Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Running Chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Friday 18th Aug 5 miles @ 9:34
    Recovery run around the city.
    With yesterdays session in the legs and a long run coming up it was the right thing to do:)

Saturday 19th Aug 20 miles @ 8:24
    Pulled the long run in a day early as I was a bit put off by the predicted deluge of rainfall forecast for Sunday :)
    Had to stop the watch after a mile and start over as I wanted to turn on the autolap function.
    The route was basic enough, 12 miles around dangan with 4 miles each way to get there...
    8:27, 8:40, 8:46, 8:40, 8:38, 8:27, 8:25, 8:28, 8:30, 8:42,
    8:15, 8:22, 8:37, 8:12, 8:15, 7:58, 8:12, 8:12,8:18, 8:08

Didn't drink anything on this run but was a bit thirsty towards the end. Overall happy with how it went, felt good after it :)Link(minus 1st mile)

Sunday 20 Aug 6 miles @ 10:13
    Decided to hit the local wooded area for a bit of a recovery run. Also, for a change I brought my phone to take a few snaps knowing that this would ensure a slow paced run :)
    Had to tiptoe off as the hips were a bit sore and thought of just turning back for home after about 100 meters :eek: Luckily I kept it going and after 500 meters I was plodding along pain free.

In the end it was a most enjoyable run. It's nice to have such a nice place to run less than a mile from home. Link with pics

Going forward, I have decided not to race tullmore next week. I will used it as part of a MP long run....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

You're moving well Marty, enjoying the sessions in Athenry?

p.s. do you find it hard on the legs running in Salthill all the time? the concrete pavement leaves my legs very tired.

Neady83 wrote: »
    You're moving well Marty, enjoying the sessions in Athenry?

p.s. do you find it hard on the legs running in Salthill all the time? the concrete pavement leaves my legs very tired.

Well hello stranger, how are things with you?? Ya, enjoying them alright. Each one leaves me fairly tired but it is something which was lacking in my running all along, a bit of variation. For to long I've been an 8:30 min mile runner ☺

Also a nice change to be running with others, I'd say I'm coming up near 10,000 miles of running and I'm pretty sure 95% of that was on my tod.

Salthill can be hard on the legs if you do it day after day. I don't find it to bad if the pace is easy and a break between runs there.
    I do it more out of laziness in route picking. More or less even 10 miles all in....

Will I see you at any race in the near future??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

How are things, Marty? Did you say you're going to Tullamore? If so I'll see you there.

snailsong wrote: »
    How are things, Marty? Did you say you're going to Tullamore? If so I'll see you there.

Things not to bad here chief, hows all with you??

Yep, making the trip to tullamore alright, MP long run is the plan, quickly followed with stag beers in Limerick... I'll be in bed by 6pm I'd say :D

You're racing it I take it??
    See you there....

• Advertisement

Trying to race...my Achilles is a bit frigged so we'll see.

Will race afterwards to get back across the Mayo border before the Kerry game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

However your race went I see the match had the desired result :)

Hopefully they'll hold their nerve... Hon mayo ☺

Race was a funny one. I went off way too fast. Tried to follow Pauline Curley, bad idea. Anyway I had to walk a bit before 10k. Walked another bit at a water station at 13k. If I'd looked at the profile of the course I'd have done it different. The last few k were fast. I finished well in 1:26:46 only 5 seconds outside the pb. Limping since though, must get it sorted.

Didn't make a fast enough getaway afterwards so rather than get marooned in Roscommon we took the southern route and pulled in to see the match in Ballinasloe. Good day for Mayo, bad day for my cardiac health.

Monday 21st Aug Rest

Tuesday 22nd Aug 7 miles @7:27
    I was late getting to the club speed session so I didn't want to go straight into speed with no warm up. Opted to do a few MP miles instead, this would at least take the pressure off and allow a small warm up window.
    I got 1 mile in as a warm up the hit the MP miles. Got 6 done in the end.
    7:10, 7:16, 7:12, 7:13, 7:14, 7:07...
    Link
    A bit too fast but a good workout...

Wednesday 23rd Aug Unplanned rest

Thursday 24th Aug 7 miles @ 8:22
    Missed the club run so just did a run about town...

