Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

Have we all forgotten about Michael Lowry and the tapes that were released last year, he is a tax cheat and had a libel case against Sam Smyth thrown out in the Circuit and High courts.
    This man is still a TD, what does it take in this country for a politician to lose their job!

bobcoffee wrote: »
    I do find the idea of FG and FF as being a separate parties a bit weird.
    To me they are both the same party, I see it as a dictatorship rather then a democratic government.

The current junta have done a good job of all but ending democracy in this country on their own, basically we have four people running the country and making all the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bobcoffee

^ I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a job off the EU (machael lowry)

^ I'm surprised he hasn't gotten a job off the EU (machael lowry)

Maybe his mate Denis O'Brien might give him a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

This man is still a TD, what does it take in this country for a politician to lose their job!

People could simply stop voting for him.

• Advertisement

People could simply stop voting for him.

Yes they could but I'm sure he's a very effective parish pump TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

fr3d12 wrote: »
    Yes they could but I'm sure he's a very effective parish pump TD.

Cute hoor politics. It's an Irish speciality.

Yes but the things the guy has done should bring it to the courts.
    Guy SHOULD not be allowed to run.
    If SF got the votes to get into power, technically (not sure but it is general gossip) they are not allowed to as there seen as a group that supports the IRA.

So why are criminals allowed to?
    well political government criminals that is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Yes but the things the guy has done should bring it to the courts.
    Guy SHOULD not be allowed to run.
    If SF got the votes to get into power, technically (not sure but it is general gossip) they are not allowed to as there seen as a group that supports the IRA.

So why are criminals allowed to?
    well political government criminals that is.

What are you on about?

It all comes down to what the likes of Lowry know about various people, these guys if going down will try and bring as many with them as possible so the attitude in their parties is not to rock the boat.

• Advertisement

michael could you please at least ask which part you don't understand?

SF in technical terms is an illegal party within the EU, it can not get into power.
    Since SF has yet to get the votes to get into power this issue has not been tested.
    So we really don't know if SF could run the country or not even if they got the votes.

SF td's do not join SF to get into power at all.
    If you have any issue with things that a TD could help out with always go for a SF TD as they will help you out no matter what.
    However during election times it might be worth going to your local ff or fg TD to help get the issue resolved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Judging by developments today, Minister Shatter and the government are scrambling to setup the Garda Commissioner as the fall guy.

Shatter's Claims on Garda Whistleblower's Lack of Cooperation in Inquiry Came from Garda Commissioner

I think the resignation of the Garda Commissioner is now inevitable. The question is, will he bring down Shatter with him? We are told that they are joined at the hip afterall!
    Justice Minister Alan Shatter’s claim that Garda Whistleblower Maurice McCabe did not cooperate with an internal inquiry into his allegations was based on a briefing from Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan, it emerged today.

While I'm no fan of Alistair Campbell, Enda Kenny would do well to remember his 11 Day Rule when it comes to Shattergate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

SF in technical terms is an illegal party within the EU, it can not get into power.
    Since SF has yet to get the votes to get into power this issue has not been tested.
    So we really don't know if SF could run the country or not even if they got the votes.

If you have any issue with things that a TD could help out with always go for a SF TD as they will help you out no matter what.
    However during election times it might be worth going to your local ff or fg TD to help get the issue resolved.

Not being smart, I really haven't a clue what your trying to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

While I'm no fan of Alistair Campbell, Enda Kenny would do well to remember his 11 Day Rule when it comes to Shattergate.

This is Irish politics.

Whatever rules there are they don't apply to politicians and their cronies.

This is Irish politics.

Whatever rules there are they don't apply to politicians and their cronies.

Sad but true.

you might want to read above to find out the direction of the conversation to see where SF got brought in.
    Just little things, nothing more then that.

Edit: its amazing how much holding hands has to be done.
    read here work your way down.
    no idea what is wrong with you guys, maybe you think I'm SF supporter so your waiting for me to come out with something more chewy.
    just a point to someone else post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Not being smart, I really haven't a clue what your trying to say!

Neither can I, it could be to do with the caffeine.

Judging by developments today, Minister Shatter and the government are scrambling to setup the Garda Commissioner as the fall guy.

Shatter's Claims on Garda Whistleblower's Lack of Cooperation in Inquiry Came from Garda Commissioner

I think the resignation of the Garda Commissioner is now inevitable. The question is, will he bring down Shatter with him? We are told that they are joined at the hip afterall!

If one goes so will the other, Callinan does not seem like the kind of man to take anything lying down, he has been laying low all week with not a peep out of him so one can only assume this is because of legal advice.

