Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

bajer101 wrote: »
    It would seem to be what has happened and why Shatter and Callinan are still in situ today. I really thought that Shatter would step down today and that the fact that Kenny also knew about the dossier of cases wouldn't be highlighted as people would be happy enough with Shatter and Callinan stepping down. I think this still has legs. The husband of Sylvia Roche-Kelly has a case in the high court on Monday suing the State over her death. That is the sort of emotive issue that could tip it all over the edge.

Heard Dearbhail McDonald say today that the Roche Kelly
    case will not be heard on Monday - postponed, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

brooke 2 wrote: »

How convenient.

I'm guessing postponed until, eh..... Sometime after the local elections???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Unfortunately, I doubt he'll get very far with this case. The judiciary will most likely close ranks so as not to set a precedent which could trip up the Gardai in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

Michael martin would want to be careful in he's chasing down of callinan and the guards. He wouldn't want to be getting them looking too closely into hes own party!
    Callinan won't take on any political party in the way you suggest, he obviously intends to try and hold onto his position and won't risk alienating FF with a general election in two years.
    Noonan's comment was shocking - but typical for him.

Wasn't he the Minister for Health when Brigid McCole was hounded to her grave? :(

Yes he was.

Noonan's comment was shocking - but typical for him.

Wasn't he the Minister for Health when Brigid McCole was hounded to her grave? :(

It angers me a lot to see that this bully is still calling the shots with such a high position in government. He should have been cast out to the political wilderness after his shameful treatment of Brigid McCole and her family. The man makes my blood boil.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/an-unspeakable-act-of-betrayal-26255999.html

• Advertisement

Kenny and Gilmore met today to discuss the WB allegations and probably the Govt. strategy in dealing with this.
    They are supposed to be meeting tomorrow as well so I'm sure this has a bearing on the postponement.

Michael martin would want to be careful in he's chasing down of callinan and the guards. He wouldn't want to be getting them looking too closely into hes own party!

MM is out for Shatter's blood. He was very reluctant during the week to say anything about Callinan. Still have to hear him say
    'Callinan's position as Commissioner is untenable'!! MM is only
    playing politics with this!! :(

How convenient.

I'm guessing postponed until, eh..... Sometime after the local elections???

There was no way they were allowing that to go ahead at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

MM is out for Shatter's blood. He was very reluctant during the week to say anything about Callinan. Still have to hear him say
    'Callinan's position as Commissioner is untenable'!! MM is only
    playing politics with this!! :(

Maybe he learned from history that fighting battles on two fronts can weaken your effectiveness. Get rid of Shatter and Callinan`s position is untenable IMO.

It angers me a lot to see that this bully is still calling the shots with such a high position in government. He should have been cast out to the political wilderness after his shameful treatment of Brigid McCole and her family. The man makes my blood boil.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/an-unspeakable-act-of-betrayal-26255999.html

People should never be allowed to forget the despicable treatment that woman received. Noonan had no luck for it afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

fr3d12 wrote: »
    Kenny and Gilmore met today to discuss the WB allegations and probably the Govt. strategy in dealing with this.
    They are supposed to be meeting tomorrow as well so I'm sure this has a bearing on the postponement.

They express complete confidence in Shatter as minister for justice yesterday, and meet today to discuss the allegations!!
    I`d have though at least one of them would have heard the expression "CART BEFORE THE HORSE"
    Not an ounce of shame in either of them.

charlie14 wrote: »
    They express complete confidence in Shatter as minister for justice yesterday, and meet today to discuss the allegations!!
    I`d have though at least one of them would have heard the expression "CART BEFORE THE HORSE"
    Not an ounce of shame in either of them.

No Govt. Minister will say otherwise because it would be admitting Shatter was guilty of seriously mishandling the situation at the very least, Kenny by condemning Shatter now would also be admitting his role in all of this considering the his office was also furnished with the report two years ago.

As for them having shame of course they have none, Kenny made this quite clear last year when he refused for so long to apologise to the Magdalene survivors and even then when he eventually said sorry it was so evident he wasn't sincere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

No Govt. Minister will say otherwise because it would be admitting Shatter was guilty of seriously mishandling the situation at the very least, Kenny by condemning Shatter now would also be admitting his role in all of this considering the his office was also furnished with the report two years ago.

As for them having shame of course they have none, Kenny made this quite clear last year when he refused for so long to apologise to the Magdalene survivors and even then when he eventually said sorry it was so evident he wasn't sincere.

To say there was no sincerity in the Magdaline apology is bull**** to be honest!

