Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first marathon

Options
  • 02-06-2013 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, I’m signed up for DCM this year as my first marathon.

I like to be well prepared (well in advance :o) and to learn from more experienced people’s mistakes/successes :)

so my question to those of you who have run a marathon(s) is:

If you could run your first marathon again, what would you do differently in training/preparation?

Or, if you were happy with your first marathon, what were the factors (in training and prep) that you feel led to your success?

Thanks in advance!
    Ososlo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I am running my first marathon in Cork in the morning...the biggest regret I have is not following through on my training plan. I missed far too many runs with the attitude of 'i'll do the long run next week instead' etc etc.

So if you are going to commit to a marathon, get your plan in place early and try to execute all the runs. Account for maybe 1 or 2 weeks in the plan that you wont be able to run due to niggles or sickness and you will be doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Follow this thread. The equivalent served me well last year. The only thing I can say is enjoy it! I enjoyed mine thoroughly and it was because I followed the advice on the novices thread last year, even though some of the advice seems in opposition to what you think you should do! Learn from the masters!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've done two. After both I felt I should have trained more. Don't skip sessions, never skip long runs.

I comfortably beat my goal time on both, but at some point after signing up I decided to aim for a faster time and go with a faster pace group to see of I could "hang on". It didn't work and I ended up hobbling along the N11 hoping I could creep in before my original goal time. So don't get sucked into goal creep.

The best race I ever ran was a Half Marathon earlier this year in Carlingford. I wasn't overly confident in my preparation so I decided I would go easy and run a pace I knew I could hold for the distance. I figured I could pick up the pace after 11k if I felt good. I ran a negative split and beat my previous best by 10 minutes. That's how I'd like to run Dublin this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Trained well but got spooked on the day and didn't run to potential- so stick to the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I was woefully undertrained for my first marathon. If I could do it again I would make sure I would pick a training plan in advance and stick to it - which is what I did for my subsequent marathons, and they went so much better as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Also doing ny first marathon (in a couple of hours). I would do two things differently. I should have built a couple of months base, of about 50km a week, and I should have given myself a couple of extra weeks to allow for injury or life mini-crises! An extra two weeks would have made a huge difference, given that my injuries occurred in the last 5 weeks of the programme.

One other thing I'll do differently next time is find someone to do some of the longer runs with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

scriba wrote: »
    Also doing ny first marathon (in a couple of hours). I would do two things differently. I should have built a couple of months base, of about 50km a week, and I should have given myself a couple of extra weeks to allow for injury or life mini-crises! An extra two weeks would have made a huge difference, given that my injuries occurred in the last 5 weeks of the programme.

One other thing I'll do differently next time is find someone to do some of the longer runs with. :)

I would agree with that I am doing my first in about 2 and hours time, while I'm looking forward to it, I know I didn't train properly for it, you need to give yourself plenty of time, do the long runs I missed 3 due to injury, it's a big commitment especially with a family, I wouldn't worry about times just maybe six weeks before when you know how your training is going, most of all enjoy and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

A plan is a pre-requisite. Aside from that I think that the thing that helped me the most was using a heart rate monitor to gauge the efforts for each training run. I also planned how to use it in the marathon which helped me hold back in the early stages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What would I change?

I'd train with more miles, I wasn't doing nearly near enough miles each week at the time I took on Cork Marathon back in 2011. I was making doing 20-30miles per week, that wasn't nearly enough.

I aimed for sub 4hr and came in with a 4:34 time, was seriously annoyed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I wouldn't change anything.

Yes, I could have done with doing more miles and training better, but the same could be said now. I still learnt that a marathon done wrong can hurt a lot, but would having done lots and lots of miles in training and staying off the drink, and not eating as much cake or any number of other things have made for a feeling of a better achievement? Or taught me anything new about the marathon? Nope, that would have just meant that marathons would annoy me with their demands on my time and commitment.

Take advice from people on what you can do better and make things easier for yourself. But I don't loose much sleep over having ignored any of those things that I "should" have done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

robinph wrote: »
    I wouldn't change anything.

