Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Thanks Ososlo for setting up this thread. I've been looking out for it and now that it's here I guess it means that the beginning of the training approaches.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5K Parkrun May 13 - 25.25
    10K Great Ireland Run April 12 - 52.14
    Wexford Half Marathon April 14 - 1.59.04

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do) No
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. At present, I'm averaging about 3 times per week. On a good week it could be 4 (and sometimes 5) but when real life interrupts it might only be twice. I try to get one long run in and the others are 8-10K (I'm also trying to switch to miles at the mo)

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I would love to get around in 4.15-4.20 however that may be unrealistic. 4.30-4.45 may be a little more on track.

How many days a week can you train? 4-5

Why are you running this marathon? I think this is a bucket list gig for me. I was talking to a pacer last year at the Kildare Half last year who was basically saying why not do it that October as anyone running/jogging a half would have a good base to build on. I made the usual excuses- not enough time, the thought of doing a 2nd lap of the half course, too far etc and was happy with that. Then in October we went up to Bushy Park to see a friend who was running DCM and I thought I could do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

best of luck everyone. Holy $hit ososlo, those first two posts could provide the basis for "a complete guide to running" book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Have been waiting for this thread, got really excited when I saw it.

Thanks to Ososlo for an excellent opening post!

Male, 44, stopped smoking 2 years ago and started running.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    PB's:

5K Parkrun 5k 19/4/2014 22:37
    10K Samsung Night Run 51:20

Times? Dream 4:15, realistic 4:45

•How many days a week can you train?
    4-5
    Congrats on staying off the smokes. Same story as myself with my 2 year anniversary just a while ago. Running is a the best replacement EVER!

I know we're encouraging everyone not to focus on a goal time but no harm having an idea of what you'd like to achieve and no reason in the world why you can't aim for your dream time above if training goes well. The next few months will tell a lot. Best of luck

TRR wrote: »
    best of luck everyone. Holy $hit ososlo, those first two posts could provide the basis for "a complete guide to running" book :)

:D
    I felt like I had run a marathon myself by the time I'd finished them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Woohoo! Been waiting for this to start up, and couldn't have asked for a better mentor! :D

Too excited to read over the rest of the thread. Will do so after answering the questions:

5k: (A soft) 24.57 (December 2013) and an unoffical 24.17 (January 2014)
    4 mile: 33.21 (March 2013)
    5 mile: 40.02 <-Grrr! (January 2014)
    10k: 50:44 (June 2013) - On a possible short course
    10 mile: 1.28.57 (August 2013)
    HM: 1:53:52 (March 2014)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    Not usually, no.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    One club session (usually intervals), one longish run and a few other easy runs. Training has been hit and miss this year due to various illnesses, but I'm fighting fit again and ready to start marathon training.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    A Goal: Sub 4
    B Goal: Sub 4:15
    C Goal: Finish it without crying in pain

How many days a week can you train?

Why are you running this marathon?
    For the tshirt :)

I love running and I've found that the longer a race is, the more I enjoy it - all of the race photos I have from my half-marathons have me beaming in joy. I've been dreaming of running a marathon since I took up running 16 months ago, and this year will be the best opportunity for me to give it a bash, in terms of the time needed to commit to the training.

• Advertisement

vitani wrote: »
    Woohoo! Been waiting for this to start up, and couldn't have asked for a better mentor! :D

Too excited to read over the rest of the thread. Will do so after answering the questions:

5k: (A soft) 24.57 (December 2013) and an unoffical 24.17 (January 2014)
    4 mile: 33.21 (March 2013)
    5 mile: 40.02 <-Grrr! (January 2014)
    10k: 50:44 (June 2013) - On a possible short course
    10 mile: 1.28.57 (August 2013)
    HM: 1:53:52 (March 2014)

Not usually, no.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    One club session (usually intervals), one longish run and a few other easy runs. Training has been hit and miss this year due to various illnesses, but I'm fighting fit again and ready to start marathon training.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    A Goal: Sub 4
    B Goal: Sub 4:15
    C Goal: Finish it without crying in pain

For the tshirt :)

I love running and I've found that the longer a race is, the more I enjoy it - all of the race photos I have from my half-marathons have me beaming in joy. I've been dreaming of running a marathon since I took up running 16 months ago, and this year will be the best opportunity for me to give it a bash, in terms of the time needed to commit to the training.

