Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

One for the ladies doing there own makup or could be a treat for the bridesmaids.. Mary Lou Manizer Balm, tis great. It adds like a shimmer or glow to your skin. The makeup artist used it on my trial and I was like ohhh I like it, so picked some up on cloud ten €20 pricey but it would last a long time I would think

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Milly33 wrote: »
    wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry about the sizes alright, especially as they do seem to be very odd now for lest say the 12 - 16 sizes.. I got two casual tops in Next lately one was a 16 which is like a nice loose pretty jumper and the other was a 12 but just as baggy as the 16...

I did my planned shopping trip at the weekend - hit Primark hard (for my sins... the one in Stratford is like Christmas Eve in Dublin on any normal Saturday) and ended up with tops in size 8, 10 and 12 that all fit perfectly. The mind boggles a bit! Kitted my OH out a bit too.

5 days to go now, off work for 3 weeks after tomorrow :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I feel your pain, im the same I have lots of DIY to do but there is not point in doing it too early as it will just be sitting there getting dusty... So its like mmmm what to do.. Started knitting again to keep me occupied..

Hope the playlist is great now, sure ye can listen to it all weekend and party the house down..

wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry about the sizes alright, especially as they do seem to be very odd now for lest say the 12 - 16 sizes.. I got two casual tops in Next lately one was a 16 which is like a nice loose pretty jumper and the other was a 12 but just as baggy as the 16...

What DIY are you doing Milly, unless it's something that'll go off, I'd get it out of the way now. There'll be more DIY stuff to do closer to the time and most of my DIY projects have taken twice as long and three times as many shopping trips as I expected.

Very strange with the fittings alright... I suppose well it must be great looking at the size 8 going yeah!! Well done all out of the way with then.. I only remember I must get something for the hen oh the pain, I hate shopping for clothes...

PhoenixParker - I have to do the signs, which hopefully I will start painting this weekend..
    Must give them a white wash with a bit of tea stain maybe to vintage them up a bit. Decide what goes on them too.

Then I have holes to drill in tin cans and decorate them too.
    I didn't want to drill them too early incase they rust.. We have no where really to store them downstairs so it is all upstairs in the attic and I worry about damp with them.
    Has anyone drilled holes in cans, if so if ye have tips please do tell.. I have looked up the ways to do it, but we don't have a big freezer so I cant do the option of freezing water in them.

I have glass jars also to decorate which I suppose I could get out of the way with Id just be afraid again where to store them...Tis a bakes not having the space..

Oh must call to my dad too to cut out some wood to make lazy sues for the cake table...

What else, I am doing up song books there for the sing song for the after party. I must do the menu cards although we don't really need them I think they are nice to have.

I am sure there is more..Oh make the bunting I have this cut I just need to string it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

It's so hard to know when is the right time to do all the little DIY projects.

My OH wants to do a few bits, but anytime I suggest doing them he puts me off. It's nothing vital to the wedding, so it's no big deal if he doesn't do it. But I want to know that he can do it more so!

Had a lovely weekend listening to music for the wedding. still no closer to deciding what I want though!

• Advertisement

Don't talk to me, with men planning i know im weak for himself but like timing and all that goes his just not good at. So I am just going to start it when im ready and if there is anything he can help with itll be a case of when are doing it now.. sounds harsh but I know his desperate with finishing things so sometimes you just have to put your foot down..

What do you need to DIY then Kildareash?

i was just looking up the cans there again and it seems the hand drill is the best option... oh the the fun

Milly33 wrote:
    What do you need to DIY then Kildareash?

We were thinking if making our own centrepieces and OH wants to make paper buttonholes. If they're not done by the time I'm finalising the flowers I'm ordering buttonholes and that's it.
    It's not something we can do that far ahead of time but I'd like to know we can make them at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I've to do the sweet jars... We're doing our own candy table style thing. Got the sweets, got the tongs and spoons, got the jaysus, got custom labels etc. But, even though the jars have lids I want to leave them till a day before so as everything is nice and fresh.