Yes, I could have done with doing more miles and training better, but the same could be said now. I still learnt that a marathon done wrong can hurt a lot, but would having done lots and lots of miles in training and staying off the drink, and not eating as much cake or any number of other things have made for a feeling of a better achievement? Or taught me anything new about the marathon? Nope, that would have just meant that marathons would annoy me with their demands on my time and commitment.

Take advice from people on what you can do better and make things easier for yourself. But I don't loose much sleep over having ignored any of those things that I "should" have done.

+1

It's your first marathon so don't be too harsh on yourself whatever happens. You really don't know what's going to happen to your body from miles 20 onwards. People say the crowd will help but to be honest I was in that much pain I didn't care who from the crowd was there or how many where watching all I wanted to do was finish each mile in my head and get over the finish line.

Trust me the feeling of delight when you cross the finish line will be amazing. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

10 full marathons and I'm still looking for the near perfect race. You'll only learn from your mistakes, and that goes for more experienced runners as well. Like others have said put in the miles, have some sort of plan, your long run is so important, learn a bit about what your body likes to fuel on before racing, run a half marathon or two if you haven't already, learn to pace yourself...just some of the basics. Follow the novice thread as you'll get plenty of basic tips and try to put them into practice.

But no matter what you will make mistakes and you will learn so much from your first marathon. So enjoy it and don't worry too much about it, you'll only ever do your first marathon once.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If you could run your first marathon again, what would you do differently in training/preparation?

Mine went almost perfectly according to plan. My goal was sub-4, my time was 4:02. Most of that extra 2 minutes went on not allowing for the extra 300-400m you will run on the day. Schoolboy error.

Or, if you were happy with your first marathon, what were the factors (in training and prep) that you feel led to your success?

A plan that suited my base. For me that was Hal Higdon Novice 2 as I wasn't a complete beginner having been running regularly 2-3 times a week for about a year. The suitable plan meant I could stick to it, not get injured, and do all the long runs. Not having to make toilet stops is also a huge bonus on your first marathon (you won't believe the amount of peeing you see happening along the route) so arrive at the line well hydrated, and don't drink too much on the day.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ososlo wrote: »

Possibly a little more mileage overall - I'm not sure if Hal Higdon Novice 1 really provides enough overall mileage for most people in preparation for your first marathon.
    Ososlo wrote: »

I beat my target by 20 minutes! Targeted 4:45, wore 4:45 and 5:00 pace bands, finished in 4:24 with only a 2 minute positive split. Very conservative targeting, trying to keep everything as even as possible, no real spikes of any sort. Knew the course well - ran Dublin (in 2009) as my first and I've lived here my whole life, so kinda knew what to expect in terms of terrain-related difficulty. Also trained in all my raceday gear beforehand and only used gels that I'd used for my long runs so had absolutely nothing new.

I've still only done 3 though, the last 2 years for me have been an absolute horrorshow of injuries and illness so haven't raced longer than 13.1 in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Unless you are an experienced runner, do not focus on a goal time in your first marathon. Focus on trying to enjoy the day, on running the whole 26.2 miles, on running to finish, on staying positive, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Just completed my first yesterday in Derry. Awesome experience.

Main thing I would do differently would be to join a running club or at least ensure I had company during the long runs. Makes for more sociable, enjoyable and effective training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Run my LSRs at 1.5 - 2 mins per mile slower than my target race pace rather than at race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Stretching after every run. I was really bad at stretching, and as a result, I ended up with problems a few weeks before DCM.

Recovery runs. I should have done more of these. They def help the legs loosen out.

I was happy out, plan was sub 4, got 3.59.19. What helped, was not missing any LSR's. Also, for me personally, going over 20 miles a few times really helped with my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Do more 20 milers and run more than 3 times a week and more miles in general. I followed HH2 and maxed out at 38 miles a week. I would also run less tune up races as these comprised a good chunk of training either side of them.

