Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Xenophile wrote: »
    Give up looking to poach the footballers. Encourage them to get promotion and let us truly become a dual county.
    Hurling first,Football second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The players will make those decisions themselves? It's hardly poaching?

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Xenophile wrote: »
    Give up looking to poach the footballers. Encourage them to get promotion and let us truly become a dual county.

This is something that concerns me too , how many of the young dual players will make the final Hurling panel , I hope they are not being used to deliberately deprive the Football panel of players . I often think of William Mahers comments last year that dual players are a hindrance and hope there is not an agenda against the Football Team .

tippspur wrote: »

Not every one in the County jumps on the Hurling Bandwagon , some of us prefer Football .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not every one in the County jumps on the Hurling Bandwagon , some of us prefer Football .
    Or at least prefer both on equal level. Strength of depth for hurlers much deeper and easier for hurlers to lose 1/2 than the footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

tippspur wrote: »

I don't think that kind of attitude will help us to gain some parity in dual-code success (however far off that may seem right now). If I was coaching a team and there's a very talented footballer onboard who loves what he plays but doesn't like hurling, I'd endeavour to keep him playing what he loves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

This is a Hurling County first and foremost,I like to see the football teams doing well but if a player is good at both codes I would want him to pick Hurling first if he has to make a choice between the two.

County Senior Football Championship Draw next Monday night !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Mikey Cahill is just an outstanding hurler. Would of walked into an All Star last year had Tipp made it any further. I said he should of been made captain last year and I stand that. He was the only player in the Championship that didn't go missing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I wouldn't rule out noel mc and callinan just yet. I think we can afford to have two "fancy hurlers" in the forwards as long as we can find 4 good hurlers who can put in a shift. Every game has periods where it opens up and both those players can be lethal if given the opportunity.

I'd be inclined to put noel at the edge of the square though and put seamus in the corner. I would probably go with bubbles in the other corner.
    We need to find a centre forward unless Bergin can do a job. I'd prefer someone 6f 4" who's excellent in the air. Lar and Bonner would make up a decent half forward line if they can get back to the form we know they are capable of.

It's the distribution from the half back line which seriously needs to be looked at. Hit and hope clearances won't cut it at the top level.

Have the makings of a decent team we just need to get everyone firing and hope that some of the younger lads step up to the plate! There was a lot of damage done to Nolan Park, wonder what condition it will be in this weekend.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't rule out noel mc and callinan just yet. I think we can afford to have two "fancy hurlers" in the forwards as long as we can find 4 good hurlers who can put in a shift. Every game has periods where it opens up and both those players can be lethal if given the opportunity.

No sorry i don't accept that. As premierstone once suggested, Seamie wouldn't be allowed carry the Hurley's for the team in Kilkenny and he is right. Both their work-rates are abysmal. Do you think Eddie Brennan or Richie Power would have been allowed away with that in Kilkenny? Even DJ made some sort of decent attempt to pressurize his opponent without the ball. The most we can hope for with the lads is a token gesture. Noel ran past his opponent the weekend at one stage.

No one is suggesting running the length of the pitch to win the ball back but at least stop their man from getting in a clearance and worse still been actually able to pick out a man from long range. Bad enough that both these lads are tall enough and cant beat an opponent to a ball.

I just dont think there is this binary situation that people make out between being a 100% working forward and solely a sticksman who makes the most of loose possession. In the modern game lads will have to do a bit of both.

Might be ok to have a laissez faire attitude when your against opponents who are comfortable to believe that they have enough fire power to score more then you (ala Clare and even they have a certain amount of work-rate) but we're in the era of space been closed down as soon as it appears and defences being packed and sweepers being utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

What's the story with John Meagher? Would you have him in?
    Is John Meagher injured?

John has excluded himself from the panel to concentrate on U21 Football, he is captain of the U21s and they have a real chance of an AI, U21 football will be over early, I would expect him to be part of the hurling panel by the years end.

Very strange to hear eamon o shea say that he has absolutely no ambitions to try and win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Very strange to hear eamon o shea say that he absolutely no ambitions to try and win the league.

After how we played on Saturday I'd be playing it down too. Everybody is focusing in on how important the league is. It's the current 'trend'. While I recognise it's importance it's still largely experimental. Teams are starting to take it more seriously but it's not going to decide anything.

I think unearthing players in the league is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Very strange to hear eamon o shea say that he absolutely no ambitions to try and win the league.

Meant to post about that myself, I was very disheartened upon hearing that. It's a complete 180 degree turn from last year when winning the league was a goal and they hurled well for the majority of the campaign. Now it's possible he's entering this as a managerial statement, one that Davy and Cody are at but it's not the thing a paying fan wants to hear.

Mind, he did say they still would 'try' but it seems a bit of a blunder on his part IMO.

John has excluded himself from the panel to concentrate on U21 Football, he is captain of the U21s and they have a real chance of an AI, U21 football will be over early, I would expect him to be part of the hurling panel by the years end.
    Fair play to him for that. Should be added to squad when football ends. Would there be many others from u21 footballers who have potential to be added
    Very strange to hear eamon o shea say that he has absolutely no ambitions to try and win the league.
    doubt they really have no ambitions to win league and shame to hear that openly been said. There's only 3 main comp's the county can win and the league is one of them. shame to hear one of those comps being disregarded
    Red Crow wrote: »
    After how we played on Saturday I'd be playing it down too. Everybody is focusing in on how important the league is. It's the current 'trend'. While I recognise it's importance it's still largely experimental. Teams are starting to take it more seriously but it's not going to decide anything.

