Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

This is a photo from my hair trial on Tues. I'll wear a comb with pearls on it and a comb with the veil on it, the veil will comeoff after the church/photos and the comb with the pearls will stay on

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

16 days to go here, or even scarier (or more exciting depending on your viewpoint), nine working days! :eek:

Have pics on my phone from my hair trial in March, my hair won't quite have grown back to where it was for that but it's not too far away and it should look good. I'm then probably going to get it cut the Monday after the wedding so it's good and short and not annoying me for the honeymoon - we're flying out on the Tuesday morning. Not posting pics of my hair trial though because I am absolutely hung over to feck in them :pac:

Milly33 wrote: »
    Have'nt got my hair done in ages looking forward to it.. Does everyone have their styles already picked, there are so many..

I had no styles picked going in for the trial but apparently pinterest is good for that kind of thing. I was going to go upstyle but have had last min change of heart. She said don't go all down in case it's a windy day, she also said you need something at the back some structure for the veil to go into so she recommended half up half down which is what I have here. I sweat really easily though so I'll have to pin it up myself for dancing

Have pics on my phone from my hair trial in March, my hair won't quite have grown back to where it was for that but it's not too far away and it should look good.

did you get it cut? I've been deliberately growing mine. my hair grows soooo slowly. I asked her actually on Tues should I get it cut before the wedding as it has split ends and she said yeah get the split ends cut off but do it sooner rather than later. She said that freshly cut hair can look very blunt as the end of the GHD curl or something so actually need to get that done on Saturday now.
    She also advised not washing hair on the day of the wedding :eek::eek: for a grease monkey like me that's a shocking suggestion. She said that day old hair will style and keep the GHD curl much better. I'll have to still wash the front bit around my hairline though as it gets so greasy but I suppose I could try following her advice.
    That means then I won't be able to do that thing you do wiht spray tans where you e.g. get the tan done on the Friday afternoon then have a shower Sat morning and go to the wedding. My wedding is on a Sat so I'll have to get the spray tan done on Thurs, have a shower Fri and then no shower again before the wedding. Or I suppose I could try using a shower cap on the big day? Hmm.
    She actually recommended getting the spray tan done 2 days before the wedding anyway. I've a wedding coming up in 2 weeks gonna try out her advice then also using the beautican she recommended for spray tan. Actually that hairdresser was full of good advice!

I had it cut 2 days after my hair trial, because the trial was done when I was pretty much at the "get rid of it" phase! I have short hair anyway though which I get cut around every 10 weeks. Mine grows like an absolute weed and is very thick naturally too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Sticky im he same total greaseball the day after I wash my hair. Try washing your hair the evening of the day before the wedding rather than the morning before. Also dry shampoo is great to sort any oil spills!

I'm getting married on the Friday and I'm getting tan done on Wednesday evening.

A showerccap will mind your hair grand on the morning of the wedding. Just tie it up in a ponytail/ bun first and you it will stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don't care. I am washing my hair that morning or ill feel gross.

fits wrote: »
    I don't care. I am washing my hair that morning or ill feel gross.

Same here. There's a good chance I'll want to swim in the hotel pool on the morning of the wedding to relax myself too and I'm not going without at least a quick hair wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Sticky - that's a great style! I'm hoping to do pretty much the exact same style - have actually just saved that photo to add to my other photos. I'm wearing a jenny packham glittery hair comb in mine but no veil. Need to book my hair trial in the next few weeks.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Sticky im he same total greaseball the day after I wash my hair. Try washing your hair the evening of the day before the wedding rather than the morning before. Also dry shampoo is great to sort any oil spills!

I'm getting married on the Friday and I'm getting tan done on Wednesday evening.

A showerccap will mind your hair grand on the morning of the wedding. Just tie it up in a ponytail/ bun first and you it will stay dry.

we're having our night after party the night before (just for those staying in the venue which is around 45 people plus kids) we have the rehearsal in the church (40 min drive away) at 6pm then a buffet dinner in the hotel at 19:30 and the bar will stay open til midnight hoping everyone goes to bed then. Don't know when I could wash my hair as I was planning on washing, drying and ghd'ing it for the buffer dinner/night before party. I suppose I could wash it around 5pm ish?
    Good to know your tan plans are same as what i'm thinking so. Just thinking though is it a good idea to subject a spray tan to 2 showers before the wedding? In the past I'd have only ever subjected them to 1 before whatever event I was going to.
    Again I'll trial this at the wedding I am attending in 2 weeks time I suppose.

