Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Ososlo wrote: »
    Agree with blockic entirely on this. Not worth depending on them being there. There were High 5 gels (don't know any more details)

If you buy a pair of the super shorts I mentioned in my opening post, you can easily carry your own (6-+) with no discomfort of gel belts etc.
    Great to be thinking about his stuff early on adrian522:D
    Preparation is the key;)

Where are the super shorts you speak of i couldnt find any mention? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

slingerz wrote: »

there are a number of brands - I wear Hilly which has numerous loops and holders. If no such shorts are available, buy a gel belt. They aren't intrusive and work very well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

On Gels, Shot Bloks might be an option if you can't deal with the gels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

here you go:
    http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/RaceReady-Active-Mens-V-Notch-Short-With-Pockets-p/2311ld.htm

If I can give anyone one piece of advice, that'd be to get a pair of these. I hated the idea of wearing a gel belt but these were fantastic! 6 pockets I think at the back and 2 at the side. Perfect! And they look good too:D

here you go:
    http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/RaceReady-Active-Mens-V-Notch-Short-With-Pockets-p/2311ld.htm

If I can give anyone one piece of advice, that'd be to get a pair of these. I hated the idea of wearing a gel belt but these were fantastic! 6 pockets I think at the back and 2 at the side. Perfect! And they look good too:D

Cheers I've been training for the cork half in June and have been struggling with carrying gels in training

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

thanks for all the gel suggestions, will give them a try and see how they feel, good to have so much time to figure all this out :-)

Cheers I've been training for the cork half in June and have been struggling with carrying gels in training

Some people can work the gel belt thing. I just couldn't. I found it impossible to find any running shorts in the shops with more than one pocket but these were recommended to me and I wore them on every long slow run and the race itself and carried 6 gels (i think) on the day. Can't recommend them highly enough. Great if you have to take a key or other small items too.

Firedance wrote: »

But I am a lady - (said in a David Walliams voice:P)
    Ha yes the only reason I put the link up to the mens' ones was 'cause they are always in the majority around these parts:rolleyes:

Some people can work the gel belt thing. I just couldn't. I found it impossible to find any running shorts in the shops with more than one pocket but these were recommended to me and I wore them on every long slow run and the race itself and carried 6 gels (i think) on the day. Can't recommend them highly enough. Great if you have to take a key or other small items too.

Yep the key carrying problem is another hoop i must jump through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Philrunner83

Like many others I've been waiting ages for this thread to come up after been a lurker on boards checking for this to come up so decided to bite the bullet and join up... I'm delighted we have fantastic mentors to help us all on our journey to DCM14 as from the first post a lot of my questions were answered already. Thank you and keep up the excellent work it's very appreciated by us novice runners.

Like many others I've been waiting ages for this thread to come up after been a lurker on boards checking for this to come up so decided to bite the bullet and join up... I'm delighted we have fantastic mentors to help us all on our journey to DCM14 as from the first post a lot of my questions were answered already. Thank you and keep up the excellent work it's very appreciated by us novice runners.
    And fantastic to have you join our band of merry men and women Philrunner! Feel free to tell us a little more about yourself if you so wish. Remaining mysterious is acceptable too ;)
    What's on the first page is but the tip of the iceberg as we'll be discussing those topics and so many more in minute detail over the months! The tip of the iceberg I tells ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

here you go:

Those shorts look the business, must get me a pair. As one of the novices from last year, who followed c_m's plan, I can't recommend this thread highly enough. It is a fantastic resource to help you through every aspect of preparation. In Ososlo you have a dedicated athlete as a mentor and are in safe hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Re: Carry gels: I'd seen recently the suggestion that if you don't wear a belt to pin the gels onto your shorts - seemed like a great solution and one worth trying out in LSRs: http://coachlevi.com/running/how-to-pin-energy-gels-to-your-running-shorts/

Its certainly less risky than them falling out of pockets and they won't be bouncing all over the place. Though you'd want to make sure you apply plenty of body glide to the area.

Personally I couldn't live without my gel belt. It also holds the car/house keys and the mp3 player when I'm out on my LSRs. You seriously are not aware of it when running:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/spibelt-water-resistant/

Re: options other than Gels - I'd definitely recommend trying various sweets/jellies. Having kids in the house is great as I tend to rob train with all types of sweets from Jelly Beans, Jelly Babies to Sour Cherries (my favourite :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Epic opening post Ososlo. Delighted to see you leading things this year. As you know already I've done DCM before but would still consider myself on the novice side of things and am going to bed in here with you guys for this years attempt. I have been researching marathon plans trying to find a balance between novice and a plan that allowed for a bit of pace and speed work. This saves me from working one out. :pac:

May as well fill in the questions anyway ....

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

My race history and PBs are very soft. First attempt at running in 2012 was off a zero fitness base and weighing in at 17 stone, couch to 5k to a 5 mile 47:10, half marathon 2:18:30 and an under trained due to injury marathon in 5:36:53. Took most of 2013 off and got back out there late last year. Coming off a stronger base now 5 mile PB should read 40/42 by Sunday week.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    I actually find this question a bit of a red herring even though I asked it myself at one point ! I don't have to but some times do if a particular hard session demands it or has it built in. We do club sessions for example where we run hard laps, walk for half a lap, go again etc.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Run 4/5 times a week. 20 ish miles. One LSR 10 miles at moment but gradually increasing. Trying to balance progress with injury prevention.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Too early to answer this. Weight is plummeting off again and big progress is being made speed wise. Ball parks of 4:00 - 4:30 currently with 4:00 being a possible dream time and 4:30 being more realistic. True dream times would be 2:30 :pac:

How many days a week can you train?

Why are you running this marathon?
    Unfinished business. I want to have a proper crack at this beast whilst fully trained and prepared.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    OK, I am tempted to answer these questions. I'm not saying I am going to do DCM this year. But I'll put myself into the pot as a possibility (even though I think I have already bugged the life out of last years’ mentor with every marathon training question known to man and I can't possibly still have more left to ask ;) )

I did say on a thread somewhere that I would be giving DCM a miss this year. One of the reasons for that was we were expecting our second baby which was literally due the very day after DCM. Well that didn't work out so that excuse is gone. But that wasn't the only reason why I'm not sure to do it. One of the Dublin HMs on either August bank-holiday Monday or the one in September was to be my main focus of the year. I completed a HM 11 months ago and it I got injured in the process and I was out for 2½ months after it and it put an end to my DCM 2013 ambitions. I think I took a big hit to my confidence of completing a marathon training program or an actual marathon because of it....and because of the fact that I have had numerous other injuries since I started running nearly 2 years ago. But I feel myself getting stronger and I think the injuries will be less frequent – but I still think another years work on it would be my best chance and I am building up my LSR distances a lot slower than most people probably do. I’m gonna stay plugging away at it anyway and see what falls into place if anything.
    Sorry I somehow missed this earlier Laois_man! Can't say I'm not surprised to see you here but delighted you are:D
    Sure you have loads of time to make up your mind so better in than out at this point:) Join in the fun, see how you get on and time will tell what the best thing is for you to do. I'm getting so caught up in the DCM excitement that I'm tempted to throw my hat in myself!!! But I won't... I made a promise...

Epic opening post Ososlo. Delighted to see you leading things this year. As you know already I've done DCM before but would still consider myself on the novice side of things and am going to bed in here with you guys for this years attempt. I have been researching marathon plans trying to find a balance between novice and a plan that allowed for a bit of pace and speed work. This saves me from working one out. :pac:

May as well fill in the questions anyway ....

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

My race history and PBs are very soft. First attempt at running in 2012 was off a zero fitness base and weighing in at 17 stone, couch to 5k to a 5 mile 47:10, half marathon 2:18:30 and an under trained due to injury marathon in 5:36:53. Took most of 2013 off and got back out there late last year. Coming off a stronger base now 5 mile PB should read 40/42 by Sunday week.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    I actually find this question a bit of a red herring even though I asked it myself at one point ! I don't have to but some times do if a particular hard session demands it or has it built in. We do club sessions for example where we run hard laps, walk for for half a lap, go again etc.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Run 4/5 times a week. 20 ish miles. One LSR 10 miles at moment but gradually increasing. Trying to balance progress with injury prevention.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Too early to answer this. Weight is plummeting off again and big progress is being made speed wise. Ball parks of 4:00 - 4:30 currently with 4:00 being a possible dream time and 4:30 being more realistic. True dream times would be 2:30 :pac:

How many days a week can you train?

Why are you running this marathon?
    Unfinished business. I want to have a proper crack at this beast whilst fully trained and prepared.
    Nice one...and fair play...
    With your experience, you'll be able to help out loads here so great to have you as part of the crew:cool:
    I'd say the plan would suit you well but continue with the club stuff for sure as it really seems to be bringing you along so you could drop our Wednesday 'session' type run and do the club session instead.
    Really delighted you joined!
    Ain't life funny sometimes...

Nice one...and fair play...
    With your experience, you'll be able to help out loads here so great to have you as part of the crew:cool:
    I'd say the plan would suit you well but continue with the club stuff for sure as it really seems to be bringing you along so you could drop our Wednesday 'session' type run and do the club session instead.
    Really delighted you joined!
    Ain't life funny sometimes...