Trying to get table plan sorted now, we're trying to design our own seating chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

One for the ladies doing there own makup or could be a treat for the bridesmaids.. Mary Lou Manizer Balm, tis great. It adds like a shimmer or glow to your skin. The makeup artist used it on my trial and I was like ohhh I like it, so picked some up on cloud ten €20 pricey but it would last a long time I would think

You can buy this on Aer Lingus too, think it's €18. I got one recently, love it! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I did loads of my DIY done 10 months in advance including paper and lice lined tea light holders and 150 yards of bunting. Family think I'm bonkers but hey - it's done now!

• Advertisement

There was no way we could do a lot of DIY really - everything realistically needs to fit into two suitcases plus the bits I left in Dublin at my parents' house when I was home in April!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭CorkClaire82

A bit of our wedding was diy-ed but by my parents! Lazy articles we are. Having said that some things had to be dropped as we all under thought them and were more than first thought of so the earlier the better would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

We are only doing small bits of DIY like our own seating plan ( a map of uk & Ireland with tables named after places across Ireland and Scotland) and our own sweet table. Everything takes way longer than i thought it would. I'm off this week but Saturday is still getting very close and my to do list is still quite long. I am wishing i did a lot of things earlier!

Uhh ill have to keep an eye out for the mary lou in the Airport then thanks, did they have the luminizer there too do you know....

Right ok ill get my ass working on the DIY then. Going to see if I can get the bunting started at the weekend, maybe that wont take up too much space. We have one room full of gym stuff that I keep using and not using and then his room is full of music stuff so space is really the issue

Jes I cant sleep lately thinking about stuff. Was only thinking last night jes it is worth doing a lot of DIY for outside if it is going to be raining there is no way it will be used etc so going to have to make a set plan so nothing will go wasted..

Lice Lights haha they sounds loverly keep the guests entertained...

Id say yeah the sweet defo put them in as close to when they will be used to keep them fresh...

Our only DIY plans are non-essential things, so it doesn't matter if they don't get done.

Planning the music and readings for the ceremony is a lot harder than I thought it would be!

Anyone want to share their readings? I think I've picked the second reading, but the first one are very religious or degrading to the wife I feel.

OH is also having a strop over using religious music - eh, we're getting married in the church...what did you expect? My plan is to have the middle religious and then have popular music for entrance, signing of register and recessional. My wedding singer didn't send me through as comprehensive a list as I thought she would. So I'm ploughing ahead and I'll let her come back to me and say it's not possible. There is only one song that i really want her to learn, the other stuff I can change.

kildareash wrote: »
    Our only DIY plans are non-essential things, so it doesn't matter if they don't get done.

Planning the music and readings for the ceremony is a lot harder than I thought it would be!

Anyone want to share their readings? I think I've picked the second reading, but the first one are very religious or degrading to the wife I feel.

OH is also having a strop over using religious music - eh, we're getting married in the church...what did you expect? My plan is to have the middle religious and then have popular music for entrance, signing of register and recessional. My wedding singer didn't send me through as comprehensive a list as I thought she would. So I'm ploughing ahead and I'll let her come back to me and say it's not possible. There is only one song that i really want her to learn, the other stuff I can change.

We had the below as our first and second readings, I'm including the title and the first couple of lines. I was the same, they are hard to find but my friend's mam had actually done a booklet for her nephew and his fiance and sent these onto me. I thought they were lovely. If you want the full readings I can PM them onto you.

A Reading from the Song of Solomon
    My beloved speaks and says to me:
    'Arise, my love, my fair one,
    and come away;...

A Reading from St Paul to the Collossians
    As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. ...

As regards the music we kinda did the same with the trad/somewhat religious music (we were given free reign though by the priest) and had popular entering, signing and exit. We asked our musicians to learn music too so definitely go with it. If you want the list of music I can put that up too.

