Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Sorry for butting in here, I'm not a bride but I am getting married next Sunday, very excited to say the least. After so much time and thought the idea that it will all be over and done so soon is very strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

nosietoes wrote: »
    Sticky - to be honest, I've been worried about your obsessive focus on your appearance too. Your fasting and dancing comments made me particularly concerned.

Sure, I want to look pretty (why I'm getting my hair and make up done and am taking better care of my skin than normal) but more interested in having fun and committing to my fiancé in front of everyone we value and love.

what's concerning about not wanting to wiggle your bingo wings around on the dancefloor when you are the sole focus of 150 pairs of eyes? I think that's a normal concern to have if you're self conscious of your arms?

Shur look at all the brides that wear long sleeved dresses or boleros to hide their arms....loads of people do. If I'm wearing a bolero or if i had a long sleeved dress I wouldn't give a fig about first dance arm position it'd be Dirty dancing all the way :P

Gee_G wrote: »
    Obviously if you have your heart set on semi permanent make up, go for it, but definitely research it, a lot, there are a lot of places using less quality products than is standard.

Do you think it's one of these things where price = quality? i.e. I shouldn't be going with the cheapest place coz seems a lot of salons do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Do you think it's one of these things where price = quality? i.e. I shouldn't be going with the cheapest place coz seems a lot of salons do it.

Yeah its not so much the products, but the training that the person providing the treatment has had! I am a therapist but don't do semi permanent make up, but as far as I know its generally a couple of hundred euro, but I have seen lots of people advertising through Facebook offering them for as little as €50/60/70. So I'd just make sure its a reputable salon! I really don't know much about it, I've just seen some horror stories(or pictures I should say!!) Through social media of people going to get their eyebrows done and one ended up completely different to the other or half way up their forehead etc.

Gee_G wrote: »
    Yeah its not so much the products, but the training that the person providing the treatment has had! I am a therapist but don't do semi permanent make up, but as far as I know its generally a couple of hundred euro, but I have seen lots of people advertising through Facebook offering them for as little as €50/60/70. So I'd just make sure its a reputable salon! I really don't know much about it, I've just seen some horror stories(or pictures I should say!!) Through social media of people going to get their eyebrows done and one ended up completely different to the other or half way up their forehead etc.

Ok. The salon near me at home does it for 370. That salon has been going 20 years I'd say and I've had mixed experiences at that salon through the years. If you get the owner it's grand but some of the other girls working there can be very mixed. Might find out who does the SPM so first off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Id say go more than four days to be safe sticky. Well you wouldn't use a bright coloured mouthwash as it can just add to staining of the teeth again, and yeah you can pick up mouthwash and paste for sensitive teeth..
    Are your teeth badly stained? If you don't mind answering.. Sorry just I have got both done and completely agree the white light one is much better but for badly stained teeth.. The one the dentist gives you is just as good though if you don't have badly stained teeth. I don't think you leave it in every night for a week, there are two types as far as I know. One you leave in overnight for that night that is it, tis up to you if you want to do it again the following night and another one Colgate normally that you leave in for a few hours...

I must say though you do baffle me.... I find it very odd how much makeup or kinda of product things you are mentioning from someone who mentioned they don't really use a lot of makeup or products..

Don't go too overboard, I am sure your man loves you for who you are now and not what you think you should look like on the day...You want him to recognise you when you meet at the alter.. I still laugh at that after getting my makeup trial done I think he would have been scared to see me in so much makeup..

My friend got hers done in Poland I am afraid but I defiantly would do a load of research before getting anything done... I actually wouldn't go down that route myself for fear that something would happen and it will ruin they day ye have been planning..

Is it just your worried about the lipstick coming off! You can get long wear lipstick, or like that just ask one of the bridesmaids to carry some for you...

nosietoes the shawl sounds loverly, I love the Indian shawls so pretty... I think you can buy the crest sheets online to be sent to Ireland but you cannot get them in the shops which is a shame..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Sorry for butting in here, I'm not a bride but I am getting married next Sunday, very excited to say the least. After so much time and thought the idea that it will all be over and done so soon is very strange!

