Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options
1205206207208209211»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Speaking of New York, check out the state of the dudes after the finishing line last Sunday....

ha, I was so much worse than them :pac:

(the trick to steps is to go down them backwards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Anyone else on the bench? Finding swimming just the job to keep things ticking over, although I am just splashing about at the moment. Have physio booked for later, fingers crossed there's a name for what's wrong with my knee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

first proper run last night with fellow clubmates, 5 miles at a reasonable pace, 9-930. Felt fantastic to be back out. A couple of people have advised not to do the club speed sessions 'for a while', is that good advice? when can I get stuck back into them? I don't want to do any damage but am missing them :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firedance wrote: »
    first proper run last night with fellow clubmates, 5 miles at a reasonable pace, 9-930. Felt fantastic to be back out. A couple of people have advised not to do the club speed sessions 'for a while', is that good advice? when can I get stuck back into them? I don't want to do any damage but am missing them :-)

I'd say once you have no niggles and really feel well recovered you'd be good to go next week. Obviously if anything feels not quite right just ease back. See how the next few easy runs go.
    Try to get a few more easy runs done before attempting anything faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Firedance wrote: »

Your body will probably tell you if you are pushing too hard. As Ososlo says, give it a go next week and it should be fine but if it doesn't feel right pull back on the throttle. No points for doing a hard session in November, 2 weeks after your first marathon.

I'm finding I feel fine...and been doing a reasonable amount of running (~40km this week) at easy pace. But as soon as I accelerate, I have a few bits and bobs that still hurt. Nothing major, but I just know I'm not fully recovered. Wondering how long it will take to disappear. I have no targets other than to not lose this wonderful base I have now, so not feeling too impatient about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I did a massive 4.5K in the lashing rain last night, my first run since the DCM......it was great just to be able to run :rolleyes:.

Going on a really long LSR over the weekend.......8K planned.

Also have signed up for the 10K Mo-Run in the Phoenix Park on the 15th, time to grow the tache!!

Anyone else doing this? (I might even dress up for the crack, wig & sunglasses etc ......:D). The medal looks cool and it's for a good Charity too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

smashiner wrote: »

Anyone else doing this? (I might even dress up for the crack, wig & sunglasses etc ......:D). The medal looks cool and it's for a good Charity too!!

FYI it's not actually for charity, it's organised by a for profit events company who might donate a small % of profits to movember. It's only for charity if you raise sponsorship yourself ( see thread in events forum for more details)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I also still have not been out for a run yet, I was in Madrid for a couple of days this week so hit the beer hard. I will go for a light run on Sunday morning, looking forward to getting back going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Another good article from Runners World about common mistakes. Some of it is targeted to more advanced runners, but gives a very good explanation about the importance of slow runs, pace, etc.

The Dirty Dozen
    12 mistakes (even experienced) runners make.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/dirty-dozen#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Ok guys.....we have a brand spanking new training log to keep us going over the winter. A place to refocus the mind and the training:)

Ok my in built link was an epic fail....I'll try this again in a more basic copy and paste manner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057322983

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

RIP old DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread.

It's been often frustrating but mostly enjoyable and ultimately relatively successful knowing you!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Just in case anyone hasn't ordered their Marathon photos yet and still intends to, here is a code for FinisherPix.com for 15% off.

Code: PIXMAS2014

Offer only valid on 2014 races held on or before 2/11/2014
    Offer runs until midnight on Christmas night
    Offer only valid on print and download products, no discounts on plaques and frames.

Advertisement