To say there was no sincerity in the Magdaline apology is bull**** to be honest!

When an apology had to dragged kicking and screaming from him it has no sincerity, he caused those women a lot of anguish with a needless delay, Kenny hasn't a sincere bone in his body, he's always been full of bluster.

So are you a loyal party member then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

When an apology had to dragged kicking and screaming from him it has no sincerity, he caused those women a lot of anguish with a needless delay, Kenny hasn't a sincere bone in his body, he's always been full of bluster.

So are you a loyal party member then ?

I think you're most definitely barking up the wrong tree there lol.

I think you're most definitely barking up the wrong tree there lol.

The only people I've heard defending Kenny's handling of the issue wore the blue shirt.
    It was more than just a political issue, it was about doing what was right and Kenny didn't do that, that says a lot about his character or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Me neither so what's next?
    The Shinners and FF or FF and FG?
    I'd like to see a lot more independent 'upstarts' in there. If there was enough of them around, it would reduce the capacity for the established partys to form overwhelming coalitions. (like we have now) They couldn't afford to be so smug then about losing a few disgruntled members. And I don't mean 'independents' like Lowry, Healy Eames or any other party outcast, I mean new truly independents.

So are you a loyal party member then?

Never voted for them in my life, never will.

But I seem to remember it was Fianna fail that agreed To pay half the compensation on behalf of the paedo priests.

Anyway enough off topic chat.

Slick50 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a lot more independent 'upstarts' in there. If there was enough of them around, it would reduce the capacity for the established partys to form overwhelming coalitions. (like we have now) They couldn't afford to be so smug then about losing a few disgruntled members. And I don't mean 'independents' like Lowry, Healy Eames or any other party outcast, I mean new truly independents.

Ah poor M. Lowry what did he ever do to you:D

There's a lot of decent people in the independent ranks like Claire Daly and Shane Ross and Mattie McGrath seems like a good man although if I'm honest I don't much about his previous life as a party member.

We definitely need change to our political system because ultimately the way it's set up is what allows the abuse.

Never voted for them in my life, never will.

But I seem to remember it was Fianna fail that agreed To pay half the compensation on behalf of the paedo priests.

Anyway enough off topic chat.

I'm happy to agree to disagree on the subject.

FF should have been tougher with the church and although the state were liable also the taxpayer should not have had to pay out a penny.

I've no allegiance to any party but have been fooled by pre-election lies like Gilmores famous "Labour's way or Frankfurt's way", never again will I vote for them nor would I vote FF or FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

Enda Kenny is the bull****ter ,trying to convince himself and the country that he knew nothin about all this carry on in ags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I'm baffled as to how today's opinion polls still show the same ongoing support for the Coalition, despite the recent events.

Is no one really bothered anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'm baffled as to how today's opinion polls still show the same ongoing support for the Coalition, despite the recent events.

Fine Gael have proven themselves to be as incompetent, useless and corrupt as Fianna Fáil were. But they're going to get away with it becuase people still have the garlic out and silver bullets ready for Fianna Fáil.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Fine Gael have proven themselves to be as incompetent, useless and corrupt as Fianna Fáil were. But they're going to get away with it becuase people still have the garlic out and silver bullets ready for Fianna Fáil.

They have a long way to go to match the corruptness and shady dealings of Bertie and co in fairness.

How shatter is still in a job is beyond me. If this was in any other country except Ireland and maybe Nigeria he would be out on he's head long ago!

We Irish will stand for anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

They have a long way to go to match the corruptness and shady dealings of Bertie and co in fairness.

How shatter is still in a job is beyond me. If this was in any other country except Ireland and maybe Nigeria he would be out on he's head long ago!

We Irish will stand for anything!

They're equals. Both as rotten and corrupt as each other. If Fine Gael were in power it would have been no different and don't kid yourself in thinking outwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

FG are every bit as bad as ff ,gangsters in suits is what most of them,the old saying "mountjoy is were big criminals put little criminals" is starting to ring true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Because they are pretty well meaningless. Only a couple of weeks ago we had two polls on the same weekend, with diametrically opposed results. They fill paper column inches.

The opinion poll results as far as I'm aware were only up to last Wednesday.
    People are starting to put it all together now though.

Only because haven't been in power for as long as Fianna Fáil. They'd be just as corrupt if they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bobcoffee

I do find the idea of FG and FF as being a separate parties a bit weird.
    To me they are both the same party, I see it as a dictatorship rather then a democratic government.

Advertisement