Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Testing the corruption theory, I asked myself if I think that there are any wives, husbands, brothers, sisters, mothers or fathers of Gaurds carrying penalty points, or are the quietly wiped?

I suspect the answer is no.

I could well be wrong, but what's incredible is that this should even be considered!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It is shocking that Minister Shatter has yet to make a statement on the latest revelations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

fr3d12 wrote: »
    GSOC were not given enough power, the legislation stopped short of givng them the powers to adequately investigate AGS, it's ridiculous that they have no access to the PULSE system so the majority of investigations will hit a brick wall, AGS have never co-operated with GSOC and have not been compelled to do so by MoJ despite the legislation or what we've been told.
    It's all about the illusion of fair play but that's all it is.

The lack of access to PULSE is a minor detail compared to the fact that following an investigation their recommendations don't have to be acted upon. That's like getting a custodial sentence from a Judge, but you only have to go to jail if you feel like it. What's the point in reporting anything to GSOC? You may as well just go home and tell your Ma!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

It is shocking that Minister Shatter has yet to make a statement on the latest revelations.

really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

It seems his policy is 'Say nothing till you hear more!'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

really?

Not a single comment from the Minister since before last Thursday, seems to signal contempt for the public in my view.
    sopretty wrote: »
    It seems his policy is 'Say nothing till you hear more!'.

Considering there are whisteblowers coming forward left, right and center I can't see that strategy working!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

Testing the corruption theory, I asked myself if I think that there are any wives, husbands, brothers, sisters, mothers or fathers of Gaurds carrying penalty points, or are the quietly wiped?

I suspect the answer is no.

I could well be wrong, but what's incredible is that this should even be considered!

Whats incredible is senior gardai being corrupt and then their work buddies in the phoenix park helping them to cover it up.the horns are startin to show were the self awarded halo used to be over ags

bajer101 wrote: »
    The lack of access to PULSE is a minor detail compared to the fact that following an investigation their recommendations don't have to be acted upon. That's like getting a custodial sentence from a Judge, but you only have to go to jail if you feel like it. What's the point in reporting anything to GSOC? You may as well just go home and tell your Ma!

At least your ma would get to the bottom of it

I'd say there is a lot of double checking going on at the moment about Callinan's directive to McCabe to assist O'Mahoney with his inquiry. I had thought, due to the noises emanating from Govt about Shatter not backing down about this that he must have been on very firm ground. But the lack of a statement at this stage leads me to believe that there was no clear written instruction to McCabe. RTE and the Indo are spinning about a verbal directive. It's all a load of b0llocks and they can to and fro about the semantics of it all they want, but events will probably overtake them on this issue anyway.

There is enough momentum and groundwork laid for shatter to cut Callinan loose in an attempt to be seen to be taking some sort of action. That's the real tricky action though. They're probably in touch with Gary Kasparov looking for assistance trying to work out what are all the possible outcomes of such an action. Sacking Callinan will be a real case of lighting the blue touch paper and standing well back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Jaysus.
    If that stuff that Muahuaha says about the commisioner is true, this is even a more ****ed up little country than I thought.
    That's shocking if true.

• Advertisement

bajer101 wrote: »
    I'd say there is a lot of double checking going on at the moment about Callinan's directive to McCabe to assist O'Mahoney with his inquiry. I had thought, due to the noises emanating from Govt about Shatter not backing down about this that he must have been on very firm ground, but the lack of a statement at this stage leads me to believe that there was no clear written instruction to McCabe. RTE and the Indo are spinning about a verbal directive. It's all a load of b0llocks and they can to and fro about the semantics of it all they want.

Events will probably overtake them on this issue anyway and there is enough momentum and groundwork laid for shatter to cut Callinan loose in an attempt to be seen to be seen to be taking some sort of action. That's the real tricky action though. They're probably in touch with Gary Kasparov looking for assistance trying to work out what are the possible outcomes of such an action. Sacking Callinan will be a real case of lighting the blue touch paper and standing back.

