Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Running Chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best Sunday Marty, hope it goes well. You want to see the stuff the Lemon has been What's Apping me, 'Oh I only have one and a half legs but I'll still beat Marty by 2 mins on Sunday' etc. Shocking stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best Sunday Marty, hope it goes well. You want to see the stuff the Lemon has been What's Apping me, 'Oh I only have one and a half legs but I'll still beat Marty by 2 mins on Sunday' etc. Shocking stuff!!!

LMAO, you're some cross border **** stirrer :)

I'll be noewhere near Marty McFly

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

All the best Sunday Marty, hope it goes well. You want to see the stuff the Lemon has been What's Apping me,

Well now we know that's fake news!! The aul fella wouldn't know a what's app from a bag of skittles :D:D

Best of luck Marty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

LMAO, you're some cross border **** stirrer :)

I'll be noewhere near Marty McFly

TbL

Ha ha, stop C will ya.... I'm well-used to your mind games at this stage ☺

Monday 13/11/2017 Rest

Tuesday 14/11/2017 5.7 miles @ 7:16 (Club Speed)
    Plan for this was 6,5,4,3,6mins with 1 min recoveries.
    Really enjoyed this one. Fell into a nice little group and it kept me motivated
    throughout. It was hard going and the recoveries mainly consisted of 30 sec walk/30 sec jog.
    Pace of reps were 6:21, 6:20, 6:15, 6:06, 6:21 Link

Wednesday 15/11/2017 7.1 miles @ 8:13
    Usual run about town, nothing of note...

Thursday 16/11/2017 10 miles @ 7:47
    10 miler out and back to salthill. Felt good on this one, Few miles around the 7:30-7:35 range Link

Friday 17/11/2017 Rest
    Needed a bit of a rest today... Legs are niggly. Bit of back pain and I think I have a touch of PF.... I'm not one for complaining but my wheezing chest isn't helping things :pac::pac::pac:

Light a candle.......

• Advertisement

Good man Marty, I hope you blew him a kiss if you passed him out, sub 40 to. Great racing Chief.

Good man Marty, I hope you blew him a kiss if you passed him out, sub 40 to. Great racing Chief.

Cheers chief.... After warning TbL to take it easy at the start I proceded to ignore my own advice at saw 5:40 on the watch before pulling back. Hit 5k in 20.02 and was working hard to hang on. At 7k I would have threw in the towel a bit but there was 1 guy with me keeping me honest. I think he was playing games too with his grunts and occasional "Ahh fcuk" out of him but I ignored it and kept plugging away trying not to show weakness.. but I was shattered and hanging on for dear life ☺ He took the lead at about 9k and ever so gradually pulled away meter by meter. I wasn't able to mount any meaningful comeback, I was just trying to keep at it as best I could and hope I didn't leak to much time.
    I thought I was just outside the 40 but was slow to start the watch as the race started rather suddenly..
    Was a sweaty mess afterwards and felt pretty cooked. I'm sure there was steam coming off me as well ☺

Was good to meet up with TbL again. Some man on an outstanding recovery. He still hasn't lost his wit as he proceeded to make fun of a poor elderly woman at the finish... I was mortified ☺

I'll have to up my game even more over the next few weeks as I've a feeling there's a target on my back for the Athenry 10k on st.stephens day ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Good man Marty, flyin it! That a PB?

El Caballo wrote: »
    Good man Marty, flyin it! That a PB?
    Yep, first sub 40.... Got down to about 40:10 - 40:15 mark in 2015 I think it was....
    Most of my pbs were set back then so hoping I'm getting clear of that pesky glute issue that has hampered me on and off since then.. But I'm not counting my chickens.... ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Yep, first sub 40....

Yehaw!! that's brilliant :D well done Marty!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done, Marty. That's a fantastic time and I hear it's not a very fast course. Your improvement is steady and with my disimprovement you could be well ahead of me by Stephens Day. Ill do my best though, see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Superb run Marty. Had a second look at the splits on Strava. Well earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done on the sub 40 Marty, your flying.

Yehaw!! that's brilliant :D well done Marty!!
    denis b wrote: »
    Superb run Marty. Had a second look at the splits on Strava. Well earned.
    Well done on the sub 40 Marty, your flying.

Thanks all, much appreciated :)
    snailsong wrote: »
    Well done, Marty. That's a fantastic time and I hear it's not a very fast course. Your improvement is steady and with my disimprovement you could be well ahead of me by Stephens Day. Ill do my best though, see you there.

