Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most racist person you ever met.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

My mate Sid. It's fair to say he isn't a fan of the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Birroc wrote: »
    A teacher friend of mine told me that most parents sending their children to Gaelscoils are doing so for racist reasons, its not for the love of the language.

Well if your friend said that, it has to be a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Just to correct you, Homo Sapien refers only to Humans. Apes are not Homo Sapiens and we are not apes. In fact, we were never actually apes. We just share a common ancestry with apes.

This is wrong.

It's true that that's how the definitions are at the moment, but they are wrong.

We are more closely related to chimps than chimps are to gorillas. So how can chimps and gorillas be in a family but not us?

It's like saying your brother and your third cousin twice removed are in a family, but you aren't, you're just slightly related to them.

There is no way you can construct a sensible family of "apes" without us in it, and the only reason our common ancestors were not called apes is that there was nobody around to name them: if one of them survived to the present day, we would certainly call it an ape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

My boyfriend's auntie called over the other day (she's Spanish) and we were talking about the neighbourhood we live in (an area in the centre densely populated by foreigners and that I love). She grew up just down the road and spent a good 20 minutes complaining that the "foreigners are what destroyed this neighbourhood. This was a great neighbourhood when it was full of local Spaniards" and proceeded to complain about them all with stupid generalisations based on their nationality.

What could I do but just glare at her gobsmacked. Being my boyfriend's auntie, I said nothing but it was so disappointing. Besides from the fact that she's a bit of a racist, she's always been my favourite of his relations. I have no idea if she considers me foreign or what but she seemed to have a particular dislike for the ones "of colour".

Bleedin' racism :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭blackwhite

cruais wrote: »
    I got into a taxi on o connel street to travel to phibsborough and the taxi driver, who was african, refused to take me as he didn't think it was far enough for him.

I told him it was illegal, and to take me on the journey I requested.

His response was "so what? I do not want to take you, you fu《king bitch."

Obviously I was extremely taken aback. I told him I took note of his taxi plate number and would be reporting him and he said "I don't give a fu《k bitch, I will say you called me a black n**ger".

I got straight out of the taxi and walked to the next car, where the driver had no problem taking me. This taxi driver was also african.

I told him the story and he said that your man forever does that if he gets a fare he doesnt want.

I didnt report it because I didnt want anything further to do with him.

I had similar happen on occasion with a few taxi drivers, some with thick Dublin accents and some with African accents. Made a complaint to the taxi regulator on three occasions and never heard anything back for any of them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Zeebs wrote: »
    Yeah, the direct parents of the current generation and as a result of inequalities during their parents time that generation grow up in continued poverty in a crime ridden ghetto where the chances of being involved in crime will inevitably increase. It will take time for any group to overcome such disadvantages.

So your initial point about the majority of them were was crap.

The guy has a point - i don't have all the answers . Socio / economic factors do play a big part but cannot answer all the questions.
    To say that removes responsibility from people who commit crime.
    Mate you must be having a laugh, were the Irish enslaved and lawfully lynched?

The Irish suffered discrimination. Africans were imprisoned and worked as slaves for whites. They were routinely raped, beaten and killed without any consequences.

And you want to compare that with an Irish man being called a ****ing paddy in London in the 80s?

You my friend are comedy gold. Such hilarious opinions :o

you may have some point somewhere but you haven't a rashers about history.
    Blacks were sold by blacks/whites and enslaved by blacks and whites.
    Also irish were enslaved in north africa and barbados.
    You should watch the tg4 documentry on the decendants of the irish in barbados - it's really sad.
    then get off your high horse of white guilt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    What? Are you saying you have to be white to be Irish?

No, I am saying you have to be Irish to be Irish. I have never mentioned colour of skin, why have you?
    Are you trying to play cheap tricks on me? Pay attention: different ethnic background does not necessarily mean black colour of skin! For example, are Poles black? No! To ur knowledge, they are from different background too as are Nigerians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Alf Garnett

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

S.R. wrote: »
    No, I am saying you have to be Irish to be Irish. I have never mentioned colour of skin, why have you?

So what is your definition of being Irish? Genuine question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Mate you must be having a laugh, were the Irish enslaved and lawfully lynched?

The Irish suffered discrimination. Africans were imprisoned and worked as slaves for whites. They were routinely raped, beaten and killed without any consequences.

And you want to compare that with an Irish man being called a ****ing paddy in London in the 80s?

You my friend are comedy gold. Such hilarious opinions :o

have you just walked out of 12 years a slave?

slaves the world over, no matter what colour are essentially a valuable commodity just like cattle, they were and are not "routinely" killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

irishmover wrote: »
    Worked with three Polish people in three separate places (none of them knew each other). Great to get along with, easy going and genuinely nice people. But the second there was a mention of a black person or a black person was in the room their attitude would instantly change.

All three of them despised black people no matter who they were. I really couldn't understand it at all.

And it's one thing i'm very proud of the Irish for. I think we get on with blacks and asians pretty well and some of the non white kids knocking around nowadays have become more irish than the irish!my younger sisters all have nigerian, chinese, spansish,polish friends in their class and it's great to see- variety is the spice of life after all. funny to see chinese lads with cork accents too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

My boyfriend's auntie called over the other day (she's Spanish) and we were talking about the neighbourhood we live in (an area in the centre densely populated by foreigners and that I love). She grew up just down the road and spent a good 20 minutes complaining that the "foreigners are what destroyed this neighbourhood. This was a great neighbourhood when it was full of local Spaniards" (

She has lived there since year zero, she tells you the place isn't what it used to be, and she is definitely in the wrong?