Or, if you were happy with your first marathon, what were the factors (in training and prep) that you feel led to your success

I was very happy. Aimed for 3.45ish, got 3.38. Biggest factor had to be joining a club. Suddenly an 8 mile run was a piece of cake and my normal pace felt a lot easier with the introduction of speedwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was told by a buddy (who had completed one marathon) that you needed to do 5 x 20 mile training runs in the lead-up to a marathon. I wasn't really a runner at the time, but I don't regret a single second of those 20 mile runs. I had a Polar HRM and I just focused on keeping my heart rate below 156 (seemed like a good arbitrary number). If I got a do-over, I would follow a structured plan from the beginning, but I would still do those 5 x 20 mile runs. Originally I thought breaking 4 hours would be a reasonable target, but instead I romped home in 3:25.

Regrets (I've had a few):
    • Wore an mp3 player for the first 15 miles of the race, until it dropped and smashed. I was much better off. It was just an unnecessary distraction.
    • Taking sugar with sugar: Tried to take some gels, washed down with sports-drink. Ended up feeling very nauseous afterwards.
    • I ran Dublin marathon 8 weeks later. I think it would have been a better first marathon than Longford, as I ran most of Longford marathon on my own, with few people in sight. Nothing wrong with Longford marathon, I just reckon Dublin would have been a better experience. When you pop your cherry, you want it to be a special experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Like many others have said already, more miles. The longest run I did was 13.1 miles(race series half). Should've done a good few 20+ milers but I thought I could blag my way through somehow. Blew up at 22miles and for the next 3 miles or so it was a suffer-fest like no other with me taking both sides of the road like a drunk. Just after 25miles though I got it back and was fine???? Crazy sh1t.

But having said all that it was the marathon I was the most fresh for, I got to the startline feeling very strong and super confident(somewhat misplaced as it turned out) and up until 22miles gone I was in great shape. Subsequent marathons have gone the opposite direction, I've overcooked training and gotten to the startline carrying injuries as a result. So if you can get the balance right you're laughing. Dont overcook it but do a few long runs aswell. I know this is a controversial subject but I think its a good idea to do some training runs on empty. And I dont agree with the philosophy of just completing the distance for your first marathon. Aim high, pick a time and go for it. Theres nothing like a target to drag you up a level. Also it makes things more enjoyable when you got something to race for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

lovin' the replies folks and really appreciate you all taking the time. It's an education:)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Did my first marathon, DCM, last year, would advise not skimping on footware, make sure you have decent runners fitted in a sports shop like Elverys or Amphibian King - would have saveed me numerous trips to the physio if I'd known:o.
    Best of luck with training and the marathon - it'll be the best thing you'll ever do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

There's not an awful lot I'd change about my first marathon itself, despite being injured for weeks afterwards, but I suppose I'd change a few things about the training and the aftermath:

1. My long run progression on consecutive weeks went 11 - 14 - 17 - 21. I should have done more marathon-specific long runs prior to September 2005, with the marathon in October.

2. I should have started proper training before July. My body coped well enough with the training load from then, but I think the raceday injury I got was due to inadequate training.

3. I should not have worn a GAA jersey running a marathon. I wore my Monaghan jersey proudly as a badge of honour for my first three marathons. Dublin 2005 was a rainy old day, so my jersey, which had been white and blue at the start was white, blue and red by the end. Wear appropriate clothing for running!

4. Although I injured my knee in the race, I did not go to physio or get the injury checked out or treated properly. As a result, I did not do any running from October 2005 until January 2006. For the first couple of weeks, I thought that it was normal and that everyone would be in bits after a first marathon. Listen to your body.

5. Having gone from 13.5 stone in June 2005 down to 10.75 stone for DCM 2005, I was back over 13 stone by January 2006. Completely ridiculous that I undid all of the good work completely, and had to start completely from scratch again just 3 months after running a 3:36 marathon

Very minor regrets in comparison to the completely positive affect that running has had on my life over the last 8 years. Starting running marathons is one of the best things I've ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Clearlier wrote: »
    A plan is a pre-requisite. Aside from that I think that the thing that helped me the most was using a heart rate monitor to gauge the efforts for each training run. I also planned how to use it in the marathon which helped me hold back in the early stages.