Another lad with the mind games :D:D I thought the course was fairly good. Small pull towards the end but everyone was flagging at that point anyway I suppose :)
    I've a feeling I'll be picking up a bronze between myself, yourself and TbL :)

Saturday 18/11/2017 10 miles @ 7:48
    A salthill run. Nothing to note :)

Sunday 19/11/2017 BDN 10k 2017 6.2 miles @ 6:25 :)
    Needed a bit of a tester and the county 10k came at the right time for me. Plan was to run at 40 min pace and see how long I could keep it up. Met TbL at start and both of us indicated goal times 60 sec slower than real target :)

Was hard going towards the end but was please to hit my first sub 40 and come home in 39:59 :D I really thought I'd fade more after hitting 5k in 20:05 I think, and was working hard at that stage.
    On reflection I now think it was a decent result give the poor enough turnout and only having 1 lad around me for the last few k's to keep me at it. I think there is more to give with a bigger field of runners. Happy to pick up team bronze even though it is a bit poor for a county 10k. I'll gladly take it but really to have me as second place on our team and get bronze shows the lack of interest in our county championships... It was a similar story for the HM.
    link

Monday 20/11/2017 Rest

Tuesday 21/11/2017 5.2 miles @ 8:27
    Handy jaunt around town for a look at the big wheel and Crimbo market...

Wednesday 22/11/2017 9.1 miles @ 8:06
    Back to to the rolling hills of Doughiska. Was planning on 10-12 miles but just ran out of time.. Cold out there but felt good.
    Link

Thursday 23/11/2017 6.6 miles @ 8:04
    Short run in around town. Short on time and energy :)

Friday 24/11/2017 Rest

Saturday 25/11/2017 10.2 miles @ 7:42
    Another Salthill run. 10 miles today but I know with a long run tomorrow I need to better structure my weeks running. Seem to be more loaded at the weekend. Fridays rest day was in fact a laziness day :o

Sunday 26/11/2017 18.3 miles @ 8:05
    Was still half thinking of knocking out a 20 miler here to bring me over the 50 mark but as the run went on I realised I shouldn't be going for 20 miles just to hit a number. Settled on 18.3 :)
    Went for a local loop of about 1.6 miles in distance with a couple of short ups and downs. Got blustery towards the end but happy I stuck it out and didn't bale after 10 which briefly entered my head:)
    Felt good after and could have done the 20 if needed... But no need :D

Next weekend will probably be a bit of a disaster so need to front load the week. Have work night out friday night, club handicap 5k run saturday morning(billed as a fun run :eek:) and club Christmas party on the saturday night..... I'm pretty sure that will be the death of me :)

(49.6 miles for the week)

Monday 27/11/2017 7.1 miles @ 8:49
    Bit of an easy/recovery run about town. Legs pretty fatigued after long run.

Tuesday 28/11/2017 7.2 miles @ 8:16
    Same run as yesterday legs grand again. Late getting out though as I kept putting the run off. Need to be more focused and make my runs a priority.

Wednesday 29/11/2017 5.5 miles @ 8:29
    Short run through town. Big crowds around and the Christmas market looked particularly busy. Will try to get in for a look next week :)

Thursday 30/11/2017 Unscheduled Rest Day
    Stuff came up at home so no time for run. Couldn't be helped. Didn't make it to club this week at all.

Friday 01/12/2017 10.1 miles @ 7:24
    Decided on a bit of a tempo run since I did no speed at all this week.
    Planned on 2 mile warm up, 6 @HMP, 2 miles cool down. Did this on my usual salthill route and went well enough.
    6:59, 6:53, 6:52, 6:51, 6:51, 6:57 Link

Saturday 02/12/2017 Rest
    A boozy Friday night had me in a heap so no run today. Didn't even attempt to make the club 5k :eek::eek::D

Sunday 03/12/2017 17.1 miles @ 8:13
    We had our Club Christmas social last night and was out till all hours. Don't know when I got home :o Wasn't feeling the best this morning but wasn't going to miss another run because of booze. Left it till tonight before I went out and all things considered it went ok I guess :)
    Link
    47.3 miles for the week. Not great really and didn't manage to get mileage in early in the week like I had planned. On the plus side most of the Christmas parties are over now, just one or two left :)

Monday 04/12/2017 7.2 miles @ 8:42
    Easy run about town. Legs fairly stiff starting out, and not much better after!!!

