Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Running Chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Donadea what???? What have I missed!!!!! Recovery going ok, fitness seems a bit shot though, which I can deal with as long as I get over the injury 100%...
    I'll sort out an aul hug even if I have to make a trip to cabinteely or wherever your local hangout is!!!!!

I'm in for berlin this year although it may only be a tourist run ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Donadea what???? What have I missed!!!!! Recovery going ok, fitness seems a bit shot though, which I can deal with as long as I get over the injury 100%...
    I'll sort out an aul hug even if I have to make a trip to cabinteely or wherever your local hangout is!!!!!

I'm in for berlin this year although it may only be a tourist run ☺

:D remember? you were gonna come and support younganne?! I'm with you on the shot fitness :rolleyes: :rolleyes: it's shocking but hopefully one or other of us will get back to normal - it seems there's a very fine boards crew heading to Charleville half marathon this year, I might throw my hat in the ring and visit the ancestral county at the same time (don't tell anyone I'm quarter Cork!) if that fits into your schedule.

Berlin!! oh excellent!!! here's hoping you'll be match fit for that event. It's fast and flat I believe!

Oh ya, for a second I thought there was another Donadea outing :D:D

Berlin may well be fast and flat, unfortunately I'm now slow and round :D

Monday 29th May 5 miles @ 8:53
    Short easy/recovery around mervue pitches. Don't usually come down here but a grand spot for few quiet miles..

Tuesday 30th May Athenry 5k 3.1 miles @ 6:24
    My first club race :D
    Race went ok I guess. A bit boxed in at the start but I didn't mind to much as I'm still worried about my poor pacing and lack of fitness. Seemed to be fairly in control during this race and finished strongly compared to the last few 5ks. Concentration dipped a couple of times and pace suffered there, but a noticeable improvement in general I think.
    If I can be a bit more positive and stay more focused I'll be able to push on some more.
    6:29, 6:30, 6:20 (5:38) link
    (chip 20:01)

Wednesday 31st May 5 miles@ 8:20
    Short run in around town :) Legs still slightly tender after yesterdays run but not to bad.

Thursday 1st June 5 miles @ 8:20
    Kind caught for time here so just a quick trot around the neighbourhood.

Friday 2nd June 10 miles @ 7:49
    Coastal run out to salthill and back. Noticeably warm today, well maybe all week!!!! Found this run a bit tough. Comfortably hard maybe.. Fely good afterwards though which is a good thing I suppose.

Saturday 3rd June 16 miles @ 8:38
    Pull the long run in to Saturday as I'm attending a christening tomorrow so will be short on time. Weather wise I got a bit of everything on this one, but it was mostly sunny. Took a couple of miles for the legs to loosen out but was fairly ok after that :) Finished the run about a mile from home and walked the last mile in the sunshine with a nice takeaway tea from the local shop. Felt a lot better after getting a bit of food into me and a snooze on the couch :)

Sunday 4th june Rest

Monday 5th June 7 miles @ 9:36
    Easy run turned into recovery paced run :D Local wooded area I used to play in as a youngster regularly was my area of choice for this. This place is literally across the road but I haven't spent much time here in a long time. Very nostalgic run thinking about years gone by (in a good way!!) and really enjoyed this run. This place is under threat of rezoning ect and I'll be fooked i'll i'll be in favour of that... Loverly place for a chilled out or recovery run and will use it more regularly with a few pics thrown in.... Lovely :)

Tuesday 6th June 10 miles @ 8:12
    This 10 miler out to blackrock and back will now be called the salthill 10 in future :) Pace started of a tad faster than planned so just went with it as it wasn't to far off the mark.

Wednesday 7th June 5 miles @ 8:17
    Quick loop around town as I was short on time. Nice run all the same.

Thursday 8th June 7 miles @ 8:03
    Nice little run here although the pace was creeping up.

Friday 9th June 5 miles @ 9:29
    Short recovery paced run in preparation of long run which I've pulled in to Saturday because of sporting fixtures on the TV :D
    Slightly different route but grand.