Friday 25th Aug 6 miles @ 8:11
    Short run around town saving a bit for tomorrow...

Saturday 26th Aug 17 miles @ 7:27
    Plan was to run Tullamore half at MP and run a few miles either side.
    After a swift number pick up, I proceeded with a few easy miles. I noticed I was sweating after half a mile was got a bit worried thinking a tough day was ahead!!!! Managed to get 4 miles done before lining out at the start. A quick hello to Ray, Paul and a couple of clubmates and we were all soon off.
    MP miles came in at
    7:18, 7:14, 7:19, 7:17, 7:23, 7:21, 7:13
    7:12, 7:10, 7:18, 7:15, 7:13, 7:07

Generally felt good throughout and was running relaxed taking in the scenery. a bit more effort seemed needed the last couple of miles as I anticipated the finish line but wasn't flogging myself either.
    The finish with a lap of the track was nice and I put in a kick with 200 hundred to go and died with 100 to go :D:D
    I'll say I did that to spur on two lads who I passed to push on and get under 1:35(they passed me before the finish) :D:D:D Link

Very happy with the run and didn't bother with tagging on any more miles. Was to bust after choc milk, fruit, bars ect on offer at the end :pac:

Apart from not having a top in my size(looking for x large, only had medium or smaller left), this is an excellent race.
    Great club feel and plenty of encouragement from enthusiastic marshals. A race where you know that the organisers/volunteers actually care about how the event goes.
    Facilities top notch, plenty of hot showers, ice bath, massages, WU/CD area, parking, the lot....

I think I'll be back on an annual basis. If not to race, another training run.
    Well done Tullamore Harriers....

Sunday 27th Aug 8 miles @ 8:11
    Following a stag night in Limerick, I decided to get a run in before I went home. I knew that if I went home I'd most likely put the feet up for the day and make an excuse later on.
    Happy to get 8 done even though I kinda lost my bearings the last couple of miles. I didn't feel too bad during the run, probably due to the fact the stag night was very tame. I think I was in bed by 11:30 :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

martyboy48 wrote: »

I think I was in bed by 11:30 :eek::eek:

Man, I hate to be the one to say it but .....

That's how you know you're getting old :D

Monday 28th Aug Rest

Tuesday 29th Aug 10 miles @ 7:42
    Decided on another MP run instead of the prescribed club speed session.
    Got there a bit earlier than required to get a decent warm up done, managed 3 miles before starting 6MP miles. MP miles came in at.....
    7:13, 7:17, 7:21, 7:14, 7:13, 7:18. 1 miles cool down.Link
    Getting fairly nervous about my pacing for Berlin. Given GPS issues over there along with inconsistent pacers, I'm gonna have to really stay tuned in....

Wednesday 30 Aug 5 miles @ 9:03
    Recovery run in about town...

Thursday 31 Aug 7 miles @ 7:51
    Missed Club tempo run and was late getting out. In no form for this run.

Friday 01st Sept 10 miles @ 8:09
    General out and back to Salthill. Got a couple of twinges in the left knee. Nothing to bad, just warning shots to make me concentrate a bit more on form I think...

Saturday 02nd Sept 20 miles @ 8:19
    Pulled the long run in a day to free up time for all Ireland. Given the slight knee pain yesterday, I said I'd just put miles in and not push any MP miles. Was muggy enough out there, and even when it rained down from 5 miles onwards, it was still very humid. Majority of the run was in Dangan and there was quiet a few about up there. Quick drink stop just before mile 13 and finished off the run before I got cold.
    Overall very happy with the run. Knee only whimpered once or twice briefly but was fine otherwise. Was fresh enough afterwards considering I did 20 miles... Had to run the final 2 miles topless due to bloody nipples... Happy Days... Link

Sunday 03rd Sept 7 miles @ 8:06
    Few miles after the hurling. Was a lovely run but after 4 miles I noticed/felt trouble in the chest area again :eek::eek: Was sweating a fair bit and with my cheese grater top this was not good :eek: As the back area was dry I decided to wear the top back to front and I was grand for the rest of
    the run :D

