Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ososlo wrote: »
    To me that sounds absolutely perfect and well spaced out. Pretty much what I did last year. The Race Series is designed to fit in with marathon training. Those last 2 will be invaluable for practicing gels, fluid, gear etc. Nice to get a race in soon also before things start getting serious!

+1 on this.
    The 10m and the HM are great mass participation races and will really help.

The summer races help with the speed etc.

Also think of each race as giving you a fitness boost. Every race is ran at a speed faster than training (to a degree) so you get a great boost to fitness.
    It's all part of the training for the big day!

We can discuss different strategies for how you approach these nearer the time (race vrs run)

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Would like to do:
    June 22nd - Galway 10K or 10mile.
    July 5th - Clontarf Half Marathon - Any good?
    August 9th - Streets of Galway 8K
    September 20th - Connemara Half Marathon.

Some of the experienced runners don't like clontarf due to the weather that you get. It's a well organised race and will test you, but expect a heatwave or a sandstorm :) if the last 3 yrs are anything to go by.

But they are well organised races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Some of the experienced runners don't like clontarf due to the weather that you get. It's a well organised race and will test you, but expect a heatwave or a sandstorm :) if the last 3 yrs are anything to go by.

But they are well organised races.

Cheers for the quick response, I was trying to get at least one race in Dublin but this doesn't sound like the one now! Might give the Marathon des Escargots Half (Portarlington) a go instead. Decision decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

Hi there. Not sure if I qualify really having ran DCM '13. Not even sure if I'll run DCM 2014 yet but I'll post some info and see what feedback I get.

On a bit of a whim more than anything last year in January I took a wager in work I could complete a marathon in 4:30.
    Would have lived a very sedantry lifestyle previous to this but would watch what I eat so wouldn't be heavy or anything.
    Anyway long story short I trained in dribs and drabs throughout the year but got my **** together about 10 weeks out and followed the Hal Higdon plan more or less. Followed the 4:20 pacers around (who were brilliant) and got over the line in 4:19:xx Definitely left it all out there on the course, and was in bits for a week afterwards.
    Anyway the inevitable happened and I don't think I put on my runners again til January 2nd.
    Finally got my act together around March and have been going to spin regularly enough since along with the odd run.
    Hadn't really contemplated running DCM '14 til this week really when someone mentioned they were running it and I felt a bit jealous.

Major Barrier I guess is I've a trip to Peru booked for 3 weeks in August
    It'll be an active enough trip. Machu Pichu, high altitude etc etc but not ideal preparation. No guarantee I'll be bashing a 16mile lsr out on the streets of Lima.

Anyway thought I'd check in and say hello. I'll be following the thread with interest one way or another. Only saw it late last year but found it very helpful. Please let me know if you think DCM '14 would be feasible or if you reckon I should hold off for this year and maybe do a half and crack the 2 hour mark.

Have you raced before?If so what are your PBs?
    May 2013 Gutmuths Rennsteiglauf HM 2:01:xx
    (Germany in the Thuringen forest; beautiful, would highly recommend)
    Oct 2013 DCM 2013 FM 4:19:xx

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    As I mentioned above fell off the exercise wagon between Nov and March but have been better recently.
    Going to spin 3 times a week and have been back out running 5-6 milers once or twice a week for the last month.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Goal time would be 3:59:XX
    Not really sure how realistic or not this is.
    I guess 4:10 would be the fall back target.
    Would be disappointed to run it slower than last year.

How many days a week can you train? 4-5 days.

Why are you running this marathon? Well I really enjoyed it last year, fantastic experience, was disappointed with myself to fall off the exercise wagon after I completed it and want to get back into that kinda shape and energy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Shadowless wrote: »
    Hi there. Not sure if I qualify really having ran DCM '13. Not even sure if I'll run DCM 2014 yet but I'll post some info and see what feedback I get.

Anyway the inevitable happened and I don't think I put on my runners again til January 2nd.