Irish politicians = 11 year rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

Wheter its sf ff or fg,nothing will change in ags,because the top brass of ags is rotten to the core

• Advertisement

adrag wrote: »
    Wheter its sf ff or fg,nothing will change in ags,because the top brass of ags is rotten to the core

There needs to be a cull of the top brass.

For decades this is how it was: Pedo priest reported to Gardai, Gardai inform Church hierarchy, Pedo priest moved on to another parish and continues to abuse.

People need to realise that there will always be corruption in ags,their mission statement should start like this
    1.To protect ags at all costs
    2.Protect state
    3.Protect friends and family
    4.Protect celebs
    5.Protect the people
    6.Be honest if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

You realise Sinn Fein have 'been in power' (very succesfully might I add) as junior partners since 2007 in the Six counties?

I thought sf were in gov in the north

Agsi and gra have been very quiet all week ,they ran their mouths off last week about Simon o Brien with one body saying theyd no confidence in him yet not a word of support for the whistleblowers ,their colleages.

adrag wrote: »
    Agsi and gra have been very quiet all week ,they ran their mouths off last week about Simon o Brien with one body saying theyd no confidence in him yet not a word of support for the whistleblowers ,their colleages.

It's all politics with them as well, they were siding with who they thought would come out on top in all of this last week, i.e Callinan.
    A bit of boot licking never did anyone's promotion chances any harm!

Alternatively maybe they have been warned to stay quiet, those associations aren't there to protect themselves from AGS, they're basically trade unions for cops, we all know how strongly they react anytime a paycut etc is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Their is something that I would like to know: When Commissioner Callinan publicly announced that
    "Frankly, I think it's quite disgusting, on a personal level I find it quite disgusting," he said
    (taken from here and here) ; did he attempt to make contact with the people themselves to say this personally or just let everyone find out themselves through the media what his personal feelings are?!

This is only some of what I endured volunteering as a Garda Reserve and when I raised this issue with all levels including the Department of Justice I received NO Justice and ended up just quitting. My Loving Dad watched me and my personal life decline as a result of bullying & harassment & even being assaulted on-duty and having nothing done about it (that I was ever made aware of) amongst other incidents on-duty and he passed away (see here) knowing his daughter was on the receiving end of this abuse and that nothing was being done about it by the powers-that-be! I quit when I heard the news of my Loving Dad and it broke my heart knowing he would not see Justice with this. My life is all-the-better not wearing the uniform and being subjected to what I was and I don't regret quitting. I only hope that those responsible in both my stations receive necessary help, support and guidance to help them with their issues they must be dealing with to subject me to what they did.

I would be one of the whistle-blowers that Commissoner Callinan was referring to as 'Disgusting' and on here I would like to say Thanks for that! I never met you; never had any personal dealings with you; I could not deal with the abuse I was being subjected to and needed help but could not find an open door within An Garda Síochána to help me so I turned to the DofJ informing them.

I wish Sgt Mc Cabe & John Wilson the Best for doing what they are doing. I have the utmost respect for them and any future whistle-blower that passes on any kind of wrong-doing within An Garda Síochána.

I don't know would I call for anyone to resign. That is not my place and not the kind of person that I am. Even going through what I did, and eventhough Commissioner Callinan referred to me also as being disgusting, I have nothing negative to say about him as I do not personally know him to make a personal statement like he did with his one-for-all insult.

Wishing the whistle-blowers the very best if their hearts are in the right place; Wishing their families and loved ones support during this ordeal; & Wishing a cleanup within An Garda Síochána.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I'm baffled as to how today's opinion polls still show the same ongoing support for the Coalition, despite the recent events.

Is no one really bothered anymore?

Why are you baffled?

Everyone else in the country, apart from some posters on here, is prepared to give the government the benefit of the doubt on this issue.

Some of the people on here were confidently predicting Shatter and Callinan would be gone two weeks ago. It didn't happen.

They were basing it on hacking of emails and other stuff that also didn't happen.

The internet has a weird way of hyping up prejudices and making scandals larger than they appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Godge wrote: »
    Why are you baffled?

Everyone else in the country, apart from some posters on here, is prepared to give the government the benefit of the doubt on this issue.

Some of the people on here were confidently predicting Shatter and Callinan would be gone two weeks ago. It didn't happen.

They were basing it on hacking of emails and other stuff that also didn't happen.

The internet has a weird way of hyping up prejudices and making scandals larger than they appear.

Grabbing at straws is no help to your case.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    Why are you baffled?

I agree the internet can at times blow certain things out of all proportion but not in this case.
    On this issue Shatter and Co. are incompetent at best and failed in their duty to this state.
    Are you willing to give them the benefit of the doubt?

BTW the opinion polls don't take into account Thursday, Friday, Saturday and today.

Advertisement