Saturday 10th June 18 miles @ 8:35
    Saw during the week that HBS did a 5 mile run on the area of a sixpence :)
    It made me think of a couple of things.
    1. A long run where there is an easy way out may be a good tester of my willpower.
    2. I wanted a run with some gentle hills to see how the glute holds up over time
    3. Paces aside, I wanted to see how this goes and hopefully get some confidence going into a berlin training plan( yet to be decided), starting on Monday.

All things considered it went well enough :) I did however get a bit of a dull ache in the glute between around miles 3 and 4, but this subsided and the rest of the run went well.

Planning short easy run tomorrow and Kick on from there. Have Athenry Half marathon saturday week and haven't a ball notion what to target. I need to get a true idea of where I am. 1:30 is a bit off I think, and 1:35 to soft I think.
    I also think I could be being soft blaming injury and my head holding me back a bit... I'll decide over the next week or two :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

See you at the Athenry Half, Marty. I got a spare entry transferred from a friend. No preparation and very low milage so could be interesting.

snailsong wrote: »
    See you at the Athenry Half, Marty. I got a spare entry transferred from a friend. No preparation and very low milage so could be interesting.

Good man P, see you there.... No prep eh.... A 1:28:xx so is it :D:D

May see you in ballinrobe for the 5k if you're doing it??

Sunday 11th June unplanned rest

Monday 12th June 5 miles @ 7:50
    Short skip in around town. Felt good throughout. Very enjoyable run :)

Tuesday 13th June Club relays :)
    Billed as a fun event and one aimed at all members regardless of ability as it is a handicapped event. Teams of 3 were put together depending on ability and distance we were told was about 4km roughly. A two lap circuit that we usually train on.
    Very relaxed atmosphere and plenty of messing about. Really enjoyed it. As for my leg, I was last to go on my team.
    Tore off down the road and when I looked at my pace about 500 meters in it was just over 5:30/mile.. Fook!!! Put the brakes on and first mile beeped at 6:00. Still to fast for where I am, and the writing was on the wall!!! Passed the gang at the starting area and started my second lap. Working really hard to keep it going but pace had dropped. Managed to pass a couple of people during this time but could see a faster guy catching me as I rounded the bend. Wasn't long and I was saying good luck to him as he went by effortlessly :D Second mile 6:20.
    Faster guy pulled well ahead and I was on my own flogging a dead horse for the remainder which turned out to be .3 of a mile (6:37).... Mid pack respectability :D:D
    Really enjoyed it and a good way to meet and introduce myself to some other members. Grand feed of cakes/buns/sambos/pizza on offer after....
    Warm up 3.5 miles @ 8:01
    Relay 2.3 miles @ 6:14
    cool down .6 mile @ 8:52

Wednesday 14th June 5 miles @ 8:17
    Originally planned a 10 miler but short on time. Loop of the town and back home. Raining but still quite humid... Overdressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

snailsong wrote: »

Good man P, see you there.... No prep eh.... A 1:28:xx so is it :D:D

May see you in ballinrobe for the 5k if you're doing it??

Yes, I hope to make Ballirobe.

Thursday 15th June 10 miles @ 7:42
    Decided to do the 10 miler I ditched yesterday. Was Feeling fairly fresh
    throughout and clipped along nicely :)

Friday 16th June 7 miles @ 8:23
    A nice trot in and around town. All was going well until around the 4 mile mark
    when I suddenly felt a bit lightheaded. Came on suddenly and I stopped for a few seconds to get my bearings and was on my way again.
    The rest of the run was uneventful......

Saturday 17th June 10 miles @ 7:43
    Another Salthill 10 today. Again the legs felt good and clipped along nicely.

