Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is middle class?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Of course. I don't believe it has ever been insinuated differently?

No but many people present the class system as having a basis in reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

We're the ones that pay most of the income tax. :)

Have never understood why anyone would aspire to be working class.

Is that all there is to being middle class,paying your income tax?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

wazky wrote: »
    I never understood the term working class, it is usually used to describe people who are not working?

That is because the term came about in the 19th century to describe people who actually worked manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

steddyeddy wrote: »
    No but many people present the class system as having a basis in reality.
    Of course it does. People's perceptions of you and their reactions as a result of this definitely affect reality.

Let me give you an example, two college graduates are called to interview for an entry level accounting job at a large firm. They both went to the same college and have the exact same degree. One of them comes from Ballymun and despite years in college never managed to shake off the accent. The other comes from a comfortable though not extravagant home in Foxrock.

Who is more likely to get the job? That's the reality of class in Ireland.

Of course it does. People's perceptions of you and their reactions as a result of this definitely affect reality.

Let me give you an example, two college graduates are called for interview for an entry level accounting job at a large firm. They both went to the same college and have the exact same degree. One of them comes from Ballymun and despite years in college never managed to shake off the accent. The other comes from a comfortable though not extravagant home in Foxrock.

Who is more likely to get the job?

Science graduates for instance? I can promise 100% in science area of birth makes no difference what so ever. I am living proof of that and have went a lot farther than people from well off areas.

• Advertisement

Science graduates for instance? I can promise 100% in science area of birth makes no difference what so ever. I am living proof of that and have went a lot farther than people from well off areas.
    No you can't.

If you went farther than people from well off areas congratulations, you've done very well for yourself but don't fall into the trap of thinking people aren't discriminated against for the way talk.

No you can't.

If you went farther than people from well off areas congratulations, you've done very well for yourself but don't fall into the trap of thinking people aren't discriminated against for the way talk.

People who get in a position where they interview people for science jobs say cannot be thick enough to act on prejudice. If you hire someone to work in your lab on the basis of their accent you will be shooting yourself in the foot. It's too technical to act on superstition about accents.

Would you discriminate based on an accent?

By the way Iwasfrozen your post implies that prejudice based on perceived class is real and not class itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I don't agree something of a class system (more from a cultural than economic perspective seeing as lots of middle-class people are poor) is in the imagination. Working-class people would acknowledge it exists - it's not a looking-down-on thing simply to acknowledge its existence.

Magaggie wrote: »
    I don't agree something of a class system (more from a cultural than economic perspective seeing as lots of middle-class people are poor) is in the imagination. Working-class people would acknowledge it exists - it's not a looking-down-on thing simply to acknowledge its existence.

Well I would certainly have my views on it. I think class is earned though. I mean some people are saying people are born middle class. Totally incorrect. You are what you do. Some people think that if you are born to a working class family you will not be working class even if you become a pilot ect. The same people usually think that someone born to middle class professionals is middle class even if they do feck all in life and live of their parents.

My mate was born to a working class family and since the age of 16 worked towards becoming a pilot. The absolute legend of a man got his private licence then his commercial and now works as a pilot. He was always middle class despite where he came from or his parent's working class professions. Some people would say he isn't because he was born to a working class family. That doesn't make sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Well I would certainly have my views on it. I think class is earned though. I mean some people are saying people are born middle class. Totally incorrect. You are what you do. Some people think that if you are born to a working class family you will not be working class even if you become a pilot ect. The same people usually think that someone born to middle class professionals is middle class even if they do feck all in life and live of their parents.

My mate was born to a working class family and since the age of 16 worked towards becoming a pilot. The absolute legend of a man got his private licence then his commercial and now works as a pilot. He was always middle class despite where he came from or his parent's working class professions. Some people would say he isn't because he was born to a working class family. That doesn't make sense to me.

The issue here is in your mind you associate "working class" with being something bad and "middle class" as being better. They are just terms, get over it.

