Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Ireland 2015

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    You missed the part where I said "guaranteed" 3 per year. They could in theory have 800 per year if they got the licences.

I'm always happy to admit I was wrong or to give clarification.

It mattered this year. Any other artist would have not have had a hissy fit, and would have either played the 3 granted concerts or investigated the possibility of the matinees to allow his "children" to see daddy in action.

I'm actually delighted to have bought 1D tickets, in a small way they prevented that arrogant hillbilly liar from being allowed to ride roughshod over our planning laws and bringing us back to the corruption of the 90s.

Thank God he ain't coming back
    he didn't ride roughshod over our planning laws. he abided by them by applying for the licences as required

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Right.
    How many concerts are CP allowed to hold next year? Answer = 3.

How many could they hold next year? Answer = 800

How many are they guaranteed? Answer = 3.

The residents have no recourse to objections for the first three concerts in a given year.

I don't know what point you are trying to make. Technically they had 4 non-sporting events this year as the American Football was not classified as a sporting event.

They actually got licences for 7 events. They are guaranteed 3.
    answer isn't 3. they could get more if one decides to apply and the council decides to grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

BrokenHero wrote: »
    So does Owen Keegan, evidently.

Why did he support an application for five concerts?

Why was he willing to defend allowing four concerts above the agreed three?

Surely the person that begrudged the residents the most was Keegan.

Exactly.

Instead of blaming ticket holders.

But then everyone got the blame.

Croke park - it was only the venue.

Aiken - it was only the promoter, the middle man between the venue, Garth brooks, the council. Doing his job, applying for licences the same way they have done for the past 54 years.

Garth Brooks - for being selfish. He gave up millions to look after his kids. He kept his promise and said he would be back once his youngest turns 18, in July of this year. Cancels five concerts so one is treated differently with a 10 million stage specially for Croke park and TV documentary. And he's labeled as selfish.

Then there's the fans for just having a ticket. Labeled as monsters and as packs of animals. Not there for the music but to cause as much trouble, disturbance and anti social behaviour as possible.

Never mind about their own carry on in all this, putting in false objections of dead children and handicapped people.

bobmalooka wrote: »
    We get it. More licenses can be applied for.

You seem to think the fact that more licenses CAN be applied for automatically means that the residents have no right to object.

It doesn't work like that, the GAA wanted to build their stadium in an unsuitable location for historic reasons and the consequence of that is they aren't going to be able to host an intensive schedule of events.

The reason most venues of that size are built on purpose built sites with extensive transport links is specifically to avoid this scenario.

The argument that the residents should suck it up because they live beside a stadium is redundant.
    its not. they didn't bother objecting to the re-development because they wanted the business from it, yet some want it used little. a venue like this should be left to market forces to decide the demand for events to take place in it

bubblypop wrote: »
    I would love to see how you would like it if thousands of people rocked up to where you lived and had concerts 5 days in a row.
    Imagine the guards blocking your road, hundreds and hundreds streaming up your road, throwing litter around and urinating in your garden.
    The noise in a Monday and Tuesday night when you/your kids are in bed trying to sleep because you have to get up early the next day.

It is a huge disruption, no matter how you feel about Garth brooks.
    The concerts in the phoenix Pk where not repeated this year because of trouble last year and residents complaints.

All they had to do was move his concerts to somewhere more suitable. Simple.

Where in the country holds 82000? Where is suitable?

Gaelic Grounds in Limerick holds 50000. That's 8 nights in Limerick. That's OK pass on the problem. Not in my back yard attitude.

• Advertisement

BrokenHero wrote: »
    Wish certain people would quit attacking people from Dublin. It's needless. Lots of people in Dublin wanted the concerts to go ahead. Indeed, the vast majority of the residents in the end were happy to see the concerts go ahead. Read the Mulvey report.

Said it on the last thread and I'll say it again: this would not have happened had this been Bowie selling out five nights, or someone with his level of music credibility. There was without question an overall embarrassment that this was about a country and western singer who, even at the height of his career, most people would be cringing about. For maybe ten minutes line dancing was cool, and that's a big maybe.

Again, had this being an artist with creditability, then it would never have got to the embarrassing levels that it did. The media played on that aspect of things also. There was a smirk and a giggle with every news report and I am firmly convinced it was because the whole debacle took on a comedic tone based purely on the artist and music genre involved.

Are you still prattling on about how the artist responded at the 11th hour?

Can't you for one second take your head out of the sand and see that there is a problem with a system that sees a council phoning a promoter three weeks before concerts are to take place, in which 400,000 people are due to attend, to tell them that they are not allowing some of them to go ahead? You think that is an acceptable system in place that would put a council official in that position?

Not just that, but an 11th hour phone call where the council official isn't even 100% sure yet if they will grant three licences or that there could yet be a chance to grant four. You think that is professional?

Keegan had phones calls with Croke Park about these concerts as far back as December and said he would "support" the applications for five further concerts and he can waffle on until the cows come home (or his road signs get put back up, whichever comes first) about just what that meant but it is quite clear that he led Croke Park and Peter Aiken to believe that he had no issue with these concerts going ahead.

Indeed, he admitted at the hearings that he would have been happy to grant five licences if Croke Park had met the concerns of the residents. Are we supposed to believe that somehow Croke Park and Peter Aiken are someone supposed to be psychic and have some kind of sixth sense and be able to surmise that Keegan was just sending them telekinetic signals that he on the basis of what they were doing on the ground he would only then be happy with approving four nights and not five??

It's farcical and I really wish people would wake up and pay attention. Keegan has admitted at the hearings that the reason he was only willing to consider four nights and not five was because then DCC would not look like "complete sell outs". Therefore, it was pure tokenism and in an effort to save face for himself and DCC he wanted to make sure to at least refuse one single night.

That infamous phone call came a mere 12 hours after it was revealed that the high court injunction had been filed by the Parnell St resident (thought at the time to be a Croke Park resident of course).

I had wondered what Bertie did with Teflon coat when he retired. Nice to see its found a home.

Seriously people: time to take your heads out of the sand and see Owen Keegan for all his glorious and wondrous levels of ineptitude.
    and the rest

Where in the country holds 82000? Where is suitable?

Gaelic Grounds in Limerick holds 50000. That's 8 nights in Limerick. That's OK pass on the problem. Not in my back yard attitude.

Honestly I don't know but if he played a smaller venue he could've just done more nights.
    And I don't think anywhere in the muddle of a residential area is appropriate.

How many people attend oxygen? Or whatever its called now? Thousands of people, camping, taking over a huge area but not too many complaints, as far as I know.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Nasty comments come back to bite you.
    it wasn't nasty. it was a bit of light hearted fun. learn to take a joke

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The residents arent to blame for last year's fiasco. I live on an estate road and I wouldnt have wanted a crowd of farmers with their trousers held up with bailer twine on my road 5 nights in a row either. The fault lies at the feet of Aiken Promotions and Garth Brooks for pure and unadulterated greed.
    no greed at all. simple market forces at hand

bubblypop wrote: »
    Honestly I don't know but if he played a smaller venue he could've just done more nights.
    And I don't think anywhere in the muddle of a residential area is appropriate.

How many people attend oxygen? Or whatever its called now? Thousands of people, camping, taking over a huge area but not too many complaints, as far as I know.

Done a quick search, oxygen 2013 and there was 50000. Croke Park is the only venue big enough to hold 82000 people. Maybe Slane, I'm not sure, but that wasnt being allowed to be used for concerts this year.

Wouldn't have minded 40 nights in O2 myself, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is this thread still being indulged? Sweet devine. Its like part of the dark internet.

its not. they didn't bother objecting to the re-development because they wanted the business from it, yet some want it used little. a venue like this should be left to market forces to decide the demand for events to take place in it

You should check out the YouTube video of Eamon o Brien talking of the corporate GAA profiting of their local communities. Goes on about Croke Park and how its used for weddings now, like as if there's 82000 people attending a wedding there! Swear to god. People just don't want it used for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You should check out the YouTube video of Eamon o Brien talking of the corporate GAA profiting of their local communities. Goes on about Croke Park and how its used for weddings now, like as if there's 82000 people attending a wedding there! Swear to god. People just don't want it used for anything.

And? He's a taxpayer, therefore he's fully entitled to question the use of his tax to fund a private profit making industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Done a quick search, oxygen 2013 and there was 50000. Croke Park is the only venue big enough to hold 82000 people. Maybe Slane, I'm not sure, but that wasnt being allowed to be used for concerts this year.

Wouldn't have minded 40 nights in O2 myself, anyway.

punchestown holds 80000, and mcd didn't have a suitable headliner for slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

it wasn't nasty. it was a bit of light hearted fun. learn to take a joke

It was an antagonistic dig aimed to annoy and upset finished off by calling the Croker residents a particularly nasty name using the worst language possible. It's being brushed off as a joke now, but we all know it wasn't.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It was an antagonistic dig aimed to annoy and upset finished off by calling the Croker residents a particularly nasty name using the worst language possible. It's being brushed off as a joke now, but we all know it wasn't.

It was a joke back then on the 7 of February, the very first day they came out complaining. No one knew the residents would have escalated their crap for months on end. But after all that. Its not a joke now with their carry on over the past few months.

I'll never have respect for those people and what they done. Get over it.

Edit: And of course I'll be labeled as a the bad one AGAIN. Remember what they did, false objections using dead children and handicapped people.

Edit again: And you claim you have nothing to get over. Stop dragging my posts up from eight months ago. It wasn't the first time. And in fact, crawled over to the gigs and events and dragged up my after hours comment to have a dig at me when the concerts were cancelled. You absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 marcmc5

It was a joke back then on the 7 of February, the very first day they came out complaining. No one knew the residents would have escalated their crap for months on end. But after all that. Its not a joke now with their carry on over the past few months.

