their houses for a week while tens of thousands of people are herded past his front door every evening.

Fact is fact, the local residents have a very valid complaint. There was an agreement for a certain number of concerts and the promoters have exceeded that number. The promoters will be making millions while the residents will have their lives massively disrupted. They have every right to vocally complain about the situation, not least because they have to stand up for themselves at some point. What if they say nothing now and the promoters do decide to make it ten shows, are they allowed to complain then?

First I am a she. Second you may well be right that my opinion would be different if I lived nearer Croke Park. However I would remind that there also 400,000 'Ordinary Irish People' who are happy to see Garth Brooks back in Ireland and they should be heard too.

And third, I never said they weren't allowed to complain, I just wonder if they are being a little extreme in demanding a blanket ban on concerts?

Again it's a tough situation but there are two sides to it and they both deserve to be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

seamus wrote: »

If you don't like the disruption a stadium brings, don't live beside it..

A bit of a dodgy precedent to say any purely commercial activity on the part of a commercial organisation that directly affects the quality of life of residents is acceptable merely because they were there first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Now they're talking of a sixth night! If I lived there I'd think about moving at this rate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you pay then Garth will play!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just ban Garth Brooks is all

Get out!

Also just give the residents a few all ireland tickets to quieten them down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

1 huge gripe that the residents around the area is that of parking. For example, a friend on mine owns a house in the area, they don't care about the noise of activity in the area. They care that gobsh*tes will freely use thier street as a car park and block them into thier parking spot.
    So in the event of any sort of an emergency where they are required to drive, they will need to wait for the concert/game to end, the post match/gig pints to wrap up, the stumble of the car owners back to thier cars the prayers they say before driving after consuming alcohol are completed before they are in a position to drive away. Oh, and those who are doing the double parking, may also have the same scenario if there is some tripple parking going on where the blocker becomes the blockee.

This may sound ludacris, but it happens at every major event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

kneemos wrote: »
    Two grand apiece should avert their eyes.

I agree, they should be paid a fee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement