Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Yesterday was absolutely amazing! The hotel was fantastic, there's not one thing that we could fault them on. Brian Whiteside from the Humanist association was our celebrant and he was brilliant, we got loads of compliments on the ceremony.

The most amazing part though was marrying the love of my life, his vows were the most romantic words that have ever been said to me and we were both welling up as he was saying them but we managed to keep it together and I didn't look like Alice Cooper by the time I was married like I thought I would :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Alice Cooper I am sure you were very very much far away from looking like him.. Delighted to hear ye had a fabulous day and that Love was in the air..... Ye were happy with all then, congrats and whooopp for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Had my hen night yesterday. Wedding location is far away so had the hen in my home town. Just a big party in my Mum's house. It was fab! :D I have wonderful family and friends.

We also went canoeing. Really good fun, very doable. Recommend. http://gowiththeflow.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Aww fits that sounds wonderful. I wish I had done something like that for my hen. Going to a Madrid was fun but there was a bit too much going on.

Sounds like great fun fits.. Oh were they in Kilkenny or just outside. Sure tis the same chaps we went with before. great day out loved it too... Still don't know what were up to for mine either house party or glamping...

Yeah got some of the invites out yesterday such a relief to get them out there.. Double thinking now about how I addressed some of the names but to be honest they have been such a pain in the arse im glad to see them gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Milly33 wrote: »
    Sounds like great fun fits.. Oh were they in Kilkenny or just outside. Sure tis the same chaps we went with before. great day out loved it too... Still don't know what were up to for mine either house party or glamping...

Near enough to Kilkenny yeah.

Clashganny where you launch from is in co. Carlow.

OH it must be the same one I remember travelling out a little bit for it..sounds fab anyone.. well on you way now

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

MILLY33: What worries have you about the names? I haven't used any Mr/Mrs on any of my invites.. Just first names and last names. I know it's not correct traditional etiquette but I don't like the other way.

I'm sending my international invites today. So excited!!

nosietoes wrote: »
    MILLY33: What worries have you about the names? I haven't used any Mr/Mrs on any of my invites.. Just first names and last names. I know it's not correct traditional etiquette but I don't like the other way.

I'm sending my international invites today. So excited!!

Hello, oh we just used first names too on ours. But there were things like mostly the invites going out abroad. Lets say there is one family. Kids all grown up now with their own kids, and I know for a fact that they aren't coming as really we would know by now if they were. So rather than send each couple a different invite I just put lets say Bob, his partner and family on the invite..

I knew in my head I should have done it the other way. It was just himself started putting a bummer on the whole thing again which drives me nuts so I was just like get them out... Wish we had spent a bit more time writing them but sure you can do it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hello, oh we just used first names too on ours. But there were things like mostly the invites going out abroad. Lets say there is one family. Kids all grown up now with their own kids, and I know for a fact that they aren't coming as really we would know by now if they were. So rather than send each couple a different invite I just put lets say Bob, his partner and family on the invite..

I knew in my head I should have done it the other way. It was just himself started putting a bummer on the whole thing again which drives me nuts so I was just like get them out... Wish we had spent a bit more time writing them but sure you can do it all

I think for an evening invite that's fine, but for all day invite I'd be more specific. But as has been said previously there is no correct etiquette.
    Family names are a fecking minefield too.

I wanted to go glamping for my hen too, but it's not really my BM's kinda thing. And we have a mix of ages too so a few in their 50's and the rest of us in our 30's. My BM is a bit more 'polished' than I am!

• Advertisement

Yeah I knew it really, it was just when it started again about the invites I was allergic.. Going to be more observant and go with my head from now on.. Just so frustrating when its like we agree on something and then he goes back on it or starts about it again.. Im allergic and it really gets me down..

On the happier note, has anyone every gone to these cottages for couples, based in West Cork.. Thinking about booking on for a break away for a few nights after the big day. They have an outdoor hot tub.... sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheDuchess

Hi Ladies

I haven’t posted here before but have a minor problem which I was hoping I might be able to get advice on.

Getting married in a few weeks and my dress doesn’t fit. It was snug when I bought it but did fit and I was advised to go with that size as going the next size up the dress would need to be taken in so much that it would alter the shape of it.

Unfortunately after buying it, I had a number of life changes including unemployed for several months, moving countries unexpectedly and ended up putting on quite a lot of weight. For the past 6 months I’ve been eating healthy and exercising and the weight has slowly come off. But not by enough – I’m an inch larger in my waist than the dress and it needs to be taken to the dress maker in less than 2 weeks – that gives her about 3 and a half weeks to alter it.

I’m considering if it doesn’t fit by the time I have to give it to the dress maker to just cut my losses, try sell the new dress and buy a sample dress somewhere. I really don’t want the stress 3 weeks before the wedding of wondering will it fit and also feeling like I can’t even enjoy myself in the run up to the day if I wanted a lunch out or meet friends for drinks as I would be focusing on calories.

