Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Team announced:

Gleeson

Barrett, O'Mahony, Cahill

S. McGrath, Maher, Stapleton

Maher (C), O'Brien

Bergin, N. McGrath, Woodlock

Callanan, Murphy, Forde.

One change: Saint in for John O' Dwyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

An even weaker team than last week,I wish them the best of luck on Sunday and I'll go to cheer them on but I'm dreading another beating in Nowlan park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Forward line looks fairly week. Think Bubbles has a few games on the go anyway so maybe they didn't want to risk him.

I'd say we could get beaten badly with this team tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Bubbles will probably be sprung off the bench if needed - which I am sure he will be. Going to be a hard day at the office for the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Very hard to try and predict EOS line ups and this is no exception.

We have two high quality Corner Backs and one looks like he could really flourish and add to proceedings up the field so we leave him there and start the other one wing back?

Jason Forde, Paddy Murphy and Bubbles were all poor the last day but the only one of the three who has shown any promise in the early season matches is the one that is droped, bizzare. Especially Murphy, he is a poorer version of both Denis Maher and Conor Kenny - neither of whom are perfect but certainly better prospects than Murphy. Actually looking at all those names how anyone can actually believe that Pa Burke should not be involved is beyond me.

Bergin, Noel and Woody as the HF line - not for me, Bergin is a wingback, Noel should be midfield and Woodlock on the bench (Midfield if he must start in fairness he doesnt lack for effort)

I'd switch O'Mahoney and Maher aswell, although if Curran returns there may be a shakeup in the backs anyway, I just dont trust Paudie to hold the centre sufficently as a modern CB needs to and would worry about COM's legs when he gets isolated one on one, think back to the way Clare did the same in last years AI replay and imagine COM in that position.

• Advertisement

Agree with nearly all of Westsides column this week.
    Really hope we don't get humiliated Sunday but look its a sorry situation when Kilkenny have dropped off, are in a sort of transition period and still they could batter us.
    I don't ask alot as a Tipp supporter only that ALL 15 of our lads and whatever subs just go out and leave nothing on the field. The environment of the modern game demands that you have to have warrior spirit. Surely EOS can honestly see that some lack that edge to go beyond the limits for us

http://www.tippsupportersclub.com/westside-column-21-february-2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The boys will have to tear into it...or face embarrassment

Kilkenny Team to Play Tipperary Announced
    Posted about 6 hours ago
    ALLIANZ N.H.L.

KILKENNY v TIPPERARY

1. DAVID HERITY DUNNAMAGGIN
    2. WILLIE PHELAN DUNNAMAGGIN
    3. KIERAN JOYCE ROWER INISTIOGE
    4. BRIAN KENNEDY ST. LACHTAINS
    5. JOEY HOLDEN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    6. BRIAN HOGAN O’LOUGHLIN GAELS
    7. TOMMY WALSH TULLAROAN
    8. LESTER RYAN CLARA
    9. PADRAIG WALSH TULLAROAN
    10. WALTER WALSH TULLOGHER ROSBERCON
    11. COLIN FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    12. HENRY SHEFFLIN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    13. JONJOE FARRELL THOMASTOWN
    14. MARK KELLY O’LOUGHLIN GAELS
    15. T.J. REID BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

16. EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE
    17. PAUL MURPHY DANESFORT
    18. MICHAEL WALSH YOUNG IRELANDS
    19. JACKIE TYRRELL JAMES STEPHENS
    20. SHANE PRENDERGAST CLARA
    21. DAVID LANGTON CLARA
    22. LIAM RYAN CLARA
    23. RICHIE HOGAN DANESFORT
    24. CILLIAN BUCKLEY DICKSBORO
    25. JOE BRENNAN ST. PATRICKS
    26. EOIN LARKIN JAMES STEPHENS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

The boys will have to tear into it...or face embarrassment

Kilkenny Team to Play Tipperary Announced
    Posted about 6 hours ago
    ALLIANZ N.H.L.