She said she was going to put dry shampoo through my hair actually! I said i have the brown stuff at home she said she finds the white stuff ok on brown hair, I dunno might bring along my own stuff for her to use, she was saying the brown dry shampoo is expensive hence why she doesn't stock it I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sticky your hair is beautiful. Id love a style like that too but not sure I my hair will hold it as its quite fine. Was that just done with ghds?

nosietoes wrote: »
    Sticky - that's a great style! I'm hoping to do pretty much the exact same style - have actually just saved that photo to add to my other photos. I'm wearing a jenny packham glittery hair comb in mine but no veil. Need to book my hair trial in the next few weeks.

Oh I'm just remembering more pearls of wisdom from the hair trial. She said that veils can wreak havoc on a hairstyle. She had done her friends hair at a wedding last Sat and the friend had a full length veil and everyone was standing on it etc and between all the kisses, hugs, it being stood on, it getting caught on things she said she had to do a full set of new ghd curls for her friend before the meal up in the room! It certainly gave me a new persepctive on veils!
    She was delighted when I told her I am planning on wearing a short veil.
    I'd nearly wear no veil after what she said, I mean I won't have her or any hairdresser friend around to redo my hair before the meal!! But I dunno I won't feel like a bride without some bit of a veil, even a token one, on my head :-)

Another thing I've been thinking about since my make-up trial (gave my MUA her P45 btw - eek bit scary considering I don't have a replacement but worst comes to worst I'm gonna spend a lot of time at make up counters over the next few weekends and do it myself or get my bm to do it with the stuff I've bought) is what are we going to do about people kissing our cheeks? I reckon there'll be loads of that going on....especially from older man like FIL, Uncles etc. Friends will probably know to air kiss, anyway they won't want to ruin their own make up!
    I was thinking anyone goes in for the peck on the cheek when I'm greeting them all walking out of the church I might respond by going in for the hug 'Ah c'mere you, give me a hug!' kind of thing tongue.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

That's lovely sticky. I'm thinking of something similar too. I tried an upstyle a few weeks ago and even though it didn't budge it felt like it was going to fall down all day.
    I had two babies in 18 months and my hair thinned out and straightened after number 2. I was devastated, as I've always looked after my hair. Get it trimmed regularly, only style it if I'm going out other than that it had a nice curl and I cld just put some moose in it and go.
    Had to get a couple of inches off it late last year, as it had just gone so thin. It's starting to thicken back up now, but the natural curl hasn't really come back. Takes me 10 mins to blow dry it straight now, compared to 30 mins before the babies! My hairdresser reckons it will be down to my boobies by the time the wedding comes around and she will get me a hair piece to make it look fuller.
    I'm lucky that I don't have greasy hair so only wash it about twice a week anyways. If you're having an upstyle I really wouldn't advise washing it that morning, as there is a chance it won't hold. Think back to any bride you've seen - the majority of them didn't have freshly washed hair - did you notice??

I think I want a hairband and a shoulder length veil. Going to order a cheap one from aliexpress to see if I like it. I absolutely love the birdcage, but I just want to be a little bit different too.

EEK...most overused word in my vocabulay at the minute is different! But weddings are not the time for experimenting!!!

I had to google birdcage veil as you're the second person I heard mention it. Ah.....it's like a hair piece with net. I was picturing a veil actually shaped like a bird's cage - like some monstrosity on someone's head. What's 'birdcage' about a hair piece with net?

Fits yes it's just GHD curls. See I had washed my hair just before that trial hence it has a nice shine, will it have that same shine if washed the day before? I dunno. I'll try it out at the wedding i'm going to as a dummy run first coz this not washing the hair on the day of the wedding could be dodge!

Are you worried about your make up rubbing off as people kiss you/embrace you? What about ladies who do go in for the kiss, and get lipstick all over your cheek??? EEk....never though about that!

No idea why it's called a birdcage...but yes, it's just a piece of netting.

My hairdresser is a guest at the wedding but my sis is also a hairdresser (a blue rinse, granny type one, but hey, any port in a storm!). Also my MIL and BM are fairly handy with make up, so will be available for any touch ups needed.

kildareash wrote: »
    Are you worried about your make up rubbing off as people kiss you/embrace you? What about ladies who do go in for the kiss, and get lipstick all over your cheek??? EEk....never though about that!

No idea why it's called a birdcage...but yes, it's just a piece of netting.

My hairdresser is a guest at the wedding but my sis is also a hairdresser (a blue rinse, granny type one, but hey, any port in a storm!). Also my MIL and BM are fairly handy with make up, so will be available for any touch ups needed.

Yes i'm worried about the make up getting rubbed off with all the kisses.
    I think it's unavoidable though? When I think of how many bride's cheeks I've kissed in my day not realising.....it's gonna be payback time I suppose

I don't think it will rub off that easily. But you'll have something with you for touch ups anyway.