It'll be an active enough trip. Machu Pichu, high altitude etc etc but not ideal preparation. No guarantee I'll be bashing a 16mile lsr out on the streets of Lima.
    Hey Shadowless. I'm not sure I'm qualified to give my opinion as you know as much as I do having done a marathon yourself. I know I couldn't do a marathon by missing 3 weeks and 3 of the long runs.
    I'm sure you'd complete it and do well but if you really want to make a big improvement on last year, you're not really giving yourself the best chance to do that. Would you be able to run at all while away?
    You'll probably get better feedback from some more experienced marathoners.
    Welcome to the madness anyways:D
    The thread is open to people doing their second also btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Fair play Ososlo, no better women for the job

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

SVP 5k 23.10

Fingal 10k 46.40
    The Longest Day 5k 22.48
    Bohermeen Half 1:59

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do) Nope

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. Following Hals Novice 2, so 4 days a week and bike for cross

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? Would like to complete under four hours

How many days a week can you train? 4/5 days

Why are you running this marathon? I missed last year due to injury, I was really disappointed but determined to do it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Does anyone know can some one else collect your race number if you can't make the expo? (Very early for this question I know!)

Finnt wrote: »
    Does anyone know can some one else collect your race number if you can't make the expo? (Very early for this question I know!)
    Well I collected my own but wasn't asked for any proof of ID so I'd say someone else could with the printout of payment receipt. You could contact the race office and ask to be sure. (details on first page)
    One thing I would say though is that the expo was absolutely fantastic and I would try and make it if possible. It's like Christmas for runners. You could spend half the day there and not be bored. Talks, massages, videos, exhibitions, gear, food, pacers' stand, anything you can think of really related to running! All part of the DCM experience!

Finnt wrote: »

Nope. You need to pick it up yourself. I've been asked for Id on 2 occasions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I loved this thread last year, I think DCM 2013 was just a little to early for me. I am 100% set on giving it a go this year and plan on doing the 4 other races in the series.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Distance|Date|Time
    5K|09/05/2014|23:29
    10K|09/03/2014|48:50
    HM|18/04/2014|1:48:57

I have only been working on my 5k time for the last 2 weeks, its a distance I have never really paid attention to. The half marathon time is down 2 min from the Clontarf half back in Nov so at least going in the right direction.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

At the moment I am running 5/6 days a week. Normally 4 or 5 runs during the week of between 10k & 14k and a LSR at the weekend between 20k & 25k. So between 60k & 80k a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

The first thing is to get it done, the target is under 4 hours.

How many days a week can you train?

6/7.

On training plans I have been looking at the runireland ones as they seem to work well with my work schedule. The only think is the beginner one is a bit light on the miles starting off (20 miles), this would be a step back for me. Not sure if that's a good thing, I also don't want to be billy big bollocks and jump into the intermediate plan as I am a beginner. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Why are you running this marathon?

I always wanted to do one. I was a kid on the northside back in the 80s when the marathon was all on the northside and I remember helping to give out the water and just admiring the determination the runners had.

Its also natural progression, when I got into running a couple of years ago I did a few 10k races and remember saying that was long enough for me. The I did a few half's and just fell in love with the longer races.

One thing I hope does not get in the way to much, I have a wedding in Spain the week before DCM14. Its only for 3 days so should not be much of an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Shadowless wrote: »

On a bit of a whim more than anything last year in January I took a wager in work I could complete a marathon in 4:30.
    Would have lived a very sedantry lifestyle previous to this but would watch what I eat so wouldn't be heavy or anything.
    Anyway long story short I trained in dribs and drabs throughout the year but got my **** together about 10 weeks out and followed the Hal Higdon plan more or less. Followed the 4:20 pacers around (who were brilliant) and got over the line in 4:19:xx Definitely left it all out there on the course, and was in bits for a week afterwards.
    Finally got my act together around March and have been going to spin regularly enough since along with the odd run.
    Hadn't really contemplated running DCM '14 til this week really when someone mentioned they were running it and I felt a bit jealous.

Anyway thought I'd check in and say hello. I'll be following the thread with interest one way or another. Only saw it late last year but found it very helpful. Please let me know if you think DCM '14 would be feasible or if you reckon I should hold off for this year and maybe do a half and crack the 2 hour mark.

Have you raced before?If so what are your PBs?
    May 2013 Gutmuths Rennsteiglauf HM 2:01:xx
    (Germany in the Thuringen forest; beautiful, would highly recommend)
    Oct 2013 DCM 2013 FM 4:19:xx

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? No.