KILKENNY v TIPPERARY

1. DAVID HERITY DUNNAMAGGIN
    2. WILLIE PHELAN DUNNAMAGGIN
    3. KIERAN JOYCE ROWER INISTIOGE
    4. BRIAN KENNEDY ST. LACHTAINS
    5. JOEY HOLDEN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    6. BRIAN HOGAN O’LOUGHLIN GAELS
    7. TOMMY WALSH TULLAROAN
    8. LESTER RYAN CLARA
    9. PADRAIG WALSH TULLAROAN
    10. WALTER WALSH TULLOGHER ROSBERCON
    11. COLIN FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    12. HENRY SHEFFLIN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    13. JONJOE FARRELL THOMASTOWN
    14. MARK KELLY O’LOUGHLIN GAELS
    15. T.J. REID BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

16. EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE
    17. PAUL MURPHY DANESFORT
    18. MICHAEL WALSH YOUNG IRELANDS
    19. JACKIE TYRRELL JAMES STEPHENS
    20. SHANE PRENDERGAST CLARA
    21. DAVID LANGTON CLARA
    22. LIAM RYAN CLARA
    23. RICHIE HOGAN DANESFORT
    24. CILLIAN BUCKLEY DICKSBORO
    25. JOE BRENNAN ST. PATRICKS
    26. EOIN LARKIN JAMES STEPHENS

Surprised they're not giving Henry a rest.

What a bench

What a bench is right!

digzy wrote: »
    Surprised they're not giving Henry a rest.

What a bench

I always like that Kilkenny name their bench too - its very inclusive - makes teh squad important - I don't know if the tipp tradition is not to or if the media are not bothered to report it - but I think Tipp should start naming their bench

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Well done to Michael Quinlivan and Shane Power , both Clonmel Commercials , on winning the Sigerson with UCC tonight .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Great start from tipp in Nolan Park. 3 early goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Serious improvement from last week with lads getting stuck in right from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Another goal for tipp! Some game of hurling so far. 1.8 to 4.8.
    27 minutes gone.
    Callinan has the potential to run riot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Another goal for tipp! Some game of hurling so far. 1.8 to 4.8.
    27 minutes gone.
    Callinan has the potential to run riot.

:(

Great game to watch. A lot of issues brought up but a lot of positives to be taken from it too.

Got carried away lads! Same old story in the end...and Ritchie Power, JJ Delaney, Jackie, and Michael Fennelly nowhere near the field...

Got carried away lads! Same old story in the end...and Ritchie Power, JJ Delaney, Jackie, and Michael Fennelly nowhere near the field...

Ah come on evolving credit where its due the positives far out weigh any negatives and for them 4 I give you Conor O'Mahony, Paul Curran, Lar Corbett, John O'Brien and Eoin Kelly and only a few minutes from both Bubbles and Bonner.

We are definitely in a far better position than many would have thought after last week. I would strongly believe that you saw the 2 AI finalists there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Giving the game away in the last 10 minutes is something that has to be looked at and fixed come the championship. Other than that I'm personally happy enough with Tipps performance today. We know where the weaknesses are and what to work on before the summer and if the lads can keep up the physicality, hunger and skill they showed in the first half then Im confident we can contend the championship this year..

I realise Tipperary were missing players. However, the calibre of player Tipp were missing does not equate with the players Kilkenny were missing. They could equally say they only got a few minutes from Hogan. I didn't mention Larkin either. They're were positives but I still felt Tipp would be caught...

There were positives...a lot of negatives too...fading away when the real pressure came on the biggest issue...

How many goals came from through the center....3-5 from Colin Fennelly from play...5 points from Walter...

I think Clare are definitely the best team in the country...with KK just behind them

This team has taken some psychological blows over the years...this another one...how many more can it take? You can play in great matches...but can you keep losing them...

I will refrain from total judgement until the championship.

I realise Tipperary were missing players. However, the calibre of player Tipp were missing does not equate with the players Kilkenny were missing. They could equally say they only got a few minutes from Hogan. I didn't mention Larkin either. They're were positives but I still felt Tipp would be caught...

There were positives...a lot of negatives too...fading away when the real pressure came on the biggest issue...

How many goals came from through the center....3-5 from Colin Fennelly from play...5 points from Walter...

I think Clare are definitely the best team in the country...with KK just behind them

This team has taken some psychological blows over the years...this another one...how many more can it take? You can play in great matches...but can you keep losing them...

I will refrain from total judgement until the championship.

I'm sorry but the calibre of player we were missing absolutely does equal the ones KK were, infact of the 4 you mentioned, one was dropped by Cody from the panel entirely and only recalled on probation two weeks ago, and two of the other 3 are well passed their prime, as are some of the Tipp lads I mentioned.

Agree re the centre and I raised my concern about Paraic Maher before the game but that is not the centre of defense we will have come championship.

Don't agree about Clare I think they have a bit to prove to be afforded that status, this after all is a team who needed extra time to beat Wexford and were blessed to get a draw against a mediocre Cork team. They are a fine talented bunch but I personally think their stock is being slightly exaggerated.

How can you call this a psychological blow? A bit of perspective it was a league game in February in Nowlan Park and we went toe to toe with KK, only good can come today, that match was worth 4 months worth of training guaranteed.

