Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Running Chaos

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have a brilliant race, Marty!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Glad to see somebody else applying the YOLO strategy - hoping you have a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Have a good one Marty.

What's YOLO ffs!! Stop speaking yoof!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hope it all goes your way tomorrow Marty :) Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The thing I'm most worried about is who's going to bring Marty home, we seen what happened when he went to Rotterdam!!! Snailsong if your reading, don't forget Marty heading back West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Have a good one Marty.

What's YOLO ffs!! Stop speaking yoof!!

TbL

You only live once!! (You knew that really :p )

Firedance wrote: »
    You only live once!! (You knew that really :p )

I genuinely didn't and when you get to my age it's YOLALL (you'll only live a little longer)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Best of luck, Marty. I'll have an eye out for you.

Tang, he's a big boy. I didn't do great looking after myself in Rotterdam, couldn't be trusted with anyone else :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thanks folks... I'll be saving my cultural adventures in Dublin for another date...
    Few pinteens tomorrow after the run while fighting off tiredness!!!!

Looking forward to meeting you in mcgrattans..

Update....

DCM went bad. 1st half working to hard to keep up with 3:20, so mind said fook it upon passing halfway point. Body gave up in a matter of minutes resulting in a slog to the finish, with many walking breaks...... Not sure if I was over optimistic going with last years time and getting over manflu, or just a bad day, but it's done now...

So, after a poor DCM, I took a week off. Then, I got back on it over the last week... The first couple of runs felt like a bit of a slog, but the last couple felt good TBH...
    "Long" run today of 12 miles felt good but shortly after returning got some pain in my glute area again... The same pain as I was getting the last few months.....

Going forward.....

So, I've made a sub 3 marathon my main goal as some might have seen. I cannot come close to this with a broken vessel, so for now, priority is in sorting this sinking ship out.
    I feel like I'm in an old canoe with a leak, when I stick my finger in the hole, another appears :D:D

I gotta turn this canoe into a warship ready for battle, so for now, priority is on the body and rehab.
    Cutting way back on alcohol(I need to anyway), Sh1te diet linked to previous, and God forbid, but I really think I need to GYM work(If I can do something at home instead, all the better!!!!)

And now, I'm gonna park this log here until I get something going....
    It's a new chapter for Martyboy, one with an ambitious target and requiring more focus....
    Some might say I should have a few chapters in between, but that's not how I operate.....
    See yiz all soon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry about the poor DCM, Marty. Good luck with the reinvention.

Hope the rehab goes really well Marty, sorry to hear about DCM. I've no doubt that you'll sort out those niggles and do yourself proud :)

All the best Marty, do what you have to do to come back stronger. Don't stay away to long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck with the Rehab Martyboy and we'll see you back stronger than ever real soon.

*Tumbleweeds*

So, it's been a tough few months and the rehab is taking longer than first thought. Glute issues are a right pain in the arse aren't they???
    Physio worked on glute I and took some time off before trying to get back to it, but soon enough was out again with tightness around the front. Really physically tight where I wouldn't be able to extend my leg back.
    I was really peed off at this stage and hit the beer/takeaways and google. Soon came to the realisation the maybe the problem has to do with my hips.
    My job is pretty much sitting down most of the day and one or two youtube videos pointed towards hip position. So now I am regularly standing rotating my hips back to a more neutral position and have taken the odd yoga class. I'm doing regular stretches in work now also.

Joined Athenry AC in January, but only managed to get down over the last 4-6 weeks. The speed sessions are a bit of an eye opener regarding loss of fitness as I can barely manage my old HMP for any length of time. Still, it's pushing me a bit and I've probably been lacking that so far in my running life.

Entered the galway 5k series and I'm actually sh1tting myself now :D At the moment I think I'd struggle to hit 22mins but I have to remind myself that I'm only getting back and I have the "guts" of 10kgs put on:eek::eek:

I still have some pain occasionally in the glute area, but I'm 90-95% over it :)

Long term goal is still a sub 3, it's the burning ember inside me. I don't know if I'll ever achieve it, but for all my negativity, I'm actually a can do kinda guy. Plus I'm a stubborn fooker and don't let things go easily :D:D

Hopefully I haven't jinked my return by this post, but sure I'm back on the horse so to speak, so let's have another crack at it. Wish me luck :)

Best of luck M, like myself you are a stubborn SOB but I've no doubt you'll return to former glories. Good decision on joining Athenry AC, great club with a great reputation that will sort those 10kgs out for you. Hopefully see you at a race sometime soon.

