Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Not a bad paper overall I thought, just a different type of paper than we're used to.. What did yous get for this?

"Suggest what could happen to biological diversity as the human population continues to increase?"

I said that as humans grow in number, other animals and plants will start to die off due to human interference :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ladderlad

Katie1289 wrote: »
    For the question where it asked how to test for alcohol, I said

'use a chemical and if it goes orange it's alcohol'

-. - sums up my entire biology paper.
    Hahah i was gonna say drink it or try burn it **** i dont know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭krisfoster8

aleatorio wrote: »
    I said that as humans grow in number, other animals and plants will start to die off due to human interference :/

Yeah pretty much the same here.. I said that humans will continue to destroy their habitats. We should get that I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Badwulf wrote: »
    Just because you think the signs of Alzheimer's are general knowledge it doesn't mean everyone knows it? Do you know the signs of Tardive Dyskinesia? You should because its common sense in my opinion.

That's a bad example because the clue's in the name. Tardive = delayed, dyskinesia = something wrong with movement. My point is that Alzheimer's is not particularly obscure. It'd be unfair to ask on something named after a scientist that was also obscure, because there's no way you could work it out.

Edit: I'd be more annoyed about the fact that you're only expected to know 1 neurological disorder and for some people that was Alzheimer's, so you'd be stuck for the treatment of another one in the last part. Also sorry for being a smart-ass, I just think there are worse things about that paper to be annoyed about than the Alzheimer's thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Yeah pretty much the same here.. I said that humans will continue to destroy their habitats. We should get that I'd say!

Same here I said humans will cut down more and more trees which could lead to the extinction of the plant in the near future if it's not managed properly.Also the same for the animals that depend on those plants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 hontheroyalz

I had the same answers for 95% of these!

just the variable ones like the differences between kingdoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LCMATHS

MegGustaa wrote: »
    If you've managed to live for 18 years and not know that memory loss is a symptom of Alzheimer's you need to get your own head checked

It seems like common knowledge to you and me, but if it's not on the course it should never be asked, this is the leaving cert not some class quiz, guarantee there are some people who didn't know it, and how can you blame them for not knowing something that wasn't on the course. It's probably only 3 marks so it's not a big deal, but it's about the principle, the SEC should not be able to get away with nonsense like that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

LCMATHS wrote: »
    It seems like common knowledge to you and me, but if it's not on the course it should never be asked, this is the leaving cert not some class quiz, guarantee there are some people who didn't know it, and how can you blame them for not knowing something that wasn't on the course. It's probably only 3 marks so it's not a big deal, but it's about the principle, the SEC should not be able to get away with nonsense like that.
    A lot of people were panicking inside in that exam and asking stuff outside the syllabus, common sense or not, will only make things worse.

That biology exam was appalling but hopefully they will mark it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

LCMATHS wrote: »

Yeah no I can see where you're coming from. They can probably justify it with the fact that they said 'suggest' rather than straight-up asking "what are the symptoms of Alzheimer's?". So they may end up accepting any vague attempt at guessing at a symptom of a degenerative neurological disorder.

They like throwing in general knowledge into those papers from time to time. You could make the argument for the Maths paper yesterday that it's not common knowledge what types of people make up those over-15 who are not in the labour force, too. But they'll probably be pretty lenient to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

I thought that joint question was very clearly an elbow until everyone is saying they're not sure :pac: I just said synovial because in our notes it said 3 types of joins: synovial, fixed, or slightly movable. Hopefully I'll get the marks anyway with all this speculation :rolleyes::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I thought that joint question was very clearly an elbow until everyone is saying they're not sure :pac: I just said synovial because in our notes it said 3 types of joins: synovial, fixed, or slightly movable. Hopefully I'll get the marks anyway with all this speculation :rolleyes::P

I accidentally got that question right. I meant to say it was a tendon but I said joint I think.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I accidentally got that question right. I meant to say it was a tendon but I said joint I think.:P

I said it was a hinge joint and the structure was a ligament?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

bb1234567 wrote: »

It said name the type of joint and the structure labelled A, which attaches muscle to bone.

So hinge joint and tendon.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

I didn't do that question, but it's ligaments that are bone to bone and tendons that attach bone to muscle, yeah?

Fiske wrote: »
    I didn't do that question, but it's ligaments that are bone to bone and tendons that attach bone to muscle, yeah?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭pdev

Done with an hour to spare boom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

anyone have like the answers to the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Maribs

Weird and cheated are the two words that I've heard this paper described by students !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Done every question on the paper bar 10, very strange paper but manageable. I feel sorry for the lads who were relying on just units 1 and 2

Huell wrote: »
    Done every question on the paper bar 10, very strange paper but manageable. I feel sorry for the lads who were relying on just units 1 and 2

Why would you feel sorry for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

aleatorio wrote: »

I said that the growth will lead to Growth in interracial people which makes it harder for them to receive blood transfusions... Don't ask :L

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭neonmaria

didnt like the short questions at all and most of my class left early because they panicked

Actually, what did yous say for Q15c where it asked you to give two reasons why the human population has been increasing rapidly since the mid 1800s?

I started talking about exponential growth for one of them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Actually, what did yous say for Q15c where it asked you to give two reasons why the human population has been increasing rapidly since the mid 1800s?

My answers here were ridiculous :L

I said curiosity for one and increased publication of sex :L

I said "the higher the population, the higher the birth rates" and I said "decrease in death rates due to advancements in medicene and hospitals"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

I said improved medicine and medical knowledge, and more sources of food available due to technological advancements :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Caoimhz

What was the last Q in Q10 about? I couldn't for the life of me think of any logical answer!!

Birds and butterflies was the answer supposedly

I genuinely thought that "elbow joint" was a leg and foot.....

Caoimhz wrote: »

Thats your own fault. You should be able to spot wally in a picture of a hurricane of red striped sweaters in half a second, you should also be able to tell what our poloroid 1.0 megapixel camera of the joint was. Its also your fault you didn't know the the two questions that came up that are not even on the course.

You stink.

<3 The S.E.C.

Caoimhz wrote: »

I thought it was an ankle too :D I think I posted here earlier not even realising it was an elbow.

I still wrote hinge. So it makes no odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Caoimhz

Badwulf wrote: »
    Thats your own fault. You should be able to spot wally in a picture of a hurricane of red striped sweaters in half a second, you should also be able to tell what our poloroid 1.0 megapixel camera of the joint was. Its also your fault you didn't know the the two questions that came up that are not even on the course.

You stink.

<3 The S.E.C.
    hahaha :L it was actual project biology like....
    I thought it was an ankle too :D I think I posted here earlier not even realising it was an elbow.

I still wrote hinge. So it makes no odds.

Wasn't a great illustration to be fair to us :L

Advertisement