I think unearthing players in the league is more important.
    I think momentum is most important thing to take from league. Build good steady momentum to lead into opening game in Munster and see things flow. poor/inconsistent league and while a win may be pulled out for opening Munster game its easier with players having plenty of confidence built up from a strong league campaign

No sorry i don't accept that. As premierstone once suggested, Seamie wouldn't be allowed carry the Hurley's for the team in Kilkenny and he is right. Both their work-rates are abysmal. -

But if you remeber when we won the All-Ireland in 2010 - I remember Seamus coming on as a sub and hunting someone down in the wing back position and making a clearance. He can do it. It's about getting them into that mindset again and making them see that's the kind of work-rate needed to win an All-Ireland. Gearoid Ryan got up and down the the pitch so much that day he ran JJ. Delaney into the ground. No easy feat. But he has been continually hampered by injuries since....desperate luck - the loss of Seamus Hennessy and Gearoid Ryan to injuries has been disastrous to the development of this team - As they were important members of those minor and under 21 winning teams. Hennessy was a player who always found a way to make a winning contribution. Ryan's work-rate when fit is immense. A real pity.

- Thank you - He is a really talented chap. Obviously, a very committed guy through his actions of committing to his captaincy. Hurling is my first love, but I can respect such commitment. I hope he and the football panel get their rewards.

Yes - ball winning half forwards. I know Paddy Murphy did not set the world on fire last Saturday - but we need to someone to learn their trade there. We can't keep expecting players to set the world on fire straight away. Hopefully from Paddy Murphy, Niall O'meara, Colm O'Riordan, Denis Maher and Denis Cahill we have players who will learn and adapt to become class operators.

But if you remeber when we won the All-Ireland in 2010 - I remember Seamus coming on as a sub and hunting someone down in the wing back position and making a clearance. He can do it. It's about getting them into that mindset again and making them see that's the kind of work-rate needed to win an All-Ireland. Gearoid Ryan got up and down the the pitch so much that day he ran JJ. Delaney into the ground. No easy feat. But he has been continually hampered by injuries since....desperate luck - the loss of Seamus Hennessy and Gearoid Ryan to injuries has been disastrous to the development of this team - As they were important members of those minor and under 21 winning teams. Hennessy was a player who always found a way to make a winning contribution. Ryan's work-rate when fit is immense. A real pity.

Thats the most annoying thing. These guys were dropped by Sheedy and when he went they went into relaxed mode. Hard to take

• Advertisement

Im not worried at what O'Shea says tbh. Im worried some of the players dont apply themselves regardless of the importance of the occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

When he comes out with that type of thing then nobody should bother going to watch them in the league,what is the point if the manager is not even bothered himself.

Cant believe people are reading into what O'Shea says. To be honest all the league is really is warming up for the championship. Its a nothing tournament.

My criticism of the two players earlier is because they bring the same zilch intensity to every game regardless of importance but people are getting hot and bothered about O'Shea not going hell for leather for the league?

hawkwing wrote: »
    When he comes out with that type of thing then nobody should bother going to watch them in the league,what is the point if the manager is not even bothered himself.

Yes very odd thing to say from a manager. If he's not going out to win what is he going out for? What message does that send to the players?

He's not exactly Brian Cody, his record as a manager is poor and he needs to go out and try to win every game If he wants a new contract.

hawkwing wrote: »

- Well - that was not all he said. He also said the only thing he is worried about was the first game of the championship against Limerick. He putting all the stress and pressure on for that game. Obviously he has not won a championship game yet and wants to rectify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Why are people taking what Eamon says to the press as gospel, its just soundbites and what happens in the dressing room and Morris Park is far more important.

Yes very odd thing to say from a manager. If he's not going out to win what is he going out for? What message does that send to the players?

He's not exactly Brian Cody, his record as a manager is poor and he needs to go out and try to win every game If he wants a new contract.

Who is to be fair? There is plenty of counties would love to have O'Shea over them. We are very lucky. I for one am grateful he is Tipperary manager. After having to endure many clueless management teams over the years it is great to have one with a bit of tactical nous for a change. He hasn't done an awful lot wrong really. I don't think you can make a silk purse from a sows ear and essentially what he has inherited from Declan Ryan and Tommy Dunne is a sows ear. Few good players alright but a few lazy 'superstars' there for good measure

The existing personnel let him down last year and this year he has an opportunity to blood new personnel and put his own stamp on the matter.
    I do accept though that perhaps O'Shea was probably more of a buffer between Sheedy and the team the last time and its tough stepping up into the hot seat but he is an intelligent man so there'll be no fear of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

For the Kilkenny game this weekend, will Corbett & Kelly get a run out do ye think? Going to be a very tough game, Nowlan park always is. Hopefully Bergin steps up a bit more.

Comordha wrote: »
    For the Kilkenny game this weekend, will Corbett & Kelly get a run out do ye think? Going to be a very tough game, Nowlan park always is. Hopefully Bergin steps up a bit more.

Is Lar fit yet? Id nearly hold off for now. Surprised Eoin Kelly came back tbh. Ive the utmost respect for the legend but i think his race is run tbh.

• Advertisement

Under 21s play Kilkenny on Sunday at 11am in O'Loughlin Gaels GAA grounds which are adjacent to Nowlan Park. Admission is 5 euro

Advertisement