Tuesday 05/12/2017 10.1 miles @ 7:40
    Legs felt good after a good sleep and felt good going into this 10 miler out to salthill.
    Started off easy with the first mile at 8:25 before gradually upping the pace to a 7:10 mile 8. Backed off for the last two miles and happy with the run :)

Wednesday 06/12/2017 Rest
    Unforeseen circumstances lead to a non running day... Couldn't be helped....

Thursday 07/12/2017 6.6 miles @ 8:15
    Nothing special, just glad to get out for a general run about town....

Friday 08/12/2017 10.2 miles @ 7:54
    Another general run out to salthill. Aiming for 8min miles and really enjoyed it :)

Saturday 09/12/2017 20.1 miles @ 8:21
    Link
    Decided to pull the long run in a day earlier as I found some time on my hands. Decided to split the run into two. First 10 miles using a local rolling hills loop, followed by the 10 mile Salthill route which is fairly flat. Really surprised by how this went. Even though the pace wasn't to hectic, I would usually be fairly tired after any 20 miler. After this one however, I felt absolutely fine. As if I just did an easy 5 miler.... Strange feeling but I hope I'm not putting a jinx on it, but feeling good :D

Sunday 10/12/2017 7.4 miles @ 8:51
    Easy/recovery run about town.... Prevention more than anything else :)

61.8 miles for the week. A decent improvement and biggest mileage since mid August. Hoping to maintain this kind of mileage while gradually increasing some intensity. Missed club runs again this week but hoping to get back to it next week....

Monday 11/12/2017 7.3 miles @ 8:26
    Another easy one about town, legs were still a bit lifeless...

Tuesday 12/12/2017 10.1 miles @ 7:52
    Steady run via salthill, legs a lot better today...

Wednesday 13/12/2017 7.1 miles @ 8:22
    Easy about town.

Thursday 14/12/2017 Rest

Friday 15/12/2017 10.1 miles @ 7:19
    Nice little run to salthill. Legs felt good after the rest and managed 7@7:10 paceLink

Saturday 16/12/2017 3.1miles @ 6:51
    17miles @ 8:19
    Decided to make my first visit to the Oranmore parkrun for this run. Knew it wasn't a PB course which was grand as I didn't want to be enticed into an all-out effort. Just wanted a pacey run without flogging myself as I had planned on continuing running after for my long run. My God I found the run tough :D Every climb seemed to be a huge effort and paced was dropping to near 8min/miles at times :) I'll put the high effort to not being fully warmed up, was actually still cold starting out :) Met Pgarr afterwards as he was volunteering as usual. Didn't get much time to chat this time round as I wanted to keep going while I was warm but will be back in future and will go for the post run coffee.
    Oranmore Parkrun

Part 2.....
    Continued on like billy no mates and repeated the course several times to rack up another 17 miles to make it 20 for the day. All those little climbs gradually took it out of me as I felt like I was fading a lot towards the end of the run. Form was fairly bad at the end while climbing and it was more like a shuffle upwards :) Happy to get it done before venturing out that night for more work beers.... Didn't overdo it though :)
    Long Run

Sunday 17/12/2017 7.2 miles @ 9:00
    Recovery run. Glutes a bit sore, hamstrings bit sore, quads the same :)

62.7 miles for the week....

Monday 18/12/2017 Rest
    Body improving but still tender. Precautionary rest day.......

Monday 18/12/2017 Rest

Tuesday 19/12/2017 4.6 miles @ 7:27 Club speed
    Light speed session and I made it even lighter :D Was late getting down there
    so took it relatively handy starting off anyway. Session was 6x4mins of 60 secs...
    Didn't set the watch so just went with the whistle. Although I found it grand, it's a bit of a waste of time going out if I'm late like that. I'd have been better served doing it on my own after a decent warm up ect. The fact it was the last of the year prompted me to
    get down anyways...Link

Wednesday 20/12/2017 6.6 miles @ 8:19
    Easy run about town....

Thursday 21/12/2017 6.8 miles @ 7:54
    Watch went a bit gaga on this run so had to restart after 2.8 miles. Don't know what happened but didn't lose any of the run which is the most important thing :D

Friday 22/12/2017 10.1 miles @ 7:49
    A run out to salthill... A slight bit more effort but enjoyable all the same....

Saturday 23/12/2017 7.1 miles @ 8:50
    Recovery run about town. Legs weren't to bad but with a long run coming up I didn't want to be tempted into anything faster....