Tricky is an understatement,callinan knows a lot about all of them and he might have something on them,but if he starts whistleblowing then ......... ah this is goin to end in tears,whose tears though?

adrag wrote: »
    Tricky is an understatement,callinan knows a lot about all of them and he might have something on them,but if he starts whistleblowing then ......... ah this is goin to end in tears,whose tears though?

I can well imagine. The missing "asthma files" keep coming to mind in all of this. But I don't think we are in that sort of territory yet. I think Labour are supporting FG because they are doing their duty as minority Govt party. Enda is supporting Shatter for no other reason than Shatter supported him. Shatter is supporting Callinan, because he greased his palm. But once someone pulls out the wrong jenga block, all hell could break loose. They could all be involved in a Mexican standoff that they don't know the repercussions of.

Sorry he wuoldnt whistleblow sure thats disgusting behaviour according to his fcuked up way he really thinks.smithwick tribunal:Ags comes before truth/honesty thats it in a nutshell

The Garda whistle-blower, Maurice McCabe, has issued a statement tonight that directly contradicts the Garda Commissioners earlier statement released today.

RTÉ have said that they have a transcript of the meeting that they will reveal on PrimeTime tonight.
    @MartinaFitzg

Its understood Sgt McCabe disputes garda commissioner's statement that he issued a direction for McCabe to co-op with the garda inquiry #rte

https://twitter.com/MartinaFitzg/status/438055825148764161
    @MartinaFitzg

Its understood sgt mccabe has a detailed record of the December 2012 meeting. #rtenews

https://twitter.com/MartinaFitzg/status/438052404815478786

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bobcoffee

might be a reason to watch RTE.. since I got a poxy TV license might get some use out of it for once :P

Major developments tonight.

RTÉ News - Garda whistleblower disputes he 'was told to cooperate with penalty points inquiry'
    Whistleblower Sergeant Maurice McCabe is understood tonight to be disputing the Garda Commissioner's statement that he issued a direction for him to co-operate with the investigation into allegations that penalty points had been cancelled.

It is understood Sgt McCabe is basing this on his detailed record of a December 2012 meeting.

A detailed statement on the issue is expected from his legal representatives tonight on RTÉ’s Primetime programme to be broadcast on RTÉ One at 10.35pm.

Will McCabe catch out the government spin line? FG's Charlie Flanagan pointedly attacked the whistleblower today for what he says was non co-operation with an inquiry.

This is what the Commissioner and government was claiming earlier today.

Independent.ie - Callinan issued directive telling two garda 'whistleblowers' to co-operate fully with investigation
    Verbal instructions were given on behalf of Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan to two garda “whistleblowers” to co-operate fully with an investigation into the quashing of penalty points.

The directive was issued by Mr Callinan on December 14, 2012, after the authorities had become aware of the identities of the two men, making the allegations.

Their identities became known when a sergeant in the Cavan-Monaghan division spotted John Wilson downloading information from the confidential Pulse computer system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

If RTE are broadcasting that, they've been told to broadcast it.

Looks like the wheels are in motion. The Govt have decided on their next fall guy.

@davenally1 New sgt Maurice McCabe statement issued to RTE prime time's Katie hannon tonight. #rtept 10.35 on RTE One

https://twitter.com/davenally1/status/438060977586966528

Prime Time will be essential viewing I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

The Garda whistle-blower, Maurice McCabe, has issued a statement tonight that directly contradicts the Garda Commissioners earlier statement released today.

RTÉ have said that they have a transcript of the meeting that they will reveal on PrimeTime tonight.

https://twitter.com/MartinaFitzg/status/438055825148764161

https://twitter.com/MartinaFitzg/status/438052404815478786

Politics aside, I would love to fcuking see one decent and much-vilified man lance this putrid establishment and bring down the whole lot of them.
    Chaos notwithstanding, it would be enormously refreshing.
    Like a lesson in growing up for an immature country.