Congratulations! Hope you both have an amazing day! Enjoy every second x

Milly33 wrote: »
    Id say go more than four days to be safe sticky. Well you wouldn't use a bright coloured mouthwash as it can just add to staining of the teeth again, and yeah you can pick up mouthwash and paste for sensitive teeth..
    Are your teeth badly stained? If you don't mind answering.. Sorry just I have got both done and completely agree the white light one is much better but for badly stained teeth.. The one the dentist gives you is just as good though if you don't have badly stained teeth. I don't think you leave it in every night for a week, there are two types as far as I know. One you leave in overnight for that night that is it, tis up to you if you want to do it again the following night and another one Colgate normally that you leave in for a few hours...

Oh right. Maybe I picked the dentist up wrong. The white smile clinic is only 79 euro the dentist is 240 I think she said? I thought she said you had to leave it in overnight several nights, maybe I heard her wrong so. My dentist gave me a crooked bite from a night-guard that he had fashioned for me (apparently my own fault coz I was meant to go back in to get it adjusted after a month and coz of living abroad, I didn't) so now I can't bite sellotape anymore, have to use a scissors! So when i heard the dentist receiptionist say 'it's like a night guard' I think I tuned out. I was delighted to see the White smile clinic are in Cork now, as I say I used them before (in Dublin) in 2011 for my sister's wedding so they are tried and tested in that sense. No I don't have badly stained teeth thank god. I like the idea of the white smile - 79 euro - just go in once for an hour, job done and I know the company. I don't trust my dentist with anything i have to put in my mouth at night! :D

Milly33 wrote: »
    .. I still laugh at that after getting my makeup trial done I think he would have been scared to see me in so much makeup..

What are you thinking now make-up wise? Gonna stick with the same MUA and try another trial?

well it kinda would have been you fault if you didn't go back to get it re-fitted haha. I know the dentist up here does a pack of whitening gels 4 one gel does 2 goes, for less than a hundred and they shouldn't charge that much for the mouth guard at all...Anywho sure the light one is easier

Not to sure what to do with the makeup, I defo didn't like it no matter how I tried to convince myself. I am waiting for a lady to come back with someone else's name and then ill see. I might ring the girl I had and say that I am just not sure, and see will I have another trial.. I didn't wear much makeup when I went down to her so this time I might do myself up and show her what I normally do and take it from there..She is a loverly lady so I would like to use her, just different tastes

• Advertisement

Exciting times, never heard of anyone getting married on a Sunday before, is that humanist?

Congrats Uno my Uno nearly there now....

I was kinda thinking the same recently about our own (well just that it isn't too far away and then that's it), it all seemed to kick off once we picked the date, and then we have the major saving and then getting bits and bobs ready and now its like mmm what to do..

I am sure married life will be as exciting and add a bit of yippee afterwards.. best of luck on the day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

what's concerning about not wanting to wiggle your bingo wings around on the dancefloor when you are the sole focus of 150 pairs of eyes? I think that's a normal concern to have if you're self conscious of your arms?

I think people are concerned because you can't seem to see the wood for the trees. If you think that people will be focusing on your arms during your first dance, you're missing the point of the whole day! I guarantee nobody will notice your arms or that your lipstick has worn off. It's worrying that you're so focused on your appearance for one day that you're considering things like semi-permanent makeup.

I saw your hair trial picture. You have gorgeous hair, and I'm sure you have a gorgeous face and body too. You'll never enjoy your day if you're consumed by worrying about your appearance.

Take a deep breath. Park the idea of semi-permanent makeup, extreme dieting and absurd arm positions. Think about the fact that you're marrying the love of your life in a picturesque setting, surrounded by your friends and family. That's the important thing, not how your arms or lips look :)

I have never heard that saying before Faith "can't seem to see the wood for the trees" it is very good...