I’m just wondering if anyone has been in this situation? I know there may be the possibility of letting the dress out but I read online depending on the dress / material it doesn’t look right and can still be uncomfortable which is definitely what I don’t want.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Hi duchess I'm definately in the same boat except I bought a sample dress and guess what it doesn't even nearly fit so I'm going to try a dress maker to see if they can put a panel on the back with corset lace up instead of the original buttons (which I love). If not ill have to get another dress!
    Alternatively you could try any of those meal replacement diets short term fix .... I just don't have the stamina for them!

My dress was a teeny bit snug too, but the dress maker said she would be able to let it out if I still need to when the time comes.
    Is that an option for you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mine was also... 'cozy' when I bought it. I'm hoping to lose enough weight to need to get it taken in, but the shop assured me it could be let out a little if needs be.

Could you use spanx to suck in your waist?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Same thing happened with mine - could barely zip it up when I got it but had to get it taken in last month.

Can check in tomorrow for my flight to Shannon. **** is getting very real. :pac:

Oh no perhaps adding in the panel at the back would be the key heard a few people getting this done and you wouldn't notice it on the dress.. This is half the reason I didn't want to buy early as Id worry about the size...

The little slips you get in Dunnes too are great, the tuck you in ones that have a little bit of lace around the cup part... do wonders and they are comfy

So it looks like we're relying on both Glasgow Warriors and Ospreys winning this weekend to keep the Munster team out of our wedding hotel... Pro12 semi for Munster will definitely be 2:30pm on May 23rd and they have a good chance of a home semi. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

So it looks like we're relying on both Glasgow Warriors and Ospreys winning this weekend to keep the Munster team out of our wedding hotel... Pro12 semi for Munster will definitely be 2:30pm on May 23rd and they have a good chance of a home semi. :eek:

I think i know your hotel, are you planning on using the rooftop terrace for your drinks reception? If you are then i think you will have no problems.

By the time the match is over and the players have done interviews and post match treatment you should be in the function room which is very secluded from the rest of the hotel. Also as far as i know the function room has its own kitchens.

The only issue i would bring up with the hotel is that for match days they often hold a BBQ in the main hotel bar which is off the foyer. SO if you were having your drinks reception in the foyer you could have seepage from munster fans and noise from the bar.

We had been planning on having our drinks reception in the downstairs cafe (just for a change of scenery because we're in the top floor suite for the meal) - I think we may need to move it upstairs and provide a TV there for anyone who wants to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

We had been planning on having our drinks reception in the downstairs cafe (just for a change of scenery because we're in the top floor suite for the meal) - I think we may need to move it upstairs and provide a TV there for anyone who wants to watch it.

That sounds like a good idea. Also get in touch with the hotel and see what their plans are for the match. that way you can decide if they will impact your event

Sure maybe if they win they will add to the day for all the rugby fans going....

My OH's entire family are big Munster fans, a few season ticket holders there!

They will be weak, best wedding ever

My OH's entire family are big Munster fans, a few season ticket holders there!

Might be some nice photo opps if they are there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheDuchess

Faith wrote: »
    Mine was also... 'cozy' when I bought it. I'm hoping to lose enough weight to need to get it taken in, but the shop assured me it could be let out a little if needs be.

Could you use spanx to suck in your waist?

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure if it can be let out - I only tried it once before buying and then unexpectedly moved countries so won't see it until I pick it up less than 4 weeks before the wedding. The more I look at pictures of it I think its actually too fussy a dress! Not sure how much work would go into letting it out so it would look right. Will ask the dressmaker when I take it to her.

It has a lace back (its Ronald Joyce Robyn) so I will be looking into shapewear but where I think I need it would be seen possibly.

Thanks for all the tips everyone though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

TheDuchess wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure if it can be let out - I only tried it once before buying and then unexpectedly moved countries so won't see it until I pick it up less than 4 weeks before the wedding. The more I look at pictures of it I think its actually too fussy a dress! Not sure how much work would go into letting it out so it would look right. Will ask the dressmaker when I take it to her.

It has a lace back (its Ronald Joyce Robyn) so I will be looking into shapewear but where I think I need it would be seen possibly.

It's a gorgeous dress! You'd definitely be fine with shapewear, I'd say. It would stop below the sheer part of the dress.

Something like this would work:

pSPXNA-1905_NATRL_main_v275.jpg

Not sure with spanxs myself I never tried one and though wow... But as noted by someone they can be a struggle to get off, like if you needed the loo...Those tummy or waist ones are good if you wanted to nip in your waist and breathable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I've tried on Spanx and never thought much of them. M&S have a slimming underslip thing that I find brilliant for normal nights out etc.
    This One

Smooths all over, no awkward line at the top, wear your own bra and bathroom visits are still straightforward.

• Advertisement

I have never found comfortable shapewear. I don't know if i'd wear it on my wedding day. Anything I've tried rolls down when you sit down, or creates a muffin top further up. Maybe I just haven't found the right one yet or I'm not the right shape for them.

Definitely talk to your dressmaker before you go spending money on anything. She might be able to build something into the dress to give you a smoother silhouette.

Advertisement