Verbal instructions, like contracts - aren't worth the paper they are written on. It's obvious now why Shatter hasn't been forthcoming with a statement. I suspect that McCabe has had to become very politically astute a long time ago due to his experiences. He may not be morally correct in this issue, as he probably was well aware that an "invitation" was made to him. But it will be delicious irony if he causes Callinan and Shatter to fall over this wordplay as that is the game they tried to play with him. Fair play to the fella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Can scarcely believe this is ongoing without any resignations, McCabe deserves a medal if you ask me. All Shatter and Callinan seem capable of is digging themselves into deeper holes. They've grossly underestimated McCabe (and the impeccable records he has kept of all of this). It takes them days to come up with responses but he's been able to fire back within hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Listening to how the whistleblowers have been treated in the Gardai and its pretty reprehensible. Martin Callinan as the head doesn't not emerge in a good light. Maurice McCabe's rebuttal is impressive. There is something rotten going on here and reflects very poorly on the Government and Garda Siochana. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

John Wilson, while in uniform and on duty as a Garda, was stopped and searched.

First time I've heard about that. What a disgusting little shithole this place is at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

John Wilson, while in uniform and on duty as a Garda, was stopped and searched.

First time I've heard about that. What a disgusting little shithole this place is at times.

And had a dead rat tied to his door. Shocking stuff, yet it's the whistleblowers that were described as disgusting by Callinan. Callinan should lose his pension over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Wilson is a clown, he's some problem with someone down the line. All he's doing is looking for attention.

Boaty wrote: »
    Wilson is a clown, he's some problem with someone down the line. All he's doing is looking for attention.

As is the wont of and necessity for whistleblowers

They have a problem with how things are done and want it addressed. Shocking stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politico.ie%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D5235%3Athe-fingerprint-affair-now-up-to-gerry-collins%26catid%3D221%3Apolitics&ei=fM8LU5ekNcmQ7AbuloDYCw&usg=AFQjCNHHuspO7D8AEPMQ1tRbC0xjYMEr8g&bvm=bv.61725948,d.ZGU

It was only when Diggin discovered that the mark on the helmet had been made by himself- i.e. that it was his own fingerprint imposed on the helmet after he had cornnpreted his examination oriiginally - did the authorities relent.

In March of last year the then Minister for Justice, Patrick Cooney, who made a grossly misleading statement in the Dail on the affair, stating that the original idenntification was not conclusive and that further fingerprint evidence was awaited. This ~ was entirely untrue. In the ~ first place there is no such ~ thing as an "inconclusive" ~ fingerprint identification. (Moenssens writes: "In fingerrprinting then, there is no such thing as a probable idenntification ... ) and there was no question of awaiting further fingerprint evidence - Byrne had stated he was prepared to go into court with what he had got. It is difficult to see how Cooney did not know that what he was telling the Dail was untrue, but that possibility obviously remains. An investigation of the affair was conducted by the now Garda Commissioner, Patrick McLaughlin. He confirmed that a grave "error" had occurred but, apparently, he did not apportion blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

As is the wont of and necessity for whistleblowers

They have a problem with how things are done and want it addressed. Shocking stuff altogether!

He wouldn't have done anything, if he got his promotion.

Boaty wrote: »
    He wouldn't have done anything, if he got his promotion.

Good job he didn't get the promotion then :rolleyes:

Are you a member of AGS? Why do some of you guys go out of your way to vilify himself and McCabe? It shouldn't matter what their own personal reasons for speaking out are. What's more worrying are the reasons so many have for keeping schtum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

As already mentioned McCabe had used his head and recorded the conversations, he knew the top brass couldn't be trusted and he was one step ahead of them, Callinan has dug a hole for himself now and Enda doesn't exactly come out of this clean either.
    It's men like Messrs. McCabe and Wilson that we need in the Phoenix park.

Shatter of course will again say he was briefed by Callinan and play dumb.
    I'd also be quite interested to hear what Gilmore has to say, Labour IMO have towed the Govt. line in return for favours.

Advertisement