I've tended to DIY the small things that I think are over priced.
    So far that's been the invites, a beaded ribbon for my hair, my bouquet, his bowtie, the cake toppers and a shawl for around my shoulders.
    The bouquet has been a bit of a nightmare but it's very nearly done now. The beaded ribbon took a few goes to get right and the other three were fairly straightforward.

Thanks CorkClaire, I love your first reading. Might borrow that one!

I'd love to see a list of your music, if you don't mind. I love listening to all the wedding music and seeing different ideas.

I suggested one song as a joke to the OH and now he wants to go with it, but it's cheesalicous! No way we're having it in the ceremony.

Are you making a button bouquet or brooch one then? The ribbon for the hair sound loverly...

There are defiantly a lot of bits that are overpriced but sometimes it defiantly seems easier to buy which I know is a bad thought.
    Most of our deco is recycled bits and homemade so they really are essential to get done, just hard to see it fitting together right now, which I am sure it will.

The ceremony was the next thing then after that.. We are honestly thinking of just in and out. I know it sounds a bit iffy, but it is a civil ceremony so were thinking right we go up, say a few words nothing mad then exchange vows, sign the registry with some music and that's it. Was even thinking of skipping the lighting of the candles. We shall see...

Are you making a button bouquet or brooch one then? The ribbon for the hair sound loverly...

There are defiantly a lot of bits that are overpriced but sometimes it defiantly seems easier to buy which I know is a bad thought.
    Most of our deco is recycled bits and homemade so they really are essential to get done, just hard to see it fitting together right now, which I am sure it will.

The ceremony was the next thing then after that.. We are honestly thinking of just in and out. I know it sounds a bit iffy, but it is a civil ceremony so were thinking right we go up, say a few words nothing mad then exchange vows, sign the registry with some music and that's it. Was even thinking of skipping the lighting of the candles. We shall see...

Making a paper flower bouquet sort of like this.

DIY is easy if it's along the lines of what you'd do anyway. You'll have the stuff you need to hand and that's where the cost savings are.

For instance I sew quite a bit and have a machine and a room full of bits and pieces. That's made the sewing stuff fairly straight forward. For instance for the bow tie I bought the fabric and printed the pattern. I didn't have to buy a sewing machine, interfacing, matching thread or a decent scissors because I had them anyway. Buying the interfacing, thread and scissors would have upped the cost and made it cheaper to just buy.

That's the problem I've run into with the paper bouquet. I wasn't sure what sort of paper I needed so bought wrong stuff twice, then I've needed three types of glue and two types of sticks (wrong type bought again), and a paper cutter because doing the squares by hand was just too tedious. Result - lots of time and lots of money!

Basically stick to what you're good at or it'll cost you and not be worth it.

• Advertisement

Thanks CorkClaire, I love your first reading. Might borrow that one!

I'd love to see a list of your music, if you don't mind. I love listening to all the wedding music and seeing different ideas.

I suggested one song as a joke to the OH and now he wants to go with it, but it's cheesalicous! No way we're having it in the ceremony.

Here you go :) We'd Jurassic Park as my processional, can't get odder than that :P We had a string quartet so there was no singing in ours.

Processional - Jurrassic Park Theme

Lighting of the candles - Lascia Chio Pianga-Handel

Lighting of the marriage candle - The Mission Theme (not Gabriel's Oboe, from approx. 3:00 mins here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag1Dfa1e_E )

Offertory - Inis Oirr – Trad.

Sign of peace - Tabhair dom do Lamh-O'Cathan

Communion - Nocturne – Secret Garden
    One Hand One Heart

Signing of the register - God Only Knows (The Beach Boys)

Recessional - Stand By Me

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

this is our first reading

A reading from the book of Ecclesiastes:

A faithful friend is a sure shelter.

Whoever finds one has a rare treasure.

A faithful friend is somebody beyond price.

There is no measure to their worth.

A faithful friend is a breath of life.

And those who love the Lord shall find one.

Whoever loves the lord makes a true friend.

For as you are so is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I have most of the DIY i can do in advance done. I'm doing all the flowers and my mum and i will do the cake but i can't do them until the week of the wedding.

I have made all the tiny bows for the buttonholes though. Thank god for the fork bow tutorial on youtube.

For us... (Humanist ceremony without candle/handfasting/etc so relatively short, from our draft ceremony it looks like a maximum of around 20-25 minutes)

Processional - Apocalyptica's cello version of Nothing Else Matters

Between readings - Falling In Love With You Again - Imelda May

Signing register - The Universal - Blur (first 3 minutes)

Recessional - last minute of The Universal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If one of your hands-on suppliers - for instance, make up artist, hairdresser, celebrant, photographer etc - was pregnant and due a baby shortly before your wedding, would you expect to be informed of that as a professional courtesy as it may impact them on the day? Or would you think it's irrelevant, and just trust that they'd tell you if they needed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Faith wrote: »
    If one of your hands-on suppliers - for instance, make up artist, hairdresser, celebrant, photographer etc - was pregnant and due a baby shortly before your wedding, would you expect to be informed of that as a professional courtesy as it may impact them on the day? Or would you think it's irrelevant, and just trust that they'd tell you if they needed to?

How soon before, as in will she be back to work by then? If so I wouldn't really expect to be told because it wouldn't affect my plans, but if she was going to be off and sending a replacement I would expect to be told and given the option of cancelling my booking.

Faith wrote:

Do you know exactly when she is due? I think that wld be the biggest issue for me. If it's a month before your wedding then yes as a courtesy I'd like yo be reassured that they are still intending to carry out their job. If your wedding is a month before her due date, she cld be thinking she will be fine to work that day but in reality the baby cld only be two weeks old. If her due date was 2 months before I wouldn't be as concerned.

Mm not sure about the supplier one, I would have faith haha that she would tell you if she thought there was going to be an issue. Event to just assure you but then also I suppose it isn't that big a deal.. I would though appreciate if she contacted her clients close to her due date to assure them all was ok.. Yes sorry I change my mind I would be like wtf what if something happened...

The bouquet looks loverly PhoenixParker really pretty and different. Id say the paper hunt was fun alright for it...
    A lot of the bits im doing to like you say make more sense as I have lots of the stuff to do them already with.. Just wish I was handier with a power drill that's it haha.

rainbow kirby sounds really like ours, nice to hear something similar mum kinda keeps asking me and im like no we aren't doing prayers or readings or this or that..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I guess what's annoying me is that if I never knew she was pregnant, I couldn't answer any of those questions. So a pregnancy naturally raises questions and I think a quick email would be a professional approach, rather than not informing clients who may be affected.

In my specific case, I only found out she was pregnant by accident (I recommended her to someone, and they came back to say thanks, but they couldn't schedule a meeting because she's due a baby in a couple of weeks). So there's maybe 8 weeks between the birth and my wedding. Normal maternity leave is at least 4 months, and I've never known anyone to go back to work in less time than that (in my very limited experience, to be fair). I know it's different in a self-employed situation, but when there's no replacements for you, I think it's even more important to reassure clients that they've nothing to worry about. I emailed her to check if everything was okay with my booking and got a seriously snarky reply, saying she would have told me if she couldn't do it. It was a real "How dare you question me" reply.

Hopefully it'll be a non-issue on the day, but it was something I'd never thought about before as a potential complication.

• Advertisement

I can see where your coming from and agree maybe she should have some reassurance for you rather than a snarky reply. She must be used to dealing with weddings so she knows what to expect. Suppose it is up to you if you would feel more comfortable maybe you should start looking again to put your mind at ease, or even try and have a back up plan

Advertisement