Yes some good advice there, I for one cant follow at all at all... I think we should meet for a drink sticky haha it would be like opposites

Ah ye folks are no craic :-p
    I'm gonna depart early. Milly thx for all the tips esp the Wedding stuff for sale in Cork fb page, I got loads of helpful info on there!

Ah theres plenty of Craic the good kind, were just concerned youll go bonkers and end up something your not suppose to be haha.

That page is good alright I got in contact with a great wedding supplier one who actually comes back to you.
    Cant wait to get out of here, planning for a girly night tonight with two pals.enjoy the weekend all and sticky don't go out and get all your face done in permanent makeup or if you do post pics so we can see

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Can't believe my wedding is tomorrow! Spent all of today with my nearly husband and it was lovely, we laughed, we cried, going to have dinner soon then go our separate ways until tomorrow. Fit to burst with excitement now :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Sticky I really wouldn't go experimenting with anything so drastic this close to the wedding. It it really necessary.
    Get yourself a good lip exfoliating and moisturising routine going and get a good long lasting lipstick and you'll be fine. I literally have to scrub the rimmel apocolips off my nearly 3yo lips and I can see an outline for days because her skin is so soft.

Have you ever looked at a bride and thought she needs to top up her lipstick or her bingo wings are ugly when when she dances? I can't say I have. People will don't concentrate on that kinda stuff. But they do notice if you look unhappy on the day.
    Relax and enjoy the build up to the big day.

No wedding prep here this weekend. had to bring work home with me this weekend and I'm up with a teething baby now!
    Seriously need to do the design for the invitations so my friend can start working on them.

How long does it take freedom letters and all that jazz to get sorted? We have to go to two different parishes for bits and bobs, just wondering if I shld get on to that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

It took us a few days to get letter of freedom letters etc sorted. Give them a call first and your parish should have them ready for you to pick up in a few days.

My priest told me that letters of freedom have to be dated within 6 months of marriage date. He is organising hubby's one as its next parish over but I have to get mine from London including my confirmation cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

Just had my first dress fitting. My legs were properly shaking when i put the dress on! Only two weeks to go- getting very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My priest told me that letters of freedom have to be dated within 6 months of marriage date. He is organising hubby's one as its next parish over but I have to get mine from London including my confirmation cert.

You can just do a signed affidavit with a solicitor to state you were never married if it's hassle to get the letter of freedom from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

1st dress fitting with only 2 weeks to go?! I would have been so nervous. Well done for holding out!

I just got that call that my dress is in the country! I have 11 weeks to go, and will end up having my first dress fitting at 9 1/2 weeks out cos I just can't wait! I'm so nervous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

bluebell27 wrote: »
    Just had my first dress fitting. My legs were properly shaking when i put the dress on! Only two weeks to go- getting very real.

Good to hear of someone else doing it at the last minute! I have to too, due to circumstance. How many fittings are you getting done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

We are just inside the 6 month mark so I think I might just get the ball rolling on iy next week.
    We're getting married in my home parish but need freedom letters from where we're living now and his documents from another parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

Faith wrote: »
    Good to hear of someone else doing it at the last minute! I have to too, due to circumstance. How many fittings are you getting done?

It was meant to be here in March but git delayed. Second fitting is next weekend and then last one will be a few days before. Needs a bit of adjusting as lost some weight since was measured for it but was so good to see it and it will be a good fit when they are done i am sure Was having straps added to it as well and they look fab. Feel like a proper princess in it!

You can just do a signed affidavit with a solicitor to state you were never married if it's hassle to get the letter of freedom from abroad.

Thanks, that's good to know. My sister lives not too far away from the church so shouldn't be a problem.

Best of luck spankysue hope ye have a loverly day....

I'm sure she's having a ball!

• Advertisement

love hearing how the big day went when the brides to be come back so exciting

Advertisement