Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

Congrats to all Tipp lads involved on the WIT team that won the Fitzgibbon Cup today, Tomas Hamill Joe O Dwyer and Liam McGrath all started for WIT with John O Dwyer and Conor Hammersley playing for CIT.
    Final score WIT 0-17 CIT 0-12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

1.8 to 2 points for the footballers at half time vs London over in England, looks like it's going to be a handy 2 points.

1.8 to 2 points for the footballers at half time vs London over in England, looks like it's going to be a handy 2 points.

Really need to drive up the score difference in this one. Don't London have a Tipperary lady playing corner back for them?

Ompala wrote: »
    Congrats to all Tipp lads involved on the WIT team that won the Fitzgibbon Cup today, Tomas Hamill Joe O Dwyer and Liam McGrath all started for WIT with John O Dwyer and Conor Hammersley playing for CIT.
    Final score WIT 0-17 CIT 0-12.

Was Mouse marking Bubbles out of curiosity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

Was Mouse marking Bubbles out of curiosity ?

I know Bubbles is John O Dwyer, guessing Joe is Mouse?
    Only caught the second half of it, didn't seem like they were, Hamill had a very good performance, strong in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Tipperary GAA > Match Report > Senior Hurling challenge game – Tipperary 3-30 Wexford 2-17
    Senior Hurling challenge game – Tipperary 3-30 Wexford 2-17
    Tipperary defeated Wexford by 3-30 to 2-17 in a Senior Hurling challenge game played at Dr. Morris Park Thurles on Saturday afternoon.

The Tipperary team and scorers were as follows – Darren Gleeson (Portroe); Cathal Barrett (Holycross-Ballycahill), Conor O’Mahony (Newport), Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields); Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch, 0-1), Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields), Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields); Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh, 0-1 free), James Woodlock (Drom & Inch, 0-1); Michael Heffernan (Nenagh Eire Og, 0-4), Noel McGrath (Loughmore-Castleiney, 0-3, 0-1 free), Conor Kenny (Borris-Ileigh, 2-5, 0-2 frees); Jason Forde (Silvermines, 0-2), Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch, 0-3, 0-2 frees), Patrick Maher (Lorrha). Subs: Darragh Egan (Kildangan), Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons), Padraig Heffernan (Clonoulty-Rossmore), Seamus Kennedy (St. Mary’s Clonmel, 0-3), David Collins (Drom & Inch, 0-3, 0-1 sideline cut), Ruairi Gleeson (Kildangan), Kieran Morris (Moycarkey-Borris), Tadhg Gallagher (Kildangan, 1-0), Shane Bourke (JK Brackens, 0-4).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Good Result for Footballers. Well Done Lads!

Tipperary defeated London by 1-19 to 1-7 in round 3 of the Allianz Football League Division 4 on Sunday March 2nd at Ruislip.

Tipperary led by 1-8 to 0-2 at half-time. Barry Grogan scored the Tipperary goal from a penalty after Brian Fox was fouled. London reduced the deficit to 5 points early in the second half but Tipperary finished strongly using all 6 subs and ran out 12 point winners.

Team News

The Tipperary team to play London in round 3 of the Allianz Football League on Sunday next at Ruislip shows four changes from the side which drew with Waterford in round 2. Alan Campbell, Robbie Kiely, Lorcan Egan and Cathal Dillon come in to the team in place of Paddy Codd, Ger Mulhare, George Hannigan and Michael Quinlivan.

TIPPERARY (SF v London) – Paul Fitzgerald (Fethard); Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers), John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy), Andrew Morrissey (Galtee Rovers); Robbie Kiely (Arravale Rovers – Captain), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Donagh Leahy (Arravale Rovers), Steven O’Brien (Ballina), Lorcan Egan (JK Brackens); Philip Austin (Borrisokane), Barry Grogan (Aherlow), Conal McCullagh (Clonmel Commercials); Brian Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty), Cathal Dillon (Aherlow), Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

big game next week in the curtain raiser i would put it down as clare's hardest game of the league, tipp demolished us in ennis last year and i was very surprised ye didnt go up last year, acheson,austin,fox and barry grogan are all class footballers and would make most teams in the country still cant understand how waterford manage to hold them to a draw,

i would happily sacrifice a defeat in the hurling for a win in the football next week given the amount of times we have falling at the last hurdle year after year in terms of gaining promotion and i dont fancy our chances against antrim in creggen on the last game of the league

although most likely i will miss these events as a result of been shot for sugesting a tipp hurling victory over clare next week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

still cant understand how waterford manage to hold them to a draw,

eek :eek:

Complacency, and I was told that from one of the players....not cracker!