Sunday 18th June 20 miles @ 8:34
    Was a bit apprehensive about a 20 miler but it needed to be done. Wanted to see how I'd hold up with 20 before throwing in some MP miles in the long run in future.
    Warm, warm day. I wasn't at the end of the road and I was starting to
    leak :eek::eek: I knew it was warm out and threw a few euro in my trusty money belt. At 6 miles in I stopped for a drink. Instead of my usual few sips, I guzzled the full bottle in seconds and was on my way again.
    My route took me out towards TbLs direction but stopped at Padraicins which was my turnaround spot. Was absolutely beautiful out there and would gladly have finished the run there if I met anyone I knew :D:D
    Another drink downed around the 13 mile mark and headed for home. Had planned my run to finish down the road from me which it did as my treat for suffering this heat was a 99!!!! Didn't have one in so long and to say I enjoyed it would be an understatement:D:D
    The last couple of miles were tough but I think that was just in my head knowing I was close to home.. Happy with the run anyway :)

65 miles for the week. Haven't hit that mark since March 2016:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Monday 19th June Rest

Tuesday 20th June 8 miles @ 8:01 (inc club run 6x4mins)
    Was supposed to go to ballinrobe for a 5k this evening but traffic woes
    made me swing back for the club run instead. Aimed to run the 4mins @HMP
    with a view to Athenry Half at weekend. Got into it by second rep and found it not to bad in the end LInk

Wednesday 21 June 10 miles @ 8:22
    Out and back to salthill. Nothing to report.

Thursday 22 June 4 miles @ 9:03
    Recovery run around the neighbourhood

Friday 23 June Rest

Saturday 24 June Athenry Half Marathon 13.1 miles @ 7:01
    Had no definite plan for this on the lead up so was just going to see what happens.
    When the gun went I headed with 1:30 pace in mind and see how I got on.
    However, it soon became apparent that I would struggle at this pace!!!! First mile beeped at 7:00 with the 1:30 pacers up ahead. Not only that, but the effort levels were way to high to try and push on. With that in mind I settled into running the remainder at 7:00 pace and see how I get in.
    Worked hard throughout and feel I gave a good account of myself and where I am right now. Pace and head dropped a bit for the last maybe 2 miles. I'll put this down to running on my own at this stage and being fairly fecked as well :)
    Crossed the line in 1:32:02
    Even though I fairly wiped after it and had to lay down on the grass for a bit breathing heavily, I was happy enough with the result as no glute issue at all :D yay
    Had a brief chat with snailsong (who ran a fantastic race) after the race but felt a bit off so headed for home soon after..link

Sunday 25th June 10 miles @ 8:30
    Salthill run. Enjoying the weather :)

Monday 26th June Rest

Tuesday 27th June 8 miles @ 7:38 inc club 4 x 6 minutes off 90 seconds, 3 minutes recovery, 4 x 30 seconds off equal distance recovery.link
    Tough but enjoyable :)

Wednesday 28th June 7 miles @ 8:13
    Quick loop in and out of town, all good.

Thursday 29th June 3 miles @ 9:00
    Recovery run, all good.

Friday 30th June 10 miles @ 7:53
    Salthill run, lovely day for it. Great atmosphere around the docks
    for seafest 2017. Sorry I didn't spend some time down there...

Saturday 01st July 11 miles @ 8:21
    Ever so slightly extended salthill run :) Sun still shining in Galway city. Met some bogger who said it was p1ssing out in connemara this morning :D

So, attention now turns to Berlin 2017.
    12 week plan starts on Monday. Exciting times ahead :)

Really must update here more regularly....
    At least my running is becoming more consistent :)

Sunday 02 July 17 miles @ 8:31
    Long run out to barna pier and back. Run went well and kept the pace fairly consistent throughout..

Monday 03 July Rest

Tuesday 04 July 7 miles @ 8:05
    This weeks club runs cancelled.... Went for trot around the town, a bit later than I would have liked.

Wednesday 05 July 7 miles @ 7:37 Session
    I decided to tackle the planned club run myself today. Headed down to St. James' pitch and started off.
    Planned session was 4-5-6-5-4(1 min recoveries),3min jog,5x40sec sprints(20sec jog)
    Found it fairly tough by myself and found the "sprints" were jaded...

4mins 6:41
    5mins 6:49
    6mins 6:50
    5mins 6:45
    4mins 6:46

Sprints...
    5:59
    6:04
    5:56
    6:00
    6:09

Fairly wrecked after it but glad I had a go...

Thurs 06 July Rest

Friday 07 July 10 miles @ 8:19
    Salthill run.... Went out earlier than usual as it was such a lovely day :)

Saturday 08 July 6 miles @ 9:44
    Relaxed recovery run in and around Merlin woods... So peaceful down there.

