Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Anyone know the definition for Gene expression exactly?

Fellow Chatterbox xD
    The precise way in which genetic information carried in DNA is decoded in the cell and used to make a protein

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

I didnt either! .. couldnt think of the biomolecule found in meat :rolleyes: and i do home ec! :pac:

I said protein, which I feckin hope was it because then it asked what produces the biomolecule I was like RIBOSOMES :DDD all delighted because I usually forget what ribosomes are for.

Also remembered LENTICELS after a couple of minutes staring at the 'stem version of stomata for gas exchange' question and practically did a victory dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SassyCastiel

I'm appalling at arithmetic maths, so for the microscope question I just left it as 0.8mm/ 400 because I didn't have my calculator lol. Would I still get the marks even though it's not the finished answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Anybody get 0.002mm for the microscope question??

I didn't have a calculator and couldn't be arsed to do it in my head so I just wrote down 0.08/400, I hope I still get full marks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Katie1289 wrote: »
    For the question where it asked how to test for alcohol, I said

'use a chemical and if it goes orange it's alcohol'

-. - sums up my entire biology paper.

I said the same except that it goes green so imagine being me right now :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sallycoolgal

K6Y wrote: »
    I didn't have a calculator and couldn't be arsed to do it in my head so I just wrote down 0.08/400, I hope I still get full marks for it.

i did this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

bb1234567 wrote: »

It is green i think, it turns from orange to green :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Hi guys, just want to confirm if my short questions are correct. Feeling terrible and need some bit of confidence. Please bear in mind that some of this is probably incorrect so dont use it as your marking scheme.

From your knowledge of ecology explain any five of the following terms:
    (a) Biosphere. the part of the planet containing living organisms
    (b) Niche. the functional role an organism plays in society
    (c) Biotic factor. living factor i.e fauna/flora
    (d) Trophic level. a feeding stage in a food chain
    (e) Competition. an active struggle between 2 or more organisms for a resource in short supply
    (f) Symbiosis. when 2 organism live in close association with one another and both benefit

2. (a) The following biochemical reactions took place in some living cells:
    (i) A B + C + D
    Is this an example of anabolism or catabolism?
    anabolic
    (ii) Fat Fatty Acids + Y
    Identify X and Y.
    X .lipase Y . glycerol
    (b) (i) How does a phospholipid differ from a fat?
    Phospholipid:1 glycerol, 2 fatty acids, 1 phosphate group
    Fat: 1 glycerol, 3 fatty acids
    (ii) Name a fat-soluble vitamin.
    D
    (iii) State a disorder due to a dietary deficiency of the vitamin referred to in (b) (ii).
    rickets
    (iv) Give any two functions of minerals in organisms.
    1. GROWTH of bones and teeth
    2. helps bind cell walls.....calcium
    Page 3 of 16
    3. The diagram shows a region of tissue that includes body cells and parts of the circulatory and lymphatic systems.

(a) Name part C. _lymph vessel
    (b) What type of blood vessel is A? artery
    (c) If a transverse section of A were viewed under the microscope state one way in which it would
    differ from a transverse section through B.
    thicker walls?
    (d) Give two functions of the lymphatic system.
    1. _________transport fat

2. carry tissue fluid back to blood

(e) Give one way in which lymph differs from blood.
    lymph has no red blood cells
    (f) Name a major blood vessel that returns the blood in B to the heart.

Page 4 of 16
    4. (a) The living world may be divided into five kingdoms: Monera; Protista; Fungi; Plantae; Animalia.
    In the case of each of the following pairs of kingdoms give any structural feature of members of the
    first-named kingdom not found in members of the second kingdom.
    (i) Fungi and Animalia. ____rhizoids___
    (ii) Plantae and Fungi. ____chloroplasts_________
    (iii) Animalia and Monera. ____mitochondria?
    (iv) Protista and Animalia. ________pseudopodia___
    (b) In each of the following cases, name an organism that fits the description.
    (i) A multicellular fungus. ___rhizopus
    (ii) A member of the Protista that catches and consumes smaller organisms.
    _________amoeba
    (iii) A harmful member of the Monera. __streptococcuss
    5. Indicate whether the following statements are true (T) or false (F) by placing a tick () in the appropriate
    box in each case.
    (a) Single-celled organisms use meiosis for asexual reproduction. F
    (b) In telophase of mitosis, a cleavage furrow forms in plant cells. F
    (c) When a cell is not dividing it is said to be in prophase. F
    (d) The nuclear membrane disappears in the early part of mitosis. T
    (e) Centromeres give rise to the nuclear spindle.!?!
    (f) Mitosis is a source of variation. F
    (g) In multicellular organisms mitosis is primarily used for growth. T

Suggest an advantage of using ATP as an energy store in cells.
    has lots of energy. is a high energy enzyme
    (b) Name two processes requiring ATP that occur in cells.
    photosynthesis/respiration
    (c) Name two substances, other than carbon dioxide, into which pyruvate may be broken down
    under anaerobic conditions in cells.
    1. ___glucose_ 2. _water ?!? guessed these
    (d) What is the name of the two-carbon compound into which pyruvate is broken down under
    aerobic conditions?
    acetylCoa
    (e) Briefly describe the fate, under aerobic conditions, of the two-carbon compound referred to in
    part (d).
    goes to Krebs cycle and is broken down (too brief, would i get some marks?)