So, Galway finally did it :D Great atmosphere around the place and I savoured the good vibes around. I didn't go out drinking for it, stayed at home where the family gathered to watch it with the old man who (a hurler in his day) was delighted with the wins.... It was nice to see him so happy :)
    Just sitting down to a glass of merlot now and relaxing as the final touches need to be ironed out for Berlin :eek: 3 friggin weeks :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey Marty - didn't notice any unusual gps issues in Berlin when I did it, but pacing was a concern for me too. I opted to go with usurping the 5k splits as the main reference point as you can't miss them (timing mats, gantries). If you know your 5k splits and can stick to them you won't go far wrong, especially on the flat course.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hey Marty - didn't notice any unusual gps issues in Berlin when I did it, but pacing was a concern for me too. I opted to go with usurping the 5k splits as the main reference point as you can't miss them (timing mats, gantries). If you know your 5k splits and can stick to them you won't go far wrong, especially on the flat course.

Thanks D, will check it out. In general my pacing isn't too bad once I have the garmin to keep mind at ease :) Could be pre taper panic from my point :D
    How many timing mats are there can you remember out of curiosity??
    10k,20k,half,30k,40k, finish???

Well hello stranger, how are things with you?? Ya, enjoying them alright. Each one leaves me fairly tired but it is something which was lacking in my running all along, a bit of variation. For to long I've been an 8:30 min mile runner ☺

Also a nice change to be running with others, I'd say I'm coming up near 10,000 miles of running and I'm pretty sure 95% of that was on my tod.

Salthill can be hard on the legs if you do it day after day. I don't find it to bad if the pace is easy and a break between runs there.
    I do it more out of laziness in route picking. More or less even 10 miles all in....

Will I see you at any race in the near future??

Clarrinbridge next weekend? I've signed up for the marathon but will drop out after I've my prescribed 20 miles done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks D, will check it out. In general my pacing isn't too bad once I have the garmin to keep mind at ease :) Could be pre taper panic from my point :D
    How many timing mats are there can you remember out of curiosity??
    10k,20k,half,30k,40k, finish???

Every 5k start to finish, plus the halfway poin: see here for an example. ;)

Clarrinbridge next weekend? I've signed up for the marathon but will drop out after I've my prescribed 20 miles done.

Good woman S, you put that in my head and I signed up.... For the half :p
    Bit of a training run, few miles beforehand, see you there so :) You might need to shout at me to get my attention as I'll probably be buried in an English/German phrase book :D
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Every 5k start to finish, plus the halfway poin: see here for an example. ;)

Cheers D, many thanks :)

Monday 04th Sept Rest

Tuesday 05th Sept 11 miles @ 7:40
    Out with the club and did few MP miles instead of full speed session.
    11 miles w 7@MP
    Managed to get there a bit early again and got 4 miles warm up before heading into the MP stuff. MP miles were...
    7:23, 7:21, 7:20, 7:09, 7:13, 7:11, 7:07 Link
    Found it tough going at times, not so bad that I'd pack it in, just more effort than usual seemed to be required...

Wednesday 06th Sept 5 miles @ 9:12
    Late getting out this evening. 5 slow recovery miles about town.
    Nice and relaxed :)

Got the E mail from Berlin marathon with race details and info. Getting real now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

How are you feeling about it Marty? The niggles are okay? The training seems to have been going well too.

Good woman S, you put that in my head and I signed up.... For the half :p
    Bit of a training run, few miles beforehand, see you there so :) You might need to shout at me to get my attention as I'll probably be buried in an English/German phrase book :D
    /QUOTE]

Brilliant, I'll see you there and don''t worry I'll shout loudly at you every time you go past me :)

• Advertisement

Not even a hello as you whizzed by me :(

You were going well .... if that was you int he green top ..... well done :)

Not even a hello as you whizzed by me :(

You were going well .... if that was you int he green top ..... well done :)

My God... I had a sore neck and throat saying hello to everybody trying to recognise a familiar face ☺☺

Was wearing green athenry HM t shirt and blue footwear...
    Hope you had a good run, we'll meet before the start next time ☺

How are you feeling about it Marty? The niggles are okay? The training seems to have been going well too.

All seems to be going in the right direction A, as if everything just fell into place at the last minute.
    20 weeks out from berlin I didn't think I'd make the startline thinking I wouldn't be able to finish it.