Sunday 09 July 13 miles @ 7:44 MP run
    Plan today was 13 miles w8 @ MP
    I wasn't sure about what pace my MP should be exactly, and I didn't want to overstretch myself so I said I'd aim for sub 7:30 pace a see how I feel.
    I also headed out to dangan to do this as I didn't want interruption of traffic ect.
    I found the first couple of MP miles tough to get settled, but around the 3rd mile I found I was running comfortably enough. The last mile was also tough, but I think that was more of a mental thing knowing I was near the end and I was "switching off"
    7:26
    7:21
    7:19
    7:22
    7:18
    7:28
    7:24
    7:24
    link

Monday 10 July 5 miles @ 8:21 (11 weeks to go)
    Quick loop in to town....

Tuesday 11 July 7 miles @ 7:18
    4x4mins(1 min rec),2min jog,2x6mins(90sec)Link
    Another club run. Every time I see a prescribed run on paper I get doubts about being able for it, but I always seem to get through them relatively ok. I suppose the more I do I'll just get more used to them. I'm starting to relish the tasks now and do be looking forward to them.
    This run went better than expected and was happy going away from it.

Wednesday 12 July 7 miles @ 7:50
    Another loop of town. Had planned to run this a lot slower than I did as
    I wanted to save myself for thursdays run, but I was lacking a bit of discipline..

Thursday 13 July 5 miles @ 7:16
    Decided during the week to make my first club thursday tempo run :)
    Set the sat nav to the new location and off I went :D
    Plan was 10mins, 2 mins rec, 10mins, 1 min rec, 10mins...
    Of course I messed up the workout on the watch so headed off with no settings.
    I found this tough from the get-go, well, after the first 10 mins anyway. Just a bit sluggish... Not to worry, got though it anyway. Will aim to make as many thursday runs as possible.. Link

Friday 14 July 5 miles @ 8:19
    Another tour of the town. Bit of drizzle this evening to cool things down on a most enjoyable run...

Feeling as if I'm going in the right direction at last. Seemed like a long road and although I get the odd twinge from the glute, it's doesn't have me afraid to push on like it did before. I'll still have to mind it and try to strengthen it, but I feel confident. Managed to loose a bit of the injury weight gain(bit more to go) and curtailed the booze a bit(nothing the last 5 weeks), so I feel like a few thing are going in the right direction. I've holidays coming up and a couple of stag nights and weddings, so I hope I don't do to much damage to myself :) Also looking forward to catching up with TbL at the streets of Galway.....

Definitely have to update more often.... Phewwwww..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great progress Marty, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all sub 8 min pace, just be careful on the pace. I know life gets in the way and we need to get runs done quicker at times but don't make it the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You're going great guns Marty.

I'll be starting with the walkers not the elites this year :)

TbL

I'll be starting with the walkers not the elite walkers like normal this year :)

TbL

Fixed that to what it really should have read!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

OOnegative wrote: »
    Fixed that to what it really should have read!!!

At least I'm with the elite walkers, you're in with the bingo playing, jumper knitting granny walking brigade :)

TbL

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great progress Marty, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday all sub 8 min pace, just be careful on the pace. I know life gets in the way and we need to get runs done quicker at times but don't make it the norm.

Fact.... Really should have been more disciplined on the Wednesday... Going out I was well aware I needed to take it easy knowing I had planned for Thursday session... Even the last mile I was half cursing myself for running at that pace...
    I'll be more sensible from now on boss, I can't afford to take risks....

I'll be starting with the walkers not the elites this year :)

TbL

I will not be near any of the elites either... I'll settle in with the hobby joggers ☺

I'll see you for the cuppa afterwards and we'll give out about life like proper grumpy auld men☺

At least I'm with the elite walkers, you're in with the bingo playing, jumper knitting granny walking brigade :)

TbL

Trust you to know all about the grannies!!!

TbL

Is that a dig at him cause he ran with me last week????!!!!! You'll have more than your knee to worry about so :D:D #definitelynotagranny

• Advertisement

Saturday 15th July 7 miles @ 8:23
    Early evening run through town, felt good...