People who get in a position where they interview people for science jobs say cannot be thick enough to act on prejudice. If you hire someone to work in your lab on the basis of their accent you will be shooting yourself in the foot. It's too technical to act on superstition about accents.

Would you discriminate based on an accent?
    You're making the assumption that an educated person cannot be prejudiced, that's simply not true.

No, but then I don't come from a privileged background either so I would actually be more inclined to look favourably on a person trying to improve their lot. Which I suppose is a form of prejudice in itself.

Macavity. wrote: »
    The issue here is in your mind you associate "working class" with being something bad and "middle class" as being better. They are just terms, get over it.

No I don't. Where did I say that? I actually associated them both with being constructs and having no defined meaning.

You're making the assumption that an educated person cannot be prejudiced, that's simply not true.

No, but then I don't come from a privileged background either so I would actually be more inclined to look favourably on a person trying to improve their lot. Which I suppose is a form of prejudice in itself.

True. My ex boss wouldn't hire someone from private schools. Yes before anyone says anything he was an absolute scum-bag for doing so.

No I don't. Where did I say that? I actually associated them both with being constructs and having no defined meaning.

It's implied in the post I quoted.

It's implied in the post I quoted.

All in your mind dude.

All in your mind dude.

Re-read what you posted, then answer my question from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Agricola wrote: »
    Middle class - handy number, plenty of perks, status.

Working class - losing the will to live everyday and/or breaking your back.

That's it to a T!

Re-read what you posted, then answer my question from yesterday.

I did before posting. My post was in relation to the class system itself. I was making the point that if a system is based on something logical then the criteria for classification would at least be consistent. I.E someone from a working class job to a middle class one should be viewed by their current job and not their starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

In Ireland it's probably a mindset.

I come from pretty regular background. In terms of class probably working.
    Parents ran a pub in London in 70's. 4 of us born there.
    All moved home in the 80's. Dad truck driver, Mum factory worker.
    All of us are qualified to third level.
    Two of us have masters.
    All four of us do ok..not minted but comfortable. No one in negative equity more by luck than good guidance.

I would never class myself as middle class. I am working class. I work, I get paid. I am nice to people.

• Advertisement

W123-80's wrote: »
    I would never class myself as middle class. I am working class. I work, I get paid. I am nice to people.
    Yes, the above could only be working-class and not middle-class. :confused:

Lux23 wrote: »
    That's it to a T!
    Working-class people are losing the will to live everyday? I would say that's hyperbole, not anything to a T.

Yeh I guess when you're talking about that particular context, it's really up to the person themselves how they define who they are in terms of "class" (if they want to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Middle class is getting a dessert after having a sit in big mac looking out at the people in their cars having their drive through €2 menu deals.

True. My ex boss wouldn't hire someone from private schools. Yes before anyone says anything he was an absolute scum-bag for doing so.
    Not that I would never hire someone from a private school, but I do have sympathy (let's say a soft spot) for people who are genuinely trying to raise their station in life because I've been there and I know from experience it means so much when just one person cuts you some slack and gives you an opportunity.

Not that I would never hire someone from a private school, but I do have sympathy (let's say a soft spot) for people who are genuinely trying to raise their station in life because I've been there and I know from experience it means so much when just one person cuts you some slack.

Yes I would be the same so I guess I am prejudice. All it takes is one person to see the talent in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

"Middle Class" is just a term people use to big themselves up.
    I know long termed unemployed people on the dole state they are "middle class" (for the record I am also on the dole too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

W123-80's wrote: »
    In Ireland it's probably a mindset.

I come from pretty regular background. In terms of class probably working.
    Parents ran a pub in London in 70's. 4 of us born there.
    All moved home in the 80's. Dad truck driver, Mum factory worker.
    All of us are qualified to third level.
    Two of us have masters.
    All four of us do ok..not minted but comfortable. No one in negative equity more by luck than good guidance.

Middle class to me is anyone who doesn't have to get their hands dirty.
    Upper class is the gentry. Landlords. Living off the sweat of their tenants.
    Working class are the tenants.

Advertisement