Sunday 24/12/2017 19.5 miles @ 8:27
    Christmas eve long run of 20 miles planned. Spot the childless singleton :D:D
    Headed out towards dangan for this. 4 miles out and 4 back left me with 16 to do out there. This was one wet miserable run :) It didn't stop raining for the entire duration and there wasn't a sinner out....Link

Still though, I was glad to get it done and felt good throughout. Noticed I spend a lot of time talking out loud to the wildlife when I'm on my own. Bit like Dr Dolittle... Well how do you do Mr Magpie ect ect.... Mad Marty might stick although party Marty is right up there with bells on :D:D

Was toying with the idea of trying to belt out a fast mile tomorrow for the goal mile, but with the Athenry 10k on Tuesday I better pass. Will probably take a rest day or just few handy miles...

Merry Christmas everyone, peace and goodwill to all..... :)

All the best tomorrow in the Fields Marty, give it loads & run well.

• Advertisement

All the best tomorrow in the Fields Marty, give it loads & run well.

Thanks B, delighted and surprised with a 39:58, a 1 second PB from last
    month :D:D ....

Good to meet up with the two legends, Snailsong and TbL....
    In hindsight, I think I'd be fooked only for course knowledge. Knew I'd be fooked unless I'd capitalise on the last fast 800 meter downhill :)

A tough 1k to start followed by a couple of small up and downs... Second half on paper seemed a bit more easy which it was to an extent....
    Was touch and go into the last K and I tried to open up. Wrecked by willing.... Managed to cross the line in 39:58 for a 1 sec PB from last month which I'll gladly take :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Congrats on the PB! Every second counts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Good to see you again, Marty. Congrats on the pb. That's a great run consider g that you didn't target this or do any specific preparation. Great times ahead in 2018.

Monday 25/12/2017 6.2 miles @ 8:44
    Easy/recovery run around the city.....

Tuesday 26/12/2017 Fields of Athenry 10k 2017 6.2 miles @ 6:26
    2.5 mile warm up followed by the final race of 2017
    Tough as it should be and enjoyable once I caught my breath afterwards. A 1 second by from previous month so a result :)
    Fields of Athenry 10k

Wednesday 27/12/2017 Rest

Thursday 28/12/2017 10.1 miles @ 8:13
    Usual run along salthill prom....

Friday 29/12/2017 12.1 miles @ 8:12
    Extended salthill run.... Steady enough....

Saturday 30/12/2017 15 miles @ 8:10 approx
    Low battery warning so saved this run in two stages for fear of loosing data :D:D
    11 miles @ 8:14, 4.1 miles @ 8:05

Sunday 31/12/2017 5.1 miles @ 7:46
    Finished of the week with a short 5 miler.

57.6 miles for the week, 2,107 miles for the year.

Plan on kicking off 2018 with 5k race in the morning.
    Party Marty mode is now officially on the back burner and hoping for a good 2018.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Happy new year. Hope the 5k gets you off to a good start to 2018 :)

Best of luck in the morning, Happy New Year to you. And long live Party Marty!!!!!

Monday 01/01/2018 Resolution Run 5k 19:26
    Surprised and delighted to see a new route for this run. Only found out about the change when I got there.
    Canal and shop street section taken out and replaced with stretch along grattan park. Flatter and more runner friendly route which I was happy about as this was the run that I fecked up my hand and was out of work for 3 weeks 3 years ago!!!!

Ran well enough I think, was flagging a bit with a mile to go but dug in. Some Dublin Wan passed me with about 300 to go and I hadn't the balls to take her on :D:D

Happy with the effort for first day of year though :) 3.5 mile WU, 2.5 mile CD= 9.1 miles
    Resolution Run

Tuesday 02/01/2018 Rest
    Floods and sore throat... Sat on couch for the evening....

Wednesday 03/01/2018 5.2 miles @ 8:32
    Still feeling a bit rough but said I'd make the effort. "Easy" effort was to much of an effort. This run was a struggle....

Thursday 04/01/2018 Rest/sick
    Throat/chest....... Gonna take couple days off....

Might try Tuam 8k end of month......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

National Master XC is on Tuam by the way. Just sayin.

adrian522 wrote: »
    National Master XC is on Tuam by the way. Just sayin.

Can anyone enter those?? Any qualifying time/criteria ect.... Never entered XC before..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Can anyone enter those?? Any qualifying time/criteria ect.... Never entered XC before..

If you're in a club and auld yep:). You need to go your club captain or secretary to enter as they put the registration through to AI.

Advertisement