As I mentioned above fell off the exercise wagon between Nov and March but have been better recently.
    Going to spin 3 times a week and have been back out running 5-6 milers once or twice a week for the last month.

Goal time would be 3:59:XX
    Not really sure how realistic or not this is.
    I guess 4:10 would be the fall back target.
    Would be disappointed to run it slower than last year.

How many days a week can you train? 4-5 days.

Why are you running this marathon? Well I really enjoyed it last year, fantastic experience, was disappointed with myself to fall off the exercise wagon after I completed it and want to get back into that kinda shape and energy again.

Id say it comes down to how much you want to do it. If you get stuck in now, build up slowly and have got the LSR to a decent mileage by August you should be ok, but you will need to do some running in those 3 weeks. Otherwise the plan of tackling a HM is also a good one. I had 2 weeks hols in July last year and a week in August, I still managed about 4 miles 4 times in the week but it was slow and steady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nope. You need to pick it up yourself. I've been asked for Id on 2 occasions.

In 5 years I have never been asked for ID and our club captain often picks up numbers for 20+ people ( though maybe it's because they know him).
    Officially someone else can pick up your number but they need to bring a permission letter signed by you along with a photocopy of your passport/ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

menoscemo wrote: »
    In 5 years I have never been asked for ID and our club captain often picks up numbers for 20+ people ( though maybe it's because they know him).
    Officially someone else can pick up your number but they need to bring a permission letter signed by you along with a photocopy of your passport/ID.

Think its a different picture at the general collection point Meno- from other races the threshold of ID in the AAI pick up is way lower than the general area?

drquirky wrote: »
    Think its a different picture at the general collection point Meno- from other races the threshold of ID in the AAI pick up is way lower than the general area?

You could be right about AAI area, but I know you can pick up other peoples numbers (not AAI) as long as you have their reg form and a letter of permission. I have done so myself.

You could be right about AAI area, but I know you can pick up other peoples numbers (not AAI) as long as you have their reg form and a letter of permission. I have done so myself.

its just with all the shennanagins at DCM last year, I looked into it to see if CL's star pacer could pick up my number and they couldn't. Under no circumstances I was told????
    Maybe it depends on who you speak to?? :confused:

its just with all the shennanagins at DCM last year, I looked into it to see if CL's star pacer could pick up my number and they couldn't. Under no circumstances I was told????
    Maybe it depends on who you speak to?? :confused:

Ah I get it, they didn't teach you the secret handshake? ;)
    Now that you've joined MSB maybe they will :p

No seriously even in london etc there always has to be a way to pick up the number for someone who can't make the expo. As I say the reg form, a signed letter of permision and a copy of the passport is proof enough that the person gives you permission. I have went up to collect someones number a few times with all this documentation and they just handed it over to me without even looking at the documents!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ah I get it, they didn't teach you the secret handshake? ;)
    Now that you've joined MSB maybe they will :p

No seriously even in london etc there always has to be a way to pick up the number for someone who can't make the expo. As I say the reg form, a signed letter of permision and a copy of the passport is proof enough that the person gives you permission. I have went up to collect someones number a few times with all this documentation and they just handed it over to me without even looking at the documents!!

Yep, I've done Dublin a few times and never been to the Expo, always had someone else pick up my number with no probs, just did what Meno mentions above.

TbL

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Just in from a LSR of 26km, was an average pace of 9.05. Feeling it now.

Dub13 wrote: »

Hi Dub13 and you're very welcome to the thread! Did you feel fairly comfortable for most of the run this morning? Well done. Great to be up to those distances at this stage in the year. It'll stand to ya!
    Going back to your first post and your quandary about the run Ireland training plans, I was looking at the Intermediate one and there seems to be a fairly hefty speedwork session each Wednesday. Would you be doing much in the way of speedwork at the moment? If not I'd say it might be a recipe for injury. Also, I've just seen the long run set-up. Every second week you have either a race or a race-pace session and a 10k race 2 weeks before the marathon :eek: It seems like a fairly advanced plan to me. I know some people on this forum would do similar in a marathon build up but they'd be fairly advanced runners.
    Here's the plan if anyone cares to jump in with their advice. Maybe someone here has done it and they can let you know how they found it:

http://www.runireland.com/sites/www.runireland.com/files/Training_for_marathon.pdf

Another option would be to do the Beginner one and tweak it a bit so that you're not stepping back on your current mileage. I definitely wouldn't advise going backwards at this stage. Nice run again this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

How have you all been doing with the wet weather running over the last couple of days? Better get used to it if you're not already. There's gonna be days when you'll be spending a long time out in woeful conditions!!