Yay vitani's here:D
    What happened your log:confused: I think you should revive it. One regret I have is not starting my log earlier, especially to have my marathon training logged in one place.
    I know you've been waiting for this thread for quite a while now :D and you were very sensible last year deciding to put DCM off until this year. You've built a super base now and will fly through the training. Not a bother on you and those club sessions are obviously paying off too. Great half marathon time:D
    Best of luck! Get logging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yay vitani's here:D
    What happened your log:confused: I think you should revive it. One regret I have is not starting my log earlier, especially to have my marathon training logged in one place.
    I know you've been waiting for this thread for quite a while now :D and you were very sensible last year deciding to put DCM off until this year. You've built a super base now and will fly through the training. Not a bother on you and those club sessions are obviously paying off too. Great half marathon time:D
    Best of luck! Get logging!

Eesh! That's me told! :pac:

You're right, I really should revive it - planning a nice run home tomorrow so will update it properly then.

Delighted you've been chosen as mentor! And I'm so excited that I finally get to take part in one of these threads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Woowhoo, so glad to see this thread going!! Decided against the DCM last year but loved reading the thread, great advice, great comraderee & fantastic success stories. Hopefully this year will be just as good!

Bit about me: Nearer to 40 than 39, mam of 4. Took up running in 09, only to be rudely interrupted by a twin pregnancy :) which knocked everything on the head until 2012 when I promised myself i'ld run a half, which I did & haven't looked back since....so...

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    3 x half's, pb clontarf 2013 - 1.57.08
    10 mile - dungarvan 2014 - 1.30.34 mins
    10k - GIR 2014 - 55.39 mins
    5k- SLOTS 2014 - 26.27mins
    5 mile 2013 - 41.57 mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ?
    Not usually, no.

How much training do you currently do ?
    Was bootcamping 3 days a week & running 2/3 days depending on whether I was training for half or not. but have knocked camp on the head & decided to run 5 days a week & c how that goes. Usually short runs 3/4 mile, with a long run thrown in, nothing longer than 6 miles at the moment though!! But have started a plan for half in July.

What do you want to achieve?
    Oh lord, i'ld be lying if i said i had no time, would love to do 4hrs, realistically probably 4.30.

Because I want skinny runners legs : ), ah no seriously, to prove to myself & my kids that anything is possible if you really want to do it. I sometimes struggle with the longer mileage, even though I'm physically able I mentally give up, so this is my year to work on it!

denis160 wrote: »
    Woowhoo, so glad to see this thread going!! Decided against the DCM last year but loved reading the thread, great advice, great comraderee & fantastic success stories. Hopefully this year will be just as good!

Bit about me: Nearer to 40 than 39, mam of 4. Took up running in 09, only to be rudely interrupted by a twin pregnancy :) which knocked everything on the head until 2012 when I promised myself i'ld run a half, which I did & haven't looked back since....so...

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    3 x half's, pb clontarf 2013 - 1.57.08
    10 mile - dungarvan 2014 - 1.30.34 mins
    10k - GIR 2014 - 55.39 mins
    5k- SLOTS 2014 - 26.27mins
    5 mile 2013 - 41.57 mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ?
    Not usually, no.

How much training do you currently do ?
    Was bootcamping 3 days a week & running 2/3 days depending on whether I was training for half or not. but have knocked camp on the head & decided to run 5 days a week & c how that goes. Usually short runs 3/4 mile, with a long run thrown in, nothing longer than 6 miles at the moment though!! But have started a plan for half in July.

What do you want to achieve?
    Oh lord, i'ld be lying if i said i had no time, would love to do 4hrs, realistically probably 4.30.

Because I want skinny runners legs : ), ah no seriously, to prove to myself & my kids that anything is possible if you really want to do it. I sometimes struggle with the longer mileage, even though I'm physically able I mentally give up, so this is my year to work on it!

I'm sure you'll achieve your goal and get the skinny legs;) That'll happen automatically as you up the mileage! An added bonus:D
    Great commitment there with looking towards a 5 day week and training towards the half. You're well set!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great start Ososlo, that was some opening!!
    there's a great bunch forming already, so looks like fun times ahead.

I've (been) volunteered to help out, so I look forward to helping as many as I can not only hit there goals, but enjoy the experience.

• Advertisement

Great start Ososlo, that was some opening!!
    there's a great bunch forming already, so looks like fun times ahead.

I've (been) volunteered to help out, so I look forward to helping as many as I can not only hit there goals, but enjoy the experience.

thanks AMK. Great to have you helping out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

It's been said already but I've got to say it again.. IMPRESSIVE opening posts there Ososlo. Will be following with great interest from now. You are all in great hands folks. A rock of sense our Ososlo is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I've been waiting for this thread for the last couple months! Great to have Ososlo as mentor!

Currently running about 12 miles a week average although hoping to get over 20 in the next few weeks!

Injuries have been on and off and have not had any race in last 8 months... Signed up for marathon in October...eek..and at the moment I'm just hoping to finish! Really looking forward to your guidance Ososlo and hope I can get some great advise from my idol RunningKing also! Excited! :pac:

On a serious note best of luck novices and ye are in fantastic hands with Ososlo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Fair play ososlo, great opening posts! Will be following this with great interest hope to run dcm myself if I can get back running in time to start training for it.

Hi All

There was a very useful thread started by Ososlo that should be included here.

It gives advice from people who have done Marathons and asks the question;

(1) If you could run your first marathon again, what would you do differently in training/preparation?

(2) if you were happy with your first marathon, what were the factors (in training and prep) that you feel led to your success?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056962716

Some good advice and great food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

I've also been keeping an eye out for this thread!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Have done 4 or 5 10k races - best time being 52:56 in the Samsung Night Run last month.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? The odd time if I'm pushing the LSR out a bit but generally no.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. Lunchtime run of 5 miles three times a week. LSR at the weekend - currently up to 13.5 miles

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Just run the whole thing really - time will probably be around 4:30 ideally by the time it comes around.

How many days a week can you train? 4 days

Why are you running this marathon? Started running 14 months ago to lose a bit of weight & with the aim of doing a 10k. Now 2 stone lighter I've signed up for a half marathon in July as my next goal. Once I've done that I think I'll need the marathon planned to keep me focused.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi All

There was a very useful thread started by Ososlo that should be included here.

It gives advice from people who have done Marathons and asks the question;

(1) If you could run your first marathon again, what would you do differently in training/preparation?

(2) if you were happy with your first marathon, what were the factors (in training and prep) that you feel led to your success?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056962716

Some good advice and great food for thought.

Yeah, that's a good thread, remember reading it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

WOW, That time of year again.
    Best of luck to everyone who goes on this journey to their first marathon, its one you won't regret. There will be highs and lows and times when you think you're mad, certainly lots of others(mainly non running kind) will think that, but the reward at the end when you cross the finish line, no matter what the time is, will be so worth it. You are all in great hands here and remember no question is too silly to ask/not worth asking, if you are wondering about something, so is someone else.
    Enjoy the ride and remember SMILE along the way:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

On the subject of Gels, apparently high 5 sponsor the race and they have gel stations towards the nd of the race, can anyone who did the race last year let me know what they give out/ flavour/ with caffeine or without and also were they the isogels or the normal ones?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

adrian522 wrote: »
    On the subject of Gels, apparently high 5 sponsor the race and they have gel stations towards the nd of the race, can anyone who did the race last year let me know what they give out/ flavour/ with caffeine or without and also were they the isogels or the normal ones?

Thanks.

One tip would be to not rely on the gels that are handed out...I personally bring my own as then it is one less variable to have on race day. The less variables, the better...

What if you arrive at the gel station and there are no gels left or wrong flavour that does not sit well with you etc.

That said I think it is just the regular high 5 gels, not the iso ones. Not sure if they had the with caffeine ones also

• Advertisement

Yeah, was just wondering as it would mean not having to carry as many, but I guess your right about not needing to rely on them.

adrian522 wrote: »

Thanks.

Agree with blockic entirely on this. Not worth depending on them being there. There were High 5 gels (don't know any more details)

If you buy a pair of the super shorts I mentioned in my opening post, you can easily carry your own (6-+) with no discomfort of gel belts etc.
    Great to be thinking about his stuff early on adrian522:D
    Preparation is the key;)

I've been trialing a few gels on my long runs and am happy enough with the high 5 ones. 4 is about as much as I'd want to carry though I'd imagine that would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

If I remember correctly, they had various flavors and types [ ISO and non ISO , not sure about caffeine as I had one with me for Mile 20 ... ]
    Keep in mind that the Gel stations were at Mile 15 and 21 last year so you probably want to be on the safe side with a belt.
    Ah the memories ! Good to see the 2014 edition of the thread ... Good luck Ososlo :-)

I was thinking about stuffing 2 gels into each pocket. Grab one at one of the gel stations if another is needed. Possibly position family members at some point on the course if it comes to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

has anyone used anything other than gels to get through long runs and the marathon? I've tried the high 5 and wasn't overly fond of how I felt. Is it possible to eat ordinary stuff like chopped up apple/sultanas and drink a high energy drink instead?