They'd a huge win over Carlow in the previous game.

big game next week in the curtain raiser i would put it down as clare's hardest game of the league, tipp demolished us in ennis last year and i was very surprised ye didnt go up last year, acheson,austin,fox and barry grogan are all class footballers and would make most teams in the country still cant understand how waterford manage to hold them to a draw,

i would happily sacrifice a defeat in the hurling for a win in the football next week given the amount of times we have falling at the last hurdle year after year in terms of gaining promotion and i dont fancy our chances against antrim in creggen on the last game of the league

although most likely i will miss these events as a result of been shot for sugesting a tipp hurling victory over clare next week :eek:

Football game should never have been played in Clonmel, it should have been played in Thurles, could yet cost us promotion. Imagine the distance people in Borrisokane have to travel to Clonmel. Good job Philly Austin came down. On the other hand Waterford supporters just had to travel in the road from their football heartland.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    Football game should never have been played in Clonmel, it should have been played in Thurles, could yet cost us promotion. Imagine the distance people in Borrisokane have to travel to Clonmel. Good job Philly Austin came down. On the other hand Waterford supporters just had to travel in the road from their football heartland.

In fairness, the Borrisokane crowd on top of the many other north and south Tipperarians are hardly stampeding into Semple to see the footballers either.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Are the Cratloe lads still playing Football for Clare or have they gone back playing Hurling ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Are the Cratloe lads still playing Football for Clare or have they gone back playing Hurling ?

its only sean and podge collins that are playing football and mainly because there father is the manager they are still involved with the hurling panel and i expect podge to play with the hurlers next week , i think colm collins and davy sat down a few weeks ago and worked out what fixtures they could play in.

davy said he wanted both players for the game sunday so i soppose thats why he allowed them to play with the footballers last week in london as opposed dublin in the hurling, podge came on as a sub against kilkenny

its only sean and podge collins that are playing football and mainly because there father is the manager they are still involved with the hurling panel and i expect podge to play with the hurlers next week , i think colm collins and davy sat down a few weeks ago and worked out what fixtures they could play in.

davy said he wanted both players for the game sunday so i soppose thats why he allowed them to play with the footballers last week in london as opposed dublin in the hurling, podge came on as a sub against kilkenny

Quite incredible when you consider how instrumental Podge is to the Clare hurlers esp last year. Arguably as important as Tony Kelly and if not perhaps not far off him.

Anyhow i would hope that there will be a good turn out next week for what will be a unique event. Both counties could well top their division in each code so there is so much at stake. It really will be a brilliant day to be either a Tipperary or a Clare fan so get there early to lend your support

In fairness, the Borrisokane crowd on top of the many other north and south Tipperarians are hardly stampeding into Semple to see the footballers either.

The impossible we can do straight away, miracles take a little longer. Semple really suits Tipp Footballers. Players in their home venue rarely need to look up to see where the posts are. Maybe one day soon we footballers will be singing "We shall overcome" along with "Slievenamon". Anyone want to sponsor a club competition for 2015, well there is a high profile football competiton without a sponsor for next year.

As someone from North Tipp , I go to as many Football games as possible , but Clonmel is too far for me to travel to regularly .

Quite incredible when you consider how instrumental Podge is to the Clare hurlers esp last year. Arguably as important as Tony Kelly and if not perhaps not far off him.

Anyhow i would hope that there will be a good turn out next week for what will be a unique event. Both counties could well top their division in each code so there is so much at stake. It really will be a brilliant day to be either a Tipperary or a Clare fan so get there early to lend your support

Here is a quote from Podge in relation to both codes , brilliant attitude :

So, is there more of an emphasis on hurling or football in Cratloe?

Originally, it would have been seen as a hurling stronghold but there’s been a bit of a shift lately. Everyone is happy once we are winning and we are happy to enjoy either code as long as there is a bit of success.

As someone from North Tipp , I go to as many Football games as possible , but Clonmel is too far for me to travel to regularly .

Fair play to you but with all due respect your just one case. Fact is that the vast majority (North or South) wouldn't support the Tipp footballers at present if they were playing in their back garden.

Its a pity but it is what it is i suppose. Hypocritically though, the minors of 2011 gained huge support with their exploits.
    The Tipp footballers are in a catch 22. They'll only get support if they are playing within the highest standard and they depend heavily on support if they are to get to the highest standard.

Let's show a bit of respect and appreciation for visiting teams and their fans, for many of them their first visit to the best stadium in Munster.

The footballers always play well there. Win or lose footballers will play well against Clare!

I saw visiting fans from Antrim gob smacked after entering the New Stand at their first view of the stadium.

SCORERS – Tipperary: C Sweeney 0-9 (4fs), B Grogan 1-2 (1-0 pen, 1f), P Acheson, P Austin 0-2 each, M Quinlivan, B Fox, C McCullagh, D Leahy 0-1 each. London: S Hickey 1-0 (pen), M Gottsche 1 '45', 1f), S Kelly (1f) 0-2 each, C McCarron, M Miskelly, A Moyles 0-1 each.