Sunday 16th July 15 miles @ 8:25
    Plan called for long run of 15 miles.
    Decided to head out the N17 and pay a visit to Claregalway and Oranmore.
    Weather was lovely and the run went well.
    Although I was throwing a few glances at the watch, I didn't alter my pace. Felt nice and relaxed on this one and thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Monday 17th July Rest (10 weeks to go)

Tuesday 18th July 8 miles @ 7:34
    Club session 5x6mins (90sec rec.)

Another session I nervously looking forward to :D
    I'm still trying to figure out exactly how hard I should be pushing these... When they finish I'm glad it's over and I do be fairly tired for a while, but I'm not banjaxed altogether.
    In writing that, I realise if I push on a bit more, I'm pretty sure there's a good chance I'd
    have to cut the session short of jog the last rep, I'll take a cautious approach...
    Paces for this session were...
    6:50
    6:49
    6:46
    6:44
    6:34
    link
    Happy to get it done...

Wednesday 19th July 6 miles @ 8:12
    Tried to be a bit more sensible than last Wednesday. Probably should have ran even slower, but an improvement anyway :D Lovely run...

Thursday 20 July 7 miles @ 7:31
    Club session, Thursday Tempo, 10mins,12mins,14mins(2min rec)

Thursdays usual out and back section on quietish country roads :)
    Knocked sweat outta me but enjoyable all the same....
    6:59
    7:08
    7:04
    Link

Friday 21 July 6 miles @ 9:03
    Recovery loop around town....

Saturday 22 July 16 miles @7:47 MP run
    Pulled the long run in a day... Planned run was 16 miles w10@MP
    Out to dangan again for this one. Again, I was a little bit nervous about this one. Partly because of the 10 MP miles, and second was the sun shining down on me.
    3 easy miles to start and was feeling fine, nice and relaxed.
    Then into the 10 and took a while to settle in as usual. About the second MP mile before my breathing relaxed somewhat and was running fairly comfortably albeit sweating profusely.... Was struggling a bit mentally towards the end but got through it. Slight ache in the glute though when I eased off into the final 3 easyish miles so a slight concern to finish.
    MP miles were...
    7:28
    7:27
    7:15
    7:30
    7:20
    7:30
    7:10
    link

Sunday 23 July 7 miles @ 8:33
    Easy run to town while monitoring the glute... No issues during the run but a small bit achy for a while in the evening but nothing to serious...

Monday 24 July Rest (9 weeks to go)

Tuesday 25 July 6 miles @ 7:42
    Club session, Tuesday speed,(Rec week) 6x4mins(60sec rec), 2min jog, 4x30sec(30 sec recovery)......

Recovery week me arse.... I've given up fearing these sessions.. I'll take them.
    6:29
    6:33
    6:37
    5:18
    4:58
    5:13
    5:21

Was hard going on the 6x4.... But intensity levels really peaked on the sprints.... I think it was on the second sprint I thought my heart would come out my chest. Unfamiliarly scary but under control at the same time.... Maybe the second or third time I've felt it... I could yet be a sprinter :D
    Link

Wednesday 26th July 5 miles @ 9:07
    Recovery loop around town...

Thursday 27 July 8 miles @ 7:34
    Club session, Thursday Tempo.. !5-10-15(2mins)

7:02
    7:01

Another tough one, more so in my head....

Link

Friday 28 July 7 miles @ 8:13

Loop about the town.... All good.....

Saturday 29 July 14 miles @ 8:24
    I wanted another 3 miles on this long run but family commitments cut it short.... Probably just as well as I was fairly fooked at the ends of it :) Splits fairly consistent so not to bad :)

Sunday 30th July 7 miles @ 8:29
    Steady loop around town...
    Ever so slight glute twinge lately.... Not necessarily while running, but monitored all the same..... Columbo...

