Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Is it possible the paper was so hard that they will make everyone automatically pass? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

bb1234567 wrote: »
    For the alzheimers question I said healthcare was getting better and people are living longer and so there are more elderly people in the world, and seeing as alzheimers affects the elderly it would make sense that thered be more alzheimers cases I hope its right :(

Is it not because everyone that has it passes it could pass on the gene to their offspring and as population increases so too does the number of people with gene .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oisin097

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Is it not because everyone that has it passes it could pass on the gene to their offspring and as population increases so too does the number of people with gene .

What I said anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Yeah I guess, Im sure theres more than one right answer! Is a harmful memeber of monera cholera is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Did anyone else find that capillary diagram really hard to read??
    Had no clue what they were ponting at for C. I said lumen, but I really wasnt sure

Yes, the diagram was very weird, but since the description said that its a diagram of circulatory and lymphatic system, then it kind of had to be a lymphatic vessel.
    "The diagram shows a region of tissue that includes body cells and parts of the circulatory and lymphatic systems."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 RyanB61

Personally I didn't really like the short questions compared to the exam craft pres ones..

I suck at experiment questions as I know nobe of them, but so happy with the two that came up :)

The long questions I did the ones with text included.. I thought they were hit and miss..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hontheroyalz

Anybody get 0.002mm for the microscope question??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KevinL101

I said disperse light evenly for the cover slip is that right? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

That for me was the loveliest paper I've ever done. Knew Genetics my fave would be there but there, but all the Ecology, easy True/False questions, all the stuff about blood vessels and the heart as well as the microscope experiment wfiefimgkm. I feel elated after that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 siobhaanx

Yeah true I do really stupid things during examssss

Did anyone else find that capillary diagram really hard to read??
    Had no clue what they were ponting at for C. I said lumen, but I really wasnt sure

I decided to add 40 and 10 to get 50 and divided by that, realised after I got out what I had done, anyway its not going to be more than 3 marks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

For the last part of the lymphatic short q I think I fecked up :(
    I assumed, for some reason, they were talking about what blood vessel the lymph reenters the blood at, so I said Subclavian Vein, but now Im thinking in was probably Vena Cava :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chatterbox!

I got the same:

40 x 10 = 400

then 0.8 divided by 400?

I just thought I should try something, no clue really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Answer the following questions in relation to carbon dioxide.
    (i) Name a structure found in cells in which carbon dioxide is produced.
    (ii) Give a feature of a capillary which allows the rapid uptake of carbon dioxide.
    (iii) Carbon dioxide levels are usually higher in venous blood than in arterial blood.
    Why is this the case?
    (iv) Name a blood vessel which is an exception to the situation outlined in (iii) above.
    Give a reason for the exception.
    (v) Briefly outline the role of carbon dioxide in the control of the human breathing rate

help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chatterbox!

Anyone know the definition for Gene expression exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

Exactly. I said this too. :/:/ probably not as well phrased as yours but I got my point across LOL

aleatorio wrote: »
    For the last part of the lymphatic short q I think I fecked up :(
    I assumed, for some reason, they were talking about what blood vessel the lymph reenters the blood at, so I said Subclavian Vein, but now Im thinking in was probably Vena Cava :/

I think I said vena cava for that
    But dont worry youre like one of the smartest most prepared person on this forum Ive seen I wouldnt get too worked up over one question:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hontheroyalz

I got the same:

40 x 10 = 400

then 0.8 divided by 400?

I just thought I should try something, no clue really

well if 0.8 is it 400x bigger i think were right...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wanderlost

What did everyone write for a method of estimating rabbit population in an ecosystem? I wrote some ****e about DNA testing rabbit faeces...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forlifebaby

oncex wrote: »
    (ii) Give a feature of a capillary which allows the rapid uptake of carbon dioxide.
    (iii) Carbon dioxide levels are usually higher in venous blood than in arterial blood.
    Why is this the case?
    (iv) Name a blood vessel which is an exception to the situation outlined in (iii) above.
    (v) Briefly outline the role of carbon dioxide in the control of the human breathing rate

Mitochondria, feature: moist for diffusion, co2 due to respiration deoxygenated blood etc, pulmonary vein as it brings oxygenated blood from the lungs etc, co2 level: high will increase blood ph which encourages heavy breathy: medulla oblongata regulates it etc..

Sorry too lazy to make sentences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Macldublin

Well that wasn't the best .. 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PJMurray95

Anyone know the definition for Gene expression exactly?

The process of using the information on the gene to make a protein

Unfortunately I got it wrong in the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

allyb17 wrote: »
    I said mule hahaha but how would they expect us to know? I've never seen that, they can hardly mark that like :(

Sorry to put a downer on it but its in the biology book. Just a throwaway sentence tho

oncex wrote: »
    Why is this the case?

I stupidly said chlorophyll for number one. I meant to say chlorpplast :rolleyes:

ii) Thin walls only one cell think

iii)I wrote something really long for this but basically arteries take oxygenated blood straight form the heart and veins take waste products from the cells back to the lungs to be exhaled I cant remember exactly what I said

iv)Pulmonary vein

v) I wrote a long bit for this too, but brain monitors blood acidity levels. When theres too much co2 the PH in blood drops as its an acidic gas, brain alerts ribs and lungs to exhale to breathe out the c02

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

kittycat94 wrote: »
    any ol biology????

Yup I did ordinary :) loved the ecology question just cos it's one part of biology that I actually like :p thought the shorts were ok enough too! A friend of mine was going to go up to higher but decided it wasn't worth the risk! Right decision going by the general consensus that the paper was very nasty

wanderlost wrote: »
    What did everyone write for a method of estimating rabbit population in an ecosystem? I wrote some ****e about DNA testing rabbit faeces...

Capture Re-capture method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I think I said vena cava for that
    But dont worry youre like one of the smartest most prepared person on this forum Ive seen I wouldnt get too worked up over one question:P

Hahahah well Im coming across quite a few that Ive fecked up actually :o
    Ah well, YOLO :pac:

Capture-Recapture Method!
    PJMurray95 wrote: »

Omg wat I got that right :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

I said quantitative stidy

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

PJMurray95 wrote: »

Ugh I thought it was similar to the definition of a phenotype. That was not my paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lckid

Spent the last ten minutes trying to think of something so in the end I just threw down

''rabbit census''. It should give the corrector a laugh more than anything..

Advertisement