Firedance wrote: »
    has anyone used anything other than gels to get through long runs and the marathon? I've tried the high 5 and wasn't overly fond of how I felt. Is it possible to eat ordinary stuff like chopped up apple/sultanas and drink a high energy drink instead?

Can't comment on eating actual solid foods on a long run as I've never done so, but why don't you try different gels? I tried lots and found Powerbar suited me best. People must take gels rather than food for a very good reason. Easy to carry, easy to digest (if you find the one most suitable for you). You have lots of time to practice different strategies. Also, make sure you take plenty of water with them so they go down (and stay down!) easier. I've heard of people eating raising alright so why not give that a go but I'd say you'd want a lot of them to get sufficient calories on board for 26.2 miles!
    Sports beans might be another option but you wouldn't want to be doing too much chewing and they do require a lot of chewing!
    Now's the time to experiment to see what works best for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I've taken jellys on long runs with no ill effects, the only thing was can be hard to chew when your under pressure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

OK, I am tempted to answer these questions. I'm not saying I am going to do DCM this year. But I'll put myself into the pot as a possibility (even though I think I have already bugged the life out of last years’ mentor with every marathon training question known to man and I can't possibly still have more left to ask ;) )

I did say on a thread somewhere that I would be giving DCM a miss this year. One of the reasons for that was we were expecting our second baby which was literally due the very day after DCM. Well that didn't work out so that excuse is gone. But that wasn't the only reason why I'm not sure to do it. One of the Dublin HMs on either August bank-holiday Monday or the one in September was to be my main focus of the year. I completed a HM 11 months ago and it I got injured in the process and I was out for 2½ months after it and it put an end to my DCM 2013 ambitions. I think I took a big hit to my confidence of completing a marathon training program or an actual marathon because of it....and because of the fact that I have had numerous other injuries since I started running nearly 2 years ago. But I feel myself getting stronger and I think the injuries will be less frequent – but I still think another years work on it would be my best chance and I am building up my LSR distances a lot slower than most people probably do. I’m gonna stay plugging away at it anyway and see what falls into place if anything.

So, even though some people will have a good idea about me already, the questions:

After all this time, I’ve still only done 5 races.

PBs:

Distance|Date|Time
    5K|08/12/2013|23:03
    8.8K|23/02/2013|48:16
    10K|15/03/2014|49:40
    HM|16/06/2013|2:06:13*

*Struggled through the last 2½ miles or so of this one with that injury mentioned above.

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training – whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level

I run 3 or 4 times a week. Various different types of running. Weekend LSR (which is at 10 miles at the moment), Easy runs, midweek interval/fartlek type session and some recovery runs (but not as many recovery runs as I probably should)!
    I also do plenty of Ososlo’s recommended ‘AIS’. Also a glute strengthening routine with resistance bands before every run (it has become a habitual part of my warm-up) and I have recently started using an exercise bike missus Laois_Man got......which is a bit boring really.

I’d like to think my dream finishing time and my realistic finishing time are the same. 3:59:59 or less. But I wouldn't be devastated with a sub 4:15:00 either

Running wise, 4 I suppose. But I have other types of training I do on some of these 4 days as well as hopefully 1 to 2 other days too.

As I said, might not be THIS marathon....but whichever it is, it’s unfinished business from 2013....which in turn came about because it was something I wanted to do many years ago but was something that only ever occurred to me once in a while or on DCM day. Then I made a promise to myself to do one before I turned 40. Well, I turn 40 exactly a week from today :eek: so I have missed that goal. But not gonna let that be a reason to let it all slip now.

Hasta la vista. :cool:

• Advertisement

Energy drinks could work but there are a myriad of different gels out there, it takes time to find the right ones.
    I cant stomach the ISO ones myself, so I'd use kinetica (cola flavour :)) or Gu - which are thicker and you need water, but dont give me that sickly feeling.

This thread may help.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055486917

Advertisement