I'll never have respect for those people and what they done. Get over it.

Edit: And of course I'll be labeled as a the bad one AGAIN. Remember what they did, false objections using dead children and handicapped people.

The residents were right to object. Let the bogger play in some field in Ballygobackwards. The fat egotistical prick would probably be more at home somewhere like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Stop dragging my posts up from eight months ago

You're not a moderator. And, as you say yourself.

Get over it. ;)

If there are any Garth Brooks concerts in 2015, it won't be in Croke park.

Its time eamon o brien's and patrick gates army gives up on Garth brooks. Heard it was U2 for Croke Park next year.

I look forward to buying a ticket there for 2015 even if its U2. One Direction are also on tour again next year, would love to see them back, I'd buy a ticket for them too. Just so the demand exceeds 3 concerts. Every ticket helps. Let the bashing begin with whoever plays there in 2015. U2 got it in 2009. So its nothing new at all.

Maybe a new thread can be opened up Garth Brooks 2015/New residents/Ticket holder bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Its time eamon o brien's and patrick gates army gives up on Garth brooks. Heard it was U2 for Croke Park next year.

I look forward to buying a ticket there for 2015 even if its U2. One Direction are also on tour again next year, would love to see them back, I'd buy a ticket for them too. Just so the demand exceeds 3 concerts. Every ticket helps. Let the bashing begin with whoever plays there in 2015. U2 got it in 2009. So its nothing new at all.

Maybe a new thread can be opened up Garth Brooks 2015/New residents/Ticket holder bashing.
    So much anger and bitterness can't be good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

So much anger and bitterness can't be good for you.
    Eamon and his gang would probably know all about anger and bitterness due to objecting to a few gigs over issues over a handball alley.

They're always moaning about something. There were no gigs there in 2010 so they staged a protest to block a match. Just trying to get one over on the gaa.

Eamon and his gang would probably know all about anger and bitterness due to objecting to a few gigs over issues over a handball alley.

And when there wasn't enough concerts to protest about in 2010, just one. Can't do anything about that.

He went on anyway to block fans from attending an all Ireland match.

Himself and and his convoy of 18 tonne trucks and 42 more larger vehicles to block roads.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/croker-area-residents-to-stop-cork-final-day-traffic-in-protest-130527.html

Anything to get to the GAA

marcmc5 wrote: »
    The residents were right to object.

In the meetings that were held back in mid July, Owen said that usually for public events they get less than 20 objections. For Marley Park this year, there was one objection. I'd say there were very few objections sent in, in relation to the Garth brooks gigs that were based on genuine concerns and for the most part objections were based on an organised campaign against the gaa.

I remember reading a comment on another site from someone who wrote all this Garth Brooks gigs objecting business reminds him/her of Clontarf where the council wished to build a wall along the seafront but the locals objected due to disturpting their view of the sea. Anyways last winter and earlier this year with the stormy weather, many homes down there got flooded because there was no flood protection (and the wall would have provided protection from the high tides).

Karma will hit them croker moaners in the ass some day, good hard and proper. Who in their right might would play there in croke park for a gig again? I'll tell you who. Nobody. The whole stadium will fall down around them and they'd probably still complain.

And when there wasn't enough concerts to protest about in 2010, just one. Can't do anything about that.

He went on anyway to block fans from attending an all Ireland match.

Himself and and his convoy of 18 tonne trucks and 42 more larger vehicles to block roads.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/croker-area-residents-to-stop-cork-final-day-traffic-in-protest-130527.html

Anything to get to the GAA

Snap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

8 evening events in summer out of 365 days in the year. There's 358 nights of sleep left in the year. Oh my god. That's just 2014.

But considering that 5 of those didn't happen, its actually, 362 nights of sleep left.

362 nights left to sleep. It wasn't much. And last year a whole 365 nights of sleep. How do people do it?

So many begrudgers in this country.

people will still get to sleep, but perhaps a little later, no big deal

the problem seems to be greed alright
    the residents wanted their palms greased and so too did the council probably
    whenever bureaucracy rears its ugly head, somebody, somewhere is not getting his brown envelope

There are just 2 sides
    those who believe Garth was a big kid who stomped his feet too much
    and those who believe he was right to stand his ground after what he was promised.

i suggest the side blaming Garth are mainly dubs, not necessarily Croke Park residents

is this likely ?

seems to be to do with the renevation of the handball centre

Check out Eamon O Brien on youtube. There was something there from him at the end of June rattling on about croke park, the gaa, casement park, and pairc ui chaoemh (spelling I'm not sure about but it's Corks Stadium). Casement park in Belfast and Cork are due upgrades and he has pains in his fcuking b0llocks seeing the GAA trying to expand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think this has gone on longer than it needed to. It's a rant about a gig that wasn't going to happen, and is now just repeating the previous thread with everyone trying to blame everyone else. I hate to be the one to bring logic into it, but Brooks, Aiken, the GAA, some of the residents and DCC are all to blame for this fiasco. Just let it go and move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement