Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most racist person you ever met.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Jaysus. Just had a chat with the OH about racism. Now he'd be into football (which I ignore lol). He said the racism in soccer is chronic. Some group called Shankter Doenstke (spelling probably way off!) had to play their games behind closed doors, as they were being attacked for playing against black players (maybe somebody can confirm?).

Apparently, the amount of racism in sport is huge.

I think I may have had my eyes wide shut in thinking that racism was dead.

Very shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

blackwhite wrote: »
    Historically, the Italian American demographic would have been seen as heavily involved in criminal activity (although its been somewhat romanticised by Hollywood, etc).

Again, the roots are the same as the reasons for the current crime demographics in the US - i.e. large portions of the Italian American community lived in severe poverty in the late 19th/early 20th century, usually in "ghetto"-like condensed urban environments.
    It doesn't mean that Italian-Americans are more predisposed to criminality, it means that their ethnic group was, at the time, concentrated in areas which had a higher propensity to criminal behaviour.

Look up the "Great Migration" of the early 20th to see the shift in African Americans from a largely rural population to a largely urban population.

The advent of housing projects through the 1950s and 1960s in the US resulted in a similar ghettoisation of the urban African-American poor, and has contributed hugely to the growth in crime rates from that demographic.

Similarly in Dublin today you'll see much higher instances of crime in Darndale than you do in Foxrock.

It's a good point, I remember hearing a lecture of a former mount joy warden and he said something like 90 percent of the prison population came front 5 black spots around Ireland.

I guess it's something similar in USA the black spots there are made up of mostly black people that's why something like 50 percent of the prison population is black yet black people make up around 10 percent of the USA population.

But with everything said, doesn't that make it true that black people are far more likely to commit crime in the US?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

sopretty wrote: »
    Jaysus. Just had a chat with the OH about racism. Now he'd be into football (which I ignore lol). He said the racism in soccer is chronic. Some group called Shankter Doenstke (spelling probably way off!) had to play their games behind closed doors, as they were being attacked for playing against black players (maybe somebody can confirm?).

Apparently, the amount of racism in sport is huge.

I think I may have had my eyes wide shut in thinking that racism was dead.

Very shocked.

:D

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's a good point, I remember hearing a lecture of a former mount joy warden and he said something like 90 percent of the prison population came front 5 black spots around Ireland.

I guess it's something similar in USA the black spots there are made up of mostly black people that's why something like 50 percent of the prison population is black yet black people make up around 10 percent of the USA population.

But with everything said, doesn't that make it true that black people are far more likely to commit crime in the US?

I think it's more than 10%.

S.R. wrote: »
    :D

You think it's funny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

In thread on racism!!!!!!!

Sorry. Couldnt resist :D

I think it's more than 10%.

You're right. 12.6%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They can call themselves whatever they want to I don't care.

Then I don't understand your point.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    In thread on racism!!!!!!!

Sorry. Couldnt resist :D

RACIST!

Mod:Banned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Just more likely to be convicted surely?

• Advertisement

RACIST!

You don't need to ban him/her. I've been called worse. in fact I will probably get called all sorts of things tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Then I don't understand your point.

My point relates to Irish people calling their mixed raced or different race friend 'Irish' and failing to recognize the other persons nationality/race, as if being Irish is superior to the persons other race/nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Sadly racist views can be found in all societies and at all levels in society, and I include Ireland in that.
    The most overtly racist comment I remember was when Conor Lenihan, a junior minister in the FF/PD coalition referred to Turkish workers being exploited by a company called GAMA as "the kebabs".

That Conor Lenihan is a nasty bastard. Pure evil behind those physcopathic darting eyes.

RACIST!

Surely he was joking?

All white Australians.

They view you with suspicion if you aren't a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

RACIST!

who was banned???

This thread has been an eye opener. I genuinely did not realise that people were still racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My point relates to Irish people calling their mixed raced or different race friend 'Irish' and failing to recognize the other persons nationality/race, as if being Irish is superior to the persons other race/nationality.

Oh right.

