Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scallway

The last part of question 10?? Weird paper overall..

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    What was the xy not being the same as the sex of cattle .
    I was thinking hermaprohdites so I said humans . If anyone knows the answer it would be great . It's bugging me .

Butterfly or moth, apparently not actually on syllabus though!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

I underlined genetic profiling so maybe? ugh....
    :(

I doubt they will mark it strict because it's a fairly controversial one, don't worry about t it's done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

oncex wrote: »
    what did ye get for 8 (a)ii ??

I just multiplied them all, so 10*40*0.8 = 320mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

siobhaanx wrote: »
    This is the stupidest question, but what is the function of a coverslip?

I said to protect the sample

• Advertisement

Mario95 wrote: »

It was 0.8/400 because the magnified image was 0.8 so the real cell would be smaller!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

BunchOfDna wrote: »
    AM I the only one who found that paper soo hard?? (higher)...no photosynthesis and no respiration... what was that? :// downer
    Worst exam I've ever sat, that's all the stuff I've concentrated on for the past two months!:(

aleatorio wrote: »
    It was 0.8/400 because the magnified image was 0.8 so the real cell would be smaller!

ooh yeah. I dont know what I was thinking. I hope it isnt worth too many marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

oncex wrote: »
    what did ye get for 8 (a)ii ??

1/500

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

I thought that was fair paper. now that I am done with the exam I am pretty sure I made stupid mistakes. Hopefully not so stupid to loose an A1.

Q 10 last part -the feck was that? I said humans. But my teacher said that it might have been MALE organism. :/ but I don't get it.
    And also, what's gene expression exactly? I think I bluffed my way through it.

ah the particle thingy in q 11 b. I said nerve impulse but I am pretty certain now that it was ions. (only remembered it after giving up the paper.) :"(

Cerebrum; learning, reading, memory?

Part c with Alzheimer's disease what was the reason more people have it? I said that due to increasing population the genes for the disease might have been passed on to the next generation. And certain drug used which affect the nervous system :/

Also short question: what cell structure do fungi have that animals don't have? I said cell wall however I crossed it out, and instead I said chitin. :/ and I think chitin is in some crustaceans? Like lobsters? :"(

Other than that I did every single question in the paper. :D & thought it was a good paper. Perhaps a bit weird since they try to examine the whole course in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

I said to protect the sample

That's what I said! Thought there might have been some other more scientific reason

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I had that much out but stupid me forgot a calculator so I got out like .0003something?

The original cell was 320mm? That's one big cell!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

That was far more like a chemistry exam in its applied nature, really went back to fundamentals rather than specifics.

What was the limit to scientific method?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Butterfly or moth, apparently not actually on syllabus though!

I said mule hahaha but how would they expect us to know? I've never seen that, they can hardly mark that like :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LeavingCertee

That's what I said! Thought there might have been some other more scientific reason

Preventing the sample from drying out is usually accepted too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

I misread that question. I said "to prevent air bubbles." Stupid mind. But in the previous part of that question I said that cover slip was placed to prevent the objective lens from becoming stained due to the methylene blue. But I guess I won't get the marks since I said it at the wrong question. :/
    mirrors wrote: »

Accidental.discoveries, ethical issues, interpretation of results etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LCMATHS

Photosynthesis and human reproduction have come up more or less every year, so to not see them (after having put a good bit of work into them) was a big surprise, also respiration made no notable appearance which is another section I put alot of work into. Whole thing was also littered with them nasty plants we all know (or rather don't) and hate, that being said they made up for it with the experiment questions, which I thought were pretty easy. Overall i'm happy, but can definitely see why some would consider it a nasty paper

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Thought it was grand overall! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 kittycat94

any ol biology????

I said human error idk XD
    peekachoo wrote: »
    I had that much out but stupid me forgot a calculator so I got out like .0003something?

Yeah I did it by hand as well, it was 0.002 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Over all i'm quite happy with that!
    Lots of waffling answers rather than dead straight facts, i had the whole course covered so i wasn't too worried anyway!
    I taught myself biology because my teacher is sh*t, and i think i did a pretty good job!
    I got 83% in the mocks so i'm hoping to push that up to an A and i think that's possible with the exam today!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Louiseh714

For the ions q I said potassium ions which is right but also I said calcium ions which is wrong, do you think they would take marks off even though I had the right one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You think a cells 3.2cm long? Bit big dont you think :pac:
    I did 10x40/ 0.8 and got some tiny little number which youd expect for a cell diameter haha
    Amoeba :)

omg i guessed that I had no clue, so happy
    I thought that was fair paper. now that I am done with the exam I am pretty sure I made stupid mistakes. Hopefully not so stupid to loose an A1.

Q 10 last part -the feck was that? I said humans. But my teacher said that it might have been MALE organism. :/ but I don't get it.
    And also, what's gene expression exactly? I think I bluffed my way through it.

ah the particle thingy in q 11 b. I said nerve impulse but I am pretty certain now that it was ions. (only remembered it after giving up the paper.) :"(

Cerebrum; learning, reading, memory?

Part c with Alzheimer's disease what was the reason more people have it? I said that due to increasing population the genes for the disease might have been passed on to the next generation. And certain drug used which affect the nervous system :/

Also short question: what cell structure do fungi have that animals don't have? I said cell wall however I crossed it out, and instead I said chitin. :/ and I think chitin is in some crustaceans? Like lobsters? :"(

Other than that I did every single question in the paper. :D & thought it was a good paper. Perhaps a bit weird since they try to examine the whole course in a way.
    For the alzheimers question I said healthcare was getting better and people are living longer and so there are more elderly people in the world, and seeing as alzheimers affects the elderly it would make sense that thered be more alzheimers cases I hope its right :(

I vaguely remembered it from my flashcards:p I said that you need to ask questions in order to gain information and so if we dont ask the right questions we cannot further our knowledge

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That paper was w@nk to be honest.

No genetic cross, no photosynthesis, no respiration in sec C, no IAA experiment, no human reproduction

Spent the last week learning study of the ecosystem, human rep, immunity, viruses, bacteria and a host of experiments that didn't come up :/

History be nice tomorrow please (alarm set for 5:45)

What happens if you put down two answers for a question but ones right and ones wrong?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You think a cells 3.2cm long? Bit big dont you think :pac:
    I did 10x40/ 0.8 and got some tiny little number which youd expect for a cell diameter haha

I kind of thought it was the other way... calculating the image size from the cell size.

Dividing 40*10 by 8 wouldn't really make sense. You should be scaling down the cell size, not the magnification.

I kind of thought it was the other way... calculating the image size from the cell size.

Dividing 40*10 by 8 wouldn't really make sense. You should be scaling down the cell size, not the magnification.

Yeah true I do really stupid things during examssss

Did anyone else find that capillary diagram really hard to read??
    Had no clue what they were ponting at for C. I said lumen, but I really wasnt sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 oisin097

Was the genetics question sex linked or not? I said it was (diagram was confusing) and I have teachers are saying it both is and isn't? I then drew sex linkage diagrams for the second part so I'm worried I could have lost aload of marks :/

Advertisement