Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most racist person you ever met.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

In answer to the OP my brothers mother in law.Horrible snob of a woman from a horsey background in the Curragh.She casually explained one time that she went for a checkup with the n*****er doctor.Her words,not including the asterixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

billie1b wrote: »
    A black woman I had to deal with in work, called my co-worker and myself all the white trash names you can think of, even hit me with her passport and then threw it at me but according to her we were the racists. They've some chip on their shoulders

Who do you mean by they?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A few years ago it came out that over 18 months there were more police stop-and-frisks done in New York on young black males than there were young black males living there. I initially assumed it was down to racism but Stephen Colbert had an alternative theory:

Yeah, that came up at the time when stop and searches were introduced.

It also just came up yesterday with the Stephen Lawrence apology. 20 years later blacks and Asians are far more likely to be stopped and searched. Pug160 would say stats backs that tactic up, but if you're an innocent young black or Asian male going about your business, the repeated stops would get a bit annoying after a while!

It becomes a vicious circle. I do think the police and politicians are finally getting the point that policing by statistics is lazy and backfires. They can have all the community policing initiatives they want, but the stereotypical stopping a black or Asian guy in a fancy car, will just undo all the well intentioned work.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Is this Neil Delamere's boards account? Or are you just a lil copycat
    I thought it sounded familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, that came up at the time when stop and searches were introduced.

It also just came up yesterday with the Stephen Lawrence apology. 20 years later blacks and Asians are far more likely to be stopped and searched. Pug160 would say stats backs that tactic up, but if you're an innocent young black or Asian male going about your business, the repeated stops would get a bit annoying after a while!

It becomes a vicious circle. I do think the police and politicians are finally getting the point that policing by statistics is lazy and backfires. They can have all the community policing initiatives they want, but the stereotypical stopping a black or Asian guy in a fancy car, will just undo all the well intentioned work.
    Yeah,those Police stops would want you to go out and murder someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

As a black woman married to a white Irishman, I find this thread depressing...

crockholm wrote: »
    Yeah,those Police stops would want you to go out and murder someone else.

Yeah, my post deserves a reactionary one like that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

K-9 wrote: »

Being young and arousing suspicion is, simply, an annoying part of being a young man.

I have been pulled over in airports three times for a bag swab and once more for a half hour questioning while my bag was torn apart with no explanation as to how I had aroused this level of suspicion (although the questions were largely drug related). Not to mention how much hassle bouncers give you on Dublin doors until you start to look older than your early 20's.

It's annoying, but that's life. I'd sooner have an airport that pats down disproportionate number of Muslim looking people than an airport that pulls in old grannys for a pat down just to keep the statistics in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

In answer to the OP my brothers mother in law.Horrible snob of a woman from a horsey background in the Curragh.She casually explained one time that she went for a checkup with the n*****er doctor.Her words,not including the asterixes.

What letters are the last 2 asterixes hiding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

It's annoying, but that's life. I'd sooner have an airport that pats down disproportionate number of Muslim looking people than an airport that pulls in old grannys for a pat down just to keep the statistics in order.

What's a "Muslim looking" person?

• Advertisement

An A-rab perhaps?

If she simply said, "This place isn't what it used to be", I'd hardly be posting it on here *confused face*. She was complaining about foreign people and specifically foreign people of non European decent. She then proceeded to blurt out stupid, false stereotypes based on their nationality ("The Chinese are smelly, dirty people who beat up their wives", for example). Nothing she was saying was reasonable or justified, it was racist pure and simple.

h.

While I can't say I would associate that stereotype with the Chinese, a great deal of stereotypes are largely true regarding the group at which they are aimed. It would take some level of idiot to deny that, as a group/ culture, the Irish like a drink, for example.

I have no idea as to the activities of the Chinese in Spain so I can't really comment on whether that opinion is true. However, from experience of those in Ireland, I would class the Chinese as moderate to non drinkers but very enthusiastic gamblers, heavy smokers and working a psychologically unhealthy amount of hours.

Now, I'm sure somewhere out there there is a Chinese alcoholic who hasn't worked a day in his life, but the above stereotype would be more accurate I think you would agree.