I'm not sure if that's seeing Irish as being superior. They could be just lazy and aren't bothered saying African-Irish or Chinese-Irish. Given that it'll be apparent that someone obviously has Chinese or African parents they just might not see the need.

I wouldn't jump on that as being racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 TeaMp0isoN

I think this has gone from a discussion on racism to a discussion on how to define nationality. Anyway!

Racism to me, is assuming/presuming/thinking/asserting the fact that for e.g. (to drag one out of the air), that all things considered, and all things being equal, black people are going to be more likely to commit a crime than white people...

It seems all very black & white with you, where do you get this from? Jeezuz what about the others, don't you think they can be prayed upon by the evil white bigots. Why not have a life changing outlook & back up all races from these white men & woman who think this way. How else are we going to end racism, really what do you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nodin wrote: »
    New on me too. "Balluba", or the far rarer "bashi bazouk" I've heard (though ballubas was actually always applied to a pack of rowdy lads, rather than coloured folk). "Shan mohangi" is one that the Indian/Pakistani community still probably have to look up the odd time.

I thought Ballubas were the tribesmen who attacked the peacekeepers on the Congo in the 1960s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I thought Ballubas were the tribesmen who attacked the peacekeepers on the Congo in the 1960s?

they are, but you would often hear people call others it with no racist motive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

I think this has gone from a discussion on racism to a discussion on how to define nationality. Anyway!

Racism to me, is assuming/presuming/thinking/asserting the fact that for e.g. (to drag one out of the air), that all things considered, and all things being equal, black people are going to be more likely to commit a crime than white people...

Actually, that's not racist. At least in certain parts of the world. A black man in London is more likely to commit a crime. That's just stating a fact. That doesn't mean we shouldn't treat everyone as individuals though, as I mentioned earlier. I think there's still a difference even when poverty is taken into consideration.

There is a family locally who are prone to getting in trouble with law and they are called 'the ballubas' As in 'who did it?' 'oh it was one of the ballubas'(big family) lol. Never knew the origin.

Pug160 wrote: »
    Actually, that's not racist. At least in certain parts of the world. A black man in London is more likely to commit a crime. That's just stating a fact. That doesn't mean we shouldn't treat everyone as individuals though, as I mentioned earlier. I think there's still a difference even when poverty is taken into consideration.

All things being equal though..............???

Even if you could prove this to be true, which you can't, lol............. I rest my case.

All things being equal though..............???

Possibly, yeah. I think there is a difference even when poverty levels are taken into consideration. It's difficult to state exact numbers obviously, but because there is such a disparity (like in the London example I have given), I think it's reasonable enough to assume that. But then if that is proven there will be another excuse, and then another. Poverty, no role models, discrimination. It's like a broken record. Other minorities have faced hardship and succeeded in greater numbers.

Possibly, yeah. I think there is a difference even when poverty levels are taken into consideration. It's difficult to state exact numbers obviously, but because there is such a disparity (like in the London example I have given), I think it's reasonable enough to assume that. But then if that is proven there will be another excuse, and then another. Poverty, no role models, discrimination. It's like a broken record. Other minorities have faced hardship and succeeded in greater numbers.

So you feel that black people are more prone to crime because of genetics or something?

I think that poster meant to say it was racist & evil for anyone to presume i.e without evidence that a person who is uniquely distinct or specially different in some way i.e black & white to that poster, that they are more likely to commit a crime against you....I don't believe your opinion on London. Have you any links.

TeaMp0isoN wrote: »
    I think that poster meant to say it was racist & evil for anyone to presume i.e without evidence that a person who is uniquely distinct or specially different in some way i.e black & white to that poster, that they are more likely to commit a crime against you....I don't believe your opinion on London. Have you any links.

It's not an opinion, it's Metropolitan Police statistics. I have posted them before. It's Friday night and I can't really be bothered Googling that stuff tonight. It's there if you search.

• Advertisement

So you feel that black people are more prone to crime because of genetics or something?

Are you saying then they are not. Have you been reading up on genetics? Not all black & white genetics surely.

Advertisement