Monday 31 July Rest (8 weeks to go)

Tuesday 01 Aug 8 miles @ 7:22
    Club session 3-4-5-6-5-4-3(60 sec)

Link

Garmin connect down so unable to load details onto watch.. Running blind :D
    Was a bit out of my comfort zone here as it was the first time trying to hit a pace without the watch.... Normally a runner would have a fair idea of their given pace, be it a 5k/10k/half or whatever, but me coming back from injury I had no idea in reality. Boss woman said to aim for about 10k pace, which swiftly flew over my head :D

Kept an an eye on clubmate who I'm trying to catch just a tad ahead of me over the first few reps but he gradually pushes ahead of me. I'm thinking he went out to hard and will fade, but he pushes on into the distance... He's going really well at the moment, so as much as it pains me he pulled away, I'm so glad he pulled me along... Good man R.....

Overall I'm delighted with the session.... Mobile site shows a bit of a skewed graph effort wise, but I feel desktop gives a truer reflection....

I'm fully aware of the saying keeping the hard days for racing, but this hard day without the watch tells me I've still a lot to learn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

Tuesday 25 July 6 miles @ 7:42
    Club session, Tuesday speed,(Rec week) 6x4mins(60sec rec), 2min jog, 4x30sec(30 sec recovery)......

Recovery week me arse.... I've given up fearing these sessions.. I'll take them.
    6:37
    5:18
    4:58
    5:13
    5:21

Was hard going on the 6x4.... But intensity levels really peaked on the sprints.... I think it was on the second sprint I thought my heart would come out my chest. Unfamiliarly scary but under control at the same time.... Maybe the second or third time I've felt it... I could yet be a sprinter :D
    Link

Wednesday 26th July 5 miles @ 9:07
    Recovery loop around town...

Thursday 27 July 8 miles @ 7:34
    Club session, Thursday Tempo.. !5-10-15(2mins)

7:02
    7:01

Another tough one, more so in my head....

Link

Friday 28 July 7 miles @ 8:13

Loop about the town.... All good.....

Saturday 29 July 14 miles @ 8:24
    I wanted another 3 miles on this long run but family commitments cut it short.... Probably just as well as I was fairly fooked at the ends of it :) Splits fairly consistent so not to bad :)

Sunday 30th July 7 miles @ 8:29
    Steady loop around town...
    Ever so slight glute twinge lately.... Not necessarily while running, but monitored all the same..... Columbo...

Monday 31 July Rest (8 weeks to go)

Tuesday 01 Aug 8 miles @ 7:22
    Club session 3-4-5-6-5-4-3(60 sec)

Link

Garmin connect down so unable to load details onto watch.. Running blind :D
    Was a bit out of my comfort zone here as it was the first time trying to hit a pace without the watch.... Normally a runner would have a fair idea of their given pace, be it a 5k/10k/half or whatever, but me coming back from injury I had no idea in reality. Boss woman said to aim for about 10k pace, which swiftly flew over my head :D

Kept an an eye on clubmate who I'm trying to catch just a tad ahead of me over the first few reps but he gradually pushes ahead of me. I'm thinking he went out to hard and will fade, but he pushes on into the distance... He's going really well at the moment, so as much as it pains me he pulled away, I'm so glad he pulled me along... Good man R.....

Overall I'm delighted with the session.... Mobile site shows a bit of a skewed graph effort wise, but I feel desktop gives a truer reflection....

I'm fully aware of the saying keeping the hard days for racing, but this hard day without the watch tells me I've still a lot to learn :D

Thanks Marty, it was a good session. You are definitely running these stronger by the week.
    I was trying to hang onto someone too but he got away.
    Boss Woman 😂 is at a different level!

Wednesday 02 Aug 10 miles @ 7:58
    Salthill run, felt good but probably should have went a fraction easier.

Thursday 03 Aug 10 miles @ 7:33
    Club session, Thursday Tempo... 5x10mins (90 sec)

Link
    6:56
    6:58
    6:47
    6:41

Hard to get going. Running alongside clubmate for final 3 made it a bit easier to keep going. Tough but manageable.

Friday 04 Aug 5 miles @ 8:37
    Easy run around the city.

Saturday 05 Aug 10 miles @ 7:58
    Another salthill run. Again annoyingly I ran this a bit fast I think. With the knowledge of an upcoming long run in the morning, I know I should have pulled back a bit.