Houston, we have a smart arse :pac:

I'm not going to insult myself by engaging at this level of trollage.

Being young and arousing suspicion is, simply, an annoying part of being a young man.

I have been pulled over in airports three times for a bag swab and once more for a half hour questioning while my bag was torn apart with no explanation as to how I had aroused this level of suspicion (although the questions were largely drug related). Not to mention how much hassle bouncers give you on Dublin doors until you start to look older than your early 20's.

I know, as a man, I'm far more likely to rape. I just have to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Houston, we have a smart arse :pac:

I'm not going to insult myself by engaging at this level of trollage.

My question was sincere. How can you tell a person is a Muslim just by looking at them?

My question was sincere. How can you tell a person is a Muslim just by looking at them?

You can't for certain. They could be a Saudi agnostic.

It's highly unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

30 odd years ago when i was a nipper went to St Pats matches, one "black" lad used to get some amount of abuse. Being a kid I never really thought much of it but everyone in the ground was hurling abuse at this player. ******, Coon, Monkey everything was hurled at the chap from 4 sides of the ground his fans and other teams fans.

He won player of the year that year and moved to Man United in the summer. Hes now regarded as one of the best players to ever play for Ireland and in his later days playing in Ireland noone racially abused him on the pitch.

Strange how moving to another country made this chap a hero when the abuse he got in ireland was sickening.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    30 odd years ago when i was a nipper went to St Pats matches, one "black" lad used to get some amount of abuse. Being a kid I never really thought much of it but everyone in the ground was hurling abuse at this player. ******, Coon, Monkey everything was hurled at the chap from 4 sides of the ground his fans and other teams fans.

He won player of the year that year and moved to Man United in the summer. Hes now regarded as one of the best players to ever play for Ireland and in his later days playing in Ireland noone racially abused him on the pitch.

Strange how moving to another country made this chap a hero when the abuse he got in ireland was sickening.

Denis Irwin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Oddly, the most racist person that I have met was some random dude who was trying to have sex with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Oddly, the most racist person that I have met was some random dude who was trying to have sex with me.

That wasnt racist, that was rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was called mzungu a lot in Tanzania :P. It means white foreigner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Ron, you never fail to disappoint...
    Wow...there's satire, then there's just desperation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I've gotten out of a taxi and not paid before. The dude was making all types of racist comments and when I asked him out right was he a racist he said "Well I guess I am, yeah". I asked him to pull over. Was on Camden St. somewhere. I got out and said I wasn't paying. He got out and tried to argue but I was having none of it and walked off to get another taxi.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Most racist person I ever met was this old lady on the bus years ago. I was on with my friend and we'd been shopping, the bus was getting full so we stood up to let this old dear sit down, so she said thanks and started chatting to us. All seemed normal until a black guy got on the bus and went up the stairs, then it started..... remember this woman from Fr. Ted?

well if you replace the word 'greeks' with the words 'black' and 'n***er' and 'w*g' that was pretty much the gist of it, including the wild gesticulation with shopping bags. To this day I don't know if she was just a bit mental or insanely racist.

Most racist person I'd say on a day to day basis is my sister in law's husband, he can be such a nice guy in a lot of ways but he's incredibly racist, especially when he's talking about any of his co-workers who aren't irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

My partner and I are expecting a baby and already I've heard the words "sure it won't matter that it's dark, we'll love it anyway ".
    I already know the baby will be very loved & cherished like any other grandchild.
    It's just the phrasing of the above made me cringe.
    Can't wait to have my baby :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

......ye wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I was in New Orleans with friends for Spring Break. There was this bar that, oddly, had washer and dryers at the back of the room. I was sitting at the bar while my friends were washing their clothes.

I mean, the setup alone should give an indication of how strange the encounter was.

There was this bar that, oddly, had washer and dryers at the back of the room. I was sitting at the bar while my friends were washing their clothes.

I mean, the setup alone should give an indication of how strange the encounter was.

It is a well known marketing ploy to encourage bewildered customers to drink more Organic Scrumpy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I was called mzungu a lot in Tanzania :P. It means white foreigner.

muzungu is ANY light skinned person - not white foreigner.
    Blacks too can be muzungu. Did you find it racist (being called that)?

Advertisement