It sure is :) Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah will have to move some of the days around and tweak for sessions elsewhere but in the greater scheme of things basing off this plan will make a lot of sense. Plus I know how good the group support in these threads is. Will be happy to provide some myself along the way.

It sure is :) Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah will have to move some of the days around and tweak for sessions elsewhere but in the greater scheme of things basing off this plan will make a lot of sense. Plus I know how good the group support in these threads is. Will be happy to provide some myself along the way.

Yes:) And sure at the end of the day, we're all here for one thing and that's to improve our running so respect PM for jumping on board. You will have a lot to offer for sure.

Any of your clubmates doing dcm? Does your club do a marathon plan?

Yes:) And sure at the end of the day, we're all here for one thing and that's to improve our running so respect PM for jumping on board. You will have a lot to offer for sure.

Any of your clubmates doing dcm? Does your club do a marathon plan?

Not too sure tbh. I know a couple did it last year. Whether that was officially part of a club plan or not I don't know. The marathon organisers are based in the club itself so I'm assuming there will be plans in place for all levels.

• Advertisement

But I am a lady - (said in a David Walliams voice:P)
    Ha yes the only reason I put the link up to the mens' ones was 'cause they are always in the majority around these parts:rolleyes:

Lol am I on my own in here? Eek! :-)

Lol am I on my own in here? Eek! :-)

well I'm sure you won't be for long but definitely in the minority, that's for sure! Why I really don't know but it's the same every year. You'll get more attention though so look on the bright side;)

very tough but fantastic speed session at the club last night, I was paddy last from the start but everyone was super welcoming and encouraging I can see immediately why joining a club = progress, can't wait to get stuck in & really hoping for a good time in Maynooth next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

1st question :)

I'm gonna do the Hal Higdon plan (or close to it anyway).

How important are the mid-week middle distance runs?

Currently doing 3 X 5 mile lunchtime runs during the week and pushing out the LSR at the weekend (currently 13.5 miles).

If I stuck with this approach would it be ok do you reckon?
    I know ideally I should do them but it can be hard to find the time mid-week and I wouldn't get much longer than 5 miles in in the lunch hour.

very tough but fantastic speed session at the club last night, I was paddy last from the start but everyone was super welcoming and encouraging I can see immediately why joining a club = progress, can't wait to get stuck in & really hoping for a good time in Maynooth next weekend

Good woman. Well done last night! Going by your April 5k time your 10k goal (as stated in your first post here) will be no problem to you! Bet you'll smash it! McMillan is actually quite good in predicting times for the shorter distances.

frash wrote: »

Currently doing 3 X 5 mile lunchtime runs during the week and pushing out the LSR at the weekend (currently 13.5 miles).

I know ideally I should do them but it can be hard to find the time mid-week and I wouldn't get much longer than 5 miles in in the lunch hour.
    Hey fresh
    If you look at the plan, the medium long runs go up to 10 miles so I would consider them pretty important. The plan is all about progression and these runs progress from 3m to 10 miles. The Novice 1 plan is considered to be the minimum of what's required to do a marathon so I would consider them quite important. The mid-week run goes towards increasing your stamina and improving your overall strength and endurance. Could you do them after work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Hey fresh
    If you look at the plan, the medium long runs go up to 10 miles so I would consider them pretty important. The plan is all about progression and these runs progress from 3m to 10 miles. The Novice 1 plan is considered to be the minimum of what's required to do a marathon so I would consider them quite important. The mid-week run goes towards increasing your stamina and improving your overall strength and endurance. Could you do them after work?

Ah yeah I'll find the time somewhere and try & get as many of them in as possible.
    Will stick with the 5 mile runs then instead of doing the shorter runs in the plan too so hopefully that will balance out a little if I do miss the odd medium run.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well the Wednesday run only increases beyond 5 miles from August so I'd say stick to the plan up until then at least, after that maybe try to do the run before or after work as I think you would be setting yourself up for injury if you are doing the long run at the weekend without doing the mid week miles.

Ah yeah I'll find the time somewhere and try & get as many of them in as possible.
    Will stick with the 5 mile runs then instead of doing the shorter runs in the plan too so hopefully that will balance out a little if I do miss the odd medium run.
    Great stuff. Aim to do as much as you can mid-week but the world's not gonna end if you miss one or two. You'll be grand ;) And yes, stick with the 5s and don't drop back to 3,4 miles runs as per the plan on the other days if you're used to doing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

They are important insofar as later in the plan you will be doing your long runs on tireder legs and this is great preparation for marathon. I would try get them in as much as possible as you will reap the benefits on marathon day with fresh legs after the taper

Advertisement