Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

BlueCat01 wrote: »
    Did anyone get the answer to this?

Name a group of organisms in which the XY chromosome pair gives rise to a different sex than in cattle.

I said seahorse but not sure

not on the course apparently. Answer was butterflies

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BlueCat01

I was just wondering! I was wrecking my brain through that exam for an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

Totally avoidable Plants and non-existant Human Rep, lots of Blood and Heart goodness and I still can't believe the Microscope exp. This paper was so tailored to my needs that I just wanna hug whoever made it. But now...on to le francais.

BlueCat01 wrote: »
    I was just wondering! I was wrecking my brain through that exam for an answer

Yeah I was so unsure i was thinking that mabye female angus cattle were XY :S

In the end I made a slightly un educated guess of 'fish'.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

XtotheZ wrote: »
    not on the course apparently. Answer was butterflies
    Hey you could have said humans or am I wrong?
    Fiske wrote: »
    Totally avoidable Plants and non-existant Human Rep, lots of Blood and Heart goodness and I still can't believe the Microscope exp. This paper was so tailored to my needs that I just wanna hug whoever made it. But now...on to le francais.

Very true.Those Who made this paper deserve a round of applause in my opinion:D.How easy could it get with that breathing question(long q).

• Advertisement

LmnadZ wrote: »

Nah, XY is male in humans as well.

I guessed seahorses but I'm pretty sure the XYs are male there too, it's just that the males get preggers. Never knew that about butterflies at all, that's my fact for the day :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

LmnadZ wrote: »

Human males have XY chromosomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Would you mind expanding on this please? I wrote something and I want to know if it's similar to what I said thanks :)

Capture animals, mark them in a way that doesnt hurt them or make vulnerable to prey. Let them go. Come back a few days later and catch the same number of animals again. Count the ones that have a mark from the first time you caught them.
    Number of animals caught first time x number of animals caught second time divided by number of animals caught second time who were marked first time = estimated population
    Hope I helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Fiske wrote: »
    Nah, XY is male in humans as well.

I guessed seahorses but I'm pretty sure the XYs are male there too, it's just that the males get preggers. Never knew that about butterflies at all, that's my fact for the day :D

Oh thx guys read the Q wrong oh we'll there is some marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

If I just said a quantative survey and talked about capturing the animals by non lethal means and counting them would I get marks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 alanwutrudoing

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

The answer was butterflies </3 I just randomly put down bacteria?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brensthehen

kates339 wrote: »
    I did!! Thankfully someone else :o did the plant cell experiment instead of animal :(:( only realised when i came out!

not really sure how to use this ! but my god it was truely sick! awh no that's Awful! i tell yah i think i have brought rambleing in a biology exam to a whole new level ahhaha!

BpysNRMIMAATZH0.png

Few more marks??

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

BpysNRMIMAATZH0.png

Few more marks??

If you've managed to live for 18 years and not know that memory loss is a symptom of Alzheimer's you need to get your own head checked

MegGustaa wrote: »
    If you've managed to live for 18 years and not know that memory loss is a symptom of Alzheimer's you need to get your own head checked

Completely agree but I can see where there coming from

Yeah the Alz bit of that question was mostly common sense from what I saw and the little bone bit was really nice in fairness, only reason I didn't do the Q is because of that bit about neurons and stuff in the middle which I hadn't got to revise.

Completly agree with the diagram! at first I thought it was a foot then when I turned it side ways it looked like a flexed bisep then upside down it looked like a guy kneeling and DAMMIT

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

u mad? If it really is so obvious then why put in on HL Biology????
    I had no idea what Alzheimer's was, and asking that was't fair.

I assumed its Parkinson's since it was the only one in the book.
    They are asking whatever they want, they don't care about the students... they are some incompetent lazy retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ace_Ace

Okaay im probably totally stupid for asking this but was the first experiment on germination or digestion? It seemed like digestion although it said germination..?

Ace_Ace wrote: »
    Okaay im probably totally stupid for asking this but was the first experiment on germination or digestion? It seemed like digestion although it said germination..?

It was germination in seeds, wasn't it? The one where you put one in the freezer, one without water, one without...I don't know, I didn't revise plants at all xD But I think that's what it was.

edit: nope I'm full of sh*te it was germination first and then digestion for the rest xD

• Advertisement

digestion... I hope??????

It was digestion, the first part of the question was all about germination, then the rest was digestion

what was the neutrient medium? It was something I heard before the exam but couldnt remember. Not agar

Mario95 wrote: »
    u mad? If it really is so obvious then why put in on HL Biology????
    I had no idea what Alzheimer's was, and asking that was't fair.

There is an expectation that as a student of Biology you have a certain general knowledge about common disorders. Alzheimer's is a very well-known illness, most people would know it has something to do with memory loss at the very least.

I know strictly speaking they shouldn't put stuff on the paper that isn't on the course but, unlike that XY question that was very obscure, Alzheimer's sort of falls into that general knowledge realm. I think it was fair enough.

Badwulf wrote: »
    It was digestion, the first part of the question was all about germination, then the rest was digestion

Yeah thats what i thought, it was very amibiguously phrased though..

what was the neutrient medium? It was something I heard before the exam but couldnt remember. Not agar

I said Agar for the medium and Starch for the substance added to it. We used Starch Agar plates for this experiment in school so...

Malt extract agar i think

Malt extract agar i think

I said skimmed milk agar and yes i just googled it and its a real thing.

Yeah i said i added starch but didnt really have a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭krisfoster8

Not a bad paper overall I thought, just a different type of paper than we're used to.. What did yous get for this?

"Suggest what could happen to biological diversity as the human population continues to increase?"

• Advertisement

There is an expectation that as a student of Biology you have a certain general knowledge about common disorders. Alzheimer's is a very well-known illness, most people would know it has something to do with memory loss at the very least.

I know strictly speaking they shouldn't put stuff on the paper that isn't on the course but, unlike that XY question that was very obscure, Alzheimer's sort of falls into that general knowledge realm. I think it was fair enough.

Just because you think the signs of Alzheimer's are general knowledge it doesn't mean everyone knows it? Do you know the signs of Tardive Dyskinesia? You should because its common sense in my opinion.

Advertisement