Great to see you back M, here's hoping for a great 2017 of running for you :)

• Advertisement

Good luck with the comeback ,Marty.
    I see from Strava you're not as far off as you make out. First thing to work on is the 10 kilos, the rest will follow.

Hey Marty,

Welcome back, I'll see you at some of those 5k races and we can wobble around together :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great to see you back posting, Marty, and GOOD LUCK :D

So, where was I.....

The comeback is still on track although still the odd stiffness/ache in the glute which I am mainly putting down to the increase in volume. Shins slightly giving notice to be careful, so everything is being closely monitored as I progress.

Volume increase over the last 8 weeks has been....
    8.6 miles (2 days)
    21.8 miles (4 days, 6.3 LSR :D )
    28.6 miles (4 days, 8.1 LSR)
    30.2 miles (5 days, 10.1 LSR)
    46.7 miles (7 days, 11.1 LSR)
    47.7 miles (6 days, 15.1 LSR)
    41.1 miles (5 days, 16.1 LSR)
    57.5 miles (7 days, 18.2 LSR)

I'll pull back the long run a tad from here slightly, just to ease back a small bit.
    First race of the 5k series next tuesday and don't really know what top go for. In my head judging be my club "speed" sessions, I've lost a lot of my "speed", (and I use that term very loosely), so i'm thinking of just getting into the groove and going by feel..... Could be interesting!!!!!

More regular updates to follow......

Good progress, Marty. You're right up to marathon style milage again. Any mid to long term target?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Great news, delighted to see that, and the log update too :)

Regular updates to follow....

Not a bad return to racing.

TbL

*Sneaks in unnoticed......*
    3 races done in the 5k series
    Ballybrit 20:43
    Caltra 20:23
    Craughwell 20:26.......

Times aside, I feel there are a few things I've noticed...
    While I am finding it tough going( as expected :) ), I think I've forgotten how to race :D
    Ballybrit- shock to the system a bit. Erratic pacing on a course with a bit of wind ect, and on top of that I threw in the towel a bit when I saw the finish line had moved from last year, now ending up a bit of an incline...

Caltra- a new venue, and a decent course. Pacing a bit off still ( but improving), and no real fight in me... Like ballybrit the week previous, Legs felt like they had little strength in them at the end....

Craughwell- Paced a lot better and even managed a bit of a kick in the end... Still slow :D:D
    Realise that even though I'm "tired" after the run, I'm not really racing. Seem to be just following a group.Settled in behind a guy who in the last couple of races was a bit ahead of me. Race was half over when I realised he wasn't racing this one!!!

These 5ks are good for me in many ways now. I'm almost afraid to race or even enter a race nowadays... If a can improve a bit over the next 3 races I might get some confidence back....

Injury wise I'm still not 100% all the time.... Every now and then I get a bit of a "twang", even by turning a certain way, as if it was sciatica. Other times(more often than not) it's movement restriction/tightness in groin/adductor area....
    I'm as crooked as TbL himself!!!!!!!!

There will be at least 2 weekly posts in future... I promise... :)

Sunday 16 miles LR @8:30

Probably should have been a tad slower, but felt good during this run. Was tired at the end but only slightly. Enjoyable

Monday Rest

Tuesday Loughrea 5k
    Felt ever so slightly off going down to this but not to bad. After recent 5ks where I felt a lack of focus and concentration, I planned a slightly different approach this time. Go out a bit harder and try to race people around me.
    Probably a wrong move :o
    At 2.2 miles (just before an uphill stretch) I had to stop for few seconds as I got a bit dizzy. It came on suddenly and took me a bit by surprise but think I did the right thing and stop to get my sh1t together. Jogged on the rest of the way for 20.34 finish. A combination of several factors I reckon. Not feeling 100%, Going out fast, and warm weather.... Was fine at the end of the run so will just write it off....
    strava

Wednesday 7 miles @ 8:14
    Regular run about town

Thursday 10 miles @ 8:10
    Out and back along the coast on a nice day :)

Friday 7 miles @ 7:56
    City loop again. Felt great on this run.
    Planned easy run tomorrow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You missed Donadea, tang has fe*ked off into the sunset so there's no canal run this year - when is a girl supposed to get her annual martyboy hug?! :D Hope the recovery is going well - is there a target...??

Advertisement