Eh :confused:

There would be people from gentrified corners of north inner city Dublin who would say their old area is now a soulless land of swanky apartments full of residents who don't know their neighbours names, that back in the day the area may have been poor, but the kids all played on the street and everyone knew the family next door. That plonker Spike Lee even went on a rant about it in terms of New York the other week http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-2569148/Spike-Lee-criticizes-NYC-gentrification.html

It is a perfectly acceptable attitude, yet the same attitude to an old inner city Madrid (is it?) is racist because all the new temporary renters are non Spaniard?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    So what is your definition of being Irish? Genuine question.

Anyone, who is not from foreign country, whose ancestors lived in Ireland, who has Irish blood, who has Irish culture, who speaks Irish language (and please don't start about language).

I have a genuine question too. Are you calling my son Irish? Like, are u forcing him to be Irish only coz he was born in Ireland?

Anyone, who is not from foreign country, whose ancestors lived in Ireland, who has Irish blood, who has Irish culture, who speaks Irish language (and please don't start about language).

I have a genuine question too. Are you calling my son Irish? Like, are u forcing him to be Irish only coz he was born in Ireland?

Ok. So how far back do you go? What if a person's ancestors were from Ireland but emigrated to the States 150 years ago would that make the person Irish or American?

If your son is born in Ireland, then yes he has the right to be called Irish. He obviously also has the right to be whatever nationality you are. He can be both. Thats the beauty of immigration.

One more question.
    Lets say Polish parents have a child born in Ireland. When child turns 3 parents move to Spain. In Spain child gets Spanish citizenship too.
    All of them live there for the rest of their lives. Now tell me please, who is child: Polish, Irish or Spanish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

It's strange that they are Irish.
    My son was born in Ireland, but he is not Irish.

In your opinion. You can't extend your beliefs and thoughts on a subject to others as "fact". It's subjective to some degree, my girlfriend is originally from HK but was born/raised here, she considers herself as Irish as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

What about mixed races. Say for e.g. you have an Irish mother and an African father, and you were born in Ireland and raised in Ireland. What are you then?

One more question.
    Lets say Polish parents have a child born in Ireland. When child turns 3 parents move to Spain. In Spain child gets Spanish citizenship too.
    All of them live there for the rest of their lives. Now tell me please, who is child: Polish, Irish or Spanish?

All 3. If thats what they want to be. if the kid grows up and says I'm Polish then they can be Polish, if they want to be Irish they can, and if they decide to Spanish then so be it. They have the right to be any of those.

EazyD wrote: »
    In your opinion. You can't extend your beliefs and thoughts on a subject to others as "fact". It's subjective to some degree, my girlfriend is originally from HK but was born/raised here, she considers herself as Irish as me.

Originally from HK, but was born/raised in Ireland? How is this possible? :eek:

sopretty wrote: »
    What about mixed races. Say for e.g. you have an Irish mother and an African father, and you were born in Ireland and raised in Ireland. What are you then?

For this I have no answer. BUT! If kid marry Irish, then his kids marry Irish etc, then happens what is called assimilation. In this case grand-grand-grand kids of African father will be Irish.

• Advertisement

For this I have no answer. BUT! If kid marry Irish, then his kids marry Irish etc, then happens what is called assimilation. In this case grand-grand-grand kids of African father will be Irish.

So the colour of your skin has nothing to do with anything really then does it?

Rephrase please. Didn't get u.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I see you're back again.

Time to unfollow.

Rephrase please. Didn't get u.

Are you admitting that the colour of ones skin has nothing to do with what nationality you are nor how prone you might be to commit a crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

As that great philosopher/human rights activist Brendan Grace sang:

"Oh, his mother and father were Irish, they came from Skibbereen
    And that's the only reason the Incredible Hulk is green."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

while I understand this is a generalisation, it seems like many of the South Africans I've met have a very casual form of racism... tended to say very racist things but without any real venom in the way they said them. Sounded so odd to me.

Are you admitting that the colour of ones skin has nothing to do with what nationality you are nor how prone you might be to commit a crime?

I have never said that colour of skin has anything to do with being prone to crime. Please do not make up stories! As others I use words white and black to explain who I am talking about. I have to find some words for it, don't I? I can use words "people of european race" and "people of african race" if it suits u better.
    Talking about crime I take my example from USA. For example, Irish, Italian or Chinese immigrants had lived in very, very poor conditions for years, often they didn't speak English. Now, do u want to compare crime rates of Irish Americans, Italian Americans, Chinese Americans and African Americans?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I have never said that colour of skin has anything to do with being prone to crime. Please do not make up stories! As others I use words white and black to explain who I am talking about. I have to find some words for it, don't I? I can use words "people of european race" and "people of african race" if it suits u better.
    Talking about crime I take my example from USA. For example, Irish, Italian or Chinese immigrants had lived in very, very poor conditions for years, often they didn't speak English. Now, do u want to compare crime rates of Irish Americans, Italian Americans, Chinese Americans and African Americans?

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

I have never said that colour of skin has anything to do with being prone to crime.
    If we take 100 whites and 100 blacks from same poor areas I bet blacks would have higher crime rate.

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

Why Italian Americans are bold? Are you a racist?

Advertisement