• Advertisement

No I don't think we have any players approaching five All-Irelands and just as many all-stars each...sorry we just don't. This is a results business. Winning is winning, the best habit and tradition. You talk what tipperary would take from today's game, yes there were positives. But Kilkenny will take more positives...obviously. They won and and fought back, had the character to come back after conceding four goals. They have to fear of Tipp...and why would they? So whatever we took from it today. surely you can see Kilkenny took more?

Larkin, Hogan, Power, Michael Fennelly - while around a long time - are still in their twenties...and at the core of KK best players.

Clare are ALL-Ireland champs...and they managed to beat KK whereas we did not. Clare's tony Kelly was pure today - but only because he had a tour de force against UL during the week. In a game nobody thought LIT could win...That Clare team have won at minor and under 21 and now at senior. Yes, maybe KK will devour them like they devoured our talented bunch after 2010...but I think Clare are made of sterner stuff at the core of their team - they don't panic and do not wilt.

I'm hopeful for Tipperary...but we are behind Clare and KK as far as I can see.

Kilkenny keep beating us...and it is a blow every time. A blow to belief...

It was a real chance to make that KK team question themselves with two losses in a row against two big rivals...

That won't be the full back line KK have come championship

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

More optimistic now than I was before the match, much much better performance today than last week.
    1st half was a superb effort, intelligent use of the ball rather than just hitting it in high every time.
    We faded badly in the 2nd half, and missed goal chances when we really needed them to keep ourselves in front.
    We let Kilkenny run through the centre too easily (they'll probably say the same about us), P Maher doesn't have great pace at centre back, think he would be better at full back, great in the air.
    Thought our best player was James Woodlock at wing forward, got on the ball a lot and came back to help out the defence. Callanan scored 3-5 I think but missed a bit too, showed what he is capable of today. Much happier this weekend than last weekend.

Where would play Cahill in the championship? What did you think of Bergin today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I was delighted today and I really expected a beating coming off that Waterford result. We slowly died towards the end and a few lads looked spent after about 50 mins. I thought a few subs could of been made earlier but with a few to come in and a make shift defence and forwards I have to say I'm delighted with what we got today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Where would play Cahill in the championship? What did you think of Bergin today
    Cahill was great again today,might be worth a try further up the field maybe in the middle,Bergin was poor I thought,he's a wing back not a wing forward imo.Another poor performance from Forde and Paddy Murphy,Forde might improve but Murphy isn't good enough unfortunately.

He's a slower burner, Paddy Murphy. Didn't look up to much at under 21 in his first year then was great after that. I'm not saying he will ever set the world alight. But given time he will prove to be a very useful option. Experience and confidence at this level is vital to him - as to any player we bring along. Forde will be as good as if not better than Lar - given time. I'd put a lot of money on that

Disappointing today but if i'm honest i thought we would be battered out the gate so ill look on the positives.

Great atmosphere and almost championship intensity toward the end. Kilkenny were extremely loose the first half but it would seem Cody was happy enough that he had the personnel on his 26 to outscore us regardless on the day.
    Nevertheless i believe our use of possession in our own final third cost us big time and it was a more deciding factor then anything else. Many many times we would come away with the ball and put ourselves into trouble. I cant help feeling our clearances are a big source of our problem. We seem to be hitting it anywhere rather then anywhere in particular and this could be because few are making themselves available all over the pitch. Kilkenny always always had a man available in yards of space no matter what part of the pitch.

We can be very wet behind the ears for a squad who has All Ireland medals. I mean there was no need to strike out at Fennelly for getting in the way of the free taker although i suppose we couldn't have trusted Kirwan to do the right thing and bring it forward. That all said, lashing out was silly. It ended up being a throw ball and seconds later it was in the Tipperary net.

The second half ended up Kilkenny 3-11 to Tipperary 1-5. We totally lost our way.

All this said id prefer we have something to prove in the summer rather then getting a sense of grandeur today having ground out a win based on an unusual first half.

He's a slower burner, Paddy Murphy. Didn't look up to much at under 21 in his first year then was great after that. I'm not saying he will ever set the world alight. But given time he will prove to be a very useful option. Experience and confidence at this level is vital to him - as to any player we bring along. Forde will be as good as if not better than Lar - given time. I'd put a lot of money on that

In Forde's defence he has had 3 games in a little over a week between the Allianz league and Fitzgibbon (as has Bubbles) though i would be fairly concerned he isnt the fastest.

• Advertisement

True enough. Bubbles is not the fastest either. But they are very smart - wristy hurlers. It will take time for Forde to adjust but he will.
    People forget how long it took Lar to find his feet...

They can't be all like Kelly - like a duck to water

Advertisement