You were right, though! It goes from yellow/orange to green :]

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarbear18

I stupidly said chlorophyll for number one. I meant to say chlorpplast :rolleyes:

ii) Thin walls only one cell think

iii)I wrote something really long for this but basically arteries take oxygenated blood straight form the heart and veins take waste products from the cells back to the lungs to be exhaled I cant

remember exactly what I said

iv)Pulmonary vein

v) I wrote a long bit for this too, but brain monitors blood acidity levels. When theres too much co2 the PH in blood drops as its an acidic gas, brain alerts ribs and lungs to exhale to breathe out the c02

:)

as far as i know carbon dioxide is made in the mitochondrion during respiration. its not made in the chloroplast! could be wrong..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 hontheroyalz

oncex wrote: »
    <big long quote>)

I had the same answers for 95% of these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

I had the same answers for 95% of these!

whats the 5%?! haha

oncex wrote: »
    <big long quote>

I'd say you'd get some sure, I forgot the details so mine was a kind of brief thing about it becoming ATP and NADH, I'm sure I'll only get partial for it as well if they're giving partial marks for that Q

Almost everything looks right to me, you should be proud of yourself :]

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

For earlier poster;

They said "structural" so im not sure mitocondria and chroplasts would be accetable.

Acetyl CoA is broken down to lactic acid and ethanol in the anaerobic conditions.

For earlier poster;

They said "structural" so im not sure mitocondria and chroplasts would be accetable.

I'd have to go looking through past marking schemes to see, but I think they've been grand with stating cell organelles as structural differences before. I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

For earlier poster;

Acetyl CoA is broken down to lactic acid and ethanol in the anaerobic conditions.

I said cytosol of cell because under anaerobic conditions pyruvate changes to ethanol and co2 In plant cells

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Brensthehen

anybody else that the paper was just absolutely Rotten! where was respiration and human reproduction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LCMATHS

I dont get what people found so hard about that paper there were some very easy questions like that one about alzheimers and rabbit populations

I think a lot of people found it hard because questions that always seem to come up such as photosynthesis and human reproduction didn't appear, also no respiration long question, doesn't make the paper hard just leaves some people unprepared.

Fiske wrote: »
    I'd have to go looking through past marking schemes to see, but I think they've been grand with stating cell organelles as structural differences before. I hope!

Yeah, they probably will be accepted in the end, any question like that usually is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kates339

anybody else that the paper was just absolutely Rotten! where was respiration and human reproduction!!

I did!! Thankfully someone else :o did the plant cell experiment instead of animal :(:( only realised when i came out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

I think nearly everyone bar a few people found the paper horrible :/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LimeTimee

Very easy paper. Didn't do any preparation and this is exactly what I hoped for. I predicted that the 2013 exam paper was hard as it had the number 13 in it. That means the 2014 would be extremely easy. I did pretty bad in the short and experiment questions, but aced the long questions because they were so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Badwulf wrote: »
    I think nearly everyone bar a few people found the paper horrible :/

Its really ironic that I'm one of those few and I was so underprepared. Didnt know genetics, plant reproduction, DNA or cell division, photosynthesis or respiration at all going in I was terrified, i feel like I got away with murder :o

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Right lads, anyone caught any rabbits yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

LimeTimee wrote: »
    Very easy paper. Didn't do any preparation and this is exactly what I hoped for. I predicted that the 2013 exam paper was hard as it had the number 13 in it. That means the 2014 would be extremely easy. I did pretty bad in the short and experiment questions, but aced the long questions because they were so easy.

Thats some logic you have there

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Mario95 wrote: »
    "Name the type of particle whose movement in and out of neurons is an essential feature of nerve impulse transmission. "
    I said "neurotransmitters or positive ions"
    EoghanIRL wrote: »
    The answer is charged particles called ions .

Neurotransmitters is wrong. It's not necessarily positive ions either .

I said electrolytes ie those minerals like Na,Cl ions and stuff.I remember those things they sell in pharmacies,I use them when I get sick it gives me a bit of energy after all that mess :|

Overall I thought the paper was truly amazing,especially the experiments.I didn't study IAA, human and plant reproduction after all.The person who made the paper deserves a round of applause in my opinion :D hoping for an A2 or B1 at least.

XtotheZ wrote: »
    Right lads, anyone caught any rabbits yet?

I have the traps set. Did you bring the paint to mark them, leaving the visible to predators and certain death

• Registered Users Posts: 49 forevergold22

Capture Re-capture method.

Would you mind expanding on this please? I wrote something and I want to know if it's similar to what I said thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I have the traps set. Did you bring the paint to mark them, leaving the visible to predators and certain death

Yes I have from paint. This might be helpful http://www.wikihow.com/Calm-a-Vicious-Rabbit

Seriously though what a daft question. Biology now consisting of comprehensions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 BlueCat01

Did anyone get the answer to this?

Name a group of organisms in which the XY chromosome pair gives rise to a different sex than in cattle.

I said seahorse but not sure

Advertisement