Sunday 06 Aug 19 miles @ 8:14
    Headed for an out and back route towards barna direction for this. With the realisation of what I had done so far this week, I was going to play this one by ear a bit. Anything between 16 and 20 miles was the goal and no pace goal as such.
    Over all the run went well. Made to to connemara coast hotel before the return leg. Stopped at around mile 14 for a drink as I found it a bit draining with the heat. Finished the run just over a mile from home at a shop where I got another drink and walked the last bit with 19 in the bank. I could have ran to 20 miles but used the bit of a walk to stretch out and cool down.
    Link

Not a bad week considering I was on holidays for race week and was back drinking alcohol most nights after being off it for 8 weeks...

Monday 07 Aug Rest

Tuesday 08 Aug 9.7 miles @ 7:24
    Club session, speed, 10x3mins(1min),2min jog,4x30sec(30 sec)

6:26
    6:25
    6:21
    6:21
    6:36
    6:26
    6:27
    6:23
    5:25
    5:28
    4:57
    5:25
    Link
    Found this tough to keep consistent and struggled with the last couple of 3 min reps. Don't know what happened with the pace of the 5th(6:36):(

The 30 sec sprints were tough but knowing I was nearly done made them easier. Kicked a bit in the 3rd and was fecked for the final one. I actually thought the final one would have suffered more...
    Tired but content......

Good man Marty, softened his cough for him!!!

Wednesday 09 Aug 3 miles @ 8:20
    Local recovery run.... Neighbours :D...

Thursday 10 Aug 9 miles @ 7:32
    Club session, Thursday Tempo, 5x1mile approx, manual entry...
    6:42
    6:35
    6:40
    6:22
    All over the place pace wise....
    Friday 11 Aug 10 miles @ 8:40
    Relaxed run by salthill :D

Saturday 12 Aug Streets of Galway 8K 2017 5 miles @ 6:27

More fear than hard work :D:D

Dreading this run for the last 2 weeks but tried to focus ::D
    6:25
    6:30
    6:16

Steady enough run even though I was struggling after 2k... Goes to show how easy it is to throw in the towel. Around the 2k mark I saw who I thought was TbL...A tanned goldie locked efficient gaited model was casually chatting to a nearby runner.. I was thinking"ah fcuk this cant" as I sneaked up by him, but was so happy to see it wasn't the man himself... Pfewww :D:D

Upped the effort towards the end to push on a bit but ultimately no real fight or desire... Just finished it out...
    Happy with result but didn't learn a lot apart from the fact I'm a wimp.....
    Link

Sunday 13 Aug 10 miles @ 7:54
    Blehhhh run.... drizzly rain but felt decent enough....

You'd want to be a mad fooker to do that CONN100 wouldn't ya........

Monday 14th Aug 7 miles @ 8:24
    Run around the city. Legs small bit tender starting out but ok after a couple of miles..

Tuesday 15 Aug 11 miles @ 7:26
    Club session, speed, 8x4mins (90sec)

Did a good warm up of nearly 4 miles to try and loosen out fully before starting into the faster stuff.
    6:40, 6:38, 6:29, 6:40, 6:30, 6:34, 6:30, 6:25.....
    Again, legs felt a tad unresponsive to start but improved a bit as I went on. Was Tired after this run though, slept well.....Link

Wednesday 16 Aug 7 miles @ 8:17
    Usual run around the city. Was tired on this run and thought about turning back after 2 miles. Felt good by the end of it though....
    If I'm not 100% tomorrow I'll take it a bit easier on tomorrows tempo run..

You'd want to be a mad fooker to do that CONN100 wouldn't ya........

You would....did you sign up??!

• Advertisement

You would....did you sign up??!

It's a run that has always interested me. If I ever do it, it will be after I nail down a few good marathons and the body is lighter and stronger.... So, I'll probably never get to do it :D:D

Thursday 17 Aug 11 miles @ 7:46
    Club session, Thursday Tempo, 3x2 miles(2min rec) approx, manual entry...

Warm up of 3.5 miles and then into the session. Planned pace was 6:50... Link

Actual paces for the 2 mile reps were 6:47, 6:47, 6:48...

Found it tough TBH. Not sure if it was me or running on an exposed route but it was a lot tougher than I had imagined :) The 2 min recoveries were mostly standing/walking around :o

Advertisement