Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC BIOLOGY 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I wish I was sitting this paper and had a week to revise, seriously. :P

Good luck everyone!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Photosynthesis, Respiration, Enzymes, Ecology, Genetics, Human Immunity, Bacteria and the IAA experiment would be a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

marno21 wrote: »
    Photosynthesis, Respiration, Enzymes, Ecology, Genetics, Human Immunity, Bacteria and the IAA experiment would be a good start

That would be beautiful :O maybe some breating and excretion and some plant reproduction and ive got myself an A!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Is it possible to not study plants and still get a high B or an A? Completely hate them, but I find the rest of the course to be more or less do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

What stuff on the course has never been asked/hasnt been asked in a very long time? Theres usually something that pops up that hasnt been in the past papers :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

aleatorio wrote: »
    What stuff on the course has never been asked/hasnt been asked in a very long time? Theres usually something that pops up that hasnt been in the past papers :P

hmm lymphatic system... I'd say it will make an appearance this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kevink7501

I've 17 chapters left :( any shortcuts ?

hmm lymphatic system... I'd say it will make an appearance this year.

In the marking scheme it says we only need to know:
    The lymphatic system:
    • structure: lymph nodes, lymph vessels
    • any three functions

So they cant throw anything toooo nasty at us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

aleatorio wrote: »
    In the marking scheme it says we only need to know:
    The lymphatic system:
    • structure: lymph nodes, lymph vessels
    • any three functions

So they cant throw anything toooo nasty at us :pac:

Yep that's all it is really :) Pretty handy if it came up to be honest.
    I just need to go over alooooot of bio this weekend and the day before because it tends to slip from my memory so fast!

Yep that's all it is really :) Pretty handy if it came up to be honest.
    I just need to go over alooooot of bio this weekend and the day before because it tends to slip from my memory so fast!

Im aiming for an A1, for sure, so Ive been doing an exam paper every 2 days and Im planning on reading the whole book the night before to refresh all the little details :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

K6Y wrote: »
    Is it possible to not study plants and still get a high B or an A?

I want to know this too, it seems that way from the past papers and the mock but we all know how sadistic the SEC are. If I at least cover the plant experiments, will I be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

I heard you can get 80% by knowing unit 1,2 and the experiements?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

XtotheZ wrote: »
    I heard you can get 80% by knowing unit 1,2 and the experiements?

Knowing them off by heart inside out to a perfect chalk line, yes it can get you 80 percent, I've only studied

all unit 1
    all unit 2
    all experiments
    then from unit 3 all ive studied is
    plant reproduction
    human reproduction
    disease, defences and immunity
    breating
    excretion

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

This is the only exam I'm excited for. I love biology (though it's definitely not my strongest subject, I still love it).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

How are ye studying the experiments?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leavingcert problems

Jones82 wrote: »
    How are ye studying the experiments?

I intend to watch the DVD that came with the book Monday night! Hope that refreshes them!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RingoIRL

I intend to watch the DVD that came with the book Monday night! Hope that refreshes them!

Haha, with the state of my book, that DVD is looong gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fudge dice

I've learned all unit 1,2 and all experiments.. Plants, diversity of Organisms and blood, immunity and lymph
    So hopefully I'll be ok looking back over previous exam papers it looks alright and since there was a full q on endocrine and Sexual reproduction last year plants seem likely this year
    I hate the human biology!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johnjoeboy

I'm leaving out the genetic chapters and Evolution.its only 4 chapters but I am doing every other chapter.is this a good idea cause I know genetics comes up but only as one Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Johnjoeboy wrote: »
    I'm leaving out the genetic chapters and Evolution.its only 4 chapters but I am doing every other chapter.is this a good idea cause I know genetics comes up but only as one Q

No... 1 question in long questions and 1 short pretty much every year../ that's 80 marks

• Advertisement

oncex wrote: »
    No... 1 question in long questions and 1 short pretty much every year../ that's 80 marks

I just find them too hard to understand.i have every other chapter we'll learned so I have 5 options in long Qs to answer so I would say il be alright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Johnjoeboy wrote: »
    I just find them too hard to understand.i have every other chapter we'll learned so I have 5 options in long Qs to answer so I would say il be alright?

Why don't you do the chapters that aren't that hard ie variation and evolution? Leave out protein synthesis if you need to... Depends on ur grade if it's an a1, then no

I was hoping an A2 or a high B.i know reproduction ecology and respiration and photosynthesis come up most years so that might be 3 Qs sorted and just one left.I didn't do evolution because I saw it come up as part of genetic Qs before.i left out gentics DNA/RNA and evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

I hate the genetics chapters too but going for an A1 I am not leaving them out.. Sometimes the genetics question can be really nice and actually quite easy to answer.

Yeah some aren't to bad but I always seem to make a mess of them.but I will say I have done enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2014lchelp

K6Y wrote: »
    Is it possible to not study plants and still get a high B or an A? Completely hate them, but I find the rest of the course to be more or less do-able.

You probably could, but you're not going to have much of a choice in your exam then. Last year they mixed the endocrine system and plant responses (they love doing that) . I have an awful feeling they're going to be mixing human and plant reproduction together this year. I had originally said I wasn't going to do them, but i'm aiming for the A1 so I need myself covered. Maybe its a bit late to be doing full chapters, but I would learn growth regulators, adhesion, cohesion, the different plant responses, formation of plant zygote and the differences between a monocot and dicot.

Yeah thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Ka_yl_ei_gh

I haven't even started studying biology..

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

I'm planning on doing like 3 or 4 full papers today :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Saskatchewan

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing like 3 or 4 full papers today :pac:

Same! I just talk myself through the section C questions so im not taking too long if its stuff I already know. Anything a bit different I just write down and check the marking scheme!

Advertisement