LONDON – D Traynor 6; P Butler 6, S Curran 5, D McCarthy 5; S Hannon 5, S Kelly 7, C McCarron 8; M Carroll 6, G Crowley 6; J Feeney 6, M Gottsche 6, M Miskelly 6; S Mulligan 5, E O'Neill 6, C Magee 6. Subs: B Mitchell 5 for Hannon (BC, 26), S Hickey 6 for O'Neill (30), L Colfer 6 for Feeney (50), D McGreevey 5 for McCarthy (55), B Collins 6 for McGreevey (BC, 61), A Moyles 7 for Magee (55).

TIPPERARY – P Fitzgerald 7; A Campbell 6, J Coghlan 7, A Morrissey 7; R Kiely 7, P Acheson 7, D Leahy 7; S O'Brien 7, G Hannigan 6; P Austin 7, B Grogan 8, C McCullagh 7; B Fox 7, M Quinlivan 7, C Sweeney 9. Subs: L Egan 6 for Campbell (44), G Mulhair 7 for Morrissey (44), I Fahey 6 for McCullagh (62), G Hally 6 for Austin (58), C Dillon 6 for Grogan (53), B O'Brien 6 for S O'Brien (BC, 65).

Ref – F Barry (Kildare)

George Hannigan and Michael Quinlivan started for Tipp , despite not being named in the original team . 9 points from Conor Sweeney , a lad that has come on a lot in the last year .

• Advertisement

You're not convinced by Hannigan?

Lacks a lot of pace. You probably need to be an MD McCauley type to excel in midfield these times where your covering every blade of grass. Good honest lad though.

No , TG sums it up perfectly .

Didn't experiment with him at FF before? What would your midfield be?

Didn't experiment with him at FF before? What would your midfield be?

Colin O`Riordan would be my first choice , excellent at gathering kick outs and a strong lively young fellow who will get better . Peter Acheson to partner him .

Footballers play Waterford tomorrow in Clonmel.

How about a bit of moral support as attendance will be very poor.

Time for more Tipp fans to get behind the footballers, they work very hard and deserve recognition for their efforts.

did you make the game yourself?

Let's show a bit of respect and appreciation for visiting teams and their fans, for many of them their first visit to the best stadium in Munster.

The footballers always play well there. Win or lose footballers will play well against Clare!

I saw visiting fans from Antrim gob smacked after entering the New Stand at their first view of the stadium.

You've made the same point on numerous occasions re using thurles.
    Have you not wondered why Dublin play matches in Parnell park as opposed to croker, or Cork in pairc ui rinn instead of pairc ui chaoimh? Its down to scale.
    The attendances don't justify the opening of the larger pitches.
    I don't know the figures but apparrantly below a certain attendance figure the GAA loose money opening croke park. I dare say that they might loose money opening semple for some of our hurling league games.
    Did you see semple the last time we played kerry there in the munster championship? Pathetic attendance. you cant blame pitch choice either. Think there might be other factors at play!

digzy wrote: »
    did you make the game yourself?

You are the one who posted the offensive comment about the goalkeeper. I am not a moderator but I am sure they do not like to see posts like that on their site.

For your info I was in Salthill last year for the qualifier against Galway, in Mullingar for the qualifier against Down the year before, also been to Drogheda for a qualifier against Louth.

I do not know why I bother to answer your post as what I do in my life is my own business.

Maybe you should go and meet the goalkeeper and apologise for your gratuitous insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Folks, keep it civil please. Nobody has gone against the forum charter yet, and would prefer for it to remain that way.

I know people can have contrasting views on Hurling/Football/GAA topics, and also have senses of humour that are just as contrasting, but it is not worth letting turn into a full on bicker that draws mod attention.

• Advertisement

You are the one who posted the offensive comment about the goalkeeper. I am not a moderator but I am sure they do not like to see posts like that on their site.

For your info I was in Salthill last year for the qualifier against Galway, in Mullingar for the qualifier against Down the year before, also been to Drogheda for a qualifier against Louth.

I do not know why I bother to answer your post as what I do in my life is my own business.

Maybe you should go and meet the goalkeeper and apologise for your gratuitous insult.

I'll take that as a no.You're correct. what you do with your life is your own business. However, It's a bit rich calling people out for a game you didn't attend yourself.

As regards the keeper, I didn't ' gratuitously insult' him as you so erroneously put it. He's a magnificent keeper, but I doubt there's a player in this years football championship in worse shape. His team mates laugh about the fact that he 'does his own training' too!
    His BMI (if you use his stats on the tipp gaa site which I'd doubt by the look of him) is almost 30 which is borderline obese. Now, I'm not saying he'd be a better keeper were he lighter but he IS overweight and almost obese. No getting away from it.

Now, while I pondered his ability to return to his goal, were he the freetaker 'tongue in cheek', It would be an issue given his fitness.

Advertisement