18 weeks out I felt I might make it around at a jog. Wasn't confident enough to start an 18 wk plan for fear of trying to hard to hit x pace or y miles....

12 weeks out loose plan in place to up intensity of some of my runs. Club sessions used for tempo and some speed. Gave me confidence glute will hold up.
    Getting Mp mile in as well and feeling comfortable with them.
    Losing some of the excess gut has helped as well :)

About 10 days out now and feeling excited and nervous at the same time... In a good way. Will go out at 3:20 pace and see how it goes....:pac:

Oh, and niggles quiet at the moment.... Touch wood....

Thursday 07th Sept 10 miles @ 7:46
    Missed out on club tempo. Did a salthill 10 miler instead.

Friday 08th Sept 7 miles @ 8:16
    General run in around town. Nothing exciting.....

Saturday 09th Sept Clarinbridge HM training run 13 miles @ 7:31
    Plan 2 @8:30, 2 @8:00, 3 @7:30, 1 @6:50, 3@ 7:30 2CD
    Ended up changing this a bit mid run. When I saw the 6:50 target was missed I went for it again. Silly of me really as I knew in my heart I did hit it but tree cover was interrupting my gps signal throughout this run at stages. On a positive note I was running comfortably throughout, enjoyable run...
    8:30, 8:34, 7:37, 8:04, 7:20, 7:17, 7:28, 6:58, 6:44, 7:25, 7:21, 7:06, 7:27
    Link

Was sorry to have missed out on a natter with Neady, but I couldn't locate her!!!!!! She was hiding in the bushes or something :D:D

Sunday 10th Sept 5 miles @ 9:02
    Recovery run about town

Monday 11th Sept Rest Walk 6 miles @ 15:02 :D
    Link few poor phone pics
    Planned a rest day to day. Found myself sitting on my ass drinking tea and eating vast amounts of biscuits... Was a bit disgusted when I realised how much I had eaten so togged out and went for a decent walk.
    My God it was torture. Give me a run any day. Actually felt fecked after it, sore feet, so put them up again when I got home and had a banana!!!

Tuesday 12th Sept 7 miles @ 8:14
    Nice loop of the city. Cool enough evening with bit of rain :)

Wednesday 13th Sept 10 miles @ 7:45
    Out and back to salthill. Wanted to keep it around the 8:20's but fell into a nice rhythm....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best at the weekend Chief, great to see you back running consistently again. Enjoy the experience & don't go AWOL like Rotterdam!! Run well Marty.

OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best at the weekend Chief, great to see you back running consistently again. Enjoy the experience & don't go AWOL like Rotterdam!! Run well Marty.

Cheers B..... Still getting there. I'd like to keep this momentum going through the winter and have a decent attack at a marathon in the spring but i'll see how I go. I don't want to jink anything :)
    Have my sister and her young lad calling over to Berlin on the Monday to keep me on track, and get me home by Wednesday!!!!!
    Rotterdam was some buzz.... Must get back there again!!!!!!
    Good to see you getting your mojo back as well. You'll be back to your prime in no time:)

Thursday 14th Sept 8 miles @ 7:33
    Tempo Thursday 8-12-14-12-8 (90sec rec)
    Decided to go to club run for this but was not going to go with the above prescribed session. I didn't set anything into the watch and went off effort and non specific recoveries. I just didn't want to overdo anything, especially as tyhis was in the forest and darkness was falling.
    Really enjoyed it, a decent blow out in the end and felt great after it.Link

Friday 15th Sept Rest

Saturday 16th Sept Even more rest

Sunday 17th Sept 10 miles @ 8:00
    Nice trip out to salthill and back of driving range. Lovely day for it :)

Monday Rest... I'm tapering you know :D

Tuesday 18th Sept 7 miles @ 7:54
    Club speed 7w3@MP
    Headed to speed session tonight for a bit of company :) Found it warm this evening, was sweating a bit doing this :eek: Giddy up.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Rotterdam was some buzz.... Must get back there again!!!!!!
    Good to see you getting your mojo back as well. You'll be back to your prime in no time:)

thought you were still there:pac:

All the best on Sunday Chief, Hope it all goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck on Sunday Marty, enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Great stuff! I enjoyed that report. Things looking good for Dublin now.

Advertisement