I have been training religiously with a heart rate monitor since last October and find it invaluable as I feel that it's very hard to know your true easy pace unless it's monitored. Especially for an inexperienced runner. I don't wear it in races as I tried once and it made me feel a bit sick as I felt it constricted me so not sure about wearing it for DCM. I think I'd rather run by pace that day. But yes I totally agree that it's a great way to gauge effort in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

I thoroughly enjoyed my first marathon, but was in bits before it (MAJOR taper madness) and was in bits after with a groin strain. Couldn't run for weeks afterwards.
    One thing I'd change? Core work! Get the core in gear and it'll really stand to you. I started pilates a few months after and just wished I'd found it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Tricky question this. :) You're a different person coming at it from a different view point after you've ran the first marathon. There are plenty of things that I could have done differently, would do differently in the future but that's because now I'm thinking of better times / performances and what could be done to achieve these rather than the mindset of I simply want to finish the marathon that I was in last year.

My short comings from last year were:

I was both under trained and over trained. Makes no sense at first glance so I best explain that one. I only started running in January, came from absolutely no fitness base at all - pure couch potato stuff and started a couch to 5 k program. By the time I could run 5k I wanted to run 10k, then I wanted to run 15k then it was a half marathon etc - As a noob I equated progress with distance which now that I'm older and wiser can appreciate this is not always the case. :) Ultimately I set my sights on running DCM 10 months after beginning running and starting from 16 stone in weight. Ultimately carrying so much weight coupled with stepping up the mileage required to train for the marathon caused a serious enough injury which laid me out a few weeks before the race. I stubbornly ignored all advice not to go ahead with the race (as is documented in these parts ;)) and completed it anyway in a relatively (to most on here anyway) poor time and with a lot of walking involved. I didn't have the miles done to hit the marathon at any kind of speed (longest LSR was 16 miles) but at same time had too many miles done over the course of the months for the body to handle. All that said - I went into DCM with the sole focus of finishing it. I had no time goals, was very happy with the result and have no regrets about it. After laying off with the injury I found myself back at the start this year - in a similar position fitness wise and indeed weight wise. It was my intention to run DCM this year but that would be making the same mistake again and I'm now taking a long term approach and aiming for DCM 14 (or perhaps a spring marathon next year) Either way I will be doing it off a reasonably well established base rather than hurtling along trying to keep up with the program from week 1. I'd also be aiming for a respectable time too and will be giving this time over the distance the respect it deserves.

The advice from all of the above is simply this: Make sure you balance off your own goals for the race versus the training required to meet them and the proper established base you currently have. Just because you ran week 1 of whatever program you are following a couple of weeks before the program starts doesn't neccessarily mean you are strong enough to use that week as a basis to be building on in the medium term. If you are short on the training at any point in the journeyt, even if that's now before starting the programs then consider revising your goals or revising when you will do your first marathon.

Other very important thing is to get kitted out properly - a good pair of runners competently fitted by a professional running store is the best investment you will make.

Also when you get to the finish line - remember to smile and look up for the camera. It's a great moment - don't have yourself looking down fumbling with your garmin as the image captured for posterity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

DCM 2012 was my first. I really enjoyed it and the only thing I would do differently is not write the race report at 2a.m the next morning! Oh and maybe wear race shorts because the ones I wore were uncomfortable even though I'd worn them a few times before.

I was aiming for sub 4 and finished in 3:57. I think looking back I could have had a more aggressive target but I wanted to make sure I enjoyed it and for the sake of a few minutes I think that was a good decision. I felt strong all the way and pushed on from the 4hr pacers after the UCD flyover. I think the race went well because:

- Even though I only started running consistently in Apr I was always relatively fit and I had done a couple of 20 mile runs before I started the 18 wk programme in Jun

- I did plenty of mileage (550 miles over 18 weeks) and ran 5 days a wk mostly

- I did 1 x 18 miles and 3 runs of 20 ish miles including the 3/4 marathon in Athlone which I thought was a brilliant prep race

- I did plenty of recovery runs

- My easy runs were never too fast

- The single most important thing I did was find the Novice thread in June :D I got loads of great advice regarding training and pacing and the race itself

Advertisement