Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Gave me a laugh anyway! :pac: Just imagined rabbits sitting down with glasses on filling in a census form.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

lckid wrote: »
    Spent the last ten minutes trying to think of something so in the end I just threw down

''rabbit census''. It should give the corrector a laugh more than anything..

Id give you the marks if I was a sound examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

lckid wrote: »
    Spent the last ten minutes trying to think of something so in the end I just threw down

''rabbit census''. It should give the corrector a laugh more than anything..
    I did capture recapture method :P
    Started with , dig a giant hole ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chatterbox!

Shane15 wrote: »
    Ugh I thought it was similar to the definition of a phenotype. That was not my paper.

I said similar- damn it

Going on boards after my exams is the worst idea it always makes me so self conscious!! I come out thinkin I did great but then reality hits me on here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 oisin097

If you said part (a) of genetics was sex linked and then done out sex linkage diagrams for (b) would you lose a lot of marks?

mirrors wrote: »
    I said quantitative stidy

It's obviously quantitative .
    They said describe I think not name .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

I am confused now... So was that sex linkage or not? Q10.

I can't remember what I said.

Also, a harmful member of monera? you could have used any harmful bacteria right?

Also what's the use of storing atp? Gosh, I feel like I am going to become a D student. I haven't gotten less than an A2 in this subject before. Omg

:/ the more I think about it the more I realise that I might have made.mistakes. or I could just genuinely be stressing for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It's obviously quantitative .
    They said describe I think not name .

I said quantiative via use of a non letal trap such, is that the same as capture recapture?

Badwulf wrote: »
    I said quantiative via use of a non letal trap such, is that the same as capture recapture?

I think both of them would get you marks but Im not 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Badwulf wrote: »

Yeah and I also said rabbit traps, hopefully they exist!

mirrors wrote: »
    Yeah and I also said rabbit traps, hopefully they exist!

I said dig a giant cryptozic trap for rabbits and Then did capture recapture :P

I am confused now... So was that sex linkage or not? Q10.

I can't remember what I said.

Also, a harmful member of monera? you could have used any harmful bacteria right?

Also what's the use of storing atp? Gosh, I feel like I am going to become a D student. I haven't gotten less than an A2 in this subject before. Omg

:/ the more I think about it the more I realise that I might have made.mistakes. or I could just genuinely be stressing for no reason.

Sex linkage means on x or Y chromosome . In the diagram they were only there for identifying gender .it was male .
    The alleles weren't on the x or Y chromosome . Hope this clears things up

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

wanderlost wrote: »
    What did everyone write for a method of estimating rabbit population in an ecosystem? I wrote some ****e about DNA testing rabbit faeces...

Capture Recapture!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ShoePolish

Name the molecule, formed from DNA, which carries the instruction to manufacture these biomolecules?

ShoePolish wrote: »
    Name the molecule, formed from DNA, which carries the instruction to manufacture these biomolecules?

mRNA Id say :P

The question is phrased badly though, the 'formed from DNA' part threw me :L

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ShoePolish

I said RNA.... hmmmm, do you think I'd get the marks?

Seem to be the only person who didnt try that DNA question :p

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Sex linkage means on x or Y chromosome . In the diagram they were only there for identifying gender .it was male .
    The alleles weren't on the x or Y chromosome . Hope this clears things up

Perfect. :D thank you. I was just looking over the comments here and one of the comment just made me self-conscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

aleatorio wrote: »
    mRNA Id say :P

The question is phrased badly though, the 'formed from DNA' part threw me :L

I said mRna too.... Then scribbled it out and wrote chromosomes..... I did extra questions luckliy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I said that too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Seem to be the only person who didnt try that DNA question :p

I didnt either! .. couldnt think of the biomolecule found in meat :rolleyes: and i do home ec! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Missjoan95

Pretty Ironic they forgot the 's' in Alzheimers . Loved how there was no respiration & photosynthesis but other than that it was not an easy paper

For the question 'Suggest two methods of cross pollination' I said Insects and Humans.. didnt think of saying wind, would Humans be accepted? Like I said something along the lines of how they can cross pollinate plants artificially :/

aleatorio wrote: »
    For the question 'Suggest two methods of cross pollination' I said Insects and Humans.. didnt think of saying wind, would Humans be accepted? Like I said something along the lines of how they can cross pollinate plants artificially :/

I think animals and wind and insect would have been right. Did you put animals in bracket after human? That would get you the mark if you did. :)

I dont get what people found so hard about that paper there were some very easy questions like that one about alzheimers and rabbit populations

I think animals and wind and insect would have been right. Did you put animals in bracket after human? That would get you the mark if you did. :)

I dont know I dont think so :( Ah well, only 3ish marks :pac:

I did every single question so heres to hoping I got full marks in a few :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Laylaxx

I thought that DNA Q was horrible! But I'm shocking at plants so I had to do it :( After reading this thread I'd say I got about 0 marks for it, think I can wave collage bye bye after that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

For the question where it asked how to test for alcohol, I said

'use a chemical and if it goes orange it's alcohol'

-. - sums up my entire biology paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

To get compound microscope power you just multiply the powers of the lenses, so all you had to do was divide 0.8 by 400 = 0.002 mm, yeah. Even if you don't bring your calculator, you can do it in your head grand if you split it up and say 0.8 divided by 4 = 0.2, divided by 100 = 0.002.

At first I thought the circulatory thingie was hard to read, but I figured since the high pressure of the arteries is what makes the tissue fluid kind of leak out that it was A. And the thing with the valves was going into the tissue fluid so I'd say it was defo a lymphatic thing. I said lymphatic duct, should've said lymphatic vessel to be more safe really but wfigmgem

And once you narrow it down that far, the vessel down the other side of the capillary has got to be a vein. I found the fact that there were valves on the other thing a bit offputting, but I'm pretty sure that's how it was.
    oncex wrote: »
    Answer the following questions in relation to carbon dioxide.
    (i) Name a structure found in cells in which carbon dioxide is produced.
    (ii) Give a feature of a capillary which allows the rapid uptake of carbon dioxide.
    (iii) Carbon dioxide levels are usually higher in venous blood than in arterial blood.
    Why is this the case?
    (iv) Name a blood vessel which is an exception to the situation outlined in (iii) above.
    Give a reason for the exception.
    (v) Briefly outline the role of carbon dioxide in the control of the human breathing rate

help :)

This is roughly what I said:

(i) Wasn't sure about this one. I guessed mitochondria, best fit I could think of
    (ii) Again not sure but I said the fact that they are only one cell thick
    (iii) Because veins are bringing the blood back to the heart after the arteries have already gone all round the body exchanging oxygen for carbon dioxide, so by the time the blood gets to the veins it's all deoxygenated and full of CO2
    (iv) Pulmonary Vein, because it only does a little circuit from the lungs to the heart and aorta, after the pulmonary artery takes the blood to the lungs to oxygenate it again. So it's freshly oxygenated and hasn't done any exchanging around the body yet
    (v) Increased levels of CO2 in the blood form carbonic acid, which changes the blood's pH a bit. The brain takes this as a sign to increase the breathing rate to decrease the amount of CO2 and regain normal pH

Advertisement