Do you all have good gear for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

Hi all, thanks Ososlo, I've picked up a lot of really good tips. Looking forward to following this thread over the months ahead, the advice so far has been great. I'm a male, 28, and I've been running for 14 months. The farthest I have ever run is 10K. The most running I have ever done in a single week is about 16 miles. So I have a lot of work to do!

-- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5K 18:40 Leixlip, May 2014
    10K 41:20 ARC Cancer Support Run, Phoenix Park, May 2014

-- Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No.

-- How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    2-3 days per week. Mostly 5K and 5 mile, sometimes 10K distances.

--What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream: sub 3:30
    Happy: sub 3:50

--How many days a week can you train?
    4 or 5 days.

-- Why are you running this marathon?
    To learn more about running, training, and nutrition. To push myself. And that thought... how satisfied I would feel on crossing the finish line in my target time...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

krafty wrote: »
    I've been running for 14 months. The farthest I have ever run is 10K. The most running I have ever done in a single week is about 16 miles. So I have a lot of work to do!

-- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5K 18:40 Leixlip, May 2014
    10K 41:20 ARC Cancer Support Run, Phoenix Park, May 2014

:eek:

Jealous!!!!!

Good luck. You've got serious potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Dub13 wrote: »

Looks like you have a good base and great to see you getting good mileage in now.

If your target time for a DCM finish is just under 4hrs then my read of your LSR pace is that its way too fast. I'd be dialling it back at least 35/40 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

What the general opinion on running races during training for DCM. I plan to do a few 10ks. One a month in july,august,september

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think its fine, a lot plans include tune up races, I posted above the races I'm planning to run between now and October.

What the general opinion on running races during training for DCM. I plan to do a few 10ks. One a month in july,august,september

I think a few is a good idea as long as it does nt mess up your long runs too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Just in from a run, 10 miles avg pace 10.51. Breathing was no problem but the legs are done in! I didn't calculate what pace i should have been doing before i went but figured around 10.30 - must do those calculations..anyway, lots of work to do before ill be running that 2 1/2 times over! Didn't get caught in the rain tho yay :-)

A half marathon in September would serve as much better preparation imo for your marathon rather than a 10k. Doing the 2 might lead to injury. As Sam says, you don't want to mess up your long slow runs either as these are the backbone of marathon training and far more important imo. Also, you'd be tapering a bit before a 10k and recovering a bit from it for a few days afterwards so you might be missing a lot of mileage in the months of August, September. I'd drop the September one personally but others might have different opinions.

Firedance wrote: »
    Just in from a run, 10 miles avg pace 10.51. Breathing was no problem but the legs are done in! I didn't calculate what pace i should have been doing before i went but figured around 10.30 - must do those calculations..anyway, lots of work to do before ill be running that 2 1/2 times over! Didn't get caught in the rain tho yay :-)

Woo hoo! Nice one! To be honest, I wouldn't get too caught up at this stage in calculating paces etc. If, as you said, your breathing was comfortable and you were enjoying it and not pushing it, I'd say you were doing it at the correct effort. Did you have a bit left in the tank?
    It'd be normal enough at this stage for your legs to be feeling tired and achey. Very easy does it now for the next few days and if you are running in the next day or two, make sure it's recovery effort, so extremely comfortable and quite short - 30-40 mins or so. You're flying it!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    A half marathon in September would serve as much better preparation imo for your marathon rather than a 10k. Doing the 2 might lead to injury. As Sam says, you don't want to mess up your long slow runs either as these are the backbone of marathon training and far more important imo. Also, you'd be tapering a bit before a 10k and recovering a bit from it for a few days afterwards so you might be missing a lot of mileage in the months of August, September. I'd drop the September one personally but others might have different opinions.

I did a 10 km two and a half weeks before DCM and I did nt cut the mileage before hand, got a nice Pb which gave me courage! I would say pick your races carefully and early and that way you can incorporate them in your plan!

Advertisement