MY OH won't touch me with lipgloss or lipstick on...we're going to get to the "you can kiss the bride" part and he'll say no thanks or wipe his mouth afterwards!

kildareash wrote: »
    I don't think it will rub off that easily. But you'll have something with you for touch ups anyway.

MY OH won't touch me with lipgloss or lipstick on...we're going to get to the "you can kiss the bride" part and he'll say no thanks or wipe his mouth afterwards!

I never thought about that - lipstick getting on the groom's lips! Would that happen?

I never thought about that - lipstick getting on the groom's lips! Would that happen?

I dunno...I don't think he's going to be up for letting me practice either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

be the same with washing the hair I don't feel nice and clean unless I do have my hair freshly washed... going to be tough ditto with the growing of hair Sticky, would love if mine would grow faster.. I am just letting it off now to do with as is, and plan for the hairdresser to cut it to fit in with whatever style if needs be at least then all options are open

• Advertisement

Ok ladies I need your help. We've to pick a veggie option (to be served as an alternative to the fish course or meat course for someone that doesn't fancy it)

1. Roasted sweet potato, pear and pinenut salad with Apple, honey and blue cheese dressing

2. Goats cheese fritters with pickled beetroot, rocket salad and crushed walnuts

3. Spiced chickpea cake with braised red cabbage, basil pesto and feta cheese

4. Wild mushroom and spinach tart with vegetable crisps and truffle aioli

5. Potato gnocchi grilled asparagus, charred courgette, slow roasted tomatoes and mozzarella

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

They all sound delicious! I would go with the wild mushroom and spinach tart followed by the spiced chickpea cake. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ok ladies I need your help. We've to pick a veggie option (to be served as an alternative to the fish course or meat course for someone that doesn't fancy it)

1. Roasted sweet potato, pear and pinenut salad with Apple, honey and blue cheese dressing

2. Goats cheese fritters with pickled beetroot, rocket salad and crushed walnuts

5. Potato gnocchi grilled asparagus, charred courgette, slow roasted tomatoes and mozzarella

Opinions?

Wow, I would eat any and all of these. And I'm a true carnivore. :)

If you have anyone vegan or lactose intolerant coming, none of those options are appropriate - I would be a little careful there!

I like the idea of the spiced chickpea cake and the tart seems a very standard option and would be enjoyed by quite a lot of people. Gnocchi can seem a little like a starter or a pasta course rather than a main and the salad also seems very starter-ish.

I would go two or 4, are for starters or are they for mains?

Think the simpler the better with the vegetarian options. Might what to take note too like rainbow said for allergies or the gluten free of vegies.

Or pick one of your closest veg friends and ask them to pick. Speaking as a past vegie this is what id like

Main course options Milly. For veggie starter she said they'll just do our starter 9chicken caeser salad) without the chicken

No vegan or lactose intolerant coming.

our guest dietry req are:
    1 coeliac
    1 shellfish allergy
    1 onion allergy
    1 egg allergy
    1 vegetarian (eats fish)
    1 person that doesn't eat lamb

Now there could (prob will) be more that don't eat lamb on the day and there's bound to be some that don't eat fish so they will have a few spare veggie courses available.

I probably wouldn't go for another salad for the main if they're already having one for the starter. I would also make sure that there's no anchovies anywhere in the starter Caesar salad.

I probably wouldn't go for another salad for the main if they're already having one for the starter. I would also make sure that there's no anchovies anywhere in the starter Caesar salad.

Very good point about the salad! I think the tart might be a crowd pleaser based on votes here. Only thing is we've got a tart for dessert. At the tasting the head chef told us to avoid tarts as a starter if we're having a tart for dessert or people will be all 'tarted' out. Suppose the same applies to mains. So maybe goats cheese or chickpea cake ...
    We got to taste the chicken caeser salad at the tasting and there was no anchovies, I think he actually said they don't put them in coz people don't like them so they put sweet potato crisps on the top insteaed to add colour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Opinions?

Goats cheese and blue cheese are very divisive. If you don't like it, you hate it! Feta is much milder and more tolerable.

All sound lovely, but for ease, I'd go with 3, 4 or 5. I personally would order the gnocchi because it sounds amazing!

• Advertisement

Yes good point with the salad, you want something light and then filling or heavy for the main..

A question on Prosecco or sparkling wine for ye. Has anyone came across a nice one that is in or around the nine euro mark.. We just got another two there one with the loverly name Pur Fect which is ok not great, Sandara which is just way to sweet. I am leaning toward the Griffin one but I don't know if I could put someone through the pain of opening those bottles.. So if anyone else knows of a nice one please let me know

Advertisement